Can you lift weights a month after FUT, or will it make the scar worse?

This is a subject where you'll hear different answers about what time is best. Personally I believe everyone is different in terms of which time is best because everyone's scalp laxity is different. If you are still feeling tightness in the scar area then I would recommend giving it a few more weeks. For many people one month is enough time, but sometimes it's best to wait around 2 months with heavy weights. Also you can tell if you feel discomfort and extra tension in the back of your head while working out, so that could be your gauge. Use your best judgement.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I would say that's too early to be doing weight lifting. Returning to jogging and cardio is ok once the grafts are secure, but you do risk having the scar stretch that early. I would say 2 weeks at the earliest. Again like I said you'll hear many different answers.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

• 3 weeks later...

If you value your surgery and hair, give your scalp time to heal. Remember, doing weights will release testosterone and cortisol which is a stress hormone that helps release amino acids that rebuild your muscles but may also rob your body of skin healing nutrition. I would say concentrate on a good nutritional supplement for skin healing and get your Doc. to check the scar before you go into the gym and hit the big weights again. After all, you value your hair and a couple of months nutritional rest doesn`t diminish your muscle sets to much.

I get nervous when I hear such wildly divergent views: 7 days vs. 2 months+ .

I checked your profile - sorry! - but you haven't had it done yet, right?

So what I'm gonna tell u is this.

If you get strip, lift weights and your scar stretches, or doesn't stretch, either way, you deserve everything you get.

People like me have been warning people on forums for years about strip scars, in the face of all kinds of righteous nonsense from reps and docs and well-wishers.

They can't guarantee you a good scar even if you never lift diddly squat! How can they guarantee you'll be OK with 20kgs after two weeks or whatever.

They'll say avoid neck stretching type exercises etc., which is very wise of them, but seriously, the unpredictable nature of strip scar healing allows them (docs and reps) to say all kinds of rubbish when it comes to numbers dates, timelines. All they gotta do is add a disclaimer at the end by saying, everybody is different.

So when they tell you 7-14 days is OK, then you get some poster chiming in saying he lifted after a month and was fine, and then, presto! We have a 'theory' about when it is safe to do weights!

Nuts.

Ice cream, there is no way to know how much better your scar would have been had you not lifted.

Jogging does not feel to me to stretch the scar. But weight lifting even tiny weights makes the scar feel like it is stretching.

I get nervous when I hear such wildly divergent views: 7 days vs. 2 months+ .
Just play it safe and use the guideline that's on the higher end of the spectrum. The upside of returning to the gym too soon is virtually zero and the downside is you end up messing up your work that you paid tons of money to have done.

Wait at least 2 months post op.

You're an idiot if you start pushing yourself in the gym any earlier.

2-3 months wait to getting back in the gym isn't much price to pay for a nice thin scar.

It is also advisable to refrain from doing sit-ups or any type of activity involving strectching that would put undo tension on the neck or donor area. :rolleyes:

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 6 years later...

This is an informative thread.  I am 5 weeks post op in a few days and am thinking of going back to the gym.  Maybe I’ll hold off.  My Dr did say to not do exercises that would stretch the scar.  But weight may be tough.  I guess I may h e to test it out one day to see if I’m ready, my scar is healed but there is some numbness,  possibly some tightness but not nearly as much since my sutures have been out.

Follow your respective physician's instructions to the T and you'll be with peace of mind.

Some surgeons give you guidlines or specific instructions about when you can begin lifting again.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

• 10 months later...

If you had a FUHT procedure where a strip was removed, you definitely want to wait for at least 6 months post-op IMHO or possibly run the risk of the scar stretching.

There are 2 layers of scalp tissue involved in the healing process, and it's the inner dermis layer that takes much longer to heal.  So even though the outer layer (epidermis) layer is completely healed, the scar can still potentially stretch if undo tension is put on the area with heavy weight lifting, stretching that puts tension on the scar, etc.

It's very important to regain complete laxity in the donor area post-op and will simply take time.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Never disregard the disclaimer " IMHO" or "I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk." 

I am opposed to offering silly rationale that make no sense to someone with medical knowledge or with no studies or evidence supporting it, even when it seems to someone with no medical knowledge to make sense. This is why they do clinical trials. 

• 3 years later...

I advise waiting at least a month before starting weightlifting after FUT surgery. This allows for proper healing of the incision site and reduces the risk of damaging the scar or causing harm to the transplanted hair follicles, especially for FUT!

Edited by Dr. Guncel Ozturk
  • Like 1