What is the best shampoo?

I understand that there is no good data on whether any particular shampoo deters hair loss, much yet data on which one does it best. This website sells Tricom, Nizoral, and Revita.

One doc told me that Nizoral does nothing, and I should use any shampoo with 2% zinc, which is what Head and Shoulders has.

I am most concerned with a shampoo that deters balding, but would also like one that voluminizes.

Anyway, does anyone know of any study that is good evidence one particular shampoo is best?

Doesn't Nizoral contain 2% ketoconazole which inhibits DHT or assists in maintaining hair? I could be wrong though. I use Revita which contains 1% ketoconazole but isn't rough on the scalp like Nizoral. Regenupure is also good as it contains ketoconazole as well as Saw Palmetto which is said to inhibit DHT, I will be trying Regenpure soon and alternating with Revita. Both Revita and Regenpure are SLS free too. They are however much more expensive than your supermarket store brands but well worth it, very dense and last a long time.

For volumizing I most often use L'Oreal Vive for Men. However, this shampoo will do nothing to treat hair loss. I also use Nizoral twice weekly. It may or may not work as a hair loss treatment but I do like the way it makes my hair feel.

For more info on Nizoral check out the following article from our Hair Loss Q&A Blog...

Does Ketoconazole Work as a Hair Loss Treatment?

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

rsn,

Personally, I believe that only minoxidil and finasteride have any real measurable effect on hair growth. However, as I've mentioned in other discussions I quit finasteride months ago. I now only use minoxidil twice daily and Nizoral twice weekly.

I don't really put much stock in shampoos in general or other herbal and natural treatments.

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

Well, there is nothing herbal or natural about nizoral, zinc, or copper peptite. Anyone who has done research knows that there is overwhelmingly more evidence that minoxidil and finasteride work, as opposed to shampoos. Why did you quit finasteride? Sexual side effects? That got me to use finasteride on a very limited basis.

Well, there is nothing herbal or natural about nizoral, zinc, or copper peptite. Anyone who has done research knows that there is overwhelmingly more evidence that minoxidil and finasteride work, as opposed to shampoos. Why did you quit finasteride? Sexual side effects? That got me to use finasteride on a very limited basis.

Minoxidil is topical which is why alot more people are comfortable using it as opposed to Proprecia, same goes with Ketoconazale(spelling) Saw Palmetto, azaliac acid etc that are found in hairloss shampoos. It's not about being herbal or natural. They might not be as effective as Proprecia, but the potential side effects are much less daunting as those ingredients are not taken internally.

Ummm...yeah, I know. I am using Nizoral as I stated above. You asked why I choose not to use "any of the other shampoos that claim to reduce balding, like Tricomin, Revivogen?" Simply put I don't see the point. I am using Rogaine and Nizoral. Beyond minoxidil and finasteride, any other additions to a hair loss regimen are purely experimental in my opinion. Some like to add Biotin and MSM to their routine or combinations of various shampoos, etc. I've tried different things myself over the past three or four years and found a regimen I'm happy with. When I see compelling evidence that shows me I should change that regimen I'll certainly do so.

You can read about why I have stopped using finasteride here, Stopping Finasteride for Now.

Nothing natural about cooper peptides?? "Copper peptides are naturally occurring small protein fragments that have high affinity to copper ions." "Copper peptide GHK-Cu was isolated from human plasma Albumin in 1973."

Zinc is also natural by the way.

You sound like a noob Zinc is natural.

I use Boots own brand generic 'Nizoral' once every 5 days. It removed any flaxyness from the scalp which I'm sure is good for helping minoxidil absorption.

Alpecin has done nothing for my hair loss but I continue to use it as it does the job as far as a shampoo goes.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

• 4 weeks later...

To my knowledge, rsn, there are but two studies pertaining to the ability of an ingredient in some of these shampoos to impede hairloss, that ingredient being ketoconozale (kcz) 2%, the active ingredient and concentration in Nizoral 2%. As you know, Nizoral 2% is sold as a prescription antifungal shampoo with a high lipid content, which helps the ktc to rapidly absorb into the scalp. Other shampoos with lower concentrations of kcz are Nizoral 1%, Revita (1%), and Regenepure (1%). These shampoos also contain other ingredients that are believed to be beneficial to overall scalp health and follicular growth (e.g., copper peptides, zinc).

Of the two studies in question, one was a rodent study suggesting that kcz increases hairgrowth in mice. The second study is a human study conducted in 1998 by doctors in the Department of Dermatopathology at the University of Liege, Belgium. That (small) study compared kcz 2% shampoo with 2% minoxidil for their antinflammatory activity as a treatment for alopecia. The results of this small sample study were that "Hair density and size and proportion of anagen follicles were improved almost similarly by both KCZ and minoxidil regimens." The conclusion of the study was that "there may be a significant action of KCZ upon the course of androgenic alopecia and that Malassezia spp. may play a role in the inflammatory reaction" but that "the clinical significance of the results awaits further controlled study in a larger group of subjects."

I started using Nizoral 2% 2 - 3 times per week a month ago. I saw positive results on general scalp and hair quality from the outset. Whether it impedes or even reverses hairloss for me remains to be scene with longer term use. I also have been on finasteride 1% for 8 months and began supplementing that with .5 mg Avodart once per week in hopes that the possible synergistic effect discussed on this board pays dividends.

Are there any studies for which shampoo voluminizes best? (I am not talking about voluminizing by giving you more hair. I am talking about voluminizing in the temporary way.) I've noticed shampoos that claim to voluminize actually do it a lot better than normal shampoos.

I alternate between Revita and Regenepure. Both are great. Revita is probably the higher quality shampoo and leaves the hair feeling more invigorated and fuller while Regenepure has better ingredients in it(both have Ketoconozale but Regenepure has Saw Palmetto etc). On off days and before applying the aforementioned shampoos I use HLCC Scripts DHT inhibitor shampoo which smells devine, leaves the hair thick and strong and has great ingredients in it. None of these shampoos contain SLS in it.

• 2 weeks later...

Regenepure hands down!! I have used nizoral 2% and revita and regenepure is the BEST - use the regenepure conditioner every other day to prevent dryness. I really believe it is the best - also add the mironeedle - google it trust me IT WORKS. Notice major results after 5-6 weeks.

I googled microneedle. Are you talking about this: MTS-Roller: Clinical Data Microneedle therapy enhances any topical hair loss treatment product and stimulates natural repair pathways to support skin healing and maintain healthy hair growth. ?

I did not find any doctor who says it does anything for hair loss. Are you aware of any doctor who says it does or any study that says it does?

That is correct it enhances hairloss topical solutions - it works trust me! I noticed my hair getting thicker and there is not near the amount of hairloss I was experience.

check out www.hairlossfromsteroids.com - click on recomended products. THis guy uses products for about 2 month then videos himself reviewing the product. Check it out

Studies show people's self assessments are highly inaccurate. Most people believe they can distinguish between coke and pepsi, but the blind tests shows that most people can't. How do you know that guy in the video isn't a paid hack?

Is there any doctor or study that recommends this product? If it really did work, wouldn't there be?

I thought the same thing - however I said what the heck I will give it a try lipogaine, microneedle and regenepure. It has been just over 2 months and I can tell you that when I shampoo there is maybe 2-3 hairs in my hand v.s. have over 15 prior to me starting.

I really believe the microneedle and lipogaine work (check out the ingredients of lipogaine impressive). But I too wondered/wonder if he is paid - regardless what he is saying works.

Also some other reviews are negative - he rates regenepure much better than revita. And has some negative things to say about other products.