Surgeons familiar with african amreican hair

I've been doing a lot of research lately trying to find a good HT surgeon, but don't see too many that have a lot of experience with african american hair. Does anybody have any references? Thx

Dr. Sanusi Umar in Redondo Beach California:

Dr. Umar a Los Angeles Hair Transplant Surgeon|FUE|BHT | DermHairClinic

African American Hair Loss Solved with Follicular Unit Extraction:

Hair Transplant Repair Video of African American Male | DermHairClinic

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

Mixed,

Working with African American hair can definitely be a challenge. However, most of our recommended hair transplant surgeons have successfully completed cases with a large number of African American patients and understand the delicate nature of dealing with these follicular unit grafts.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

We do black guys' hair. On one hand you have the potential disadvantage of hypertrophic scarring and keloid formation if you do a strip... but on the other hand you have this thick wirey hair that gives better coverage than most other races' hair.

Using a tree analogy, asian hair is like skinny arbor vitae trees, average white guy hair is like bushy leyland cypress trees, arab hair is like a weeping willow, and african hair is like a big oak tree.

You can cover an acre pretty well with a couple of oaks, a few willows, a bunch of leyland cypress', and you'll never cover an acre-but you can get some coverage-with a ton of arbor vitae trees.

In most cases, donor "trees", rather than money in the bank, is the scarce resource that has to managed conservatively.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the advice. So I'm planning on scheduling a procedure with a very reputable doc, but he doesn't have any before/after pics of my hair type. They're are no pics on their website, on this site or anywhere else on the web. I've been talking with the patient advisor and he says he's working on getting some pics for me, but he still hasn't been able to find any successfully. The patient advisor "says" that they're worked on patients with AA hair and have had good results just like the rest. I know this doc does very good work with straight hair, but I'd feel better after seeing some pics with my hair type. What should I do?

Thanks for all the advice. So I'm planning on scheduling a procedure with a very reputable doc, but he doesn't have any before/after pics of my hair type. They're are no pics on their website, on this site or anywhere else on the web. I've been talking with the patient advisor and he says he's working on getting some pics for me, but he still hasn't been able to find any successfully. The patient advisor "says" that they're worked on patients with AA hair and have had good results just like the rest. I know this doc does very good work with straight hair, but I'd feel better after seeing some pics with my hair type. What should I do?

Just wait and consult with a couple of other docs. Don't rush into this better to take your time and make a decision your totally comfortable with

I've seen good results from both Dr. Lindsey and Dr. Cooley.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D