Feller Medical - Be Extremley Careful Paying Over Deposit

Guys,

I am here to share my experience and to warn to be extremely careful paying over a deposit to Feller Medical. They are strictly non refundable and i have been informed mine is not being returned under any circumstances.

Although they are now pointing to their website disclaimer which has a non refundable disclaimer on it. At No Point did anyone from Feller Medical make me aware of this prior to me paying my deposit. This includes my interactions with Spex (which there were various) or through speaking to the secretary Marcia who took my deposit over the phone.

All of my research on HT's was through the forums so i was obviously not aware of anything like that regarding the deposit. I am now in the situation where i have had to come off finasteride more than bout 8 months ago.

My loss has now severely progressed and i have buzzed my hair down. So with this along with additional financial constraints, its very apparent to me i am no longer a viable candidate for FUE which is the only surgery i would consider.

When i tried to contact Feller Medical regarding retrieving my deposit back (around 5 months ago). After being continually ignored for all this time without a solitary reply and chasing via registered letters , emails , phone calls. I was finally informed last week it would not be returned under any circumstances.

I find this beyond belief and a totally unscrupulous way to conduct business to say the least. I am now in the process of lodging an action in a local small claims court in order to try retrieve the funds back amongst other things.

My advice to you is to be extremely careful before paying over any deposits to this company and bare the above in mind should your circumstances change.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't comment on your case but it seems pretty clear on the website.

If you booked the procedure and rang back a day later to cancel then I could understand you being a bit miffed. However, if it was a couple of months after then the Dr would have ordered all the medications for your op, booked the technicians to come in on that particular day etc. I think then it would be quite reasonable to keep the bulk of the deposit.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

the issue of returning deposits is a tricky one.

i am a business owner and will always try to refund a deposit if for some reason a job has to be cancelled or moved. obviously in some cases it might not always be possible esp if a slot cant be filled at short notice however id say if plenty of notice is given it is usually possible to do something for client.

my philosophy is that they will generally come back to you later on and inbetween will have only positive things to say to others.

i am not aware of the specifics in this instance however if you were indeed ignored like you say i find this totally UNACCEPTABLE!!

My situation was i put the deposit down in 2008. Credit crisis hit, couldn't get the bank to loan me the money. I at that stage opted to keep the deposit there instead of asking for it back (in hindsight a mistake ) and wait for credit markets to reopen. Because i was committed at the time to going ahead.

I never had a solid date in the calender or even came within months of having a date so Feller medical are keeping those funds for answering a phone call and taking my card details. Fair eh.?

I was informed a while back by Spex that Dr Feller was no longer doing big FUE sessions. Only small scale ones and strip so instead of returning my deposit he could t/f my deposit over to the other Dr he represents Dr Lindsay. He would do large FUE sessions.

This was around the time coincided with me experiencing severe side effects from finasteride and coming off it leading to severe loss progression . I am no longer a candidate for FUE and i wont consider strip. This along with financial issues meant i was no longer a viable candidate.

The whole thing stinks badly in my opinion. Ive had several kicks in the teeth this year ive endured as above and not been able to proceed with the HT has left me extremley disappointed. This is now just the icing on the cake.

More to your story is needed. How close to the surgery were you?

Pointing to a website with a policy may not be enough. You should have been informed in writing at the time of your deposit. As far as I know, a website notation is not proof of being informed. What if you were a blind man who wanted a hair transplant? Or what if you never visited their website? They would either need proof that they referred you to their wesbite or proof that they orally informed you and you consented.

See recent reply above. I never even came within months of a date. I immediately became aware the bank wouldnt loan the money and told spex i couldnt proceed so we never had a date confirmed.

What you said is exactly my gripe here. If they pointed the non refundable deposit disclaimer out to me prior to me putting the deposit down or showed me a contract i would have no issue here. It would be my tough luck. But this didnt happen.

That why for what its worth im going to the small claims court. Its just plain unfair.

When was your deposit and when was your date of surgery?

Every clinic has their own deposit price and refund policy. Some clinics on this forum have a policy that states a deposit is refundable up to three weeks (21 days) prior to your procedure. Some clinics may have a policy that they need at least 30 days notice or so in order to give you only half refund if you cancel because they have to find a replacement or they lose money. It is very hard to find someone ready to fill your spot unless they offer a discount to a prospective patient to come in on short notice and that means the clinic loses money. So, some clinics may refund if your surgery is far from the surgery date but if it is too close to call then it could be a serious financial loss for the doc.

Bob I am sorry to hear about your dilemna. There are always two sides to every story so it would be interesting to hear what spex and Dr. Feller have to say. Hopefully you will allow them to disclose all information that is relivant to your dilemna. I am not saying you are right or wrong but I think its important and right to hear both sides of the story.

Every clinic has their own policy concerning refunding deposit. Both Dr. Feller and Spex have a great reputation and have always answered concerns professially and promply.

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

My situation was i put the deposit down in 2008. Credit crisis hit, couldn't get the bank to loan me the money. I at that stage opted to keep the deposit there instead of asking for it back (in hindsight a mistake ) and wait for credit markets to reopen. Because i was committed at the time to going ahead.

I never had a solid date in the calender or even came within months of having a date so Feller medical are keeping those funds for answering a phone call and taking my card details. Fair eh.?

I was informed a while back by Spex that Dr Feller was no longer doing big FUE sessions. Only small scale ones and strip so instead of returning my deposit he could t/f my deposit over to the other Dr he represents Dr Lindsay. He would do large FUE sessions.

This was around the time coincided with me experiencing severe side effects from finasteride and coming off it leading to severe loss progression . I am no longer a candidate for FUE and i wont consider strip. This along with financial issues meant i was no longer a viable candidate.

The whole thing stinks badly in my opinion. Ive had several kicks in the teeth this year ive endured as above and not been able to proceed with the HT has left me extremley disappointed. This is now just the icing on the cake.

With no surgery date set, I don't know how that deposit refund policy works.

In your situation, you say you didn't have a date set which doesn't make sense?

I mean usually you have to confirm a date around the time of booking and if you can't make it on that date and if you give months notice if you can't make it then doctors usually reschedule you for later. When you put a deposit, your basically buying a time slot for the day of surgery which confirms a doctor has a real patient that is interested in surgery and other patients wont be booked on the date as you. With my doctor, I booked mine a year in advance and was told I could reschedule it at no cost if I gave enough days notice. At the time of booking, they needed a deposit to secure a special introductory offer at the time and as well as to confirm my actual date of procedure.

Why would you put a deposit down if you wre not setting a date? A deposit is paid in order to lock in a date. If you paid a deposit and a date was not set, what was the point of the deposit and why would Feller medical even accept a deposit without asking you for a desired date?

Secondly, you put it down in 2008 and only recently asked for it back? Why would you wait so long and why would your logic be to just let them hold onto the money for years when it could be in your bank account making money?

What am I missing here?

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

With no surgery date set, I don't know how that deposit refund policy works.

In your situation, you say you didn't have a date set which doesn't make sense?

I mean usually you have to confirm a date around the time of booking and if you can't make it on that date and if you give months notice if you can't make it then doctors usually reschedule you for later. When you put a deposit, your basically buying a time slot for the day of surgery which confirms a doctor has a real patient that is interested in surgery and other patients wont be booked on the date as you. With my doctor, I booked mine a year in advance and was told I could reschedule it at no cost if I gave enough days notice. At the time of booking, they needed a deposit to secure a special introductory offer at the time and as well as to confirm my actual date of procedure.

I think i paid a deposit for a slot in January several months in advance the following year. I then proceeded to try obtain the funds via the banks and was rebuffed and confirmed several months in advance i could not go ahead.

Why would you put a deposit down if you wre not setting a date? A deposit is paid in order to lock in a date. If you paid a deposit and a date was not set, what was the point of the deposit and why would Feller medical even accept a deposit without asking you for a desired date?

Secondly, you put it down in 2008 and only recently asked for it back? Why would you wait so long and why would your logic be to just let them hold onto the money for years when it could be in your bank account making money?

What am I missing here?

As i said i booked a provisional slot in January the following year which i confirmed i could not make several months in advance.

My situation was i could not get the finance from the banks for the loan but was still commited to the HT in the future as soon as i could get the finance. However things changed towards the end of last year when i had to come off Fin and my loss severly progressed. Along with other finanical obligations i feel im no longer a candidate for FUE and have buzzed down.

Would you be open to just getting part of the deposit back? Jezzzz this has been going on since 2008? From what I see they are not really at fault, but to make you go away I would think they might be open to giving you something back. As a business owner myself I know I would.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

I'm sure Spex will answer this thread, I'm interested in knowing both sides of this.

What I can say about Spex is that he's been fantastic in helping me from start to finish, I'm a little over 3 months post op and regard him highly.

I'm sure Spex will answer this thread, I'm interested in knowing both sides of this.

What I can say about Spex is that he's been fantastic in helping me from start to finish, I'm a little over 3 months post op and regard him highly.

I echo this sentiment. Dr feller to me seems More than fair in my dealings with him and most certainly an honest man and genuinely good dude. I've never met spex personally but all my online interactions with him have been nothing but positive and informative. Always 2 sides to a story...

After 4 years you want your deposit back after chopping and changing your mind?

It sounds like constant cold feet to me.

All my dealing with both Spex and Dr Feller have been nothing but professional.

They are two of the best guys in the business and from my personal experience they both individually have been excellent.

Dr Feller even gave me 650 grafts for free.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

After 4 years you want your deposit back after chopping and changing your mind?

It sounds like constant cold feet to me.

All my dealing with both Spex and Dr Feller have been nothing but professional.

They are two of the best guys in the business and from my personal experience they both individually have been excellent.

Dr Feller even gave me 650 grafts for free.

Of course then you would have that opinion. All i can share is my experience which has been nothing of the sort.

Hi bud

Sorry to hear you feel you have had a bum deal but is does say clearly on Dr Feller's website " non-refundable deposit ".

It also sounds like Dr Feller , Dr Linsey and Spex have tried to accomodate you on several occasions without sucess .

I have had two HTs with Dr Feller and have been dealing with Spex and Dr Feller since 2007 and have found them both to be respectable and honest .

I feel after this amount of time maybe you should notch this up to experience and maybe stop wasting your time and your energy dwelling over this any longer , you will only suceed in upsetting yourself further .

Richie

2100 crown grafts

Dr Feller

nov 2007

Guys,

Dr Feller is an incredibly generous and kind man as many already know, but this isn't about generosity or kindness. He also doesn't give into threats, blackmail or extortion simply to avoid confrontation online.

This topic will actually only help educate others just as other very similar topics have done in the past which obviously missed this poster on his research via the forums. However allow me to clarify and clear up any confusion caused by the poster here and add information along with facts to help, which have conveniently been left out so far...

This patient paid his deposit with on concerns or questions in August 2008 for the specific surgery date 16th January 2009 for a day FUE session.

It states very clearly deposits are non-refundable on Dr Fellers web site in bold text and other clinics website for that matter. I just dealt with a patient from another very reputable clinic who's visa was not passed in time and the deposit was not refunded. It is not just Feller Medical who do not refund deposits. It is stated on Dr Fellers site along side the pricing structure which all patients view. :

All patients who want to schedule a procedure will pay a $2,500 non-refundable deposit toward their surgery.

Costs - Hair Transplants New York / New Jersey, Long Island and International

This is unfortunate how Bobilero of all people has suddenly turned on me in an instant ( especially in another topic he wrote) after all my ongoing help and hard work. I am shocked that he is now trying to make me out to be the bad guy and shift the blame despite ALL the help i have tried to offer him personally over the last 4 years with all the emails, phone calls, we even met up 4 years ago. He put his $1500 ( 750 pounds at the time ) deposit down of HIS own accord 4 years ago.

Sometimes it's a case of simply accepting responsibility rather than trying to shift the blame.

Deposits are non refundable and run a search here and on the forums where ALL your research was supposedly done as other Doctors have had similar attacking topics written about them too regarding non refundable deposits.

The patient cancelled his original surgery date due to financial reasons supposedly after securing a date. He scheduled specifically for January 16th 2009 as you know back in August 2008. On cancelling it never once asked for his deposit back.

4 years on however since he placed his deposit he very recently wanted to rebook surgery with Dr Feller.

Subject: Re: Update

Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 15:52:26 +0000

To: spexhair@hotmail.co.uk

Hi mate. How are you? Looks like I'm sorted now finance wise to crack on with the op with the doc!

Suppose we need to look at dates. I'm thinking September. Let me know mate and we can go from there.

Cheers

XXX

Despite Dr Fellers recommendation of strip surgery and not FUE due to the demand , the patient only wanted FUE still.

Attempts were made successfully to move his deposit over to surgery with Dr Lindsey after a lengthy phone conversation we had to try help him out, as HE decided he only wanted FUE and Dr Lindsey was happy to help you via FUE over a 2 day session and costs would be loweer. The moving of the deposit was made possible for him from Dr Feller to Dr Lindsey even though the $1500 deposit ( 750 pounds) was made 4 years ago. After this was all arranged for him by myself at great length and it had been agreed by the Docs. HE then soon after, self diagnosed he was not an eligible candidate at this point.... Not by either a Dr Feller or Dr Lindsey.We feel he basically backed out when it became a reality.

His deposit is not lost and on hold as it has been for the last 4 years if he wanted to still have surgery in the future and he knows this.

I tried very much to help Bob obtain his deposit back as he knows after HE personally decided HT surgery was not for him. He conveniently twists it as if he was deceived all along through the process...,NOT the case, which he knows wasn't the case at all. He is clearly just bitter now that after 4 years after paying his deposit and wants it back and pissed off because he says he didnt know it was non refundable, even though its stated on the website clearly and there are topics discussed on the forums similar, where he did all his research even.

The patient was aware Dr Feller has been away from the office a great deal of late for personal reasons disclosed to him privately hence the lack of response to his emails and calls to the office.

Boberlio should have come down to see Dr Feller in London or Dublin in person on his recent trip and discussed this together face to face as i'm confident he would have helped for sure as i know, or thought, you are a decent guy... It is a real shame you have resorted to this in order to attack Dr Feller and me. Non the less he has personally emailed me informing me he now intends to attack us online on every forum possible and clearly going to try make Dr Feller pay hey. . . Wonders will never cease. I hope if he decides still to go on your forum attack rampage which you disclosed to me in a recent email you at least include ALL the facts above.

Despite not meeting Dr Feller to chat in person recently on his UK visit. You should seriously consider trying to meet Dr Feller in person to discuss this privately further and talk face to face as he really is not an unreasonable man, far from it, and deep down you know only too well as you have read many favourable testimonials regarding his immense generosity and were only too keen previously to have surgery with him only recently after the 4 years you have been researching HT's. He is back over in the UK in February.

Email the office directly if you want information as i'm no longer putting myself forward offering you my time and energy to try help only to be stabbed in the back.

All the very best anyway genuinely.

Spence

Spex, thats fine. I dont have any more plans to contunie contacting Feller medical just to be ignored. At this stage the local small claims court seems the only viable option. If it gets nowhere so be it. If there's any justice , you never know i might get something back. I'll still be vocal about it though to ensure other guys who have enough to worry about , don't get stung like i have.

I've been sending registered letters , emails and phone calls for nearly 5 months now to his office without a solitary reply. I doubt he has any interest in speaking to me now. You all of a sudden mention now on a forum i should have come see Dr Feller when he was here.? Why the hell i wonder did you or he never mention this before.? I've done nothing but try sort this situation amicably for months but have just been point blank ignored. I would have been open to this. I would have even been open to an agreement of receiving a reduced figure taking in to account mitigating factors but i've just been told tough luck and jog on basically per below.

Re: Deposit Return - Follow up

(Internet)

spexhair

To:

31/05/2012 17:25

to my knowledge Dr Feller is not intending to return your deposit last I spoke to him. Based on the fact it's non refundable.

The non refundable deposit is an industry standard and states its non refundable on his website.

Sorry mate but your deposit is not getting refunded. This will not change unfortunately, regardless of whatever means you attempt to try get it out of him so to speak, it will not happen.

Many others from various clinics have had the same thing happen and deposits just do not get refunded.

Be thankful I suppose that the deposit was only $1500 and not $2500 as that's what it is now.

Date: 17 April 2012 19:54:13 GMT+01:00

To:

Subject: Re: procedure Friday Jan 16th 2009 7:45am

Best call the office as they can't call overseas mate

Re: Deposit Return - Follow up

(Internet)

spexhair

To:

31/05/2012 17:50

If you feel venting will help you and it will mean Dr Feller haters can attack him then that's up to you.

However it's it just feller medical that do non refundable deposits and it's stated on websites.

I just dealt with a Rahal patient who didn't get a refund after his visa was denied.

Your deposit was paid a long time ago and monies have been taxed and accounted for a long time ago . It is what it is.

Best

S

And you doing your upmost to retrieve my deposit back is laughable. I came to you initially and you said its 100% non refundable pointing to the website disclaimer for the first time in the 4 years we've been dealing with each other.

I then stated i would really hate for this sour my opinion of Feller medical etc and to have to share this on the forums and take other means to get it back. You then said , Hang on the Dr is a reasonable guy and am sure he can help. Let me talk to him. You then told me to call them direct which i did and write to them detailing my circumstances. When i then stated i was having no joy getting any kind of a reply from Dr Feller's office. You just said word for word 'Ring the office - they cant call overseas'. That was all the help i got.

Date: 6 February 2012 18:55:33 GMT

To:

Subject: RE: procedure Friday Jan 16th 2009 7:45am

Rest assured i will do my best and i'm sure if you need the deposit back im sure the Doc will oblige.

FYI - If you see the website however it states the deposit is non refundable, and always did.

Leave it with me.

Also i might add i am only the messenger.

S

I then email last week looking for a reply which i have been chasing for months and CC'ing you and we have a 360 turn again where i'm not getting it back under any circumstances.

And you can paint yourself as the victim all you want being stabbled in the back but i'm on the only victim in this. I asked you at the time saying that i wasn't in the position to proceed due to the financial constraints. I said is it ok to leave the deposit there. You simply said no worries , let me know when your ready. I fully intended to proceed at that time so was happy to leave it there. You never once mentioned anything regarding the non refundable status of the deposit.

When we spoke initially several times regarding going ahead with a procedure you never once mentioned to me the deposit was non refundable. I was never once pointed to the disclaimer on the website by you or Martia in the office who took my deposit over the phone. This is my beef. If that would have happened , absolutely my tough luck. But NO ONE ever told me once or presented me with a contract or pointed out terms and conditions. That is the unethical bit my whole gripe is based on.

All my research for Dr Fellers work was not through his website but through the forums so i was simply not aware it was there. It was your duty as his UK rep to point this out to me along with his secretary Martia in the office.,

Regarding your help over the last few years , given our email interactions back then when i had some questions as a paying patient you have made a few hundred dollars per email pro rata so i wont lose any sleep about that. Also don't forget you are a paid representative of Feller Medical, i would class this as just doing your job. You are kidding yourself Spex saying i am turning on you. You would be equally pi$$ed off in my situation.

You were all very helpful as long as i was paying patient but as soon as my circumstances changed and i looked for the deposit returned, it was all very different. You told me initially it was refundable and then it wasnt and basically did not want to know after that. On one hand you now tell me the money has been taxed and accounted for and gone. And then on the other hand it was freely available to move to a procedure with Dr Lindsay who does FUE. That's handy, another Dr you represent.

Ok then How about i move my deposit to a prospective candidate from the UK and he pay me ?500.? Fyi $1500 is closer to ?900 at that time in 2008. check the rates.

This seems a fairer solution to me than Feller Medical keeping $1500 for answering a phone and taking my card details.

Guys,

This perspective patient's agenda now will be to try attack and insinuate he has been wronged by Dr Feller and we are evil, on here and potentially other topics which the moderators will hopefully see straight through and monitor. He is here to vent and cause trouble as we have been informed by him in emails as proof.

This is my last post on the topic despite any further insinuations or even lies as it is what it is. I will say this though that it is a grave shame despite all my personal ongoing efforts to help this patient over the last 4 years it has come to this.

Not true. You were officially scheduled in for the 16th January 2009 and you recieved the confirmation email along with the fact the topic title of the email is : Procedure Friday Jan 16th 2009 7:45am

We are sorry you have had "several kicks in the teeth" however taking your frustration out on us online is not really fair as all we have ever done is our best to help and i have had countless conversations and emails with you over the years never mind our meeting in person back in 2008. If you need us to be the punch bag now to vent then so be it but it is what it is and any further lies or insinuations will not be tolerated by Dr Feller i can assure you.

whatever Spex. 'Evil'.?! You have a quite ridiclulous way of looking at things. I am here to share my experience so others dont get caught out and am quite rightly p'd off with the conduct of Feller medical and its my right to share it. I dont have any other agendas so you can drop the embattled victim attitude.

Whats not fair is pocketing $1500 for just answering a phone and taking card details. Full stop. I cancelled months in advance and never came near a date. No-one in Feller medical informed me prior to me paying a deposit it was non refundable. No terms and conditions stating this. This is not the correct way to do business. These are Facts.

Those emails are in no order at all.

It's clear even from those you have chosen to post he was trying to help you.

Regardless, attacking Spex is pointless.

He has no responsibility to hold your hand on every single thing and you need accept some responsibility.

Spex is a good guy and has helped 1000's and goes above the call of duty above all other reps however you wish to paint him.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.