Stopping Frontal Baldness in its early stages

Hi There,

I am new to this forum and came across it one day whilst using google in a desperate attempt to search for ways tot stop "thinning" or "hair loss" on the top of my scalp.

A bit about myself. I am a 24 year old Male whom lives in Sydney Australia. I'd never really noticed my hair "thinning" until the last couple of years when I switched hair dressers and my new barber made me aware of the "thinning" patch toward the front of my hair line, around the fringe, as well as the areas it was receding. He currently leaves the hair longer in this area in an attempt to "disguise" the thinning process, but I am pretty adamant about STOPPING this process with hopes to re-grow the hair.

I am hoping that because I was made aware of it in its early stages (I presume) I can slow or reverse the hair loss process. I read several articles on this forum (and others) in regards to using products such as "Rogaine" or "Kirklands Signature 5% Minoxidil", but as yet most products only seem to be effective around the "vertex". I understand this is only as a result of most studies having been conducted on his area, there by they get a more thorough result.

However, before purchasing the most "suited" product, I wanted to gain your opinion/knowledge on the issue. I recently purchased "Kirklands Signature 5% Minoxidil" off eBay, but am yet to start using it, as I realized it says "for Vertex only", and error on my behalf for not being more thorough upon purchasing it. So does anyone know;

"What is the best tried/tested hair regrow solution for hair thinning on the frontal scalp area? AND does it also assist in slowing/regrowing hair in regards to a receding hairline. Or is frontal baldness/thinning and a receding hairline to totally different matters/treatments?"

Thanks so much,

P.S. Sorry if this has been answered to death, but I am new to the forum, and this is my first internet attempt to seek answers, so I didn't know where else to turn. My Barber is one of those guys whom when I finally had the courage to ask him shrugged and said "If its in your family (which it is).. then your going to go bald".. I hope there's another way in this day and age.

Hi.

I am almost in a similar situation to you and i'm 24.

I noticed it alot longer ago about 18 years old and belive me undortunately frontal loss is the hardest to maintain.

You will get recommended Fin and Minox as perususal both of which are good for maintaining middle/ rear hair however frontal hairline loss is the trickiest.

The first thing to establish is to ensure that you dont jsut have a maturing hairline. If you have established that its not this then i recommend that you consider either of both of the medications above. Its hard to tll without a photo perhaps if you post a photo we would be in a better position to give advice.

Cheers

You will get recommended Fin and Minox as perususal both of which are good for maintaining middle/ rear hair however frontal hairline loss is the trickiest.

So do you know what the treatment is that follows for frontal balding/hair loss?

I will try and work on getting some pictures up in the next week or so, but am lacking a digital camera.

I'm guessing there is no point opening/using my "Kirklands Signature 5% Minoxidil" as the side and front of the box strictly say for "middle hair loss to vertex only"

..I'm desperate for answers. No one seems to know anything thats effective for frontal hair loss :(

Hair transplant for frontal hair loss.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

Are there any other NON surgical treatments/transplant process'? Even if it simply involves "slowing" the hair loss? Transplant/surgery isn't something I can really afford at this stage, esp. at my age living in Australia..

Finasteride can help regrow hair in the front but there appears to be very few examples and hasn't worked in my case.

This always stands out in my mind:

True & Dorin: Transplant or Propecia? - True and Dorin Medical Group - Doctors section, Click on a Doctors name to view their results - Hairloss Experiences Hairloss Forum

It is the best non surgical treatment of all available but if you do decide to use it, you have to continue on it to see the benefits.

Generally you need transplants for frontal hair unfortunately.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

I agree, there is little to nothing available in nonsurgical treatments for the frontal zone. Some patients are having PRP done but I have yet to see any clinical evidence to support any claims for reducing the effects of hairloss in the frontal zone.

Propecia, minoxidil, dutasteride, all are most effective in the mid and post-anterior (crown) areas of scalp.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I think you should discuss this with your doctor first as it shouldn't be taken lightly and do your own research also.

To sound like a total noob, what exactly is "fin", just so I can research the product/chemical

. I will talk to my GP about taking the meds, but should I decide to go ahead with the process. What, from your recommendations are the best:

"fin & minox" products to take? Some leading brands? I'm totally new to the whole hair loss world, but want to get involved asap. Cheers for all the help thus far guys

"Fin" is an abbreviation for finasteride and "minox" is for minoxidil.

Finasteride is the active ingredient in Propecia (1 mg) and Proscar (5 mg). Propecia is specifically developed for treating MPB (genetic hairloss) as we only need 1 mg daily to effectively inhibit DHT. Some guys like myself get a script for Proscar and then cut it into 4 equal pieces.

This is something to discuss with your doctor. Some docs do not favor cutting Proscar because the active ingredient is then released from the protective pill coating and females cannot and should not handle nor be exposed to the active ingredient (finasteride). Read the label first and also go to the Propecia website for more information.

Minoxidil comes in two applications, either liquid or foam and is not ingested orally but rather a topical treatment. It comes in either 2% or 5% strength.

Both Propecia and Rogaine (minoxidil) are the only two medicinal products that are FDA approved for treating genetic hairloss which we call MPB. Minoxidil is an over-the-counter purchase however Propecia or Proscar requires a physician prescription. Do not just purchase via the internet.

See a reputable HT doctor or dermatologist to get a formal diagnosis for MPB and then you can also discuss your options. Most guys cut Proscar to save on the expense. Not all derms are experienced in treating genetic hairloss and why seeking a reputable HT doctor is more advisable IMHO.

Best wishes to you...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I have had maturing hairline since i was 23, im 28 now and have curbed it using finasteride, i order from all day chemist and its the finpecia 5mg tablet i cut it into quarters, this is always recommended and cheaper and i have noticed slight results in the front after 5 months

i had bad experience with minox (regaine foam) its far too messy and too tricky to put in a regeime and left hair looking crap

Its all about maintaining what you have and preventing future loss, popping one quarter of a pill daily is very minimal effort as opposed to messing about with foam

Hi Jim!

Considering you're in Australia, have you ever looked into Hair Restore Advanced (promotional link removed)? It's a natural hair loss product that helps you manage your hair loss, hair thinning, hair fall and premature greying hair. It's worth a shot before you start the heavy stuff full of chemicals (which often have serious side-effects), especially considering you're still quite young.

Let me know if you'd like some more information.

Cheers,

the team from Hair Restore Advanced

Hi There,

I am new to this forum and came across it one day whilst using google in a desperate attempt to search for ways tot stop "thinning" or "hair loss" on the top of my scalp.

A bit about myself. I am a 24 year old Male whom lives in Sydney Australia. I'd never really noticed my hair "thinning" until the last couple of years when I switched hair dressers and my new barber made me aware of the "thinning" patch toward the front of my hair line, around the fringe, as well as the areas it was receding. He currently leaves the hair longer in this area in an attempt to "disguise" the thinning process, but I am pretty adamant about STOPPING this process with hopes to re-grow the hair.

I am hoping that because I was made aware of it in its early stages (I presume) I can slow or reverse the hair loss process. I read several articles on this forum (and others) in regards to using products such as "Rogaine" or "Kirklands Signature 5% Minoxidil", but as yet most products only seem to be effective around the "vertex". I understand this is only as a result of most studies having been conducted on his area, there by they get a more thorough result.

However, before purchasing the most "suited" product, I wanted to gain your opinion/knowledge on the issue. I recently purchased "Kirklands Signature 5% Minoxidil" off eBay, but am yet to start using it, as I realized it says "for Vertex only", and error on my behalf for not being more thorough upon purchasing it. So does anyone know;

"What is the best tried/tested hair regrow solution for hair thinning on the frontal scalp area? AND does it also assist in slowing/regrowing hair in regards to a receding hairline. Or is frontal baldness/thinning and a receding hairline to totally different matters/treatments?"

Thanks so much,

P.S. Sorry if this has been answered to death, but I am new to the forum, and this is my first internet attempt to seek answers, so I didn't know where else to turn. My Barber is one of those guys whom when I finally had the courage to ask him shrugged and said "If its in your family (which it is).. then your going to go bald".. I hope there's another way in this day and age.