Potential Recommendation for Dr. Kyriakos Maras of HDC in Cyprus

Note added by administrator on 6/13/2013:

Note: As of April, 2013, Dr. Kyriakos Maras has been approved for recommendation on the Hair Transplant Network based on his ability to perform state of the art hair transplant surgery with excellent results. To see how we recommend hair restoration physicians, click here. To see our standards for recommendation, click here."

-----

Dear Forum Members,

As many of you know, we gather as much information as possible about a physician, their staff, technique and track record before they are even considered for recommendation on the Hair Transplant Network. Part of our review process involves getting input from patients and the members of this forum community. To learn more about this review process, click here.

We would appreciate your input regarding the potential recommendation of Dr. Kyriakos Maras of HDC in Cyprus. At this time, Dr. Maras is only being considered for recommendation, not the Coalition. To see our standards for recommendation, click here

Dr. Maras has over 3 years of experience performing exclusive hair transplantation and is the medical director and leading hair restoration physician at HDC in Cyprus. He specializes in both follicular unit hair transplantation (FUT) and follicular unit extraction (FUE) and operates on only one or two patients per day.

Dr. Maras completed his discipline of General Practice at the Shechenov Moscow Medical Academy where he also specialized in Medical Training and Sports Medicine. Before HDC, Dr. Maras worked in both state and private hospitals in Cyprus and is an upstanding member of the Cyprus Medical association. Dr. Maras is also a member of the ESHRS (European Society of Hair Restoration Surgery) and is awaiting membership approval with the ISHRS (International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery).

Dr. Maras and his dedicated staff averaging 5 years of experience have the ability to perform large, densely packed sessions of high quality follicular unit hair transplant surgery exceeding 3000 grafts when appropriate for the patient. Dr. Maras also has the ability to dense pack up to 50 to 60 follicular units per square centimeter (FU/cm2) and even more using single follicular units only in the crucial hairline areas as appropriate.

Dr. Maras uses a single blade to harvest the donor strip in order to minimize follicular transection and employs the trichophytic closure technique using a double layer closure to minimize the appearance of scarring. Dr. Maras uses tiny 20 gauge needles (approximately 0.9mm) for most grafts and 21 gauge needles (approximately 0.8mm) for single follicular units in the recipient area to minimize trauma to the scalp and maximize dense packing when appropriate for the patient.

All follicular units are meticulously cut using microscopic dissection and carefully placed into tiny recipient incisions using magnification by Dr. Maras' experienced medical technicians. Dr. Maras feels that using all follicular units creates the most natural looking result.

Dr. Maras' typical FUE hair transplant procedure ranges between 2500 to 3000 grafts over a period of 2 or 3 days. Dr. Maras prefers using manual extraction tools over motorized devices and uses punch sizes as small as .75mm. He feels that FUE best suits patients that want to avoid linear scarring and want the ability to shave their head down to grade 0 without showing a scar.

Dr. Maras asserts that FUE is ideal for patients with minor hair loss that require sessions up to 1200 grafts. He also believes that FUE can be a great adjunct to FUT/strip to provide more donor hair for those with extensive hair loss.

Given Dr. Maras's experience and commitment to quality follicular unit hair transplantation, I believe that he should be considered for recommendation. See our standards for recommendation.

View some of his patient and surgical photos below:

3400 Grafts with Dr. Maras via FUT Strip – Includes scar video

4200 Grafts with Dr. Maras via FUT Strip

2500 Grafts with Dr. Maras via FUT Strip

2700 Grafts with Dr. Maras via FUE

2200 Grafts with Dr. Maras via FUT Strip

2500 Grafts with Dr. Maras via FUT Strip

1700 Grafts with Dr. Maras via FUE

Surgical Walkthrough - Presentation of Dr. Maras of HDC Medical Clinic

I welcome input and comments from forum members regarding his potential recommendation.

Onwards and Upwards,

Bill

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

I'm impressed! It's a definite "yes" for me.

Particularly impressive FUE work as well!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Thank you for everyone's input on the potential recommendation of Dr. Maras. As you know, we seriously consider all private and public feedback when considering a physician for recommendation. We also carefully evaluate each physician, their clinic and their staff/associates.

Given previous concerns with a physician affiliated with HDC in conjunction with some private feedback we received, we've decided not to approve Dr. Maras for recommendation on the Hair Transplant Network at this time.

Out of respect for the clinic, I am closing this topic to prevent ongoing public discussion about our decision.

We wish Dr. Maras and his staff all the best.

Best wishes,

Bill