I am thinking about making a documentary about going bald.

Bobby,

Please please please don't jump in and go with this Dr Markou. It's a recipe for disaster. I mean, when you go to the first car showroom and the salesman says: "I guarrantee this car won't breakdown. Trust me", you wouldnt put down a $5,000 deposit there and then would you? You would go to some other places, take a test drive, buy some Auto Magazines and do a fair amount of research before buying.

The vast majority of clinics don't use this laser treatment and do you know why?..because it doesnt work! All it will give you is a lighter wallet.

Most people only have about 8000 grafts of donor hair and the last thing you want is someone blowing 50% in a bad operation with poor results. You cant get those grafts back!

Selecting a Quality Hair Transplant Surgeon

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Bobby,

I'm just catching up on this thread but I have to give you kudos for creating a video documentary on going bald and discussing treatment options you are considering. I just finished watching the first video and when I have time, I'll watch the others. But based on the discussion on this topic, I encourage you to take your time, research your options and don't jump into anything. Learn all you can about the procedure including the benefits, limitations and potential risks that go along with it. Researching and selecting a quality physician to perform your hair transplant will also take time and due diligence.

Understand too that hair transplant surgery does nothing to stop the progression of baldness from continuing. Thus, you may also want to explore the possibility of incorporating proven non-surgical treatments such as Propecia and Rogaine into your long term hair restoration goals. Note that Propecia and Rogaine do come with the possibility of side effects, so you should make sure you learn all about them before making a decision on using these treatments.

Best wishes for selecting a quality physician and restoring your hair,

Bill

1 - What is your long term strategy for my hair transplant journey?

This is a broad question which will necessitate the doctor analysing your donor density, the loss in crown as well as looking at any miniaturisation elsewhere on the head, planning the best utilisation of the available donor and ensuring that if your hair loss progresses you will have sufficient donor to cover those areas too. They may mark the areas which need to be treated, in most cases this involves the drawing of a hairline but for you probably an area drawn on the crown. The doctor should tell you his vision for numbers of grafts required in areas (present and future) as well as the cosmetic improvement you should expect to see given said plan. Bear in mind Stem Cell research is by no means guaranteed and some links have been found to cancer, so as per the Bourne Ultimatum, 'hope for the best, plan for the worst' - you need to plan for a Stem Cell technology free world. Since you mentioned you are thinning in your front, this would become far more of an issue for you in the future than a bald spot which you can't see when you're looking in the mirror, so you need to keep your options open.

2 - Can I meet some of your patients and see some of your results?

VERY very important that you actually meet with multiple people who were treated by this surgeon, as well as see results they present similar to yours, online or on their computer. Not only does this help you review the surgeon, it also gives you realistic expectations. If you can find someone independently (ie, not someone the surgery recommend you see) that is even better.

3 - What process will I have to follow before, during and after the surgery?

The surgeon should tell you key information like whether you have to shave your head, costs, how long the surgery will take and who will perform which parts (it's very important that you understand what will happen before hand so you arent unnerved during the operation). This may include understanding the process of injections, the extraction, incisions, placement, and who on their team performs what. The surgeon should also inform you of the necessary after-care process, what you have to do and how long it'll be before you can go out in public, what to expect after surgery eg swelling, and growth timescales. Finally, the surgeon may recommend taking preventative hair loss medication such as Propecia to stabilise your hair loss. This will give you a much more precise feel for what you are committing to - how long it will take, how much it costs, what will happen, and what you will have to do for the rest of your life.

-----------------------------------------------

For any of the above question to be relevant at all, you have to be absolutely sure that the surgeon you're meeting with is an ethical one. You can't tell this from the surgeon, and that's where sites like this one come in - a poor surgeon could answer the questions above dishonestly and you would have no way of knowing - this is how many guys get sucked in. It's also important for the same reasons to consult with multiple top top surgeons and compare their recommendations. By 'top surgeons' I mean IAHRS registered surgeons who are recommended on this site and for whom you have found numerous patient posted stories online which you like the results of. I really want to emphasise the point to you that the difference between a transplant from a poor surgeon and a world class surgeon is LIFE changing. Please don't take that decision lightly. They are NOT all created equal. Also, I have only watched your most recent video - have you decided between Strip and FUE yet?

Hello Bobby,

Great videos. I commend you on your effort to bring HT to the forefront and to help others understand the concerns of people with hair loss. Our clinics would like to support you in anyway we can so feel free to contact us at your convenience as to how we can help you one your project and more importantly your personal journey. All the best, Michael.

Information contained here does not constitute medical advice. It is important with HT to seek the consult and advice of a qualified medical professional.

I am thinking about making a documentary about going bald. i am making short videos as I go along the process of researching and talking to doctors so I can decide what I wanna do and why and then put them together to make a documentary before there is no hair here - YouTube

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum

FYI-video blog interviews that I have

posted, these are not the actual documentary itself, but will be a

part of the final product along with a lot of other footage, (not of

me,) and graphics, explanation of the process and a musical score. ETC.

I'm still looking for female patient for the documentary so if any DR. knows of a person willing to share just a few pictures of before/after and her personal journey in an essay. I can get a female voice actor to tell her story.

I'm still doing research on my documentary I wonder if you can help. Is it legal for a clinic director, without a medical degree recommend surgery, and even schedule you for surgery without you ever speaking to a medical doctor?

I am also looking for the names of all the types of transplant procedures,FUE, etc?

Does anybody out there have hair restoration related graphic or reels they would be willing to let me use in the documentary? I will make sure you get credit.

I have started editing the raw interviews previously posted on this thread into the movie format, it's looking good so far, will share when it's ready.

Is it legal for a clinic director, without a medical degree recommend surgery,

and even schedule you for surgery without you ever speaking to a medical doctor?

I would assume it is legal.

It is not uncommon for out of town patients to have an on-line consult which may be handled by a clinic director and not always the doctor.

I have also seen some clinics offer in-person consultations in cities other than where the clinic is located. These type of 3 days in another city consults may not always have the doctor present.

However I would find it odd if I actually made an appointment to visit a clinic in person for a consult and did not speak with the doctor even for a few minutes. I would ask to meet the doctor and if that was denied I would probably look elsewhere for my surgery.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

Nice video bobby. Looking forward to the next one.

Dr Markou, Part Time HT Surgeon?....

It would be full time or no time for me if I was letting anyone with a scalpel near my head!

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Hi Bobby, I commend you for making these videos. Great stuff.

Just a few comments about your consultation.

The problem a lot of people have on this board is that laser treatment is not a proven method for reversing hairloss which is why you won't find many supporters of it.

I'm a bit surprised this 'Dr' said you should have a transplant on your crown. I would expect any eithical HT surgeon or representative to discuss non-surgical options such as Minoxidil and Finasteride. Your hair loss pattern looks like it could really benefit from these treatments.

Some Doctors are aware of the risks, and are not willing to impose such risk to their patients. On the contrary, they are being very ethical at being cautious.

Great video, that really sum it all.. Losing hair sucks.. It's depressing as hell and we all here to do something about it. Im just like you, thinking to go the HT path without taking meds cause of the possible side effects and the fact that you have to take them forever, which in my openion, any drug no matter how safe it is will create some side effects on the long run.

One thing i kinda disagree with though, in my case i never went to gym or worked out when i had my hair because i was just confident. Losing my hair took away that confident and made me wanna do anything to feel a little better, and that's when i started working out and now i beleive im in the best shape in my life so far, which gave me some confident in that area but still not like the one i had with full head of hair. Actually i think there is more bald people workout regularly than ppl who are not balding cause they despretly wanna do anything to give them some confidence (just my observation though)

Bobby,

Have you seen this video about what questions to ask at consult?

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

• 6 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2018 at 11:50 AM, rodfl said:

Dr. Markou is a joke... His office manager John  does all of the bs consultations. Markou walks into the surgery room, and Jon tells him what to do.

Do not waste your time, or money on these guys.

This thread is from 6 years ago. I wonder what Bobby ended up doing.