How Do You Guys Wash Your Hair?

Boba909

Hi guys, i have a question about how you guys shampoo your hair.

Currently, What i am doing is sort of pressing the shampoo onto my scalp with a bit of force. i am not massaging the shampoo onto my scalp in a circular motion because when i do so, hair starts falling out. But i feel that if i don't massage it, i cannot clean my pores/scalp correctly.

I am currently taking Propecia and hair still falls out when i "massage my scalp with shampoo," so i'm really afraid of doing it again :(

Thanks guys :)

You should wash your hair vigorously. Trying to prevent hairs from coming out is counter productive as these hairs are hairs that are transitioning to their telogen state and are not coming out due to DHT. They are supposed to come out and nothing you do will prevent it and it does not mean that you are losing your hair. They will eventually come back in a few months.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

You should wash your hair vigorously. Trying to prevent hairs from coming out is counter productive as these hairs are hairs that are transitioning to their telogen state and are not coming out due to DHT. They are supposed to come out and nothing you do will prevent it and it does not mean that you are losing your hair. They will eventually come back in a few months.

A little confused by your response as i wasn't trying to prevent my hair from coming out...

So you mean that i should massage my scalp with the shampoo instead of just trying to press the shampoo onto my scalp? If i massage it my hair will start falling, that's why i'm not massaging it, but rather pressing the shampoo onto my scalp... Thanks! :)

You should massage your scalp. Clean your scalp. There is nothing you can do washing your hair that can prevent hairloss. At least have a clean scalp.

So just simply pressing the shampoo onto my scalp won't clean it? Wouldn't the shampoo dissolve dirt, sebum, etc from the scalp as soon as it touches the scalp?? The only added benefit to massaging the scalp is blood circulation, no?

I would think you need to scrub your head to clean it. I don't think just putting soap onto a dirty foot would clean it. YOU ARE NOT causing your hair to fall out by massaging shampoo onto your scalp. You have to do the same with rogaine. It has to be massaged in.

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

I would think you need to scrub your head to clean it. I don't think just putting soap onto a dirty foot would clean it. YOU ARE NOT causing your hair to fall out by massaging shampoo onto your scalp. You have to do the same with rogaine. It has to be massaged in.

What about all those hair strands that get on my hair when i massage my scalp then? I'm so scared of seeing that happening ....

It's normal to lose hair as Jo said earlier. 100 or so a day. If you use gel, rogaine, or shampoo your hair you will see some on your fingers. This is normal. Try not to worry about it. And do yourself a favor and try not to count the hairs you lose. Like up to 100 as this will only make you miserable. All you can do is take preventative measures with meds. Shampooing does not cause hair loss.

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

• Moderators

You should be rubbing the shampoo on your scalp. It's better to have a clean scalp. Any hair that comes out during shampooing was going to fall out anyway. You're just making them come out all at once rather than slowly falling out one at a time during the rest of the day.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Thanks guys! I managed to massage my scalp yesterday when i shampooed my hair. Felt good to know that i can once again wash my hair the normal way. My scalp itched a little bit though when i did it vs. when i just pressed the shampoo in.

Also, i read an article stating that dermatologists don't recommend shampooing everyday as it removes the sebum on the hair strands. They recommend shampooing 2-3 times a week. What do you guys think?

U need to wash every day, scalp builds up oils and need to properly cleanse skin. Wife is stylist and depending on weather, oils secretes at different rates. Finding the right shampoo is the key to build up thickness. I have two golden ones and use them regularly, one more than another......

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, sorry to hear that...I was reading an article where someone shared that when they washed their hair there was some hair coming out. They stated they just began adding protein to strengthen it. Also using Sulfate free shampoo and conditioner. Eating lots of green vegetables. It said about making a protein conditioner out of ovacato and eggs and olive oil. Whatever ingredients used. It should have a heavy amount of protein to pour back into the hair. This will strengthen it.