Rahal Vs Dr Hasson - Need help with the decision -

This is a question posted often on this forum, but I am looking to tap into the collective wisdom here to make a decision, relative to my personal needs.

I am 48 years old. Have had a FUT 2000 grafts surgery in 2004 with Dr ROn Shapiro. 8 years on have signifcant thinning on frontal area, and a receding hairline. Due to the thinning one can see upto an inch through my hair looking from the front.

I notice in the last 8 years things have changed a lot and densities achieved are very high. My expectation have also thus changed... Why not go for the best possible results.

I am told that I need 1500-2000 grafts just to beef up the frontal area. So this is good. Another 2000 grafts is my desire to lower the hairline along the front and more along the temples which have receeded. H&W and Rahal are willing to do the total 3-3.5 K grafts.

So where do I go ? I am 49 and dont want to do a repeat transplant this lifetime. I would like great density and improvement to hairline. Lowering of hairline would also be great, and is desirable. If the surgery can take a few years off my age that is a bonus. Crown is normal and donor area I am told is average.

I notice doctors are reluctant to do more than 3500 grafts. They think that 3.5K would give me great results and be age appropriate ! My belief is since I am going under the knife why not a few more grafts, particulalry since donor area is not a concern.

Dr Rahal's clinic indicates they will get me the density of 60 grafts/sq sm and guarantees 95% of the transplanted grafts would stay. I have not heard these guarantees from H&W. How much gravitas do these guarantees hold ? and do members feel that H&W has equivalent results ?

Also, I would classify myself a NW3. Planning the surgery next week, as I am in the country and both doctors have cancellations available within the week.

Will appreciate all inputs to help me make a quick decision. I researched this thoroughly in 2004 before my first HT. Not as much this time. But over the years and from 2004, I have grown fond of this forum and rely on the information here a lot.

Looking forward folks.

Thanks,

Rocketmas, what I will say is my personal opinion...You just mentioned the best two surgeons in the world. I will mention the advantages of both,,,

Rahal advantages-

1) King of hairlines..He has a great way of designing a hairline just like Armani's before.

2) Great bed side manner and personality.

3) Cheaper in rates (prices).

4) Can do both strip and FUE, its good for future options if you wanted to stick with one surgeon.

5) Direct contact with patients.

6) More satisfied patients online. Patients post their results more than the clinic itself.

7) More control and individual supervision in the surgey.

8) Most of all (THE RAHAL GUARANTEE) "For every hair restoration procedure performed at Rahal, we guarantee to replace any non-growing hair transplant graft free of charge. In our experience, such replacement is rarely necessary."

Dr.Hasson advantages:-

1) More documented results online in video format.

2) He has a great rep. Jotronic who is very educated and helpful.

3) Better scars because of using stables which is more expensive than sutures.

4) More experience in mega sessions.

5) Mature hairlines which sometimes can be more appropriate and saves grafts.

6) Creator of the lateral slit technique.

7) Uses only blades and no more invasive needles.

8) More beautiful location (Vancouver).

You can compare and judge. My personal choice it would be Dr. Rahal especially you are looking to restore your hairline and get a guarantee.

For your info. Dr. Hasson was my second choice last year, he has great make-over examples like Bobman and others. Good luck with your choice.

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

Rocketmas,

You've been a forum member since 2003. Impressive! You should hang around more often.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with either Dr. You'll be in great hands either way.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Rocketmas you have picked two great surgeons whoever you pick you cant go wrong.

Hariri some of your points are good other ones I dont understand. Unless somebody has gone to both of the doctors its not easy to know everything about them.

Your comments in my views have stated the following.

1) Dr. Hasson rep Jotronic is great but isnt doctor Rahal rep good?

2) Dr Rahal has great bed side manner and personality. But poor Dr. Hasson doesnt have a good personality or bed side manner?

3) King of hairlines..He has a great way of designing a hairline just like Armani's before. This is YOUR opinion my opinion is alot different.

4) Mature hairlines which sometimes can be more appropriate and saves grafts. So Dr. Rahal doesnt save grafts or thinks about the future. Remember when you are doing a tranformation from NW5-6 you cant waste grafts doing an aggressive hairline. I have seen many situation where is appropiate to be a bit more aggressive.

Rocketmas as a stated before they are both great doctor. My opinion is to get as well informed as possible. You will find both sides are passionate about the doctor they chose. Some will make some great points other wont.

Good luck and keep us posted!!!

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

Thanks. I have added a couple of pictures with doctor's recommendations,in the photo albums.

Both the doctors recommend 3-3.5 K for the surgery. They have sent in the picture indicating that they will mostly beef up the frontal portion. However my concern is the

hairline on the sides. On my right side the hairline has receeded a good 3 inches more than the front tip. Left is slightly better.

Both doctors seem to indiate that lowering the hairline or working on the temple sides is not a great idea. Why is this ? Is it because it will aesthetically not have the desired results, or it will look age-inappropriate, or it may need too many grafts and may not be worth the effort ?

Also, I have a good donor area and in the days of mega-sessions why shouldn't I shoot to get a good full-head ? What is the limitation ?

In any event, I will have the surgery over the next 10 days and will keep everybody posted.

Senior members and experienced folks - let me know your viewpoint ?

Thanks,

Rocketmas,

Judging from your photos, both docs are spot on with their recommendations. The fact that both these masters of hair transplantation recommend essentially the identical design and graft count should tell you something. Both indicate a slight lowering of the hairline, with a bit more in the center, and both would fill in the corners somewhat, for a hairline and sides that should frame your face beautifully and be appropriate at your current age and in the future. Anything more aggressive would, in my opinion, appear “off” and not serve you well as you enter your 50’s and 60’s. Plus, if you should thin in the vertex and crown later, you will have plenty of reserve to handle it. It is difficult to tell the condition of your temple points from your photos, but it wouldn’t take many grafts to strenghten them a bit if they are a concern.

You really could flip a coin on this one and be assured of a terrific result. If I were in your shoes, the weight might fall ever so slightly in favor of Dr. Rahal for two reasons: 1. You don't require a mega-mega session (5,000 - 9,000+ FU's), of which Dr. Hasson is the undisputed king, and 2. Densely packed, beautifully designed and executed frontal zone and hairline work for Norwood II's and III's such as yourself seem to be a particular Rahal specialty. But as I say, based on the results I've seen from both these maestros and their virtually identical assessments of your case, a coin flip might serve you as well as a deliberate choice.

Great luck with your decision and procedure!!

MadMan

Both doctors seem to indiate that lowering the hairline or working on the temple sides is not a great idea. Why is this ? Is it because it will aesthetically not have the desired results, or it will look age-inappropriate, or it may need too many grafts and may not be worth the effort ?

They probably feel transplanting the temple sides and lowering the hairline is not the most prudent use of your donor area. Aesthetically, temple points can look great but not everyone is a good candidate for them. What happens if you recede behind the transplanted temples? Then you are stuck using more precious donor on them - donor that would have been better off for the top.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Rocketmas,

Depending on your donor density, I personally think the 3,000-3,500 graft estimate you were given by the doctors can cater to your goals. Especially, by looking at the pictures you have posted. Your loss isn't that extensive from what I can see.

At age 49, your crown is normal from what you have wrote (which is a big major plus). Do you have photos showing your left/right side profiles? I had like 3,016 grafts via FUE and it even incorporated some temple work. In my own personal opinion, basing off from my own hairloss in the front, I think my hairloss was similar to yours from the pictures you have posted and by comparing the 1 year pictures before my surgery, I personally think the restoration can work for you in accordance to your goals. I actually had thinning in the crown which I didn't even work on but know it is possibly a future area to address if it gets worse. However, medications regained most of my crown and reading your crown is stable at age 49, then I see you being ahead of the game. So, most likely your goal can be achieved depending based on donor density. Did you have an in person consult with each of those clinics regarding the donor density? If your hair isn't below average, I think this gives you an excellent chance to get this done right and not come back for more.

I personally think 3,500 grafts is more than enough for the front by looking at your current pics as your loss doesn't look extensive. Who knows, your donor area may yield a little more grafts when it is excised. But in my opinion, you don't need that much and I think the graft counts you were given should be sufficient.

Have a great hair restoration journey and hope you share your before / after result on here. Again, I really think 3500+- grafts, can make an amazing effect in the front and should have the capability to add some density to areas that you may need a little more density.

Either will do you just fine. They are the two best hair transplant surgeons in the whole world. Look at their before and after photos to give you an idea of their 'style' and go with whoever you like more.

They are both class you'll be buzzing to get either.

Just to add the guarantee you speak of with Rahal is quite new and by the sounds of it not as good as Dr Hassons by what you've said, Dr Hasson has been guaranteeing all your grafts will grow for many many years well before anyone else and he stands by it i went back to Dr Hasson this year because my scar had a little stretch on one side it turns out that i have rare extremely thick strong scalp tissue that didn't heal as well as others So Dr Hasson fixed it for me and i kept the staples in much longer to get a better scar he also seen that a few of my grafts had grown slightly thin and that my native hair had started balding further he thought with time they'd likely mature as i was only 11 months post op but Dr Hasson decided to make sure and transplanted me a extra 2160 grafts which covered my new balding. The guy is a legend if you ask me but i would say that given my personal experience.

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

They are two of the very best around and in the elite set of surgeons.

It is a bit silly comparing the pair in this way as some of the statements put out are untrue.

They both have a lot of documented results online of a very high standard.

You cannot go wrong with either of them and for the required amount of grafts you have been recommended, they both will give excellent hairlines.

Edited by chrisdav

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

Both great surgeons. Remember that most of the people making comparisons have only had a HT with one of them or none of them. You really need to make your own decision based on who you feel most comfortable with. You went to one of the best in the business the first time and now you are choosing between two more who are among the best. You will be in great hands no matter who you choose.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

They are both class you'll be buzzing to get either.

Just to add the guarantee you speak of with Rahal is quite new and by the sounds of it not as good as Dr Hassons by what you've said, Dr Hasson has been guaranteeing all your grafts will grow for many many years well before anyone else and he stands by it i went back to Dr Hasson this year because my scar had a little stretch on one side it turns out that i have rare extremely thick strong scalp tissue that didn't heal as well as others So Dr Hasson fixed it for me and i kept the staples in much longer to get a better scar he also seen that a few of my grafts had grown slightly thin and that my native hair had started balding further he thought with time they'd likely mature as i was only 11 months post op but Dr Hasson decided to make sure and transplanted me a extra 2160 grafts which covered my new balding. The guy is a legend if you ask me but i would say that given my personal experience.

Forgive me for asking but where the extra 2160 grafts transplanted free of charge? Just the way the paragraph is structured makes it sound like they were.

Also, orlhair is correct. People making comparisons either had surgeries with either Doctors or haven't had surgery with them. I don't think there is a person alive who had surgery with Rahal or Hasson and had a subsequent procedure with the other. That would be very interesting. I refrained from giving a choice, it's up to you to see which Doctor will best suit your needs. They both have different styles and are at the top of the industry.

Edited by Mickey85

Yes it was free that's my point in saying their guarantee is 100% real and in some cases you may end up getting more than you thought you'd get. The thing about H&W is they really care about you obviously they are a business but the attention to detail from everyone there is amazing its the little things they do as well like they feed you all day for free I had 3 take aways ordered for me, they put you up in a hotel for free if you're from another country and they give you a lot of money towards your flight.

Dr Hasson is a perfectionist in my case he knew he had to cut the whole scar out to do the scar revision and I presume he just thought to him self well if I'm gonna do this let's go the extra mile and change this guys life and if you check my blog in the link below you'll see he has done I'm 2 months post op and I've got some of the fastest regrowth and growth I've ever seen on here.

The ht growth wait is the most uncomfortable nerve wrecking time you can go through and believe me I've been through all sorts in my life I've had 4 hts and been on the forums for over ten years and still have my mind playing tricks on me but the one thing that helps substantionally is knowing your Doctor is the best in your own opinion and if for any reason something goes wrong you know your clinic will stand by you. Hasson & Wong and Rahal were my top 2 clinics and still are, the reason I chose Hasson was he's always been a step in front of everyone else and other top surgeons look up to him and get their hair done by him. These last couple of years Rahal has been doing some awesome work and it's great for patients to have 2 megasession clinics to choose from we're really in a golden age for hair transplantation.

Edited by bonkerstonker

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

Rocket,

I would like to clarify a few things that were mentioned earlier in this thread.

Some members have laid out a few points to consider of which I will copy/paste and respond to.

Harriri said...

Rahal advantages-

1) King of hairlines..He has a great way of designing a hairline just like Armani's before.

When you take into account that the average amount of grafts necessary to lower a hairline into non hair bearing skin is about 150 grafts per mm you are looking at about 1500 grafts per cm so to lower your hairline 1cm lower than what is indicated in the photo that you posted with the black outline (which I drew) you are looking at about 5000 grafts in total. This very well may be possible but since you have had a procedure already with Dr. Shapiro for 2000 grafts one cannot assume that 5000 grafts would automatically be possible in your second procedure. Normally, 5000 grafts is only possible for virgin scalps and that is for patients with slightly higher than average characteristics. You should take this point very seriously because if we are saying it most likely won't be possible to get 5000 grafts then I find it unlikely that anyone else would either. The bottom line is that the design is irrelevant if the grafts aren't available to create it.If the grafts are available then your options increase.

6) More satisfied patients online. Patients post their results more than the clinic itself.

With all due respect I think that if we look back over the past ten years one will find that we have had more patients post than any other clinic. The phenomena of online documentation started with me, ten years ago, and snowballed from there.

7) More control and individual supervision in the surgey.

I don't know what this means but Dr. Hasson has complete control over the entire procedure and is sure to oversee what everyone is doing. It is ultimately a team approach as it should be.

8) Most of all (THE RAHAL GUARANTEE) "For every hair restoration procedure performed at Rahal, we guarantee to replace any non-growing hair transplant graft free of charge. In our experience, such replacement is rarely necessary."

We've had the same guarantee for fifteen years.

Dr.Hasson advantages:-

1) More documented results online in video format.

True, and we were the first to document in HD with detailed comb throughs of the placement as well as the donor scar but we also have more documented results overall.

2) He has a great rep. Jotronic who is very educated and helpful.

True, true:)

Madman said...

1. You don't require a mega-mega session (5,000 - 9,000+ FU's), of which Dr. Hasson is the undisputed king, and 2. Densely packed, beautifully designed and executed frontal zone and hairline work for Norwood II's and III's such as yourself seem to be a particular Rahal specialty.

Dr. Hasson was the first hair surgeon in the world to showcase a true high density single pass result back in 2002. At the time the highest that surgeons would go was in the 30 to 35 per cm2 range and this was considered to be pushing the envelope. Dr. Hasson showed a 70 graft per cm2 result. This was ten years ago so where density is required it is a non-issue.

Finally, to address some of your comments and concerns...

Dr Rahal's clinic indicates they will get me the density of 60 grafts/sq sm and guarantees 95% of the transplanted grafts would stay. I have not heard these guarantees from H&W. How much gravitas do these guarantees hold ? and do members feel that H&W has equivalent results ?

I think it is safe to assume that since we are both talking about the same general number of grafts into the same general area then the densities will also be about the same. As far as guarantees go, and I'm sure Dr. Rahal's clinic would agree, there can be no guarantees save for the guarantee of growth (as indicated above) and that both doctors are committed to doing their best work possible for you. While a growth guarantee does not necessarily mean that every time every graft will grow it does means that we are confident enough in our techniques, our abilities and our track record that we acknowledge that if there are obvious problems with growth then we'll stand behind you and take care of any issues which is in reality as much as anyone can reasonably ask for.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

All,

Thanks for sharing insightful details with me. I have learnt and relied on this forum since 2003, and appreciate the inputs and good wishes of all here.

However, as it happens many times, more data/information raises more questions, so

help me with a couple of questions :

1.) I have known of Dr Hasson's expertise and fame, ever since 2003. However, Dr. Rahals seems to be relatively recent (last 2-3 years ?)

Is this a true assesment ? I would imagine Dr. Rahal has been doing HT's for 10-15 years or so...Why was he not so well known before ? Has he acquired some skills in the recent past , Or has just cranked up his PR machine ?

SO if I have to compare their experience and # of surgeries performed by each what would be the difference? Is any realdata available ?

2.) Second question is regarding dissatisfied customers or documented dissatisfied customers ....The forum seems to indicate that Dr Hasson has some dissatisfied customers whereas Dr Rahal has none ?

Look forward to unbiased inputs/comments .....

Best Regards,

S

Rocketmas

Bottom line is YOU CANT GO WRONG WITH EITHER ONE!!

However to answer your question

1. Dr Rahals success has been going on well over 2-3 years!! He does very little PR..really no need for him too...his results are his PR..when I had my procedure done with him on my follow up visit his clinic was full with consult patients...He has been well know for a long time...not as long as Hasson..but a long time..

2. Dr Hasson probably doesn't have more dissatisfied patients...they do much more Video and Advertising than Dr Rahal...sometimes that may open them up for criticism...Im sure Dr Hasson has had a poor case in the past, Im sure Dr Rahal has as well...its going to happen...

YOU NEED to do a consult with each doctor...they are both excellent and no one can argue that...their past history speaks for itself...

When you talk about Hasson, Rahal, Shapiro, Konior, Feller,Arocha.. you are splitting hairs( NO PUN )

Its really which doctor you feel more comfortable with....

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Rocketmas

Bottom line is YOU CANT GO WRONG WITH EITHER ONE!!

However to answer your question

1. Dr Rahals success has been going on well over 2-3 years!! He does very little PR..really no need for him too...his results are his PR..when I had my procedure done with him on my follow up visit his clinic was full with consult patients...He has been well know for a long time...not as long as Hasson..but a long time..

2. Dr Hasson probably doesn't have more dissatisfied patients...they do much more Video and Advertising than Dr Rahal...sometimes that may open them up for criticism...Im sure Dr Hasson has had a poor case in the past, Im sure Dr Rahal has as well...its going to happen...

YOU NEED to do a consult with each doctor...they are both excellent and no one can argue that...their past history speaks for itself...

When you talk about Hasson, Rahal, Shapiro, Konior, Feller,Arocha.. you are splitting hairs( NO PUN )

Its really which doctor you feel more comfortable with....

Great advice!

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

For me Dr Rahals results have improved substantially over the last 3 years and the size of his megasessions are the closest to Dr Hassons that I've ever seen.

With regards to dissatisfied patients all surgeons have them if you are gonna take into account how many you've seen with any clinic then you need to also take into account how many ops a clinic does and the fact not many people use these forums.

The main thing is imo you're choosing between the best 2 in the world.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

on the decision. Thanks for all the great input on both doctors and the decision is tough to say the least--- what with competitive rates, great sales representatives and awesome case studies !!

ANd both doctors have the short date that I want while in US !

I am going to toss a coin to decide on this one ....and I dont like to make critical decisions like this !

I guess Vancouver is a better town to visit, but I have been there. Ottowa is not too bad, I havent been there :)

Cheers folks - not enjoying this !

S

on the decision. Thanks for all the great input on both doctors and the decision is tough to say the least--- what with competitive rates, great sales representatives and awesome case studies !!

ANd both doctors have the short date that I want while in US !

I am going to toss a coin to decide on this one ....and I dont like to make critical decisions like this !

I guess Vancouver is a better town to visit, but I have been there. Ottowa is not too bad, I havent been there :)

Cheers folks - not enjoying this !

S

Have a look at both Doctor's results through the forum and on their websites. As I have said before bother Doctor's have a distinct style that may suit your tastes more.