FUE/Hair transplant is the worst decision I have ever made

I wonder how much of this guy's quick....near panic reaction that his HT was a failure at 17 days post-op is because he was a very poorly informed patient, did not do much pre-op research, and his doctor doing a pathetic job of educating him pre-op?

I would say I was a poorly informed patient without much pre-op research and a slick "educational" marketing brochure from the doctor. To be fair, researching hair transplants, doctors, techniques, etc., is a VERY time consuming endeavor. No doctor should be allowed to offer a "special price for the next two weeks" in order to rush a patient to make a decision about a lifer altering event when they first come on for a simple consultation about hair loss and treatment options.

Also, although I am grateful for this forum, it's quite a difficult forum to navigate and research in. It can be quite confusing just to navigate, much less trying to keep in mind all the doctors, techniques, etc...

Dating sites are far more simpler to navigate even with their thousands and thousands of members...

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harry,

Would you feel comfortable sending me a private message with some details about your surgery? I'd like to get to the bottom of this, but I don't want to "hijack" Bummed's thread.

Thank you.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

It's not for you to tell someone that they are exaggerating when it comes to their feelings. He was obviously insecure enough from the outset to seriously question his results at only day 6 of his first HT.

That's exactly why I suspect he may be exaggerating: Insecurity and ridiculously high expectations causing a warped view. And also because he won't show us any pictures - he only rants and complains, and then gets another HT.

For me in part there is a sense that I have done something deceptive to the people I meet and see everyday -trying to deceive them, and hoping they don't see through my deception. But even if they don't see through it (and I've got a decent comb over going on to hide the gnarly hairline), it doesn't change the sense that I'm trying to be dishonest about my appearance - just like someone wearing a toupee....

For me, the way I see myself in my head is the way I'm supposed to look. I considered MPB to be a crime by nature against my inner self, forcing me to be treated crappier by people and be instantly placed on "ignore" by a lot of women without even getting a chance. Getting an HT only restored me to what I'm supposed to be. I don't know if there's a God or not (not religious but not really an atheist either) and I really do not care, at least in this respect; when it comes to me looking how I want and living how I want, the only will that matters is my will. Not genetics, not any God, not nature, just mine. So if I look in the mirror and I'm happy with what I see, then that's how I'm supposed to look. Same for you.

Additionally, as for your concern about "deceiving people," you aren't really deceiving them, are you? Because an HT is permanent. You're not going to go home and take it off like a toupee, or wash it out like concealer. You're not going to "trick" a girl into coming home with you or dating you, and then subject her to your embarrassing secret of thinly-disguised baldness (like women do with fake hair and makeup all the time, by the way). Maybe this guy with hair didn't used to be you (just like the guy who went bald wasn't the same you that had great hair a few years before, but became the new you)... But it is now. This is the real you now, and there's no going back. And you should be happy about that, because you made yourself.

Never feel guilty about having upgraded yourself in some way that masks some meaningless and superficial aspect of yourself - an upgrade that simply removes you from the radar of the shallow, socially aggressive troglodytes that surround you - and preventing them from degrading and ridiculing you. Should you have to put up with your value as a person and self worth being lowered because of a simple aesthetic detail that has nothing to do with your abilities or true self? Of course not. Will you be? Yep. Just like the smart, pretty, compassionate but chunky girls that cry themselves to sleep every night as the world chips away at them and makes them live as self-hating invalids. So always remember that society wronged you first, and you're only reacting and taking the logical course of action. If baldness weren't a negative stigma in society, no one would bother with hair transplants or other crap, would they? But society demands it and punishes those who don't acquiesce. So it will get a convincing facsimile of what it demands - and those who would judge deserve to be deceived.

And furthermore, I have absolutely no qualms about deceiving our shallow, demanding, abusive, materialistic society. Women wear makeup and wigs and slimming under-garments - all shallow lies to boost their attractiveness. Attractiveness is a currency, and I'm not forfeiting it just because society or some idiotic, low-brow, surrenderist loser moral system says I shouldn't be able to exceed my born "place" in life or that I should just take it up the ass from genetics or arbitrary unfortunate circumstance or whatever. I mean what? Like some people get born pretty and then walk around their whole lives and get compliments and preferential treatment and get paid better (yes, all true - there are decades of study in this field) as if they achieved something? And those of us who aren't so lucky are just supposed to accept some shitty supporting role in life as invisible second-class citizens and live in their shadow begging for handouts just because of a random roll of the genetic dice? Fµ?|< that. As long as you're not harming someone else, you have the right to have anything in life that you can build or take. That's capitalism. That's freedom. Love it. Live it. Never look back.

I see balding guys take crap time and time again, whether being automatically discounted as potential partners by judgmental women or just the occasional smart-ass comment that I know digs at them even though they try to hide it. As I stand there with my permanent "fake" hair as a contrived piece of my social armor and camouflage, there is never one second where I think to myself, "Gee, I sure do feel guilty since I know that I really actually belong over there getting degraded and ridiculed at with the bald guys who haven't made an effort at self improvement, and here I am over here, irresponsibly avoiding the righteous punishment that I justly deserve for... uh... getting born, I guess." The drunk retards in those YouTube Epic Fail videos should be ridiculed - for their idiotic choices. You and I should not suffer ridicule for the way we were born. And the only way to avoid it, sadly, is to take charge and modify the way we appear to have been born in order to fool society's sensors.

Life isn't a ball game or a boxing match with rules. People like to try to make social rules that benefit themselves and people like them, but those aren't real rules. Consequently, there is no such thing as cheating in real life. You are what you make yourself, and that is final.

Remember that. And believe it. Because it is absolutely true.

/rant

P.S.- I sound more anti-social than I actually am. I'm not a crazy aggressive weirdo time-bomb and I don't outwardly or actively hate society or anything; more like I'm just vaguely annoyed at the widespread stupidity that tends to permeate middle-class culture; I mostly just ignore it, and it only really gets under my skin when I have to suffer at the hands of said stupidity - which doesn't happen much anymore since I now have good hair. And it also sort of ticks me off to see someone made to feel bad about a condition they were born with and then feel guilty and beat themselves up about having made it better for themselves. It's like a lose-lose situation, a catch-22 that victimizes anyone without perfect genetics, like in that movie Gattaca.

Edited by OtherSyde

That's exactly why I suspect he may be exaggerating: Insecurity and ridiculously high expectations causing a warped view. And also because he won't show us any pictures - he only rants and complains, and then gets another HT.

For me, the way I see myself in my head is the way I'm supposed to look. I considered MPB to be a crime by nature against my inner self, forcing me to be treated crappier by people and be instantly placed on "ignore" by a lot of women without even getting a chance. Getting an HT only restored me to what I'm supposed to be. I don't know if there's a God or not (not religious but not really an atheist either) and I really do not care, at least in this respect; when it comes to me looking how I want and living how I want, the only will that matters is my will. Not genetics, not any God, not nature, just mine. So if I look in the mirror and I'm happy with what I see, then that's how I'm supposed to look. Same for you.

Additionally, as for your concern about "deceiving people," you aren't really deceiving them, are you? Because an HT is permanent. You're not going to go home and take it off like a toupee, or wash it out like concealer. You're not going to "trick" a girl into coming home with you or dating you, and then subject her to your embarrassing secret of thinly-disguised baldness (like women do with fake hair and makeup all the time, by the way). Maybe this guy with hair didn't used to be you (just like the guy who went bald wasn't the same you that had great hair a few years before, but became the new you)... But it is now. This is the real you now, and there's no going back. And you should be happy about that, because you made yourself.

Never feel guilty about having upgraded yourself in some way that masks some meaningless and superficial aspect of yourself - an upgrade that simply removes you from the radar of the shallow, socially aggressive troglodytes that surround you - and preventing them from degrading and ridiculing you. Should you have to put up with your value as a person and self worth being lowered because of a simple aesthetic detail that has nothing to do with your abilities or true self? Of course not. Will you be? Yep. Just like the smart, pretty, compassionate but chunky girls that cry themselves to sleep every night as the world chips away at them and makes them live as self-hating invalids. So always remember that society wronged you first, and you're only reacting and taking the logical course of action. If baldness weren't a negative stigma in society, no one would bother with hair transplants or other crap, would they? But society demands it and punishes those who don't acquiesce. So it will get a convincing facsimile of what it demands - and those who would judge deserve to be deceived.

And furthermore, I have absolutely no qualms about deceiving our shallow, demanding, abusive, materialistic society. Women wear makeup and wigs and slimming under-garments - all shallow lies to boost their attractiveness. Attractiveness is a currency, and I'm not forfeiting it just because society or some idiotic, low-brow, surrenderist loser moral system says I shouldn't be able to exceed my born "place" in life or that I should just take it up the ass from genetics or arbitrary unfortunate circumstance or whatever. I mean what? Like some people get born pretty and then walk around their whole lives and get compliments and preferential treatment and get paid better (yes, all true - there are decades of study in this field) as if they achieved something? And those of us who aren't so lucky are just supposed to accept some shitty supporting role in life as invisible second-class citizens and live in their shadow begging for handouts just because of a random roll of the genetic dice? Fµ?|< that. As long as you're not harming someone else, you have the right to have anything in life that you can build or take. That's capitalism. That's freedom. Love it. Live it. Never look back.

I see balding guys take crap time and time again, whether being automatically discounted as potential partners by judgmental women or just the occasional smart-ass comment that I know digs at them even though they try to hide it. As I stand there with my permanent "fake" hair as a contrived piece of my social armor and camouflage, there is never one second where I think to myself, "Gee, I sure do feel guilty since I know that I really actually belong over there getting degraded and ridiculed at with the bald guys who haven't made an effort at self improvement, and here I am over here, irresponsibly avoiding the righteous punishment that I justly deserve for... uh... getting born, I guess." The drunk retards in those YouTube Epic Fail videos should be ridiculed - for their idiotic choices. You and I should not suffer ridicule for the way we were born. And the only way to avoid it, sadly, is to take charge and modify the way we appear to have been born in order to fool society's sensors.

Life isn't a ball game or a boxing match with rules. People like to try to make social rules that benefit themselves and people like them, but those aren't real rules. Consequently, there is no such thing as cheating in real life. You are what you make yourself, and that is final.

/rant

P.S.- I sound more anti-social than I actually am. I'm not a crazy aggressive weirdo time-bomb and I don't outwardly or actively hate society or anything; more like I'm just vaguely annoyed at the widespread stupidity that tends to permeate middle-class culture; I mostly just ignore it, and it only really gets under my skin when I have to suffer at the hands of said stupidity - which doesn't happen much anymore since I now have good hair. And it also sort of ticks me off to see someone made to feel bad about a condition they were born with and then feel guilty and beat themselves up about having made it better for themselves. It's like a lose-lose situation, a catch-22 that victimizes anyone without perfect genetics, like in that movie Gattaca.

One of the most insightful posts on the subject I have ever seen !!!!!!

One of the most insightful posts on the subject I have ever seen !!!!!!

Absolutely!

OtherSyde really has a talent with words and clarity.

It's amazing while reading his words to find myself saying

yeah that's it exactly!

The quote below is just classic stuff! Greatness! And funny too!

And furthermore, I have absolutely no qualms about deceiving our shallow, demanding, abusive, materialistic society. Women wear makeup and wigs and slimming under-garments - all shallow lies to boost their attractiveness. Attractiveness is a currency, and I'm not forfeiting it just because society or some idiotic, low-brow, surrenderist loser moral system says I shouldn't be able to exceed my born "place" in life or that I should just take it up the ass from genetics or arbitrary unfortunate circumstance or whatever. I mean what? Like some people get born pretty and then walk around their whole lives and get compliments and preferential treatment and get paid better (yes, all true - there are decades of study in this field) as if they achieved something? And those of us who aren't so lucky are just supposed to accept some shitty supporting role in life as invisible second-class citizens and live in their shadow begging for handouts just because of a random roll of the genetic dice? F- that. As long as you're not harming someone else, you have the right to have anything in life that you can build or take. That's capitalism. That's freedom. Love it. Live it. Never look back. I see balding guys take crap time and time again, whether being automatically

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

This topic really speaks to me having gone through a similar process. I'm not bald by any means yet but I have entered into an accelerated stage of hair loss recently. Even prior to my current dilemma I've had a lot of time to reflect and think about hair, HTs and why I had this done to myself.

I can't really blame the OP for being angry with himself, although I now understand that everyone makes mistakes and you shouldn't beat yourself up over it. Still it is a decision that I've struggled with every day since my fateful decision.

My story begins at a diffuse NW2-2a and foolishly rushing into an HT. My goals were far too lofty and I was in over my head. Looking back, my doctor surely knew my state of mind and didn't protect me from myself. While you can only blame someone else so much I find that part the most despicable.

I researched and made my decision within a month. That was my huge mistake.

With all the hindsight I have now, here's an exhaustive list of things I wish I had done:

- initial HT consultation with at least 2 coalition doctors

- try the big 3 meds first for at least 6 months; pay attention to side effects

- continue researching HT procedures, techniques, results and doctors for 12-18 months

- understand location and cost should not be constraints

- measure donor & recipient density/hair bulk, loss pattern

- consult with dermatologist for any possible reactions

- understand the procedure end to end including surgical process, expectations, common side effects in the skin, healing and care

- consult with psychologist (no joke) to understand if I would be able to handle the change

- consult with coalition HT doctor again and draft a master plan

- see a HT result in person, performed by different doctors; all pictures can lie; lighting and angles deceive

- Look for pictures and posts of good AND bad HTs

- Know your options for HT repair

- shave head and keep it that way for at least 1-2 months, see if you like it

- read bald guys forums for support and tips to maintain a buzzed dome

- After 12-18 months, if ready, try HT and be as conservative as possible

I actually had a pretty good head of hair when I started (still decent) but here's my story -

I had an uneven hairline with a raised side only which was really the only concern. I didn't really know I was balding in a diffuse pattern. I had the FUE HT without being on meds and had shockloss. Went on fin and it helped keep the crown full, side effects faded in a few months but the hairline continued to shed. Flaky scalp ensued (and persists to this day). 1 year post-op I tried kirkland minox 5% and used it for 2 years, things seemed to be on the up and up, however it is likely that I just slowly thinned uniformly to match the hairline and having a short buzz on the sides helped create an illusion of fullness. My loss has picked up in the last 8 months and I don't think I'm going to make it out of this year without the HT standing out on its own.

It has only been 3.5 years since the HT but that time has been littered with obsessiveness, self consciousness, spectrophobia, anxiety and most of all - regret and disappointment. In that entire time I've only had a fleeting 6-8 months where I felt 'normal'.

Being super picky about hair, I honestly feel that HTs are probably not truly viable for many if not most candidates in terms of being natural looking. This is just my own opinion but I personally wouldn't recommend a HT at all save for a few situations:

- no balding; filling in temples or rough patch

- older (40ish); family history of loss is documented; hair loss has been stable for a long time

- fantastic responder to meds in addition to strong characteristics from point 2 and a master plan good psych health and with money to spare

Even happy patients with sparsely laid HTs are probably just fooling themselves about their hair.

I understand that the last statement in particular sounds really jaded and that's because I am, even with a good and relatively even amount of hair on my head.

I would say I'm fairly lucky as I've shaved down to a 0 in the donor and didn't mind the FUE pock marks too much. It is almost invisible at a 1 guard. Still I'm a concerned about my recipient zone due to scaly, flaky skin, and larger follicles in the grafts but I think it should be manageable if I buzz down with some laser treatment and electrolysis to get rid of the hairs; possibly fraxel or vbeam to smooth the skin. This is going to take time, money and head/heartache.

While I know there is more to life than hair, I'm having a lot of trouble looking past it as it has been a strong defining characteristic for so long. My vanity led to my undoing and in the end I've learned that I had my priorities in the wrong places.

I hope the OP is doing well and keeping his spirits up. I mostly just wanted to say that I understand what you are going through and I hope you end up luckier than me - stable and with a good result. If anything at least you can grow facial hair unlike me, hah!

The industry definitely needs to be more honest and upfront about the process and results. I hope this post finds people debating on getting a HT and at least have them reconsider once more. I'm not saying there can't be good results and I'm not saying that every doctor is crooked, but I think the realities of HTs are not exactly what the photos would have you believe.

Be cautious - I wouldn't wish my worst enemy to go through what I did.

I Just read this post again. Heavy stuff.

Greatjob,

All 9 pages of this thread are essentially useless without updated pictures

I disagree. There is obviously a lot of emotional turmoil surrounding a HT as witnessed by the varying responses posted - all this without even one picture posted as of yet. The morose comments by Harry about deception as well as the agitated response by OtherSyde had nothing to do with the actual results of a HT in and of itself. The 9 pages of this thread demonstrate that a HT is much more than a mere cosmetic procedure. The emotional and psychological strains of undergoing a HT cannot be validated or invalidated based simply on pictures of the final outcome; neither can physiological injury that is not obvious to the human eye such as nerve damage to the scalp.

A HT is not a hair cut that you can simply change next time you go to your local barber if you're dissatisfied with the results (not that I have to tell you or anyone else this self-obvious fact). Of course, everyone reading these posts wants to see pictures to see if there's any "truth" to what is being posted - but really, a good deal of the "truth" is in the subjective experience each of these HT patients is trying to process post surgery - and that is not something that can be illustrated in a photo.

The 9 pages of this thread speak volumes about the potential risks, rewards, and failures of a hair transplant procedure - all without a single photo.

- Nathaniel

Greatjob,

I disagree. There is obviously a lot of emotional turmoil surrounding a HT as witnessed by the varying responses posted - all this without even one picture posted as of yet. The morose comments by Harry about deception as well as the agitated response by OtherSyde had nothing to do with the actual results of a HT in and of itself. The 9 pages of this thread demonstrate that a HT is much more than a mere cosmetic procedure. The emotional and psychological strains of undergoing a HT cannot be validated or invalidated based simply on pictures of the final outcome; neither can physiological injury that is not obvious to the human eye such as nerve damage to the scalp.

A HT is not a hair cut that you can simply change next time you go to your local barber if you're dissatisfied with the results (not that I have to tell you or anyone else this self-obvious fact). Of course, everyone reading these posts wants to see pictures to see if there's any "truth" to what is being posted - but really, a good deal of the "truth" is in the subjective experience each of these HT patients is trying to process post surgery - and that is not something that can be illustrated in a photo.

The 9 pages of this thread speak volumes about the potential risks, rewards, and failures of a hair transplant procedure - all without a single photo.

- Nathaniel

Yes but many people are neurotic, have body dismorphic disorder, have unrealistic expectations, have great results but becasue of a combination of the before mentioned factors think that the results are terrible. I suspect many of these apply to the original poster since at 17 days post op he deemed his HT a failure and the worst mistake he ever made, which is completely ridiculus to say at less than a month post op.

So I say again without updated pictures all of the rants on all 9 pages of this thread are completely useless. How can anyone access whether or not the posters claims of his HT being a failure and the worst decision he ever made are valid without updated pictures.

Yes but many people are neurotic, have body dismorphic disorder, have unrealistic expectations, have great results but becasue of a combination of the before mentioned factors think that the results are terrible. I suspect many of these apply to the original poster since at 17 days post op he deemed his HT a failure and the worst mistake he ever made, which is completely ridiculus to say at less than a month post op.

So I say again without updated pictures all of the rants on all 9 pages of this thread are completely useless. How can anyone access whether or not the posters claims of his HT being a failure and the worst decision he ever made are valid without updated pictures.

For all we know, the OP is a hair-piece salesman who is sick of losing customers to superior HT surgeries and decided to use a sock-puppet account to infiltrate this major HT forum and post terrifying things to scare people away from surgery. I mean he sort of made a few irrational, doom-and-gloom posts (only 6 total posts on his acocunt to date) and then just vanished.

Where did the OP go, anyway?

I agree that a lot can be gleaned from this kind of thread without pictures, but pictures would really validate these claims of his.

/rant

....It's like a lose-lose situation, a catch-22 that victimizes anyone without perfect genetics, like in that movie Gattaca.

In light of your recent post in this thread, I can finally relevantly thank and comment the above quote! Thanks for taking the time to write all that out. I have the same outlook and notions, but never took the time to put all that into words. Hell, the reason I choose this handle stems straight from the same school of thought expressed in your post.

Basically, this is how I am supposed to look; this is how I DID look. Screw you nature/genetics...THERE ARE NO TAKE BACKS. I'm reclaiming what is mine. You had no right to give me something so awesome and cruelly decide to take it away. I won't go down without a fight, mark my word.

Plus same thing about society, et al. Tons of people in their everyday life, use shit that's more fake when compared to the logistics of a hair transplant. It is our hair. They're just being relocated where something once was. There's a reason why this is called the Hair Restoration Network.

Bonus points for Gattaca reference.

I agree that a lot can be gleaned from this kind of thread without pictures, but pictures would really validate these claims of his.

Additional pictures would certainly add another dimension (after all, the OP did provide initial pics). At the same time, I think it is dangerous to just dismiss the sentiments expressed by the OP, CHB811, Mickey85, and HarryForReal.

I agree at 17 days and even at 8 weeks or so the OP's initial concerns were a bit premature. At the same time, however, there is absolutely no evidence at all the OP is a toupee salesman! xD

His posts seem to reflect the same fear and concerns that virtually every other post-HT poster has expressed during the same time frame - even if expressed in a seemingly histrionic manner.

How can anyone access whether or not the poster's claims of his HT being a failure and the worst decision he ever made are valid without updated pictures.

My understanding - limited as it is - is that high patient satisfaction is a key determinant in HT doctors obtaining "Recommended" status as well as "Coalition" status. If the patient was dissatisfied with his initial HT I don't think it is for you to tell him he is "neurotic," has "body dismorphic disorder," or has "unrealistic expectations." If the OP is speaking truthfully about his own experience - and again there is absolutely no evidence otherwise - we must at least consider that there were valid reasons for it without summarily dismissing him as basically "crazy". It appears as though he was dissatisfied enough to go back and get a second procedure - and apparently the doctor was initially recommending another 400 grafts (we don't know how many were grafted in the second procedure or if it was even the same doctor). Still, taking everything at face value, why didn't the doctor get it right the first time? Or another way of looking at it - why do I keep reading about OTHER HT patients having to go back for additional grafts? If the time line for results is somewhere between 12-18 months, having to go back for a second procedure to "fix" things means at least a 2-3 year wait time for final results. That's a long time!!!

Bad hair transplants occur - FACT. How many horror stories have we seen WITH PICTURES in forums as evidence? Just because the OP did not post pictures at 12 months doesn't mean the rest of us should throw caution to the wind and blindly rally behind the hair transplant industry. I am continually amazed by the "Wild West" feel of this unregulated industry...

Additional pictures would certainly add another dimension (after all, the OP did provide initial pics). At the same time, I think it is dangerous to just dismiss the sentiments expressed by the OP, CHB811, Mickey85, and HarryForReal.

I agree at 17 days and even at 8 weeks or so the OP's initial concerns were a bit premature. At the same time, however, there is absolutely no evidence at all the OP is a toupee salesman! xD

His posts seem to reflect the same fear and concerns that virtually every other post-HT poster has expressed during the same time frame - even if expressed in a seemingly histrionic manner.

My understanding - limited as it is - is that high patient satisfaction is a key determinant in HT doctors obtaining "Recommended" status as well as "Coalition" status. If the patient was dissatisfied with his initial HT I don't think it is for you to tell him he is "neurotic," has "body dismorphic disorder," or has "unrealistic expectations." If the OP is speaking truthfully about his own experience - and again there is absolutely no evidence otherwise - we must at least consider that there were valid reasons for it without summarily dismissing him as basically "crazy". It appears as though he was dissatisfied enough to go back and get a second procedure - and apparently the doctor was initially recommending another 400 grafts (we don't know how many were grafted in the second procedure or if it was even the same doctor). Still, taking everything at face value, why didn't the doctor get it right the first time? Or another way of looking at it - why do I keep reading about OTHER HT patients having to go back for additional grafts? If the time line for results is somewhere between 12-18 months, having to go back for a second procedure to "fix" things means at least a 2-3 year wait time for final results. That's a long time!!!

Bad hair transplants occur - FACT. How many horror stories have we seen WITH PICTURES in forums as evidence? Just because the OP did not post pictures at 12 months doesn't mean the rest of us should throw caution to the wind and blindly rally behind the hair transplant industry. I am continually amazed by the "Wild West" feel of this unregulated industry...

I would most certainly call the OP crazy unless he provides pictures proving otherwise. Also I don't believe he ever mentioned his surgeons name so I am not defending the coalition. Yes there are a lot of hacks out there that is why this forum is so important, I am the first to call out any bad procedure or shady doctors but this post is just someone who is obviously uninformed about hair transplants.

You have not been around very long so you may not realize how many irrational people, people with agendas, or people with mental problems post on here with stories of the sky falling. Tbh there are posters on this site right now who tell tales of disaster and if they were to post pictures you would think they were mental because their is nothing wrong with their hair. This forum is not as bad as others, the bald truth for example I would bet that upwards of 50% of the regular poster suffer from body dismorphic disorder. There are countless people over there with 1000's of posts that finally post pictures and they are NW 2's at the most, but claim their life is ruined because of hair loss. I started losing my hair pretty much as soon as puberty set in and was a very diffused NW 5 by my 21st birthday, so I find a lot of these people's claims of their lives being ruined completely ridiculous.

The op had minimal loss and at 17 days post op claimed it was the worst decision of his life which speaks to an utter lack of knowledge about hair transplants. Without updated pictures I can only assume that like a lot of uneducated patients he was chasing Justin Bieber hair, which is something that is rarely possible with hair transplantation. And since I didn't read anything that suggests a hack job and the op is returning to the same doctor I assume he had unreasonable expectations, and isn't posting updated pics because everyone here will tell him it looks great and he is crazy.

High patient satisfaction is very important but what happens when a patient's expectations are not medically possible or due to a warped sense of self image they can't see the reality of the situation? I can't count how many instances of a good hair transplant I have seen where the patient thought it was a failure.

Doctors have to be held accountable but so do patient posters. If I posted a thread detailing how at 17 days post op my transplant I received from a respected clinic like H & W, Shapiro, Rahal, ect. was a complete failure and continued to say it was a failure and the worst decision of my life but I posted no pictures to back up my claims would that then be a valid account of patient dissatisfaction? Of course not.

The op had minimal loss and at 17 days post op claimed it was the worst decision of his life which speaks to an utter lack of knowledge about hair transplants.

greatjob- no disrespect, and I agree with this (above) but there are other posts and opinions on this thread that are both interesting and important, and I don't think its fair to call the OP crazy for being uneducated about hair transplantation or having low self esteem.

...this post is just someone who is obviously uninformed about hair transplants.

Is it not the doctor's job to inform the patient about realistic outcomes? So what if the patient is chasing "Justin Bieber" hair? If that is the patient's expectations before the surgery, shouldn't the doctor clarify? Why are you putting the blame on an uneducated patient with no experience in hair transplants or any other medical procedures most likely when the "expert" is the doctor???

Quite frankly I'm really appalled at your "blame the victim" mentality. It brings to mind the old argument, "Well the little 17 year old girl was wearing a mini-dress and lipstick when she went out on that date; it's really her fault she got date raped. She should have known better."

I can't count how many instances of a good hair transplant I have seen where the patient thought it was a failure.

One thing that really bothers me about all you "haters" (to paraphrase Justin Bieber) is that on the one hand you all decry that a great hair transplant appears totally natural and is undetectable by even the finest surgeons, but then when patients (and by your recollection an "uncountable" number of patients) complain that the results are a "failure" you blame the patient and accuse the patient of being mental, having poor self-image, and (oh my!) uneducated/unrealistic about expected outcomes.

If the number of patients who regard their transplant as a failure is truly "uncountable", then perhaps a simple disclaimer should be added to all procedures: "Potential hair transplant candidates should know that in a recent study the number of former hair transplants who regarded their operation to have been a total failure was so high as to be uncountable by any means known to man."

We can further add, "Any post-operative hair transplant patient that claims his or her procedure to have been a failure will be labeled a witch, heretic against God, or NY Mets fan and will be burned immediately at the stake without evidence or trial."

I agree with MAGNUMpi - I don't mean to be disrespectful towards you or anyone else on this forum - and as MAGNUMpi wrote:

I don't think its fair to call the OP crazy for being uneducated about hair transplantation or having low self esteem.

Finally, is not one of the goals of this forum to promote techniques and practices that yield the most realistic, natural, and undetectable hair transplant results? By repeating claims thread after threat that patients have "unrealistic expectations" it seems to me that you and others on here are setting the bar pretty low with regards to expected outcomes and, in so doing, are not really promoting a standard of "naturalness".

Perhaps instead of always raving "Great job, doctor - looks totally natural!" posters should give a qualitative numeric rank on a scale of 1-100 with 100 being "TOTALLY AND COMPLETELY NATURAL" - of course if "TOTALLY AND COMPLETELY NATURAL" is a "Bieber dream" then we should never see any scores of 100.

Oops...make this my second "Finally"...

...I assume he had unreasonable expectations, and isn't posting updated pics because everyone here will tell him it looks great and he is crazy.

As long as we are making unsubstantiated assumptions, how do we know you aren't some hack job doctor posing on this forum as a hair loss sufferer with the goal to draw in candidates to your for-profit crappy clinic by focusing potential HT candidates' on near-natural results (did we establish that there's no such thing as natural results?) while simultaneously dismissing actual HT patient dissatisfaction with their results as "crazy talk"? But why stop there? Perhaps you are not a hack job doctor - perhaps you are one of the top clinics like Shapiro or Hasson/Wong or Feller?

Look....I'm not really making such an assumption - I have no reason to believe you are in fact a hair transplant doctor.

One thing I find interesting is that at no point did the OP claim that his doctor was a hack or that the outcome was even a total failure. All he claimed is that he was unhappy with the results - in a histrionic manner, yes. Also he claims he went back for a second procedure, and has posted nothing negative as of yet about the second procedure.

I, too, would love to see 12 month pics and more, but again I reiterate - this post ultimately does not seem to be about the pics, but rather about patient satisfaction among this patient, CHB811, Mickey85, HarryForReal, and "countless" others regardless of public pics.

Frankly Nathaniel you have not a clue what you are talking about. I am not attacking the victim, search my posts and you will see if someone posts a failed procedure I will totally empathize with them and call the procedure what it is, a failure. You will also see that I have posted my own personal results, so while my unsubstantiated claims about the op are based on what he has posted on this forums, making unsubstantiated claims that I am a hack doctor are not equal because a simple forum search would show you that is not the case.

I don't mean to be disrespectful towards you or anyone else on this forum

You don't mean to be disrespectful? You are equating me to someone who claims a girl that has been raped was asking for it, I'd say that's pretty disrespectful.

The fundamental point I am attempting to make is that when you make claims on this or any forum the burden of proof lies with you. You can't come onto a hair transplant forum and make very bold claims that a ht was the worst decision you ever made without providing proof that you actually had a hair transplant and it was a failure. Otherwise you are creating fear and panic based on nothing.

I one hundred percent agree that doctors should spend way more time educating patients, however you can't make anyone believe something they don't want to believe. I could spend an entire lifetime explaining to someone who literally interprets the old testament of the bible that the Earth could not possibly have been created in 7 days, but they will never believe it. Likewise you could spend hours explaining the reality of a hair transplant to a severely depressed patient who is grasping at a hair transplant as the cure for all of their problems, and they will never fully realize what you are saying.

One thing that really bothers me about all you "haters" (to paraphrase Justin Bieber) is that on the one hand you all decry that a great hair transplant appears totally natural and is undetectable by even the finest surgeons, but then when patients (and by your recollection an "uncountable" number of patients) complain that the results are a "failure" you blame the patient and accuse the patient of being mental, having poor self-image, and (oh my!) uneducated/unrealistic about expected outcomes.

If the number of patients who regard their transplant as a failure is truly "uncountable", then perhaps a simple disclaimer should be added to all procedures: "Potential hair transplant candidates should know that in a recent study the number of former hair transplants who regarded their operation to have been a total failure was so high as to be uncountable by any means known to man."

I really, really, really take issue with you putting words in my mouth, calling me a hater, claiming that I made the statement that the number of unsatisfied patients is uncountable, and that I have a blame the victim mentality. You have not a clue in hell what you are talking about and are basing these claims on one post I have made on one thread. I'll wait, go check all my posts and tell me where I said the number of unsatisfied patients is so high it is uncountable. Go back and check my posts and tell me how you can justify the claim that I always blame the victim. Go back and look at my posts and tell me how I am a "hater". You don't know anything about me so please don't make generalizations about me like you do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am done with you and this conversation. I still hold the opinion that the post is pointless without updated pictures. You are entitled to your opinions as am I.

You will also see that I have posted my own personal results, so while my unsubstantiated claims about the op are based on what he has posted on this forums, making unsubstantiated claims that I am a hack doctor are not equal because a simple forum search would show you that is not the case.

I will certainly look at your profile and other posts of yours. I am very interested in hearing what everyone has to say about hair transplants, and of course pics mean a lot to me as they do you; however, to clarify I never claimed you were a hack doctor - just the opposite actually:

Look....I'm not really making such an assumption - I have no reason to believe you are in fact a hair transplant doctor.

You don't mean to be disrespectful? You are equating me to someone who claims a girl that has been raped was asking for it, I'd say that's pretty disrespectful.

I was not intending disrespect - but your repeated comments about patients being to blame for unrealistic expectations whether because they are uneducated, have poor self image, or are simply "crazy", made my mind jump to another common scenario (date rape) in which the victims frequently are blamed for what has occurred. I didn't mean in any way to imply that you would hold such a view towards female victims of rape, and I apologize if it came across that way. Nonetheless, I am not prepared to dismiss dissatisfied hair transplant patients as crazy just because their expectations of what constitutes a successful transplant is different from yours - especially since what I want in a hair transplant are results that look completely natural by MY standards. If it is not possible to achieve "totally natural results" like I keep seeing advertised, please, everyone on this forum tell me so and let's be done with the lies and bullsh!t.

The fundamental point I am attempting to make is that when you make claims on this or any forum the burden of proof lies with you. You can't come onto a hair transplant forum and make very bold claims that a ht was the worst decision you ever made without providing proof that you actually had a hair transplant and it was a failure.

I agree - I want evidence for everything - including that someone is crazy or a fraud - and your point is very understandable. In fact I would very much like to see pics, too; however since satisfaction with a hair transplant is both subjective and personal, in the end if the patient is not satisfied what does it matter what anyone else thinks really? Knowing that someone out there may call me crazy if I express dissatisfaction with a possible future hair transplant doesn't really make me feel more secure about having one.

My principle issue is the callous attitude expressed in this thread towards someone who appears to be having an emotional/psychological crisis with regards to a hair transplant - with or without pics. When I say I am appalled I do mean it. I find the callus dismissal of someone who may be a real person in emotional/psychological distress appalling - even if they have poor self image, are poorly educated about hair transplants, or really are certifiably "crazy". These are not good reasons to dismiss someone. I mean....how many persons with great self image get a hair transplant?

I am looking to this forum for support and guidance as are many others (Is this thread up to 30,000 views now???). I respect that you have had a hair transplant procedure and will read more about your experience to gain further insight into hair transplants. I also respect that you would like to see pics of this patient's outcomes. But I would also ask that persons who APPEAR to be suffering emotionally or psychologically not be summarily dismissed without evidence or verifiable reasoning. I know my hair loss has been quite emotionally distressing, and it is for support that I have come to this forum - as have more than 30,000 others who have visited this thread. I think it's worth mentioning that.

Sincerely, Nathaniel

You will also see that I have posted my own personal results, so while my unsubstantiated claims about the op are based on what he has posted on this forums, making unsubstantiated claims that I am a hack doctor are not equal because a simple forum search would show you that is not the case.

I will certainly look at your profile and other posts of yours. I am very interested in hearing what everyone has to say about hair transplants, and of course pics mean a lot to me as they do you; however, to clarify I never claimed you were a hack doctor - just the opposite actually:

I was not intending disrespect - but your repeated comments about patients being to blame for unrealistic expectations whether because they are uneducated, have poor self image, or are simply "crazy", made my mind jump to another common scenario (date rape) in which the victims frequently are blamed for what has occurred. I didn't mean in any way to imply that you would hold such a view towards female victims of rape, and I apologize if it came across that way. Nonetheless, I am not prepared to dismiss dissatisfied hair transplant patients as crazy just because their expectations of what constitutes a successful transplant is different from yours - especially since what I want in a hair transplant are results that look completely natural by MY standards. If it is not possible to achieve "totally natural results" like I keep seeing advertised, please, everyone on this forum tell me so and let's be done with the lies and bullsh!t.

The fundamental point I am attempting to make is that when you make claims on this or any forum the burden of proof lies with you. You can't come onto a hair transplant forum and make very bold claims that a ht was the worst decision you ever made without providing proof that you actually had a hair transplant and it was a failure.

I agree - I want evidence for everything - including that someone is crazy or a fraud - and your point is very understandable. In fact I would very much like to see pics, too; however since satisfaction with a hair transplant is both subjective and personal, in the end if the patient is not satisfied what does it matter what anyone else thinks really? Knowing that someone out there may call me crazy if I express dissatisfaction with a possible future hair transplant doesn't really make me feel more secure about having one.

My principle issue is the callous attitude expressed in this thread towards someone who appears to be having an emotional/psychological crisis with regards to a hair transplant - with or without pics. When I say I am appalled I do mean it. I find the callus dismissal of someone who may be a real person in emotional/psychological distress appalling - even if they have poor self image, are poorly educated about hair transplants, or really are certifiably "crazy". These are not good reasons to dismiss someone. I mean....how many persons with great self image get a hair transplant?

I am looking to this forum for support and guidance as are many others (Is this thread up to 30,000 views now???). I respect that you have had a hair transplant procedure and will read more about your experience to gain further insight into hair transplants. I also respect that you would like to see pics of this patient's outcomes. But I would also ask that persons who APPEAR to be suffering emotionally or psychologically not be summarily dismissed without evidence or verifiable reasoning. I know my hair loss has been quite emotionally distressing, and it is for support that I have come to this forum - as have more than 30,000 others who have visited this thread. I think it's worth mentioning that.

Sincerely, Nathaniel

I will admit that I may have been a little over the top with my responses, however that is only because the claims made seemed over the top to me, and tbh I might be a little jaded from drama queens on the forums. I am human and as such I am a product of my experiences, so when I see people who are NW2-3 claiming their life is over or a hair transplant is the worst mistake of their life, I may be overly critical.

But as someone who is well versed in HT's I see things very different than most, and I probably should consider my first procedure. Which was nowhere near the graft count I needed, but I was promised a life changing result, however I now know that a 850 graft procedure on a NW5 will do absolutely nothing. So for better or worse that's how I judge cases. If a doctor promises something the procedure could never achieve, like my first doc, then I think they are dishonest people who should be drawn and quartered. However now that I understand how HT's work I give a realistic opinion based on my knowledge. For example if a NW 5 or 6 has 3000 grafts and is upset that they don't have a full head of hair, it is irrational and I try to explain the realistic reality of a hair transplant.

The reason I took issue with this thread is because I have seen this more times than I can count, where I patient is completely unsatisfied and claims the sky is falling, however they refuse to post pics, because the reality is that their expectations were unrealistic and if they posted pics anyone educated in HT's (ie. the majority of posters here) would deem the procedure a success.

I am a scientist by profession so I am highly skeptical and analytical by nature and rarely believe anything without reasonable proof. From your posts you seem to be similar and I would think you can appreciate my thought process. If someone truly had a failed transplant, then yes I will call the doctor out, however in this case all of the posters in this thread who claim to have had disastrous results have not provided adequete proof that their claims are valid.

But as someone who is well versed in HT's I see things very different than most, and I probably should consider my first procedure. Which was nowhere near the graft count I needed, but I was promised a life changing result, however I now know that a 850 graft procedure on a NW5 will do absolutely nothing. So for better or worse that's how I judge cases. If a doctor promises something the procedure could never achieve, like my first doc, then I think they are dishonest people who should be drawn and quartered.

I completely and totally empathize with your experience, even if my own hair loss has not come close to approaching a NW5. I am continually shocked at the total disregard for patient welfare in exchange for a quick and opportunistic wad of cash through the exploitation of vulnerable hair loss sufferers. It is enraging. I would like to see more regulation of this industry with agreed upon standards of practice.

they refuse to post pics, because the reality is that their expectations were unrealistic and if they posted pics anyone educated in HT's (ie. the majority of posters here) would deem the procedure a success.

Greatjob, here is where I might see things a bit differently. Instead I see hair transplant patients who are embarrassed to post pics, are too emotionally distressed to put forth the effort or continue on the forum, or who have legal concerns about posting pics expressing dissatisfaction with a very wealthy hair transplant doctor. There are many reasons why a person may not post pics, including the ones you stated.

At any rate I have just read the advice you provided Seth in another forum, and I concur completely with the honest evaluation and realistic expectation you have given him. It may not be what he wanted to hear, but it is sincere and I believe is the best advice provided.

I am not a scientist, by the way, but rather an artist. I count the breaths taken by a flautist and note precisely where they occur in a Bach flute sonata in a given performance and then consider how that might be different when performed by the same artist on another day; I marvel at how far off the canvas Van Gogh's brush strokes project in the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam in his later works compared to his earlier works; and I delight in both the precision and inaccuracy of language as expressed in poetry, literature, and song lyrics. I am obsessed with the arrangement of the most minute details while simultaneously considering their infinite and undefinable possibilities. Kind of like quantum physics... ^^

Instead I see hair transplant patients who are embarrassed to post pics, are too emotionally distressed to put forth the effort or continue on the forum, or who have legal concerns about posting pics expressing dissatisfaction with a very wealthy hair transplant doctor.

nathaniel,

I understand what you are saying. However, photos are often necessary to determine the objectivity of a particular result. The reality is, some patients simply have unrealistic expectations and a particular procedure and result is fine.

You also have to remember that in many cases, a physician's name and reputation are on the line. Thus, it's only fair that if a patient is going to share their concerns that they also show photos and provide their physician with an opportunity to share their side of the story. This is clearly laid out in our fair forum policy at "Maintaining a Fair and Safe Environment on our Forum for both Patients and Physicians". The physician's name isn't mentioned here and it's far too early to judge anyway, so on this topic, the point is moot.

In this particular case, the patient is lamenting about his "results" 17 days post-op and then again at 3 months. If anything, this is a classic example of how quick emotional decisions and a lack of research can produce a lot of unnecessary distress and anxiety. Thus, it's critical that prospective patients research, educate themselves and feel confident with their decision before undergoing surgery.

Best wishes,

Bill

For the record, I do believe a physician/clinic is responsible for educating their patients on what to realistically expect. That said, patients need to take responsibility for their own research by asking questions, researching and educating themselves. Ultimately, hair transplantation and education should be a collaboration between the patient and physician/clinic.

TL;DR version:

Crazy panicking guy gets HT and then complains frantically, then gets another HT and immediately claims it to be a complete failure and disaster - 17 days post-op. Apparently he's as clairvoyant as he is histrionic. Also, he refuses to ever post any new pictures or progress updates, so no one knows anything for sure, which is where most of the arguing and philosophical dissertation is coming from: Is the guy nuts and suffering from the dreaded Body Dysmorphic disorder? Or are his HT results really that bad? And is it politically correct to call him "crazy"?

Beyond that there's just my crazed rant a few pages back, and a bunch of fervent and gratuitous ego-masturbation as several "scientists" and "artists" have a jolly ego-enhancing circle-jerk - and we're all glad there are no pictures of that. :P