Dr. Hasson/8402 Grafts/One Session/ 11 Months

At Hasson & Wong we have been pioneering the way in terms of these large mega-sessions. Back in 2003 and 2004 we were regularly performing 3000 and 4000 graft sessions and started pushing into the 5000 graft range. Physicians and patients alike were concerned about our yields with so many grafts. We were able to show that our yields were excellent and today these mega-sessions are more common around the world.

It has been at a slow pace that we have been pushing up the FU numbers per session. In able to do this we have had to continuously monitor patient outcomes a year after surgery before being confident that we could push further and bigger.We now have multiple patients with great results in the mid 8000 graft range and continue to push onward toward 10,000 FU.

Before photos were shot in our Vancouver clinic with a Canon point & shoot digital. After photos and HD video were shot in Madrid at the Hotel Preciados with my Nikon D7000 w/ 50mm 1.8G lens.

We will be showcasing more results of these large mega-sessions soon. Stay tuned.

hwmd8402_001.jpg?i=4107698

hwmd8402_002.jpg?i=252256234

hwmd8402_003.jpg?i=439971936

hwmd8402_004.jpg?i=1707231937

hwmd8402_005.jpg?i=617562046

hwmd8402_006.jpg?i=1891828740

hwmd8402_007.jpg?i=1003663655

hwmd8402_008.jpg?i=1111928505

hwmd8402_009.jpg?i=2139282414

hwmd8402_010.jpg?i=1485981602

hwmd8402_011.jpg?i=954417424

hwmd8402_012.jpg?i=1465654642

Edited by Jotronic
added video
  • Like 1

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Beautiful work! The placement, everything on this man's scalp looks perfect. Can't tell he had any work done. :)

I really like seeing these large size sessions. They are home runs from the start.

Looks awesome Joe. Was there video shot of this result as well? Is this guy going to have any more surgeries (not that he needs it but just if he wanted it to be a little thicker)? Regardless another jaw dropper. Well done.

I want to ask something, yes it is obvious that there is no problem in yield with megasessions. Are you as hasson and wong taking more grafts per session or are you taking more grafts overall? I mean if a person has 10k grafts in his donor bank, are you pushing this number up or just taking more in one session?

Another question is london_lad had more than 7k grafts in one session.if he was your patient now ,would you be able to take more grafts or does it completely depend on the individual?

Excellent coverage in one pass. Beautiful! He looks to have quite a bit more donor available should he want to go at it again.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

hdude.

Yes, a full HD video is forthcoming. If not today then early next week.

Azazelgs,

I mean if a person has 10k grafts in his donor bank, are you pushing this number up or just taking more in one session?

That is a very good question. The answer for both questions is "yes" but I will qualify this answer further.

We obviously, with the above case as only one of many examples, can get more grafts in one procedure than anyone. But the way we take the strip I believe allows for more overall grafts as well. We have really spent a long time studying the small details of how the donor zone reacts to tension and what can be done to get as much hair as possible. By lessening tension for these larger procedures it opens up the ability to get more hair later on. For example, one small detail is how the incision is made to remove the strip. One of the most popular doctors on this website wrote a review several years ago after he first saw Dr. Hasson remove a donor strip at a hair conference in Arkansas. This was about nine years ago and he said "I honestly believe Victor did not transect a single follicle" when the donor strip was being removed. This is but one of the advantages to paying close attention to the donor area. Did you know that most clinics take about 20 to 30 minutes to remove a donor strip? It takes us at least an hour, sometimes an hour and a half and this is on virgin tissue with no previous scarring.

There are many cases where I see final numbers over "x" number of surgeries (our patients) and I often wonder how another clinic would have fared. We have several patients where the final graft count has skyrocketed above 10,000 grafts over three or four surgeries with a few of them in the 13,000 plus bracket. There are always going to be those cases however which do not have the luxury of getting big numbers in two or three procedures much less one procedure so I don't want anyone thinking that these numbers or results are possible for everyone, cause they're not but I am confident that if two identical twins were to have surgery (assuming they are absolutely identical in every way) and we had one twin and another clinic had the other twin that we would be able to get more grafts in one procedure and subsequent procedures as well thus allowing for a more dramatic improvement that will not need to be enhanced with funny angles or flash photography.

I hope this answers your question.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Joe,

Yes great answer, especially the one about twins. So I want to ask, what is the maximum number can this patient get? And also about density/laxity , which one is more essential , donor density or donor laxity?

After spending time with this patient while in Madrid Dr. Hasson was surprised to see the laxity was still so good. With his good density still intact Dr. Hasson estimated that a 2nd procedure would yield another 4000 to 5000 grafts. Ultimately I don't know how many in total this patient has but it is obviously more than enough.

This is probably the best result with one pass I've ever seen. He looks like a new man.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

The lucky git imagine a one and out with no finasteride or minoxidil needed ever again. 8402 grafts is nothing compared to the effect it gave he must have extremely coarse thick hair strands.

This is gonna go down as one of the best transplants ever it's up there with bobman, london lad, biscuit and so on.

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

Just awesome work Joe, what a lucky guy.

I still am not sure as to why Hasson & Wong are able to get these huge numbers when other clinics aren't even in the same ballpark. I know Dr. Hasson is able to vary the width of the donor strip (wider in the back, narrower over the mastoid processes, wider again towards the ears, etc...) in order get a low tension closure but is there something else that I am missing? I have noticed that the strip almost goes vertical along the sides of the head and I guess that will add to its overall length. It's really impressive work.

Also very nice to see when combing through his donor that the scar was undetectable.

Stagger,

Without embellishment the scar was just as difficult to find in person. It was really amazing and thankfully the quality of the HD video captures this at least to some extent. I've learned alot about high end photography since I started working here, enough to invest in good gear and even be displayed in local art galleries, but i haven't spent much time with the HD video options on my camera. I'm going to learn more about this though as the depth of field allows for a more immersive experience. I digress.

As far as why or how we can take more hair in one session, it simply comes down to taking the time to do it right. Ask any doctor during consultation, or better yet any doctor's patient, and find out how long the donor strip removal took. Most likely it took 30 minutes or less. It will take us an hour at least, sometimes an hour and a half. Even the way we use the scalpel allows for minimum to zero transection and the less transection during donor removal the more hair is available to transplant. Did you know that some clinics still use a multi-blade scalpel? This prevents the ability to widen or narrow the strip based on regional tension because both blades are at a fixed distance apart.It also transects a LOT of hair further lowering the overall final take. There are lesser details that I'm not at liberty to share but they add up to allowing more hair to be available.

Just yesterday we had a young man from Texas come in and he had a very similar story to my own. Two donor scars, NW6 but he was considerably younger than I was when I first came here ten years ago. Dr. Wong thought we'd be lucky to get 2000 grafts but when he arrived and Dr. Wong had time to study his donor area he wound up moving almost 3500 grafts AND removed both donor scars. This would not be possible today if Dr. Wong and Dr. Hasson hadn't started pushing the boundaries of what is possible fifteen years ago.

Just awesome work Joe, what a lucky guy.

I still am not sure as to why Hasson & Wong are able to get these huge numbers when other clinics aren't even in the same ballpark. I know Dr. Hasson is able to vary the width of the donor strip (wider in the back, narrower over the mastoid processes, wider again towards the ears, etc...) in order get a low tension closure but is there something else that I am missing? I have noticed that the strip almost goes vertical along the sides of the head and I guess that will add to its overall length. It's really impressive work.

Also very nice to see when combing through his donor that the scar was undetectable.

I only just noticed Joe had replied as I was typing this message!

I think the other reason is about the confidence of the individual doctor. H+W have been studiously building their grafts per session record and it would appear they have the experience and confidence to try for that little bit more in certain patients. A lot of doctors are more reserved in what they are willing to try for various reasons. It takes an outfit like H+W to push the boat out before others are willing to wade that far. There are lots of great doctors but being a pioneer is an entirely different endeavour. H+W have the background, experience and ambition to be those pioneers I guess. It's wonderful when the results justify those efforts and I think we can all agree this patient proves that many times over!

It's much the same in any other field; many wonderful surgeons but only a handful make it their profession to go further.

The video confirms my previous assessment that this is the best single surgery result I've ever seen. The grey hairs help, the styling helps, the thick donor hairs help - regardless, it's got to be one of the best turn arounds in the history of hair transplantation. No exaggeration.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Shuffle's is right up there, as is london lad. Would love to see updates on both. There's also two 4200 graph cases from Dr Hasson that are very very very good as well.

Edited by hdude46

I just wanted to mentioned that without a big experienced staff this wouldnt be possible. Sometimes there are as many as 12 girls working on one patient. The girls vary from 3 years experience (dissection) to close to 17 years (implanters) experience.

Edited by lorenzo

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson