Natural DHT blockers..Any suggestions?

Went for an 800 graph transplant on Jan 17th by Dr.Dorin...He performed a 1400 graph transplant in March of 2010..

The 1400 graph one came in nice but I have to tell you once you have this so called hair loss gene it doesnt seem to stop...Took propecia for 3 years straight about 8-9 years ago and if it really did work would I have went for 4 HTs? 2 by Bosley 2 by Dr.Dorin,I am a 48 year old male..

Dont feel like shelling out 65-70 dollars a month on Propecia especially with all the hype about a lower sex drive..Lets face it, we are men and of course as you get older, you do slow down but who needs that on our mind so to speak.

I am currently taking Hairomega ''used to be called hairmax'' twice a day in pill form..It claims to have the natural ingrediants to combat DHT..Been on it now 2 months so I guess it needs time to work in my system..

Even after 4Hts since 07 with around 3800 in the front I still consider myself thin in the front...

Any help with a DHT blocker would be great..

Thank you...

If you don't want to spend a lot on Propecia than get an prescription for generic Proscar and cut it into fourths (1.25 MG). I pay $9 for a three month supply from walmart - same drug (finasteride). And all the hype about the lower sex drive is just that - hype!

There are NO natural alternatives to finasteride.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

For some people Finasteride just slows down hair loss and for some people it completely stops it for many many years. It just all depends on how your body responds to the medication.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

There are a few out there (check the section of this forum dedicated to hairloss medicine) but in honesty I'd be careful. Blocking DHT is what causes some people to have side effects, not finasteride specifically. To that extent stuff like Saw Palmetto (probably the most famous "natural" DHT blocker) are just as likely to cause you problems - the only difference being they're not as well trialled and not FDA recommended for hairloss treatment.

As previous poster said generic proscar is your best bet; much cheaper. If you're dead against finasteride there are other touted DHT blockers (such as Saw Palmetto) but they're poorly documented because they're not strictly for hairloss; there is no common consensus on dosage or statistics on side effects, so in essence I'd say they're even riskier than finasteride.

Finasteride will remain your best bet. It is the blocking of DHT that has the potential to cause sexual problems, so any blocking of DHT has the slim but clear risk of doing the same. There isn't any way to get around that unfortunately, whether you take herbal supplements or any other type of drug. The only difference with finasteride is we know the statistical likelihood of these side effects (around 2%) because they've been thoroughly studied in pretty large numbers.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried saw palmetto for over a year (450mg--higher doses have not resulted in significantly greater effects). While I experienced no side effects and saw less hair loss, I am stopping after my current bottle and moving on to other treatments.

I am going to start a related post asking for specific results from certain treatments

• 5 years later...

ninjathen,

To be honest, I haven't been impressed with any so called "natural" DHT blockers. Saw Palmetto is an ingredient in a lot of products and is claimed to block DHT but I really haven't seen much evidence of this in the real world. You could try ketoconazole based products or shampoos which may be your best chance. I'd suggest Revita, but that alone simply won't be enough. You could use that in conjunction with Rogaine, which isn't a DHT blocker, but may help stimulate growth while the ketoconazole tries to do it's work.

Best wishes,

Bill

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Propecia doesn`t help you? I am really surprised Hair Loss How to Prevent it? Female Hair Loss Pattern - Missy SharonT I had it for a few months and I have noticed improvements even for this short period of time.

Edited by Admin
Promotional link removed

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...

I found saw palmetto did nothing either, I have biotin and various vitamin supplements but need to read & learn more about finisteride yet as I know thats where things really change (for the better or worse I cant decide)