Should I expect this 11 Months Post Op??

Hi,

I joined this forum to hopefully get an unbiased, non-marketing opinion from real people that have been through hair transplant procedures. It has been 11 months since my first hair transplant procedure. I paid for 3000 grafts - but how should i know if it ended up being 3000. I did all that was required of me for post op and pre-op. I think I have Norwood 5A.

I am thinking of getting a second procedure done, but I am not interested in spending all the money if I am going to end up with hair that still looks thin. Is this what I am supposed to expect after 11 months and 3000 grafts? It just doesn't seem like my results match the expectations that were set forth in front of me. But if I am on track and a second procedure will make the hair look full and very close to normal, I would like to know from experienced hair loss sufferers that have undergone the procedures so they can tell me to stick with it.

Refer to the pictures please.

Thank you.

ElevenMonthHair.jpg.d95695c5877b5a8121654f8f596a8407.jpg

HairDirectLight.jpg.bce7b7f4b98f98f5b23cd620ff2318c8.jpg

Steve

It looks like too me you were starting at ground ZERO!! After seeing your pre op pics, I would say 3000 grafts spread over that amount of area is a LOT of head to cover!!! You would certainly benefit from another procedure...The Bad news is I think you probably still need anywhere from another 4-6K based on what Im seeing...all depends on what kinda donor area and laxity you have...

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

No, it doesnt look good. That Doc sucks really. If he understand about HT, he wouldnt plant them in this way. You better go to him and ask for compensation or real big deal discount for next procedure. There is no way that he is a recommended doctor. Anyways, you will hear the same BS "wait 18 months bla bla".

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

Steve, for 3000 grafts it is pretty much what you would expect to cover 5A real estate.

The average consensus is that it takes 1,000 grafts to cover each level of norwood.

I'd have to agree, another 3,000 grafts would really make a difference.

That whole 18 months thing, after your 1 year mark would only account for 2% give or take extra difference really. It's not like you will see another 20% in difference or change. The usual timeline is 1 year and if you haven't seen substantial change by the 1 year mark then the 18 month mark wont show much. To me it's kind of like time wasted and headache because your expecting substantial change up to the 18 month mark and waiting. Most of that change your looking for should be hit at the 12 month-13 month level and that's that.

Your procedure should have been set up by having 3,000 grafts all in the front half and then coming back to do another 2-3000 grafts for the second half of your scalp. Or to be knocked out in one procedure if you had that many grafts extracted from the donor. Now, if and when you decide to go for your next procedure, the doctor has to work in between the hairs that grew to add density.

Here is something else that will help analyze your result, from the 3000 grafts you had, do you know exactly how many 1's 2''s 3's etc hair groupings you had? This will help count the total number of hairs planted. Good luck with everything.

I thought you looked great with a shaved head. Have you considered buzzing your hair to like a #1 or #2 all the way around -- same length? How is the scar in back? Maybe you could do a small FUE procedure to hide the scar. You would at least have a resemblance of a hairline now and some stubble which would look pretty good IMO. Add a little facial hair and you'd look like a stud!

I know that's not really the answer you were looking for but I agree with others that you'll likely need another 3000+ to get the density you desire.

I agree, you are the lucky few that can rock a bald look if you wanted to and still get away with it smooth due to the head shape you have.

But I really think for your next procedure, you sit down with whatever doc you choose and shoot for high density on the hairline and then taper the density towards the back.

Thank you guys very much for taking the time to look at my pictures and respond with your comments and suggestions.

Doctor was Larry Shapiro.

He originally said 2 procedures to get my "hair looking good" (recap: i've only had one so far)

Thank you Sean for the info and the breakdown. I can't count all the1's, 2's and 3's, but I do see that there are some there and some seem to be 4's and 5's.

The scar doesn't seem so bad, obviously I haven't shaved my head in a year. And what is this small FUE procedure that could hide the scar? I have never heard of this.

I feel like I am already into this and should commit to getting a full head of hair (a lot people say i look more like i was meant to have a full head of hair than shaved) but yes, I have received the compliment that I have a good head shape a lot too.

Any more comments or suggestions from anyone in the community are greatly welcomed.

Thank you guys.

My previous surgeon transplanted the hair in the same way, scattered and with noticeable spaces. Too shame for that Doc to carry the last name of a great surgeon Ron Shapiro. I hope everybody takes attention in this matter, when we praise Shapiro we mean Shapiro medical group (Ron and Paul) and NOT Larry Shapiro. Get yourself repaired steveholmes2 and dont give up your battle. At least fix your hairline to look natural. I did mine with Rahal last July and now i feel like a normal human. Hairline is hardest to camouflage if you are into concealers.

My Hair Treatments:

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

'In a hair transplant, follicular unit grafts are hair groups that occur naturally in the scalp. Each follicular unit grafts contains hair in groups of 1s, 2s, 3s, and 4s. The average number of hairs in a follicular unit graft is different for every hair transplant patient however, overall it is said to be around 2.2 hairs per follicular unit graft.' I guess technicians had too many transections and it looks like they transferred 1s maybe 2s but I can not see 3s which makes the full look at the top.I mean doc is not successful in the distibution of hairs .I do not think you can have another 3000grafts relocation

That is probably about what it is going to look like if all those 3000 grafts were spread out from front to back. It looks like you had a decent yield but they weren't packed close enough together.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

I think that is about what you should expect for 3000 grafts. Although I am not sure who did your proceedure, it is not the route I would have went. It all depends on how much money you have, your donor and laxicity, and the doctor you choose. Jotronic, H and W's rep (you can look him up on this site) had about your level of baldness and your charateristics. It took him about 9K grafts. To look at him he does not look bald, but he doesn't have a "full" head of hair either. I would consult with a recommended doctor and see what options you have.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Thank you guys very much for taking the time to look at my pictures and respond with your comments and suggestions.

Doctor was Larry Shapiro.

Dude you are seriously lucky to have the results you do have! Larry Shapiro is the biggest quack in hair transplantation. I've seen countless stories about him shorting people on the amount of grafts and low yields. He probably didn't give you 3000 grafts.

Isn't he in Florida? You should have gone to Dr. Charles. He is probably the best in the state.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

3000 grafts from a good surgeon will make a difference, but you should probably shoot for more than that if your budget and donor will allow for it.

You started from a very advanced hairloss pattern so it's no surprise that you don't have the result you were hoping for. Getting your hair "looking good" is a very ambiguous goal for surgery.

I really hope that you find a solution.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Has the patient said where the grafts were put he has said he's a nw5a but that doesn't mean he had the work there? Maybe i've missed it but if he hasn't then how can anybody be telling him thats what you'd expect for 3000 grafts it may just be work in the front.

Steve where did you have the grafts put was it the full nw5a area from the front hairline to the bottom of the crown?

What i can say is considering you went to Larry Shapiro you've not done too bad for him he's the worst surgeon i've ever had the misfortune of seeing display work on line imo! If someone said to me i have to be either shot in the leg with a gun or a free ht with Larry i honestly would be shot in the leg! Last time i saw Larry's work he was still using mini grafts like dolls hair so it looks like he has improved tactics slightly.

What you need is a top class megasesion surgeon like Hasson and Wong or Rahal and i'd say for a decent result you will need at least another 6000 grafts. Most people with your loss that go down the ht route have top surgeons transplant at least 8000 grafts over 2 or 3 surgeries but it's likely given the fact Larry did you don't have 3000 successful grafts at this point.

Edited by bonkerstonker

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

Thank you guys very much once again. I am taking all of your comments and suggestions into consideration.

I looked up Jotronic on this website and couldn't find him as a user. I would have liked to see pictures of what you were describing Spanker.

Thanks for the Dr. Charles recommendation RCWest. I will schedule a consultation with him tomorrow to see if he can perform a good second procedure for me.

Rahal looks good, but the locations seem too far away for me right now. I will try Dr. Charles first.

And the procedure was done from the hairline to the crown and I was told that the "first procedure will be coverage, and the procedures after would be thickening". I wasn't promised a one-and-done, but yeah, I was hoping for better.

Thank you guys all so much, and once again, more comments and suggestions are welcome =)

I looked up Jotronic on this website and couldn't find him as a user.

Hi, Steven. You can check out what I've been through on my website.

Here is my story...

My Hair Transplant Story | Hair Transplant Blog - HairTransplantMentor.com

Here are all my photos...

Hair Transplant Photos | Hair Transplant Blog - HairTransplantMentor.com

Let me know if you have any questions.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Very dramatic Joe, you should make a movie about your hairloss and hair restoration story. I didnt hear you on bald truth show last week :-(

My Hair Treatments:

I think if you concentrate your next round on your frontal third , you could turn out with a really nice hair line , then you could brush your hair back and look badass. First step is picking the right surgeon for your case, plenty of great doc's listed on this site. Lots of us on this site know how it feels to get a shitty , ripoff hair transplant.. but there a lots of people out there who can help you. Ive heard so many horror storys with Larry Shapiro, he should be fined and removed from the industry...him and hundreds of other wannabe transplant surgeons.