Hair Transplants and Minoxidil, Propecia and Laser coombs (2nd post)

Is it necessary to keep using Minoxidil/propecia or laser hair coomb

after a hair transplant if previously used?

I would have thought that having a hair transplant would be a permanent solution to hair loss and that other treatments would no longer have to be used?! therefore the investment of a transplant saving on the long term (for life) costs of and the effort of continually using minoxidil, propecia and laser coombs.

Why would I need to carry on with treatments such as Propecia, Minoxidil and laser combs apart from the goal of stopping the lose of hair that they have re-grown when a transplant could replace this hair for good without the effort/side effects of ongoing/timeless treatments

If any naturally occurring hair that is still present at the time of transplant that subsequently falls out, I would then perhaps expect to have to pay for another transplant (I have read in ‘Hair Loss for Dummies’ that its advisable to come with a long term plan with the surgeon to take into account future hair loss or have future hair loss in a constituency plan)

However If I did want to save on transplants costs then using Minoxidil/propecia and/or laser coomb to help stop future loss of the naturally occurring hair that’s left could be an option (I still have some hair in the front/middle of my scalp)

I have also read that minoxidil/propecia are advised by some surgeons to be used following transplant even if not previously used

Ideally I would want to stick to transplants due to having one off charges and not having to either pay regularly (minoxidil, propecia) or have the effort of their application (laser coomb and Minoxidil) or the risk of side effects (minoxidil and Propecia) If I was previously using these treatments I woud ideally want to stop using them and have a transplant to replace any hair that either has fallen out naturally or has re-grown and would fall out if I used then stopped using Minoxidil/propecia/laser coomb.

Edited by adambucky
editing of text

Propecia is the most potent weapon in tackling hairloss.

Minoxidil, nizoral and the other listed non surgical treatments may help, some more than others.

The others are used in conjunction but finasteride is what will give you the most benefit.

Hair loss generally is progressive and finasteride will slow the progression and in some cases completely halt it.

Ideally, you need to minimise the loss and replace the hair which is lost.

You could use the appropiate metaphor of a water in a bath. You can put more water in the bath by running the tap ( replacing your hair), but it is not much use if the plug is out of the bath.(losing more water)

If we all had an unlimited donor supply, then medication may not be necessary, but we don't and that is why company's such as replicell exist.

I cannot remember what I payed for my years supply of finasteride ( between 150 to 200 GBP) but if you think, over a 20 year period, take the larger amount, that is 4000 GBP.

If I do decide to carry on the medication for that period of time, that will still be less than the 1900 grafts I had 6 months ago and I am likely to need more transplants as I age, like many other hair loss sufferers.

I can assure you transplants by good surgeon over the period of your lifetime will far exceed the cost of finasteride.

Edited by chrisdav

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.