Dr. Scott Alexander - My experience...

clayman22

First I just want to express how grateful I am for this website. About a year and a half ago I started the process of deciding whether or not to get a hair transplant. Been on propecia for over ten years, and I had held on to a lot of hair, but I was on my way to a NW6. I had managed to hold on to my hairline though. I was definitely nervous and insecure about a HT, but I wanted to see what was out there. I live in LA and scheduled consultations with a few of the usual suspects, but the meetings left me feeling very unsure. It wasn't until I found this website that I felt like I was able to get an honest read on the realities of hair transplants. What an incredible resource documenting the good and the bad of the procedure.

After hours and hours of reading the forums and blogs, I decided to schedule a phone consultation with a couple of docs. Hasson and Wong was one. Dr. Scott Alexander was the other. I was impressed with the results of H&W, and my conversation with the rep was incredibly informative. Good news was they did big sessions. I wasn't excited about shaving though.

When I got on the phone with Dr. Alexander, I was immediately at ease. I just got this feeling that I was with the right doc for me. He was kind, confident, and real. He wasn't trying to sell me on anything, instead he acted as a resource, answering every question in an honest manner. He told me about his philosophy on the HT, how he doesn't believe in going over 3000 grafts to minimize the scar, how he doesn't insist on shaving, how he uses the finest blades possible to facilitate healing and prevent scarring. While I know he was an expert on hairlines, I would be starting right behind the hairline and getting about 3000 in the frontal third. Everything about him made me feel comfortable and safe, and I decided to go through with the procedure.

Flew to Phoenix and got the procedure done. I found his staff to be incredibly kind, caring, and attentive. And the one setting the tone for them is Dr. Alexander. When you're getting a HT, it's obviously one of the most important decisions you're going to make in your life, and I felt like he embraces this and lets you know he understands what you're going through. He's never rushed or hurried, insists you're comfortable and ready to proceed through every step of the process. He explained the gameplan and we were off.

The procedure itself went smoothly. I feel no need to recount it because it was by the book of how all the reports on this website read. Went back to the hotel that night, then flew back to LA the following morning. About a week later, my stitches were out and I went back to my normal life. I push my hair back, so no one could tell a thing.

I experienced the stages we all know and read about. Some shock loss, the doldrums, then the growth burst at 6 months and the thickening afterwards. 10 months later I was very happy with my result, but I knew I needed to get the crown taken care off. I set up another phone consult with Dr. Alexander. The same comfort and ease was present right away, he had taken detailed notes of my first case and had answers to all my questions. To me, it was a no brainer, come back for about 2500 more into the crown. He assured me I would have plenty left if I eventually lost my hairline, and one day I had to return to finish the job.

So I flew to Phoenix on Tuesday and went in for round two. Same wonderful staff, same incredible experience. Dr. Alexander confirmed that I had a great yield from the first HT, and I had healed really well. We could barely find my scar. Back to the hotel that night, and flew home the next day. Now I'm laying low for about 7 days, then I'll return to normal life again.

I never intended on documenting my experience, and as a result I have not taken any photos of my progress. But after returning from my second procedure, I just wanted to take the time to:

1. Thank this website again. I honestly never would have decided to start this process without it, and it has been a phenomenal support system throughout.

2. Express my gratitude to Dr. Alexander and his staff. Those of us on this site who have gone through a HT know that it is a scary, nerve wracking, intimidating process. There are ups and downs and doubts and worries, but if you choose the right doc, you can eliminate a great deal of the negatives and feel confident that you're in the best possible hands. This was my experience, and I just wanted to say thanks. If you are considering him as a doc, you can't go wrong.

I wish all those of you considering a HT the best of luck on your journey. I'm happy to answer any questions you might have, just send me a message.

clayman22,

Welcome and thank you for sharing your experience with Dr. Alexander. I too am a patient of his and I concur with everything you've stated about both the doc and his staff.

I encourage you to share your pre and post-operative photos by creating a photo album, blog or hair restoration website.

Best of luck and I look forward to following your progress.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Congratulations on your successful first hair transplant and the most recent.

He is a top Surgeon and keep us posted.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

• 3 years later...

Hey can you tell me what price per graft he charged? Also do you know what price per graft for FUE he charges? DO you have pictures of pre op and post op?

I to am like you I am nervous and worried about getting a bad surgeon as there are majority bad ones and want to make sure i spend my money on a good honest TP surgeon.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Again thank you so much!!

Congratulations on your successful first hair transplant and the most recent.

He is a top Surgeon and keep us posted.

Hey i saw you mentioned you have a successful transplant with a good hair surgeon.

Can you tell me what procedure and price per graft?

Also is it possible you could share a pre op post op picture and how many grafts were transplanted?

I am trying to find a honest and excellent surgeon to fix my hair loss, i have been dealing with it since 2009.

Im sure you know the stress that comes with.

Hope you can share with me your experience so it will help me in finding a good surgeon.

Thank you for your time.

Craig