Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 2194grafts/3754hairs After SMP

Thanks for answering all of these questions Janna. It would be nice if all of these ink clinics were more upfront and transparent about their procedures, if not for nothing else but to spare you from doing all of their dirty work.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for answering all of these questions Janna. It would be nice if all of these ink clinics were more upfront and transparent about their procedures, if not for nothing else but to spare you from doing all of their dirty work.

Aaron,

Exactly! From the 3 companies that provide SMP , HIS is the most open and cleanest about their procedure, however I really don't like their hairlines. GLI seems to provide the best results in terms of similarity of a follicle and hairline shape but as Janna told, it seems that they have some issues with the longevity of the ink. I am really really interested in this since I'm planning to use my hair buzzed but I am still not %100 convinced to this procedure.

Aaron,

Exactly! From the 3 companies that provide SMP , HIS is the most open and cleanest about their procedure, however I really don't like their hairlines. GLI seems to provide the best results in terms of similarity of a follicle and hairline shape but as Janna told, it seems that they have some issues with the longevity of the ink. I am really really interested in this since I'm planning to use my hair buzzed but I am still not %100 convinced to this procedure.

Janna,

Thank you for the quick and honest answers. By the way , could you inform me more about this ink that Joe told ? Seems like I missed that. If not on forum , could you please pm me the practitioner and the web site? Thank you.

I think I am not. There are some people who have a diffuse thinning all the way in their nw6 area. You can clearly see the difference between the hair in sides and on top. However, when they buzz it with the lowest clipper, (what I mean by buzz is to use a clipper with no guard, check out Philips 180* rotating clipper) it looks like they have a full head of hair.

Can you give me a link to what you are referring to with Philips 180 rotating clippers? I take it that you see an example of a nw6 guy buzz his hair? I looked at a website for the clippers but I only saw a man with a full head of hair.

I noticed a thread you started on SMP and Joe mentions the temporary SMP artist by name. She is based in Milan.

Aaron,

You're welcome and thanks for being such a sweetheart! Hopefully, I've provided a satisfactory answer as to why we wouldn't recommend a technique that still has unanswered questions attached to it unless the patient had no other options due to previous scars or they fully understand what they are getting into. Down the road, these same patients may regret going the SMP route. You can always add but subtracting ink or hairs is a lot more difficult.

This looks great. I think a hair transplant and SMP complement one another. I'm very excited to be getting SMP done with GLI on June 30. I had a hair transplant with Dr. Shapiro on June 30 last year!

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

Dr. Epstein August 4, 2008

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

364 three and four hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro November 18, 2009

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro July 1, 2011

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

• 2 weeks later...

I'm happy to report this patient stated he'd be able to make it in this Friday afternoon to take another set of pics. This will be approximately 3 months since his FUE session. We're not expecting any growth from his FUE session but it'd be nice to see how his SMP is holding up.

I know there's a lot of interest in the FUE/SMP combo, are there any particular questions you'd like me to ask this patient?

Hi Janna,

I'm having my procedure done at GLI on Saturday. I'll stop by your office Friday to say hi and see Dr. Shapiro. I go back to GLI Monday for my follow up. I can come by your office again Monday and you can take photos if you'd like so you'll have another example of Dr. Shapiro's work blended with SMP.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

Dr. Epstein August 4, 2008

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

364 three and four hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro November 18, 2009

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro July 1, 2011

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

Yes, Dr Ron mentioned you'll be stopping by Friday. We were hoping you and this patient would be able to stop by at the same time at 3pm. You can then see him in person and answer questions if you have any. Have a safe flight. See you soon.

I'm happy to report this patient stated he'd be able to make it in this Friday afternoon to take another set of pics.

Sweetness!

G'luck with G'Look TTDS! Really looking forward to hearing (and seeing) about your experience this weekend.

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

TTDS,

Good luck with your procedure and it is so nice to hear you again!!

Janna,

Thank you so much for giving us a lot of info on SMP/FUE combo which we are dying to find out about!

About questions;

1-Has anyone noticed he had a tattoo on his head?

2-At what length of the sides it becomes clearer that its 2-D and noticable?

3- Any color changes? (I guess we can see that in pictures also)

4-What about the removal of this ? Is it completely reversible without any scarring??

I guess that's all come up to my mind. Thank you again!

About questions;

1-Has anyone noticed he had a tattoo on his head?

Pt's answer: He had smp procedure a month before his fue procedure. During this time, he felt it was noticeable but no one looked at him oddly or asked him about it.

2-At what length of the sides it becomes clearer that its 2-D and noticable?

Pt's answer: he shaves his head with a zero guard every 5 days. GLI recommended him to shave to zero guard every other day. The longest he wore his hair was right after the fue procedure because he was informed not to shave for full 10 days post surgery. His goal is to shave to a #1 guard once his fue grafts have fully grown. The longest he's worn his hair is a little over a cm in length and he felt his hair looked really good.

3- Any color changes? (I guess we can see that in pictures also)

Pt's answer: No, he has not notice any changes.

Janna: I personally thought the color faded just slightly from month 1 post smp, however, I thought it looked more natural at month 4 than it did at 1 month. He has experienced some growth from his fue procedure so it could be due to presence of actual hairs that it looked more natural.

4-What about the removal of this ? Is it completely reversible without any scarring??

pt's answer: He was told it was permanent, that the sun may make it fade slightly but he never checked into reversing the procedure. He is very happy with both smp and fue procedure. He stated he has always had a high forehead so going conservative with the smp and fue was the best approach for him.

My understanding of the smp removal is that it's costly and painful. Multiple trips to laser removal is in order.

This patient plans to come back in another 3 months for another set of pictures.

I'm posting pics in few minutes once they are in order. I've tried taking close ups and put couple of them side by side before his fue procedure. They are labelled accordingly....

Edited by Janna

I forgot to add that when you see this patient in person, you don't notice the slight redness you see in these pics of the recipient area from fue. With flash and close up, you see more of the redness.

• 3 weeks later...
Janna, this is a good presentation on SMP, how often will the patient update?

He plans to update again at 6 months post-op from his fue case.

• 2 months later...

Hello,

Pictures of pre-smp and fue and 7 & 8 mos after are put together side by side.

He shaves his head every 4 days without a guard.

Slide1-19.jpg

Slide2-14.jpg

Slide3-11.jpg

Slide4-12.jpg

Slide5-10.jpg

Slide6-9.jpg

I like where this patient is currently at. It looks like he got a sunburn as he's a little red. His reconstructed temple points look very nice. Fingers crossed the ink doesn't turn blue/green.

Cargo,

Are you unfairly maligning JoTronic or trying to make a bad joke?

Nonetheless, your comments on this topic are not only inappropriate, but unfounded and untrue.

If you are going to post here, please stay on topic and don't make baseless attacks.

Thanks,

Bill

Please explain in detail how you would know of my personal interactions with Jotronic? After answering that, please explain how you've concluded a conversation you've never heard is baseless, unfounded or untrue?

If you believe it to be just a bad joke or innapropriate, then I will be careful not to make any further comments of that nature. If you think it's baseless or unfounded, then I'd love to know how you've surmised that.

Cargo,

In re-reading your post, I misread SMP as SMG and thought you were accusing JoTronic of criticizing Shapiro Medical Group. So I apologize for my misinterpretation.

That said, calling him out on this topic when he has not participated on it is inappropriate. Also, last i spoke with him about 2 weeks ago, Joe does not represent an SMP practitioner. So where are you getting this from?

Maybe I misinterpreted your tone. But it looks to me if your simply trying to instigate and/or take shots at another well respected member without reason.

Bill

Huh? What? No, I don't represent any SMP clinic or practioner. Why am I even mentioned in this thread to begin with? What possible connection could I have to this thread at all?? Cargo65, what gives?

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians