98 % shock loss

Hey guy as you can see from my before and after pictures i got hammered with shock loss from my ht..my question is will the hair i lost from shock loss come in before the new hair..keep in mine the before picture is also transplant hair ...thank you P.S I JUST ADD A 3RD PICTURE THAT'S A WEEK LATER..THANKS

006.jpg.f399850d4d992c08c191df28fba8a970.jpg

007.jpg.962b58f2308f64d6e139654446f3ca54.jpg

5b32d1e558469_IMG_03171.jpg.105872caab356093487519bd5012a472.jpg

Edited by MIKIEB

Hey MikieB - I'm struggling to work out which picture is which.

The first picture is the before picture, I assume?

The second picture looks to be immediately post op.

Where's the after pictures?

OK, it's very difficult to see the full extent of any shockloss because of the scabs from the procedure.

How long after your operation was the 2nd picture taken? It looks immediate post-op.

I'm sure some others can either confirm or correct me on this, but shock loss doesn't happen while the surgery is taking place, I believe it happens days or weeks later once your body fully reacts to the procedure. In theory, you should enter the surgery with the same number of hairs that you leave with.

Did you have any of your hair cut to help with the procedure?

How long before your surgery was the first picture taken?

Mikieb, I swear that this happened to me in my 1st bad hair transplant, The bad HT doc knocked off my grafts during placing incisions, I bet that he didn't shave your hair before the surgery takes place. Guess what my man, I'm not trying to scare you but this shock loss I had was 75% permanent and made me cry not because of the money i spent but the native hair I lost, I could have enjoyed my life with those native hairs that could be maintained with minoxidil :-(. I'm sure that you went to an unknown surgeon and definitely not recommended. I feel you Buddy.

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

Shock loss is very common and many of the hairs that you have "lost" most likely were just cut during the procedure day while the incisions were created. Hariri is needlessly frightening you and giving you false information. The healthy hairs you had will return and if they were transplanted hairs in that area they will absolutely grow back. It will take several months to see an improvement usually between 3-4 months to notice your native hairs/prior transplanted hairs return but it will still be a bit thinner than you were pre op. Around 6 months is where the native hairs/pre op transplanted hairs and the new transplanted hairs will really start to improve and give you an improved look and it's pretty much all improvement from there. Way too early to be discouraged you'll be fine.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

MikieB,

I'm convinced that the term "shock loss" was named accordingly both due to the physical "shock" or trauma to the scalp during surgery and the mental "shock" one experiences when they look in the mirror :-). While it can be quite daunting to see less hair (even a lot less) in the mirror than you started with, it's not unusual for this to occur.

I've seen countless hair transplant pictures before, post-op and after surgery and nothing in the above pictures surprise me. In fact, I've seen cases of shock loss much worse than yours.

In my opinion, try not to become overly anxious, relax and take comfort in knowing that you've selected an exceptional doctor to perform your hair transplant.

I also encourage you to keep us posted on your progress by posting monthly pictures. If you haven't already, feel free to create a free patient website to document your journey.

Best wishes,

Bill

Bill.. Thank you very much,coming from you that means alot to me,i have followed you over the years while having my hts.this has got me upset but theres nothing i can do about it now except hope for best.thanks again......

Hi mike i know what your going through as i have gone through this before and all i wanted at the time were examples of other peoples photos where they were hit with huge shockloss and recovered so if you check my blog at the bottom of this post you will see my example of how mine grew back and also at the time i looked at a guys called Epeleptic skeptics blog which i'll give you the link for below too. To answer your question it's weird how your hair grows back but i personally felt the shockloss grew back before the ht hair but it's so hard to tell i would say by 4 months i was back to where i was though.

This is Epeleptics.

Hair Restoration Site for Epileptic Sceptic

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

Mikie,

I'm glad my response helped to make you feel better. I know how hard dealing with post-traumatic shock loss is first hand having gone through it multiple times myself. But try to hang in there and remember that it takes time to heal and see your final result. Often times, we look worse before we look better. It's all part of the journey :-).

Best wishes,

Bill

Are you on Finasteride? It helps protect native hair from shockloss to some extent, unless the native hair was on it's last legs. Either way, some or most should come back.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Rc west,,bonkerstoner, thank you for relpy, rc west i have been on propecia for 7 years,the hairs i lost are not native they were from my last trasplant thats why its bartering me so much i did not think i would lose so much. Its not the money,i can replace that. Its the hair..i am runing low on donar..i only blame myself.. I was the one that told the doctor to bulid up that part of my hair.i should have just done the left and right side..bonkerstoner your reply has definitely help him to get back into a more positive frame of mind i thank you and everyone else..take care guys..................

Chin up mate you'll get through this, it's just part of the process the ugly duckling phase doesn't help when your mind is playing tricks on you I've been through it 4 times and still get the odd negative thought.

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

MikieB,

It appears to me that you have both diffusion and recession going on especially in the frontal zone which is not unusual.

It also appears that many of the new grafts were done in areas where there was little to no exisitng hair.

You will look much different and better once the new grafts grow in and very hard to tell how much of your natural hair that was diffused will come back. Only time will tell.

The toughest part of the process now is waiting for your procedure to fully mature but it will come so hang in there Mikie and we all wish you the best as your grafts grow back in. ;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

thanks gillenator, yes there is allot going on up there.,and yes there we be allot of hairs in places that there was none before.i had two other ht before and got lucky with very minimal shock loss.a rep from true and dorin replied that he thinks some hair were just cut so i am hoping they may come back sooner..i am just hoping for the best.. i did not just pick Dr Dorin just like that,i been to many many ht dr before i picked him.so i do have faith in him..

a rep from true and dorin replied that he thinks some hair were just cut so i am hoping they may come back sooner.

Hey Mikie,

This makes a lot more sense than shock loss during the procedure. Shock loss is a gradual response from the body to the trauma of surgery, I've not seen examples where there was a pile of hair on the floor of the surgery room due to shock loss.

This is why my first question was whether or not they cut the hair and the fact that they did cut some is very good news for you.

If it's just been cut it should be growing already (unless you also have some shock loss over the next few weeks).

Best of luck and I'm sure it'll all grow back for you!

Since the hair that shocked was previously transplanted hair, it WILL come back. Unless there was transsection, which is highly unlikely with a world class surgeon like Dr. Dorin. You should start seeing regrowth at 5 or so months.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

You went to one of the top surgeons in the business, so I am confident that you will be fine. Don't be discouraged at all. You will get through this tough phase and then the hairs will start growing. Hang in there.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

• 1 year later...

yes 100 %..try not to let it get to u..my shock loss was very very bad..much worst then the frist two.yet this ht (3rd one) clearly turned out the best by far..hope this helps..take care..

Mikieb,

Thanks so much for answering. I've had a rough 3.5 months to say the least. If you don't mind me asking. Whenn did shock loss start to recover and when did you get back to even? Also how could you tell shock loss came back and not just. Your new grafts growing in? I ask becuase I have little faith new grafts growing in so I'm counting on shock loss recovery. Again thank you for responding.

hey jetfan i would have to say that both shock loss hair and transplanted hair come in at about the same time..i do feel that the shock loss hair thicken up faster then transplant hair. as far as telling the difference between hairs you really cant .all you can do is look at the before photos ..jetfan why are you thinking negative about you new hair growing in ..think positive ..shock lose sucks ,it bugged the shit out of me.i have never in my life felt the need to wear a hat until shock loss hit ..the goods news is that time flys by..also the members on this site were awesome they help me huge..i hope i answer your questions .feel free to ask me any another question..i have got a lot out of this forum ,i am always happy to get the chance to give back. take care......