Effect of Pets (Dogs, Cats) on Hair Transplant Results

Hi, I'm a long time surfer and first time poster here and it was this forum that lead me to an outstanding surgeon for my procedure. Thanks a lot!

Though this forum is full of information, I have a unique question (or a parnoia so to say).

I had an HT 11 weeks ago and next weekend I'm planning to visit my parents. My parents have a cat and a dog and they usually jump around me and on my bed as well which leave bed sheets and sofas etc. full of dog's and cat's hair (and of course not to mention the rest of the house :D). So, my question is whether I should be worried visiting there in such evironment where there are pets and stay there for few days? Would it make my scalp too dirty etc. and effect my HT results?

(On a side note, I also use toppik on the existing thinning areas)

You'll be fine :)

If your mop can support being caked in Toppik, it can survive some dog hairs :P

Just keep up with general care -- shower every night, as you'd do to wash out the Toppik.

Can always check with your doc, of course; but if you're HT is at risk 11weeks out because of some dog hair shedding in the house you'll be staying at, I think it's safe to say any successful HT would require us to stay hibernated like a bear inside a sanitized white room 24/7.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Thanks for the replies mattj and thanatopsis_awry.

mattj

I wonder how do the guys who have pets (especially cats and dogs) at home deal with this if Dr. Rahal advise to avoid such situations for 2 weeks?

I had my 1yr old bulldog stay with my family for one week, and friends for another two nights. After that, I was just careful.

The real danger, IMO, is when you're asleep; they could step on your recipient, and what not. Simple solution:

Crate for the night (and most dogs are crate trained already, if they don't already sleep in a crate)

Or if you know how you your dog sleep, I wouldn't worry (eg, when my beast goes to sleep, she's not suddenly waking up any time soon to start galloping around :))

I guess cats are a different story; though maybe a simpler ultimate solution: just put in any spare room, with their litter and water.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Dr. Rahal sure has all bases covered. I'd never thought of pets causing harm to a fresh HT.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

im sure it just common hygene and health concern ie any bacteria would increase the risk foliculitis or infection to scar perhaps especialy if the pets jump or lay down on pillows an what not where you may put your head down etc:D

Yes, thats a good point j1j9j85. Luckilly I do not have to worry about the donor scar because I had an FUE.

Regarding the danger of cat or dog jumping over my head, I think I can avoid that quite easily and I don't worry about it much. What I'm most concerned and worried about is the not-so-cleanliness at my parents home because of the presence of a dog and a cat. You know all the animal hair around etc. as well as its much more challenging to keep the home tidy :-S

I hope I'm not being too paraoid here?

Not everyone will be able to completely avoid their pets for two weeks. Just make sure the room you're sleeping in is clean: the floor vacuumed and the bed sheets and covers freshly washed. Keep the door closed at night (firmly if your dogs are as smart as mine is at opening doors) and also when you aren't in the room.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

I'd def want to keep any animal away right after surgery. The reason we get antibiotics is to fight any possible infection/etc that can occur if bacteria/virus invades through the wounds in the recipient zone/donor zone. Aside from having the recipient zone harmed/injured from your pets, some animals can carry a wide range of bacteria/viruses/fleas/fecal matter/ etc and bring all that good stuff to your bedsheets where your head will roll left and right all night. Not just your bedsheets but any other areas around the home you touch and the same hands can end up touching your donor zone or recipient zone that is still healing. That allows all that stuff to invade through the areas of your recipient zone or donor zone since the area was punctured and needs time to heal. You don't want to catch any parasites/worms/etc and when animals such as cats can carry protozoan infections such as trichomoniasis, you gotta be 100x more careful.

Keep all the areas clean around you. Disinfect the areas near you if you have to. You don't want to put any risk to your expensive investment (hair transplant) or your health.

I'd see if someone can take care of the animals for at least a month.

Read Protozoan Infection (Trichomoniasis) in Cats | petMD

It should mention what pets can carry what. You just have to select your pet to the left.

• 7 years later...

Hey guys, I know this thread is a little bit old, but what should I do,  in the morning my dog came to my bed, and I am sleeping really tight, so I don't know what could happen before I woke up. Can this affect my hair after surgery? My wife said to bring the dog to her sister and to buy animal totems just to have the impression that we have animals in the house. But I love that dog.

Edited by HenryStole

Good point j1j9j85  brings up.  Regardless if FUT or FUE, each puncture either in the donor or recipient area, is a wound after all.  Bacteria crawls and now you're looking for trouble.  Bring an animal in and now you may be dealing with other issues.  Interesting.

Allergies, rashes and all sorts of things also come into play..Again with open wounds I would try to keep them at bay.

Lastly, bending over to feed, provide water, etc.....carrying, bend from the knees.

All that being said, if you didn't bleed and the pet has been with you for a long time, doubtful it had an effect.  Besides all these things are bound to happen 1-3 days post op.  With each passing day the risk decreases.