Help...

micknick

Hi all- new member here I hope you can help me.

I'm 32 and have been losing my hair for about 5 years, I have always had a high hair line but now its just a small tuft at the front and the crown is starting to thin as well.

When I was 15 I had an operation on my head which has given me a scar ear to ear with some scar tissue on top of my head. Its because of this I dont want to go down the shaved head route.

I went to Harley Hair clinic in UK to talk about a hair transplant almost a year ago- they advised me that as I was going through some bad things at the time my hair was not in good shape because of my stress levels (broke up with girlfriend of 9 years) They advised propecia which I have been taking for the last 6 months. And that should help to thicken donor areas.

Recently I visited the advanced hair studios where they suggested laser treatment- the pitch he gave me was compelling and I felt quite energised by what he told me. After looking on here I have seen that pretty much no one has had a good experience with AHS.

I have also started using Regaine foam (Rogaine) but only at night when I go to bed as it causes havoc with any hair styling for the day.

Propecia or the change in my stress levels (or both) has meant my hair is a lot thicker in certain areas this could mean I am now able to have a hair transplant.

I really want some advice of what to do and where to go- I am so self concious and I want to do something but as always funds are a huge issue too.

The ?2400 for laser treatment is kind of doable but the ?5k- ?8k for a transplant is nigh on impossible :-(

Any advice guys?

Do not pay a single penny of yours to laser treatment.

I had a consultation with the Harley Street Hair Clinic.

There are better surgeons on here and I would suggest having a consultation with 5 good surgeons from here.

After talking through your problems with them,it should hopefully boost your morale and they will give you valuable,honest advice to help you to achieve your goals.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

Spex is the best person you could talk to in the UK.

I would strongly suggest you send him a mail on here.

He gives great advice.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

The laser treatment might be much cheaper than a HT, but IMO you would be throwing money away. I'd be thrilled if lasers did work, but plenty of people have forked over their money to try them and so far I've seen no results.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Mick,

With your level of balding you are really only going to get the kind of coverage you need through a transplant or a hair system like Hair Club for Men.

The propecia is a great start to stopping future loss. Half the battle is just keeping what you still have. So although you probably wont see much new growth from the propecia it will stop or greatly slowdown any additional loss.

If I were you I would study the video interviews in the link below for an education on hair transplantation as well as finding a great hair transplant doctor in one of the videos.

Yes hair transplants are pricey but the transplanted hair pretty much lasts forever, so think of it as a long term investment.

If I couldnt afford it, personally I would get a 2nd job and direct all the 2nd job money to a hair transplant savings account until I had enough to get it done.

Videos:

Interviews with our recommended hair transplant physicians

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

Mick,

While laser hair restoration is controversial amongst hair restoration physicians and patients, at best, it may help to slow down or stop hair loss as long as you continue treatment. There's some evidence suggesting that laser therapy may increase your overall hair count, but in my opinion, it's hardly enough for any significant cosmetic improvement.

In my opinion, the cost of laser treatments you might receive at clinics far outweighs any benefits. Thus, I'd suggest consulting with leading hair restoration physicians to explore your non-surgical and surgical options. If you're in the UK, I'd strongly suggest consulting Coalition member Dr. Farjo who does outstanding hair transplant work.

Also, if you're not already on them, I'd strongly consider getting on Propecia and Rogaine, which are proven far more effective than any other non-surgical treatment - although, nothing other than surgical hair restoration is proven to grow hair in completely bald areas.

If you are real compelled to try laser therapy, you might consider investing in the much less expensive laser comb or laser cap. But I wouldn't expect too much from them. Read more about low level laser therapy hair loss treatment.

Best wishes,

Bill

Hello

It is easy to attribute many factors to hairloss however I would bet it is simple MPB. You are on the right track with Propecia as this will slow/stop the loss.

Wait a year and then see where you are

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Ok I've been doing some more exploring over the weekend and have been in touch with Spex who has also advised me a great deal.

The first picture I posted was from when I had an appointment with the Harley Street hair clinic in London- that was almost a year ago. Since then Ive been taking propecia for around 7 months. I took a new picture at the weekend with wet hair which a similar length to what I had before:

Mikenew.jpg

It does look a little thicker I think.

I have decided to research some more and will not be pursuing laser treatment. Thank you all for your help and advice- I am definitely going to stick around this forum as everyone has been great and its very refreshing that all my anxieties are not uncommon.

• 2 months later...

My situation is very similar to yours, almost the same age, similar loss pattern etc. I know what you're going through!

Ive been on Fin for 4 weeks and Min for 2. It's probably the placebo affect but I feel like it is working for me! If anything I've noticed less hairs in the shower or on the bathroom floor. Time will tell.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

My situation is very similar to yours, almost the same age, similar loss pattern etc. I know what you're going through!

Ive been on Fin for 4 weeks and Min for 2. It's probably the placebo affect but I feel like it is working for me! If anything I've noticed less hairs in the shower or on the bathroom floor. Time will tell.

Ive never really noticed hairs in the shower etc, its been more gradual than that.

Ive been taking fin since about August- it definitely has worked on the crown for me but carried on at the front quite aggressively. Thats when I started using Regaine foam on the front.

Its got much thinner but after doing some research that is not uncommon, just wonder how long this takes to subside. There are some baby hairs coming through and maybe these will be healthier...

micknick, its great you found this web site. Whatever you decide there is great support and empathy as others know how your feeling. On a separate issue the FUE and FUT both have risks of scars but under the correct surgeon the risks are less, correct me if I'm wrong, Spex, Dutch, bonkerstonker, chrisdav other s who know more than me?

Ive never really noticed hairs in the shower etc, its been more gradual than that.

Ive been taking fin since about August- it definitely has worked on the crown for me but carried on at the front quite aggressively. Thats when I started using Regaine foam on the front.

Its got much thinner but after doing some research that is not uncommon, just wonder how long this takes to subside. There are some baby hairs coming through and maybe these will be healthier...

I would say stick with it. I'm doing 1 application at night on weekdays, twice daily on the weekends.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Micknick, if you have lost that much hair in truly a 5 year span, then something is wrong. That is way too fast! If you have truly lost that much hair from your original hair in a 5 year span, then something is up.

Finasteride will definitely help you, regardless of whether you are a good responder to it or not.

Do not trust anyone in the UK other than Spex! He can help you a lot! He is a great guy!!

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

If finasteride stabilizes your hair loss then I think you may be a good candidate for a hair transplant. You still have a lot of native hair to hold onto. The more native hair you keep the better a transplant will look if you decide to get one in the future. Glad you got in touch with spex. He won't steer you wrong.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

• 1 month later...

Hey Mate!

It is great that you are being proactive in your decision to resolve your hair loss. I am fortunate enough to advocate in clinics that have clients from all over the world. Definitely money invested in laser treatment is really not the best solution in most cases. There are affordable options out there with the best surgeons out there.

HTN recommendations are available through the forum. I have been honored to see folks like yourself and others get great service through advice here; so welcome aboard. You might consider some natural alternatives in conjunction with your medical regimen as long is there is not conflict. Here is a video that could be of interest.

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum