New user/ Need thoughts on situation

Hi guys, I am knew here.

Although, I have explored the website thoroughly and read many, many posts. I am already in contact with Spex and have read his book!

Please read the all the info on my profile/story, I explain everything there, and let me know your thoughts???

Thanks,

Josh

5b32d15b86b45_Front1.jpg.0e12fcf0925d88143dd2dfbf7b629530.jpg

My first advice would be to get on propecia, like yesterday. If you have side affects that are not worth hair, then get off of it.

If you do not use preventive meds, with your age and level, I would just try shaving my head.

Get on meds for a year and see how you react.

That's my advice.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Sorry, just to be clear you don't think I would be I would be a candidate for a conservative HT without going on Propecia?

This would be the same question as

'I have used Propecia and it has no effect and I a viable candidate for a HT? - if not I would not have a HT.

Furthermore, perhaps I would be more comfortable going on Propecia if I understood better the exact Science of the process rather than just peoples personal testimonies:

I am aware that there are 2 types of '5 enzyme' Type 1 and 2. Both these convert testosterone to DHT which clings to RSA in the folicies.

Propecia blocks type two reducing the overall DHT level by roughly 65% (thus type 1 produced roughly 35%). This is a lot! and I am sure its responsible for more than just hair loss and is the kind of thing that can lead to Pseudohermaphroditism ! also almost complete suppression of Allopregnanolone!

I am not clear! I get that many men say there experience no side effects but if I could understand why not more clearly I would have better peace of mind

Perhaps you/someone could clear all this up for me?

Thanks

You are correct on propecia...Avodart, however, blocks both enzymesbut is very strong and usually not needed...propecia will do the job in 90 percent of cases at stopping or slowing the balding process..also, combine this with the rogaine foam or liquid and that percentage goes way up!! You look like a great candidate for a HT...you have a lot of existing hair, BUT if I were you I would certainly want to keep every hair I currently have...Good Luck!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

You definitely need to consider start taking propecia Josh.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

I NOW RIGHT!!! - I keep having a back and forth mental battle in my mind about it. I am reading so much. Good and Bad, my mind is constantly changing!! This BAD for my age for sure - 21. I can almost feel the hair on my dead dying it is sensitive at the root even just to move with my hand!! But I have seen HT results that I would be ok with on NW6/7...

Hi Josh,

I went ahead and moved the thread for you.

Like others are saying, I think you could be a good candidate for a hair transplant procedure after you've spent some time stabilizing your hair loss with Propecia and Rogaine.

The sexual side effects from Propecia is an ongoing point of controversy in the hair restoration community. The official studies indicate that somewhere between 0.3 - 3% of Propecia users experience temporary sexual dysfunction that subsides when the medication is stopped. However, many individuals disagree and assert that Propecia can cause permanent sexual dysfunction, even after stopping the medication.

Frankly, from the scientific evidence presented and the overwhelming response on our community, I highly recommend Propecia. From what I can gather, a small number of individuals do experience sexual side effects and they do cease after stopping the medication.

I hope this helps!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I think I'm just going to do it. F*ck it!! life can't get much worse for me than it already is.

Does starting on .5mg make a difference?

Also consistency I read about MWF and every other day?

Should I bother with any of this? I would assume not because if you going to react your going to react.

Are there any guys (especially younger guys) that use Propecia and notice that it inhibits them keeping in good shape. By this I mean very low body fat, stable weight and size, good muscle definition and a nice natural masculine shape? (obviously people with a consistent lifestyle or fitness regiment would be a better indicator)

Thanks for your comments everyone

It will not do any harm in keeping you in good shape.

I was in the best shape i have ever been in my life on propecia 3 years ago, when i was going to do fitness modelling/natural bodybuilding,shredded, very low body fat of around 6 %

and very muscular.

You can see me on a video on the net somewhere if you don't believe me ;)

But don't rush into make a decision too quick.

Once you start propecia, you need to stay on it as any benefits you gain from it, you will lose when you come of it.

It is more useful in slowing down and stopping hairloss than regrowing hair but it does regrow hair in some cases.

Just educate yourself more, until you can make a well rounded decision based on the facts.

Edited by chrisdav

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

I don't think its possible to know any more short of getting into the detailed biochemistry. I will make an appointment with my GP and also discuss it will a boots pharmacist to get a clearer understanding of that! (boots offer some kind of program that does tests and stuff to monitor the effects - I may just pay for the programme for the first year for comfort). I get that its long term but I don't have a choice and if the meds don't bother me which it is highly unlikely they will not, I may as well just take them ongoing.

Sorry, another question to anyone viewing! I don't think this has ever been asked before from what I've seen. Forgive me, but it is rather crude!!! I have read some people get watery sperm, again the 2% and if so only temporarily. BUT here is the crude part; regardless of that does it 'change' the content of the sperm i.e. would it be noticed if getting a blow job? I'm sure most people don't taste their sperm on a regular basis (I know I never have) - but has anyone ever noticed any complaints or comments?

Also how long should I give the side effects, should there be any, to subside before I call it quits?

Pretty sure that is nothing to worry about. I think you are over thinking it. It's pretty simple. Try it, if the sides are worse than losing more hair then stop taking it.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Ok finally I am just trying to get the exact science completely straight in my mind:

The enzyme 5AR synthesises DHT in the prostate, testes, hair follicles, and adrenal glands. Type 1 produces DHT in the adrenal glands and Type 2 in the hair follicles, testes and prostate. Therefore Type 2 5AR is needed for more than just the hair follicles.

Finasteride 1mg reduces DHT by 85-90% in Type 2 5AR.

This reduces the overall DHT blood serum levels by 65% - thus T2 5AR makes up roughly 2/3 of total DHT. Of the 1/3 of overall DHT left in out body, most of which is amounted from the T1 5AR which supply's the adrenal gland, also represented is a contribution from the 10% still produced from T2 5AR.

So basically what I am getting at is that the DHT produced by T2 5AR supplies testes, prostate and hair follicles. And be reducing the supply by up to 90% for each will make no difference - except on the hair follicles? we can still function completely the same on 10%? Why?

I read that it is becuase we have an abundance after puberty? but still, a 90% abundance seems extreme?

And in the minority of cases where some cannot - coming off the drugs will restore levels back to normal?

Sorry for going on I am just trying to secure reason in my mind so I don't give in to irrational thoughts!!

I am going to a GP and pharmacist later this week so hopefully they will be able to answer this, but you know what its like with them!

Thanks,

Josh

Edited by josh606
repeated information

F**k me mate you're doing your own head in !

Take it or don't it's up to you at the end of the day , , if you get sides then stop talking it and shave your head , oh and stop reading everything on the bloody internet , you'll seriously start to IMAGINE THE SIDES THEN SUFFER ONE FLOP ON THROUGH YOUR OWN ANXIETY AND BLAME THE MEDS !

Dude ,calm the down and listen ..... I have taken finasteride since 2006 , firstly 1.25mgs daily , then 1mg daily , now 0.8 mgs daily , without anymore hairloss .

I have suffered no sexual sides , no loss of libido and no loss of erections , I wank everyday , I have a hot girl , I have sex a couple of times a week .

Due to wanting a family , I have recently had my sperm , testosterone and thyriod checked , all where above average , sperm count 140 million , between 20-200 million is normal , my thyriod is normal , my testosterone was well within the perameters of normal .

My sperm got more watery when I started finasteride , my girl said it DID taste different , and it's more runny , so what ?

I also lost some trouble some thick dark hairs that had started growing on my back , arms and hands around the same time I started to notice my hair on my head falling out , but really who the fuck wants a hairy back and a bald head ?

I have also had my prostate glad checked , it is fine , as it should be at my age .

Finasteride is also used for reducing enlarged prostrates , to stop them cracking which can lead to cancer , a side effect of this , is reduced DHT and regrowth of hair in balding men .

Spanker ( snigger at the appropriate online name hahaha ) is absolutly right , you are making this into far more of a big deal than it has to be , take or don't take it , your choice , your hair .

Just make sure if you have any sides that they are NOT from your over active mind !

Be really really honest with yourself and decide whether any sides are physical or mental , but you'll be fine , watery sperm and alot more hair , easy .

Pm me if you want my number and I'll talk to you over the phone bud , but calm down , freaking out won't help anybody !

richie

Edited by Future_HT_Doc
language.

2100 crown grafts

Dr Feller

nov 2007