Should I jump on PROPECIA?!?

geoffrecession

Are you sure you are even receding?

It looks like your hairline has changed from a juvenile to an adult.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

I have felt a thinning over my entire scalp. My hairline has gone for completely solid to thinning all across. Miniaturized hairs have sprouted across my entire hairline. It has been very progressive.

From my research, these are all the signs of MPB. Am I wrong? Do I wait untill it looks worse before acting?

I just want to take the smartest approach.

Thanks

not sure how old you are,

but i would wait on propecia to you see some "trouble"

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

This is not really directed at your specific question about propecia but more about young guys searching for answers when they start to see early signs of thinning.

The problem with the young guys that are concerned even about some very early signs of thinning (and rightly so...it drove me nuts too) is that it's like a huge major hurricane storm may be coming in and the first part of the storm hits and they want to right then and there call out the repair men to "fix my roof".

The problem is why fix the roof when you have almost no idea at this early stage how bad the "storm damage" will be when the real big storm hits. Donor hair is of limited supply and several years down the line you may need that priceless donor hair for a crown or a frontal hairline that is a much bigger problem than some slight temple recession now.

Be smart with your limited donor hair and use it wisely, it must last for the next 20, 30, 40 years depending on your age.

I know I've been in your shoes and it's not fun when you begin to see early signs of the "storm", but it's best to at least see a bit more damage before deciding on what play to call to fix it.

Your question about propecia is a great start to a long journey if you do in fact have a future with thinning hair. Again I'd say wait, but you may want to go in and see a hair transplant doctor to get a professional opinion on what path you should take at this point in your life.

And what do you mean by trouble?

"trouble" = thinning, balding...

Thank you so much for your response, it was very informative. I won't consider a transplant until my late twenties/early thirties.

I have read everywhere that it is important start Propecia at the first signs of thinning. I have been receding at the temples for more than 1 1/2 years now. Recently I have absolutely felt a overall thinning across my entire scalp and my frontal hairline has begun to recede. Ironically I know this because my hair has been easier to style. Regarding Propecia, I feel the more hair I save the more cost effective it would be. At the same time I am beyond scared of the possible side effects.

Does a mature hairline involve a general thinning across the entire scalp?

What steps should I be taking to treat this currently besides plunging into Propecia?

PS I don't want to come off as vain but my hair is sorta my life. I am an actor and having hair, especially at my age, is ideal to say the least. Once again thank-you to all the responses. Your knowledge and experience is much appreciated.

Geoff...

I think the best thing for you to do if you live in or close to a major city is to call a few hair transplant doctors and see which ones offer a free consult. I think many if not most offer free consults. Make some notes about your biggest concerns before the appointment that you will discuss with the doctor.

With your age and current hair loss status the doctor most likely will suggest holding off on any surgery but will suggest getting on Propecia and will write you an Rx during your office visit. This way you can get your meds and get a professional opinion basically all for free.

Here is a list of the best transplant doctors and their location. So if you are close to one of them call and make an appointment and start your journey.

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Consult-a-Physician/physician-interviews.asp

You may also consider starting Minoxidil foam. Actually any minoxidil will work, I just like the foam much better for ease of use.

Remember the meds generally wont give you more hair, they will just help you hold on to what you have and slow the progression of any loss.

I have been using 2% Minoxidil (All we can buy in Canada) for 4 months now with no noticeable results or slow down of hair loss. Would you recommend buying 5% minoxidil?

I have been using 5% for years, but I am a lot older than you. I am not sure what the answer is. You may ask the doctor that question. I think it is good you are using it early on in this battle. Even with little noticeable results, who knows you may have lost more hair at an even faster rate without it. I have always thought that the hair loss meds are long term tools against balding. Crash diets, crash exercise programs, and crash use of hair loss meds really don't work. So people that try the meds and give up after 3-6 months are missing the point. I was unware that 5% Minoxidil is not available in Canada, I wonder why that is?