I am currently 21 years of age. I am suffering from a receding hairline. I understand that I am too young to get a hair transplant.

My questions:

At what age would it be fairly safe to get a hair transplant?

How much could this potentially cost?

Could I maintain a hairline that resembles a Norwood 2 (my current position)?

I want to tackle this problem as efficiently as possible.

From your experience what would you recommend?

Thanks,

Geoff

At what age would it be fairly safe to get a hair transplant?

Maybe mid-20s but a doc would know better.

How much could this potentially cost?

Cost depends on how much work or grafts you need as well as the type of HT procedure you undergo. The price per graft for a Strip procedure can be anywhere from $3 to $5 per graft. So a patient undergoing a small strip procedure of 1000 grafts could pay up to 5K. There is also an FUE procedure and this is sometimes double the price per graft than a strip procedure. Also keep in mind that many patients need multiple procedures over their lifetime. I personally have undergone 4 strip procedures over a 15 year period and invested a little over 20K over that time.

Could I maintain a hairline that resembles a Norwood 2 (my current position)?

This may or may not be possible depending on the ultimate progression of your hair loss. You could be a NW2 now but could progress to a NW 6 or NW 7 with time. In that case, you might b able to keep a NW2 hairline but have less coverage in the crown. It is also possible, however, that you won't progress that far and could remain where you're at now. Docs will have to analyze your scalp and elicit a complete personal and family history. They can provide you with an educated guess but know that they cannot reliably predict where you'll end up eventually especially when you're a 20s-something patient.

From your experience what would you recommend?

We could chime in on some photos and/or you could just consult a reputable HT doc.

Everything N-6 said is right on. Right now the best thing you can do is research and get on medication to prevent further balding. I started losing my hair at 20 and wish I would have started Finasteride then. I'd have much more native hair now if I did.

Be careful and don't just jump up at anything right now. Wait until you are at least 25-26. And be prepared to do more than one surgery.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Everything N-6 said is right on. Right now the best thing you can do is research and get on medication to prevent further balding. I started losing my hair at 20 and wish I would have started Finasteride then. I'd have much more native hair now if I did.

Be careful and don't just jump up at anything right now. Wait until you are at least 25-26. And be prepared to do more than one surgery.

Great advice!

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1