Best ways to fund cosmetic surgeries?

Wasn't sure which sub forum to place this in, as it isn't specific but also includes HTs, I guess it can belong here -

How do people go about funding operations? obviously hasty decisions are never advised when it comes to cosmetic surgery, and therefore there should always be enough time to plan and even save for procedures, but with other finances to juggle, what options do people have that wish to have several cosmetic operations?

I want to have my nose job so badly, and have done for so long. the only reason why I haven't proceded with it is because of my hair loss worry and been focusing on that, and the possibility of having to spend money on that. However, with every passing year I feel like its something I really should address sooner than later. I could save up for it, but what routes do people take when having these ops?

any responses or some comforting information is warmly received :)

Well for special purchases I have wanted in the past where I didn't use cash I took out a new credit card that offered 0% financing for a specified period... usually 12 months. That is a free loan for one year to do with as you wish, not a bad deal if yu have decent credit and are able.

If you have existing credit lines use the one that is the lowest obviously.

I've paid for my past four with a home equity loan. The interest rate is 4% and I pay alot towards it every month, around $500.00. I consider repairing my head more important than repairing my home, even though both are under repair. :D

As far as your specific concerns, it is never a good idea for someone young to rush in to any cosmetic surgery, whether it be a HT or a nose job, because ones needs can change with time. In 5 years you may look back and say "Why was I worried about what my nose looked like?", and you may also look back in 5 years with a shaved head and say "I sure am glad I never got a HT".

I guess the lesson here is sometimes being broke is not as bad as it seems, and works out in the end.

Edited by wylie

I've paid for my past four with a home equity loan. The interest rate is 4% and I pay alot towards it every month, around $500.00. I consider repairing my head more important than repairing my home, even though both are under repair. :D

As far as your specific concerns, it is never a good idea for someone young to rush in to any cosmetic surgery, whether it be a HT or a nose job, because ones needs can change with time. In 5 years you may look back and say "Why was I worried about what my nose looked like?", and you may also look back in 5 years with a shaved head and say "I sure am glad I never got a HT".

I guess the lesson here is sometimes being broke is not as bad as it seems, and works out in the end.

Geeeez, 500 a month? please tell me that cost isnt just for hair procedures? how long have you/will you be paying that amount?

• 2 months later...

Well, my wife got gastric bypass (free as a health benefit from the military) and lost over 85lbs, but that left saggy skin on her arms and belly. To get a combo tummy tuck and brachioplasty (arm lift), it was $13,500 at Plastic Surdery Seattle with Dr. Gottlieb (sp?).

We saved up $3,500 (we both pitched in and went all-out, saved it up in about 5 months in a savings CD so we couldn't spend it on a whim and undermine ourselves). Then we went to SurgeryLoans at surgeryloans.com - patients - Getting Started and applied to them. They approved us for the remaining $10,000.

What SurgeryLoans does is call around to a list of banks who do unsecured loans for people with all levels of credit until they find the one that will give you the loan at the best rate. Ours ended up being PioneerMCB Military Loans. They charged an $800 processing fee and 14% interest, ended up being $279/month for 36 months. We could have waited and saved up more, but we were about to move to Hawaii in a few months and she really wanted to be able to wear a swimsuit without feeling embarassed, so we just went for it, even with the higher interest.

Now, exacly one year later, we've used both of our income and a bonus I got for re-enlisting, and completely paid it all off.

I've heard that some of the banks that surgeryloans may refer you are probably not the best deal; if you have good credit, try and get a lon through your bank, maybe a collateral loan on your car or something; decent credit and collateral makes for way lower interest rates.

You can use the sliders at surgeryloans.com - patients - Getting Started on the left side of the web site to estimate your payment amount, interest, and length of loan. I had an Experian credit score of 738 ("Good" credit) when I applied and they gave me 14%, but that's about as good as you're really going to get with an unsecured loan, even with decent to good credit.

I'm guessing you're only looking to fund one surgery, instead of two like us? So it will probably only be $5k to $7k? Save up one or two thousand dollars and see what your bank or Surgery Loans can do to cover the rest; the latter has higher interest rates, but I would personally use them again, and in fact I plan to, in order to help fund a new chin and jawline (my face is unbalanced and asymmetrical). If you only pull a $5k or $6k loan, your payment might only be like $120 or $150/month for 36 or 48 months.

Or, you could just cut out the hookup service fee that SurgeryLoans charges and call Pioneer Loans directly at 888-448-4086 and see what they can offer you. I'll probably use them again, as I said, but be careful not to bite off more than you can chew, you don't want to incur more than you can pay each month and end up getting sent to collections and having your credit damaged; I'd keep the loan down in the $5,000 range, generally (I only took out a bigger one because I knew I was about to get a bonus at work). Use your discretion, and make sure to save up at least one to two thousand dollars before pulling a loan.

Hope this helps!

PM me if you hav any more questions about this (that goes for anyone)

[EDIT] - I'm not advertising for Surgery Loans, nor did I type the words "surgeryloans.com - Patients - Getting Started," I only copied and pasted the link from my browser... The forum's HTML coding thing must have automatically grabbed and inserted the title :/

Edited by OtherSyde

• 11 months later...

I think this has been stated before, but what I did 2 weeks ago was put $2,000 up front on a new credit card I opened; it's one of those Chase Freedom cards with the whole 0% Interest For a Year deals, and 0% on balance transfers. I didn't actually have the card at the time (I was saving that application for the perfect moment to maximize the one-year period of 0% interest), so what I did was pay with my regular credit card (about 12% interest on that one), and then once the charge appeared I immediately applied for the new 0% card deal and transferred the entire balance to the new card, which is going to ostensibly function as an 11-month 0% interest loan.

The other source I used was, on top of a little saved cash, my blessed tax return. When doing these sorts of financial dances, timing really is everything; know when your tax return is coming, when you're about to get that Christmas bonus, when you're about to sell off an extra car or other big thing you don't need, etc. and save that one-shot-deal 0%-interest-for-one-year credit card application for just the right time to yield maximum results.

For those of us (most of us I imagine) who aren't so inundated with disposable income that we have to re-purpose some of it as toilet paper or make origami birds out of hundred-dollar bills just to burn in front of crying hobos at the park, the situation is analogous to a regular-sized boxer fighting Mike Tyson: Without brute force as an option, it's all about smart moves, timing, and picking your battles. And wearing ear protectors.

• 4 years later...
A lot of elective surgeries can be done for free in UK on their NHS. I am not going to explain here how it is done but a bit of googling will give you the idea and how millions of people do it for free.

To suggest someone uses the NHS for "elective" surgeries, such as nose jobs and HTs is morally reprehensible.:mad::mad::mad:

Here's an idea.. why not work hard like the rest of us and pay for it yourself.

Or, if it's a gastric band you're looking, eat less and exercise more. No money involved.

The very idea my taxes are used to pay for boob jobs, gastric bands, gender changes, etc, while people have real needs, makes me want to vomit.:mad:

To suggest someone uses the NHS for "elective" surgeries, such as nose jobs and HTs is morally reprehensible.:mad::mad::mad:

The very idea my taxes are used to pay for boob jobs, gastric bands, gender changes, etc, while people have real needs, makes me want to vomit.:mad:

Then you need to contact your local MP and get him/her to lobby against it. Currently, British NHS is the laughing stock of the whole world with medical tourists flooding in from all over the world to get every imaginable procedure done for free. No need to shoot the messenger for delivering these news. ;)

Then you need to contact your local MP and get him/her to lobby against it. Currently, British NHS is the laughing stock of the whole world with medical tourists flooding in from all over the world to get every imaginable procedure done for free. No need to shoot the messenger for delivering these news. ;)

I'm fully aware of the situation with medical tourism.

I'd probably have more success picking up a cocktail stick with my butt cheeks, than our government or MP's actually doing anything about it....