Hair transplant take 2 – Dr William Lindsey

Albion71

Hi all.

Some of you may remember me from my unsuccessful hair transplant with Dr Melike Kulahci at Transmed in June 2010. It was documented in my blog and in this forum thread.

I am pleased to say that I recently decided to go ahead with a second hair transplant, with a different doctor. Following advice from Spex, I booked a HT with Dr William Lindsey in Virginia, USA, and had surgery on 22 December. I'm typing this in my hotel room 48 hours later.

Everyone on this forum is here because they were depressed by losing their hair. I can only say that, if you have a HT expecting to partially recover your hair, and it fails, then you can multiply that depression 100 times over.

That is why I haven't posted on here for the past few months; I've been trying to 'regroup' mentally, and decide what to do next.

I considered raising the white flag in my battle with hairloss – but decided after much deliberation to give it one more try. Enter Dr Lindsey.

I'd like to thank Spex for his advice, and of course, to the many of you on the forum who have posted about your experiences, which helped convince me that it was worth having a second shot at a HT.

However, I remain unsure of success. Transmed provided no explanation as to why the previous operation failed, although the photos on my blog prior to surgery with Dr Lindsey, 18 months after the Transmed HT, show how poor the outcome of the HT was. (Incidentally, I notice that Dr Kulahci has since left membership of the coalition.)

So I'm still in the dark as to whether the HT failed because of Transmed, or because of me and my physiology. I am confident that I've chosen an excellent surgeon in Dr Lindsey, but I do wonder if I may be fundamentally unsuited to HTs. As I've never had much luck with the classic HT preventative treatments – finasteride (used since 1998), minoxidil, nizoral – I'm a little pessimistic. We shall see.

On another note, I've posted on another part of the forum about my experience with finasteride. I have been taking the drug for 13 years, but my girlfriend persuaded me to give it up recently to see if my libido would improve. It has. So I now need to consider finasteride alternatives. Your thoughts welcome.

Thanks again to all of you who posted sympathetic and encouraging comments about my first HT. I hope you are winning your own battles with hairloss.

Hi,

I remember your posts about your HT experience with Transmed and I also notice that Doctor Kulachi is no longer a member on this website. I think one of the great things that the moderators do on the forum is to put the heat on a clinic if sub par results continually occur.

If you've tried finasteride for so many years and it wasn't effective I don't know of any other treatments that are effective.

I checked out your new blog and I really hope you get a good result this time around.

Btw I was norwood VI prior to my surgery and I've had a good result. I'm schedule for my second HT and hope to improve the density of my hairline and with a bit of luck put some grafts into the crown. You may have to undergo a further HT in the future but you should still have a good appearance if you lose further native hair.

Regards

Rod

Edited by RodG

If you don't get results from Dr. Lindsey, then for some reason you won't get results. Dr. Lindsey is TOP NOTCH in my book! Good luck Albion!

Since you have decided to quit Finasteride, the few alternatives are Avodart, which will make side effects worse, or an herbal like Saw Palmetto or Nettles Root. Some foods are claimed to block DHT, like Broccoli and tuber vegies like potatoes.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Albion,

I have been following your progress with Transmed closely, as I was considering them for my surgery as well. While I cannot say anything about them since I did not use them, it was your growth (or lack thereof) and concerns from other forum members that prevented me from rushing in with them.

As far as Dr. Lindsey, I have heard nothing but great things about him.

Again, best of luck to you, grow well, and keep us posted about the progress.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting this thread. A couple of things:

1. First of all you were an easy guy to deal with. That is half the battle on redo cases as sometimes the anxious patient is so hard to get relaxed or numbed up, that the entire day is a struggle.

2. Your wirey hair camouflages the low density you had when you showed up at my place and its really only visible when we did the "small amount of trimming in the recipient area" that you allowed. But we packed alot of hair in their and although it may take a little longer than a virgin head, I expect it to work.

3. Remember, I want you to get a good result ALMOST as much as you do.

4. Please send pics monthly and as always email if you have problems or questions.

Thanks

Dr. L

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Albion,

Thanks for creating such a robust blog with photos documenting your hair transplant experience. I truly hope you get the results you want and deserve from this hair transplant procedure. In my opinion, Dr. Lindsey does outstanding work and I trust he took good care of you to help you get the results you're looking to achieve.

Best wishes for a happy, healthy and hairy 2012,

Bill

Hi Albian,

Good luck Dr Lindsey is right up there witt the top docs, Im sure he will have nailed the best outcome for your situation.

UK R

:)2250 Strip Dr Feller

:)1900 Strip Dr Feller

-----------------------------------

2 Great HT's & Experiences

-----------------------------------

Albion,

Congratulations! Keep us updated.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi all.

Bit of a delay since the last update due to a few technical issues.

Here is my latest blog post with photos: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/Albion71/blog/1572/

Density starting to pick up in the recipient area but there appears to have been a bit of shock loss in the donor area.

Your thoughts welcome, as always.

• 2 months later...

Hi all. I've just done a six month update on my blog.

To be honest, progress has been a little disappointing, and the scar's prominence is alarming.

I've been in regular contact with Dr Lindsey and will hopefully be meeting him in the UK in October.

there is a HUGE difference from 4 months to 6 months

HUGE

even if you need a "tweak" to the scar or the hairline in another 6 months

it will be minimal work

know this

Still early days at 6 months yet your hair is already showing real signs of growth. I know it is difficult but remain patient. Pictures under normal conditions would help but looking good.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

Transmed are not very good unfortunately. Shame Dr Lindsey didn't get this patient' before' rather than 'later' and repairing their work. I am sure the scar would have been non existant if this was the case.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

Thanks for the best wishes guys. Yes, wish I hadn't used Transmed now, but hopefully my experience will be a warning to others not to use certain surgeons.

I've added some more pics under normal lighting conditions to the blog here.

And posted one below:

10628.jpg