Should I go for a HT or Not

Hi All,

I am 30 years old man from India. I started experiencing hair loss when i was 25. At that age my hair fell soon and all of a sudden it stopped. But hair fall has re occurred again since past few months.

I have attached my pics in the below mentioned link

http://www.hairtransplantnetwo...pyID=4571&WebID=1483

Kindly view them and please let me know what should i do. Should i go for a HT or not.

Also any good HT doctors in India?

Eagerly waiting for your answer.

Thanks in advance.

rays,

If you are not yet on meds such as finesteride & minoxidil you should look into it straight away. You have a chance to save the hair you have in the crown & on top with meds. Also the meds may help stabilze your hairloss prior to surgery.

I think you are a candidate for hairline restoration.

Dr. Madhu is in India & has been getting some good reviews on this forum. Although he is not yet a recommended coaltion Dr. he is being considered.

Honestly, I would strongly recommend against a Ht, I've had 2. My first in June of 08, and my second in March of 09. I was not even that bald like a Nw 2 maybe 3. My life has never been the same since I had a HT. Your taking a big gamble. While I would have loved to look like I had a full head of hair when I underwent my first Ht, I would kill to just feel normal when meeting people, or stop being known as the hat guy.

John,

I understand you're not thrilled with your hair transplant results to date however, when there's a plethora of evidence proving that hair transplants are successful for the majority of patients, I'm not sure why you'd recommend against the possibility for him. I feel for you, but it's clear that you have tunnel vision and it's blinding you from seeing the big picture.

Rays,

The search for a quality hair transplant surgeon in India has been long and hard. However, after years of searching and prescreening physicians, this community approved Dr. Madhu of Hyderabad, India to recommend in India. To learn more about his experience, technique, philosophy, and see examples of his results, view his recommendation profile.

However, given the amount of natural hair remaining, I'd strongly suggest considering getting on Propecia (finasteride) and Rogaine (minoxidil). These may help prevent the further progression of hair loss and minimize your need for subsequent hair transplant procedures. Besides, donor hair is limited and you'll want to make the best use of it to achieve the greatest appearance of fullness possible.

All the Best,

Bill

Hi,

Few days ago I had sent a mail to Dr Mahadevia. He replied back that I need 1800 grafts for my frontal area. For my crown area, he said, I would be undergoing medications.

The cost is also very high. If i go through FUE it would cost me Rs 150414(Its huge for an average Indian like me) and if I go through FUT it would cost me 62174.

Can any one suggest me what should i do? I believe 1800 grafts in my frontal area is too high.

Waiting for expert advice.

FUT is more common, and in my opinion generally produces more consistent results. 1800 sounds like a legitimate amount of grafts.

You still have a good amount of hair on top of your head, so definitely start taking meds to keep the remaining hair. Propecia can even help to thicken the crown. Getting a transplant from a qualified doctor to restore your hairline could be a good idea. Try sending these pictures to other doctors and see what the general consensus is.

JohnMalloy,

You reference how you've had two and they were obviously quite a bad experience. I'm terribly sorry to hear that, but if you wouldn't mind, would be interested to know which doctors you went to and what happened as a result of your surgeries to make you feel like you made such a big mistake. Also, if you wouldn't mind sharing how old you are and what made you go back for a second if the first one was so bad, that would be genuinely appreciated.

I personally am 10 days out of my first transplant, am 33 years old and am quite interested in your story.

All the details of JohnMalloys' experience have already been discussed in other threads. If you would like to read them you could search through his recent posts; there's little point taking this thread off track with matters that have been addressed elsewhere.

Ok Thanks. I am deleting my previous post regarding Malloy.

Hey Rays, it's your thread so there's no need to delete anything if you don't wish to, I was just pointing out the information you are asking for is posted elsewhere.

P.S. If I was you, I would do as others have suggested and start using Finasteride (Propecia/Proscar) and Minoxidil (Rogaine). I would try these both for 1 year and then reevaluate the situation.

Originally posted by Bill - Associate Publisher:

John,

I understand you're not thrilled with your hair transplant results to date however, when there's a plethora of evidence proving that hair transplants are successful for the majority of patients, I'm not sure why you'd recommend against the possibility for him. I feel for you, but it's clear that you have tunnel vision and it's blinding you from seeing the big picture.

Hey Bill,

I'm just simply giving my opinion. The guy asked if he should have a Ht or not. And my answer is a definite NO! Obviously, I have tunnel vision. My life has never been the same since having a Ht. That is why I'm suggesting that he not have one.

Also, The more I read this forum, I'm getting the impression that there are actually more repair patients on here than there are people having a ht for the first time that are happy with their results. Am I way off base with this statement? I think there are quite a few people on this forum suffering from the same "tunnel vision" that I suffer from, but one must ask-- Why so many people suffering from tunnel vision? Furthermore, posters like me are attacked with each post. So, I honestly don't believe that this forum is even hearing from half of us "tunnel visioners".

Now, with that said, you have allowed me to be totally transparent to date Bill,--Thank you for that.

Hey Bill,

I'm just simply giving my opinion. The guy asked if he should have a Ht or not. And my answer is a definite NO! Obviously, I have tunnel vision. My life has never been the same since having a Ht. That is why I'm suggesting that he not have one.

Also, The more I read this forum, I'm getting the impression that there are actually more repair patients on here than there are people having a ht for the first time that are happy with their results. Am I way off base with this statement? I think there are quite a few people on this forum suffering from the same "tunnel vision" that I suffer from, but one must ask-- Why so many people suffering from tunnel vision? Furthermore, posters like me are attacked with each post. So, I honestly don't believe that this forum is even hearing from half of us "tunnel visioners".

Now, with that said, you have allowed me to be totally transparent to date Bill,--Thank you for that.

John - I don't get the impression that the forum has "more" repair patients. Your story is interesting, but I think it's unusual compared to most posters on this forum. Having said all that, I don't think Rays should get an HT, I think his hair characteristics are not good. Meds should absolutely be considered first.

Rays, I'd say get on the meds for at least a year, then reassess.

While 1800 grafts may be fine for recreating your hairline and giving you some density, you must keep in mind that hairloss is unpredictable and can be aggressive. So keep this scenario in mind: you may have the HT, then more loss kicks in, so you have a nice hairline with nothing behind it.

Planning is key with a HT, and since you'll likely need another one, make sure you find a great doctor that you have faith in. Also, sometimes traveling can be just as cost effective. Some docs even offer funding for traveling and lodging.

As for John Malloy's outlook, it is understandable he feels the way he does. He spent a lot of time and money and feels like the results did not meet his expectations. However, there are many of us, myself included, who feel getting an HT was a fantastic decision.

There are several factors that play into having a successful result, so whatever you do, take your time, research, research, research, and best of luck.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Hi All,

I talked some other guys. And they say that my Hair Loss isnt that serious that i should consider a HT. Also I am apprehensive that what if i loose much more hair after the HT. Hair loss is really unpredictible.

So i think i should go on med for some time and then re asses.

By the way anyone from India can suggest which doc/clinic to consult for these med. A qualified doc can tell me how much med i should take and how long?

Any good trichologist/ hair doc in India?

Thanks in advance.

Hey Rays,

Most people will advise you take Finasteride (Propecia/Proscar). You should take around 1mg per day, many people including myself cut a 5mg Proscar pill into 4 giving you around 1.25mg of Finasteride per day. At the moment Finasteride is a life-long commitment - if you stop taking the drug you are likely to lose any benefit which you got from it.

Also, Minoxidil (Rogaine), you will want to take the 5% version in liquid or foam form. Again, this is currently a life-long commitment and should you stop you are likely to lose any benefit you gained.

I deeply, bitterly regret having a HT.

My sincere advise to Ray. Please research very carefully, be objective and suspicious of results photo's. Both John and I have had recent HT's with a top clinic, neither of us are pleased with our outcome's yet both of us look great in photos.

Hi,

Any one from India... Please suggest me a good trichologist. I cannot start taking these medicines by my own. I need an expert guidance.

I do have high BP and few other skin problem. So need to consult a doc.

Thanks in advance.

Rays,

There are times when a HT is not a good idea. Much of the success boils down to your expectations.

A young many who has alot of hair and starts to lose his hair, often has in his minds eye, the original low hairline. Trying to recreate and maintain a youthful hairline is difficult and will set you up for problems in the future.

It requires MANY grafts and as recession continues, you will need to continue placing grafts behind the original work.

If you recreate a mature hairline, it will not require as many grafts, but a mature hairline may not be as appealing to a young man.

Also, to get a passable density requires many grafts spaced close together. If a doctor puts 1800 grafts over a large area, it will be very thin.

Your happiness will depend on the choices you and your physician make. This assumes that everything grows and there are no "technical" problems. You really should research this and go to one of the BEST doctors.

That said, I think you can have a very good result if you get enough grafts. I would recommend 3000 to start. If you only place 1800, it will be too thin or wont cover enough area.

Hi All,

Accidentally found this website

http://www.berkowits.in/micro.html

What is this Micro Wefting? Are these artificial hair. Well the pics do look impressive.

Are these procedures safe? I am new to this world of hair loss and HT so just curious? Are these procedures safe as described by the website.

Eagerly waiting for answers.

Reagrds,

Ray