My one year photos with Dr. Wong

razor

Well here are my one year photos with Dr. Wong. I had surgery on 11/15/2010. I am also attaching my pre opt picture taken at his office.

I would appreciate any feedback. Honestly, I don't think it turned out at all. I had 4200 graphs. I don't think thats what took hold.

The density is lacking. I've tried to grow it long but I don't have the density to support any decent hairstyle.

:(

IMAG0869.jpg.2c502452f35a6c82c57840afeb9341a4.jpg

IMG_8365.jpg.8dbf486ffc531659cc263139fe2d168d.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi razor. I'm sorry to hear that you aren't happy with your final results. I just revisited your prior posts and blog to get a better idea of your situation. To be honest, the one year post-op pic you provided here is of poor quality. It's virtually impossible to tell whether your result is a failure or a success. Can you provide higher quality pictures from a variety of angles?

Judging by the photo you provided it looks like you got some pretty good growth but you keep your hair too short to get any kind density from a layering effect. Have you seen the difference between Jotronic's hair long and with a buzz cut? 4200 grafts is a lot but you were in the beginning stages of a NW6 so you had a lot of real estate to cover. You'll probably need to go for another round or two - and that should have been anticipated with your level of loss.

All the best and try to take some more high quality pics. You'll get much more feedback that way.

Edited by aaron1234

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

4200 grafts should give you good density in the first half of your head,even though the photo is very poor its obvious some areas are thick and some are not,regardless of length things should look uniform in density and yours does not.

Can you upload a few more clearer pics with better and various lighting?

Razor

I think some more photos would certainly give us a better understanding of your situation. Based on what I'm seeing here, after one complete year, I would not be happy either.

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Ok I just took some additional pics. I think you will all see that this didn't turn out. I don't know why this happened. I did everything Dr. Wong suggested. Ive been taking a liquid vitamin, reduced my stress, eating a balanced healthy diet, exercising, taking propecia.

Compare my pre opt pics located in my first comment to these. Again, I cannot grow it out because I don't have the density to support a longer hairstyle.

And for your information Aaron 1234 this is my second procedure. My first procedure was back in 1998 for 600 graphs. In addition, I don't plan on running out and spending another $15000 until I determine whether I received adequate results from this one. I don't believe I did.

The question is what should I do now????

IMAG0871.jpg.71161ef310886a0eb58dedb1a4e30501.jpg

IMAG0873.jpg.320e12b16a4dc708c765cb631bb3c248.jpg

IMAG0877.jpg.381a6d9c6c066b074e0dc888ad49268e.jpg

Edited by razor
forgot something

Ok I just took some additional pics. I think you will all see that this didn't turn out. I don't know why this happened. I did everything Dr. Wong suggested. Ive been taking a liquid vitamin, reduced my stress, eating a balanced healthy diet, exercising, taking propecia.

Compare my pre opt pics located in my first comment to these.

And for your information Aaron 1234 this is my second procedure. My first procedure was back in 1998 for 600 graphs. In addition, I don't plan on running out and spending another $15000 until I determine whether I received adequate results from this one. I don't believe I did.

The question is what should I do now????

That second set of pics is much clearer. I would definitely call Dr. Wong and tell him you're not happy. That looks much thinner than H&W's normally incredible results.

razor, it looks as if your grafts were maybe spread out over too large an area. Do you have any immediate post-op pictures so we can see placement? Was your plan to get coverage over density? I have to agree though, I wouldn't be too pleased with this result.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

So it looks like in your second pic the grafts were placed all the way back to you crown, is that right? If that's the case I think perhaps you were spread too thin. It probably would have been wiser to concentrate the grafts into the hairline/frontal third and forgo the vertex/crown. What was your plan exactly with Dr. Wong? Was a second surgery ever discussed? It would be good if Jotronic could comment here too...

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

I never had a plan to be honest. I just thought because he was so respected and always gave good results, I didn't need one.

But I think my results are bad. Im so embarrassed of it.

:(

Thx razor for the second set of pics. I agree that's it is pretty thin. It seems to me that you got decent yield but as hairthere said it was spread over such a large area so the density is not quite to your liking. I'm sorta surprised you didn't think you needed a plan. Did you not discuss a surgical strategy with Dr. Wong before the procedure? 4K grafts will not give a NW6 a final result... Ever.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Aaron you're misreading. I never said this was a final result. All Im saying is that I don't think the result is adequate based on number of graphs I received. I don't think I got 4200, maybe 2500 tops. I don't know what happened and only Dr. Wong can probably answer this.

I told him I wanted to look good and younger. I wanted to be able to comb my hair.

Do you think any reputable Dr. would want his patient to turn out like this? Come on, the man has down probably hundreds if not thousands of these. He knows what looks good. gimme a break.

The fact that Dr. Wong has kept saying all these months that "keep waiting and it will thicken" leads me to believe he is not satisfied with my result either.

At this point I would really like to get more comments from different people.

I'm SURE you received 4200 grafts! If you were charged for 4200, I'm sure Dr Wong gave you 4200. On top of that, I dont think it's real wise to accuse him of giving you a little over 2000.

As far as comment from different people, well, the people who have commented have taken time to comment and give you quality advice! No one is attaking you and I think everyone agrees your result is less than optimal for 4200 grafts! Just think you might wanna think twice before running good quality advice away!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

I think your grafts we spread over too large an area. I remember another thread where a patient had the exact same concerns as you after a procedure with dr Wong. He to did not have a plan from his perspective. Dr Wong placed the grafts over the entire balding area which may be the default procedure that DR Wong does in cases where people just say give me more hair period with no specific opinions or preferences. I may be wrong but if this is the case, much better communication was needed.

Having said all that, I still think your yield was not sufficient. This is obvious if you look at the spacing of the hairline hairs. Dr Wong would have never placed them this far apart in the hairline. No way.

I think a partial refund or free second op is in order for sure.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

I think you need to discuss the result with Dr Wong directly, preferably meet him in person, as people can be evasive on phone/email.

He is an excellent surgeon and I wouldn't doubt his ability.

I am not an expert but I from my knowledge and experience; I do not believe the number of grafts used would have given you the desired result unless you had exceptional hair characteristics.

The problem is that people see someone who is in a similar position to them from videos/pictures and think my result can turn out exactly or nearly the same as patient x.

Unfortunately it doesn't work like that with hair transplants, honestly I wish it did.

Failure of the hair transplant to grow can be caused by other factors e.g. physiological factors and sometimes may not grow with any identifiable cause.

This is why hair transplants are a risk, even in the hands of an excellent surgeon.

Even the very best surgeons will have poor results, but they have far fewer of these than anyone else and the proportion/ratio of good to bad will be very high.

I am sorry to hear this as 15000$ or whatever you paid for is not the sort of change you find down the back of the sofa.

Edited by chrisdav

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

Your post-op placement shows the grafts look closer together than what grew out, so I agree that you probably had some yield issues. I think that combined with other factors (too few grafts for too large an area) could be the culprits. Again, it would be great to hear from the clinic on this as we are just speculating.