Dr feller is proposing to sue me for my comments on the htn: My response.

jessie1

Dr Feller is proposing to sue me for comments posted on the HTN. This is my final address to this forum in compliance with legal demands placed on me.

Ladies and Gentlemen of this forum,

I am a former patient of Dr Feller, Feller Medical, New York, USA having underwent a 1000 graft FUE procedure to my hairline in September 2010.

Yesterday I was sent a letter by Dr Feller's attorney proposing legal action against me in respect of alleged libellous comments that I apparently made against Dr Feller when I shared my experience with Feller Medical some time ago.

The thread concerned turned into a free for all in which tempers flared on all sides before it was eventually closed by Bill, the managing publisher.

It is not necessary to publish the whole letter as the content is straight forward. Here is a brief quotation,

'The remarks that you published and disseminated pertaining to Dr. Feller were libelous per se.'

The letter goes onto say that if I do not ' immediately cease and desist from making such false and defamatory publications' and 'retract' the false comments that I allegedly made on this very forum, in a 'meaning and significant manner', legal action will be taken against me as a result of the damages suffered by Dr Feller.

Legal action will commence in the New York Courts and under their jurisdiction despite my residency in the UK.

I will receive no further notice from Dr Feller's legal team therefore I only get one shot to get this sorted.

I am currently in a hotel in Canada, recovering from my 4th hairline repair procedure and only have iPhone access and unable to send private messages.

I am not prepared to leave this matter unaddressed until I arrive back in the UK because by then it may be too late. I also think that a prompt response will show Dr Feller and his legal team how serious I am taking this matter.

I am not a foolish man and do not welcome law suits or relish the thought of a legal wrangle. To the contrary, I feel very frightened and vulnerable right now, yet resolute and determined to deal with this for the sake of my family and myself.

All I did was post an honest account of my experience. There was never any intention to defame Dr Feller or trash his good character.

To the best of my knowledge, I have been restrained and respectful towards Dr Feller and Spex throughout, conducting myself appropriately even when I was subjected to some outrageous defamatory attacks on my character which I had little choice but to defend.

Dr Feller accused me of criminal behaviour which I am not guilty of and I simply had to refute this order to protect and honour my own good character, something which I feel has suffered on this forum as a consequence of some of the comments made by a person of such a high standing in the medical profession and society.

Being a humble ' Average Joe', the hurtful comments have not lessened the blow and I can not help but feel violated. I am not attributing this solely to Dr Feller, who should enjoy the same freedom of expression privileges as everyone else.

I have always acted in the full belief that any comments in respect of my experience with Dr Feller were true and honest and in accorandance with the terms of service on this site. I have never received formal warnings from Bill or the other moderators about my behaviour. I have simply shared my experience, offering something back to this forum which prides itself on the free flow of information.

What follows is a brief public statement, without benefit of legal advice might I add, to comply with Dr Feller's attorney and hopefully put an end to this so I can put this chapter in my life firmly behind me.

I make this statement of my own free will and have not been coerced or subdued into making it by Dr Feller or anybody else.

I fully retract any negative statement made by myself in respect of my experience with Dr Feller. I never intended to malign his reputation or business.

I also wish to go further than this and extend this to Spex also who has a business interest with Dr Feller.

Not only should any negative statements be retracted, they should be simply removed from public view. Editing them would misrepresent my views and would draw my questions than answers, which would prolong this ordeal for Dr Feller, something which neither of us want.

I give the forum administrators my blessing to go ahead and do this.

Although I admit no legal liability by making these comments, I have carefully considered my response overnight and feel that my actions are in full compliance with what has been asked of me.

I apologise if I have offended any forum member or brought this forum into disrepute by reporting my experience.

The comments that I post regularly in support of Dr Feller's work can stand with his permission.

These comments are testament to the fact that I have never set out to deter anybody from using Dr Feller's services and that I remain impartial, objective and respectful of his talents, despite our obvious disparities.

Finally, as a means of ensuring continued compliance, and going further than what has been asked of me I feel, I would like to voluntarily deactivate my membership of this forum. This would provide Dr Feller with reassurance that he can go about his business unhindered, whilst relinquishing my fears about any future legal action from Dr Feller.

These comments are made with sincerity and meaningfulness and should not be misconstrued otherwise.

I would only respectfully ask for 3 things. I will abide by any decision taken by Bill, the managing publisher of this forum.

Firstly, to allow my website to stand. I plan to improve this and use it to report my progress on my last HT with coalition doctor,**Dr Rahal. The HT which many forum members have expressed their well wishes regardless of their views on my experience with Dr Feller.

Secondly, that due to my absence on the forum and thereby not being in a position to defend myself, that no defamatory remarks are levelled at me. I welcome free discussion but I will object to unwarranted and unjustified attacks on my character.

Finally, Bill, that you continue to help me obtain a copy of my legal disclaimer that I have been requesting from Feller Medical for 2 months, with your help. This is something that, ironically, is essential that I have in my possession for legal reasons. You have already reported back to me on this and informed me that I have a legal right to possess this and that Dr Feller has now found it.

I would also like to take my final opportunity to invite Dr Feller and Spex to respond to this statement with the added assurance that I will not respond. They will therefore have the final say. I would only respectfully ask that nothing defamatory or untrue is written.

Take care everybody and I wish you all every success in your personal endeavours in the future.

God Bless,

Jessie.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jessie, thanks for posting, and sorry to hear about this ordeal. it unfortunately confirms my impression that Dr. Feller and his staff choose to respond to their frequent criticism in a boorish, bullying and arrogant manner. although he positions himself as an "elite" surgeon, it is becoming quite clear, in my opinion, that he is a step (if not several steps) below that tier.

I'd love to see his attorney's letter. bottom line, if you told the truth, you did nothing wrong, and there is no claim against you (btw, libel is a civil, not criminal, claim). your response shows that you're a reasonable, thoughtful, guy, and for good reason you just want to move on from this. in my opinion, you're being overly kind to Dr. Feller and his staff. kudos to you for being the better person, but again, if you did just tell the truth, there's nothing wrong with that.

glad to hear that you went with Rahal for your latest. he's the man. best of luck.

You live in the uk and your due in court in new york, an extradition order is something that will not happen for something as petty as this so i would not worry not for one second,maybe dont visit the us again.you retracted you negative statements way to pussy out,this makes you look bad saying that,stick to your guns tell feller to screw himself and dont visit the us again and forget the whole thing.

Dr feller nice guy eh?and a good guy to take critisism.

Edited by mars

jessie,sorry you are in this position,but if all you did was tell the truth why not stand up and fight.just because he has a lawyer dosent make him right

I agree.

I don't know whether Jesse is telling the truth, so I'll give Feller the benefit of the doubt and assume that this disturbing story is fake until Jesse produces some proof. But even if it is true, I wouldn't be too concerned anyway because the lawyer's probably some 70-year-old no-talent hack from Long Island who makes a living on dog-bite cases and walks around town with a piss stain on the front of his pants.

Edited by Shadow of the EMpire State

I have no comment on who is right or wrong in this issue. However, as a general matter, I have questions as to how a US doc could sue a private UK citizen for libel. I have even more questions about how a suit like that could ever be successful if it did go forward. But most importantly, let's say it did go forward and result in a civil judgment against the patient, what would the doc do to collect on the judgement? Perhaps freeze the patients us financial holdings or Swiss bank accounts? It's not like the average UK Joe has assets in the US. So does the US doc then go to Europe with a judgement issued in a US state court and ask someone to collect the money? I have never been to the UK but I can't imagine that the authorities there are sitting around waiting to assist an American doctor collect money from their citizens based on a judgement from a US court.

5700 FUE in 3 procedures with Dr. Bisanga

View my patient website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1874

I have no comment on who is right or wrong in this issue. However, as a general matter, I have questions as to how a US doc could sue a private UK citizen for libel. I have even more questions about how a suit like that could ever be successful if it did go forward. But most importantly, let's say it did go forward and result in a civil judgment against the patient, what would the doc do to collect on the judgement? Perhaps freeze the patients us financial holdings or Swiss bank accounts? It's not like the average UK Joe has assets in the US. So does the US doc then go to Europe with a judgement issued in a US state court and ask someone to collect the money? I have never been to the UK but I can't imagine that the authorities there are sitting around waiting to assist an American doctor collect money from their citizens based on a judgement from a US court.

It's not even worth discussing for two reasons. First, I've yet to see any proof to substantiate the claim that Feller threatened to sue him. Second, even assuming that such horrifying tactics were used, it's all about intimidation anyway.

Jessie,

I'm sorry that you and Dr. Feller can't seem to work out any remaining concerns without lawyers getting involved. Unfortunately, there's no way for this community to know and/or understand all the details that may have led to this potential legal action. Ultimately, how you respond or handle this situation at this point is solely up to you.

This community doesn't promote lawsuits and would prefer patients and physicians to work harmoniously to discuss and resolve any concerns. Truthfully, the only ones who really win when legal action is pursued are the lawyers really and both parties are left with emptier wallets and unnecessary distress.

You are free to continue contributing to this community or you may choose not to participate. However, the publishers and moderators of this community will not go back and edit/alter/remove any of your previous posts. We'd also prefer that you do not go back and edit/remove any of your posts as we expect members to commit to their comments or not post at all.

All patients are welcome to share their genuine experience good or bad on this forum. Likewise, all physicians, recommended or not are free to reply to any comments they disagree with and present their side of the story on discussion topics.

In regards to obtaining a copy of the disclosure forms you signed, I agree that you have a right to obtain a copy. However, once lawyers become involved, I am not famililar with all the legalities behind obtaining these documents. Thus, since Dr. Feller already told me he has it, I suggest contacting him to obtain a copy.

I also strongly suggest that you and Dr. Feller have a phone conversation to discuss these issues and work out a fair and reasonable resolution to any remaining concerns that doesn't involve lawyers. Hopefully then, circumstances that led to your and Dr. Feller's differences can be put to rest and you and Dr. Feller can move onwards free from unnecessary duress.

Best wishes,

Bill

I really just don't think Feller would stoop so low as to do something this disgusting. Jessie doesn't have enough cred to make me believe him without evidence that Feller threatened a lawsuit.

In fact, I imagine that spex will debunk this story in the morning.

I do hope we will get some input from Dr. Feller and/or Spex. I do hope Jessie gets the results he is looking for with his hair, but I find it difficult to believe that Dr. Feller would pursue something like this.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

This really does all sound so overly dramatic its quite unbelievable.

Edit: Thats not to say I dont believe it, but more that I cant!

Edited by JayWalker
added comment

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/journal.asp?CopyID=10024&WebID=2832

October 2011 - 1647 FUT - Dr Dorin

January 2014 - 1580 FUT - Dr Dorin

just athought seems like alot of people believe jessie is not telling truth about being sued.why would anyone make that up .i say dr feller can put and end to all this speculation and respond to this topic

Guys,

It is extremely unfortunate that anyone should need to activate the legal system for protection from anyone else, but the realities of this world sometimes make it a requirement.

Anyone is entitled to post their opinion online. Jessie1 is not being taken to task for merely doing that.

As this case is going into litigation I cannot comment further on it.

Best Regards

Spex

What?!!! So this disgusting story is true? What a disgrace.

These people get on a plane and fly 3,500 miles to put money in this guy's pocket, and this is how they're treated?

Feller is like a fat kid who got made fun of in school and is mad at the world now.

What a sad man.

I don't know all of the facts as only Jessie and Dr. Feller do so I'm not going to judge whether or not Jessie and/or Dr. Feller should be upset about this situation. But I am shocked that some people posted threads above noting that they are shocked Dr. Feller threatened to pursue and/or is pursuing legal action against a former patient...I have been on this site for years and in reading all the posts throughout the years I have seen a few cases where he threatened legal action against a patient for libel/slander, etc. Again I am not stating that he was justified or not in doing so but simply reading all of the threads this has happened before so not sure how people are surprised about this.

I think it is unfortunate that they were not able to work this out personally and Dr. Feller had to resort to legal action. In the end I really don't know what the ultimate damages would be to Dr. Feller but that is not up to us. I do think that Jessie did the right thing in addressing the issue and to try to clear the air...I hope though that he really meant what he said in this email and is not just folding and retracting his previous statements because he is scared of legal action which I seem to think that is the case though.

I don't know all of the facts as only Jessie and Dr. Feller do so I'm not going to judge whether or not Jessie and/or Dr. Feller should be upset about this situation. But I am shocked that some people posted threads above noting that they are shocked Dr. Feller threatened to pursue and/or is pursuing legal action against a former patient...I have been on this site for years and in reading all the posts throughout the years I have seen a few cases where he threatened legal action against a patient for libel/slander, etc. Again I am not stating that he was justified or not in doing so but simply reading all of the threads this has happened before so not sure how people are surprised about this.

I suppose I thought it was hype. I never really thought Feller would do something like this. But if he is, I guess he really is a sleazy guy. Sad.

I think it is unfortunate that they were not able to work this out personally and Dr. Feller had to resort to legal action. In the end I really don't know what the ultimate damages would be to Dr. Feller but that is not up to us. I do think that Jessie did the right thing in addressing the issue and to try to clear the air...I hope though that he really meant what he said in this email and is not just folding and retracting his previous statements because he is scared of legal action which I seem to think that is the case though.
No, he totally folded in response to Feller's nauseous and boorish behavior. Edited by Shadow of the EMpire State

Guys,

Over the years, I've heard about several cases of patients suing doctors and vice versa. Regardless of who feels they're right or justified, I've never truly understood it and would prefer to see patients and physicians work out their concerns amicably by discussing their concerns like adults. But perhaps my view is too idealistic rather than realistic.

Ultimately, there's always 2 sides to every story. Jessie and Dr. Feller clearly don't agree on the facts of the case. Below is my understanding of Jessie's and Dr. Feller's two very different perspectives.

While Jessie seems to be unhappy with his experience and results, he also seems to feel that he wasn't properly informed of all of his options. This includes being advised to undergo FUT instead of FUE. Jessie also appears to feel that Dr. Feller should have offered him something in return for his dissatisfaction whether it be a free procedure, a refund, etc.

On the other hand, Dr. Feller claims that he and Spex have adequately informed Jessie of the advantages and disadvantages of both FUT and FUE and claims the consent form Jessie signed at his clinic indicates that he's chosen to undergo FUE over FUT despite Dr. Feller's original recommendation of FUT. Thus, Dr. Feller may feel that Jessie is not just simply sharing his dissatisfaction of his results, but purposely fabricating the facts of his experience online in order to obtain a free surgery and/or a refund.

While Jessie already shared his experience and concerns on our forum, he recently started a new topic and while he claimed he didn't want to discuss the details of his dissatisfaction from his last FUE procedure with Dr. Feller, he did use the topic to discuss and rehash many of the same points he already made on a previous topic. I suspect the above wouldn't be an issue for Dr. Feller if Jessie didn't recently start a new topic to rehash his concerns. See my comments on his latest topic "Two failed FUTs, then FUE, then back to FUT for upcoming HT#4 - Why oh Why?"

This community does not support lawsuits against patients nor physicians and would prefer that patients and physicians work together to resolve any concerns. At the end of the day, only the attorneys really win if legal action is pursued.

However, the purpose of this community is to research hair loss treatment options and share legitimate experiences and photos online - not to discuss the details of potential lawsuits. At this point, I still hope a lawsuit can be avoided and both Jessie and Dr. Feller can have a phone discussion in order to put all of this to rest and move forward without any further unnecessary duress.

Best wishes,

Bill

Jessie,

I am very disappointed in the way in which you have handled your case. To pack up and run is unacceptable and cowardly.

What’s more, I find it outright dishonorable that you would ask Bill to delete your posts and leave the community out in the cold. This raises so many questions as to your integrity and credibility.

The fact that Dr. Feller is suing you should not influence your actions if they are honest and genuine. Clearly is it just a frivolous attempt at silencing you... and it appears to have worked quite well!

Everything that you ever wrote about your experience with Dr. Feller seemed true, sincere and genuine. You were always respectful, tactful and eloquent, even when Dr. Feller hurled insult after insult against you. Feller even went so far as to call you a "sick man" with OCD!

You have every right to defend yourself, but you have chosen not to.

The sad part is that I have read everything that you have ever said on this forum and none of it would stand a chance as libel per se in a court of law. Not to mention the fact that you live in the UK, which any idiot can tell you that you have nothing to worry about. I think you know this as well, but you’re obviously just scared.

I have been following your case for some time now and I intended to write a sympathetic response to your truly lamentable position, but whatever sympathy I had for your evaporated upon reading your pitiful response. When you turned your back on the community, the community turned its back on you...

You have done this community a great disservice by cowering before intimidation. Further, you have given license to the very tactics employed by unethical doctors in the shady HT industry at silencing their detractors. Rest assured that your actions will embolden Dr. Feller and others like him in the future as a viable option at removing competition and detractors.

As it stands now, your doctor is suing you in court. The community has, lost all respect for you, as have I. The moderators are staying neutral, as they should be. This leaves you all alone without a leg to stand on. Not a good position to be in...

I’m sure Dr. Feller is quite pleased with the outcome.

Jessie,

I am very disappointed in the way in which you have handled your case. To pack up and run is unacceptable and cowardly.

I'm constrained to agree.

The fact that Dr. Feller is suing you should not influence your actions if they are honest and genuine. Clearly is it just a frivolous attempt at silencing you... and it appears to have worked quite well!

I understand that Feller does some good work, but the intimidation of disaffected clients is so deleterious to the stated goal of this forum that it may well be better off without him. I've spent over seven years on hair boards, and I've never seen this happen with another doctor as often as it seems to happen with Feller.

You have done this community a great disservice by cowering before intimidation. Further, you have given license to the very tactics employed by unethical doctors in the shady HT industry at silencing their detractors. Rest assured that your actions will embolden Dr. Feller and others like him in the future as a viable option at removing competition and detractors.

This is probably true.

As it stands now, your doctor is suing you in court. The community has, lost all respect for you, as have I. The moderators are staying neutral, as they should be. This leaves you all alone without a leg to stand on. Not a good position to be in...

I’m sure Dr. Feller is quite pleased with the outcome.

Seems that way.

Dr. Feller’s shameless intimidation tactics never cease to disgust me and represent the worst elements of the infamous Hair Transplant Industry, in my opinion. Once again, I am appalled at his treatment of yet another unhappy patient of his.

In my opinion, he has manipulated his way into and perverted a once reputable, credible and thriving online community designed to protect unsuspecting patients from unscrupulous doctors. How the HTN or any organization with pretenses of transparency and patient advocacy can sanction the way Feller treats his hapless former patients is beyond my comprehension.

How is it that Dr. Feller is even recommended on the HTN? At what point does he become a greater liability than asset?

These are some tough, yet fair questions that have needed to be asked for quite some time now. I do hope someone takes the time to answer them...

At this point I must voice my sincere disappointment with the HTN for condoning the hostile and litigious practices of Dr. Feller. This is not the first time he has sued a former patient, or the last I suspect. To my knowledge, he has either sued or threatened to sue at least three of his former patients within the past year alone! He is the only doctor that I know of that boasts of suing his patients... How can any of us forget this gem of a quote from Dr. Feller directed towards Jessie1 on 7.27.2011 at 6:53pm: Post #100:

I'm not going to waste my time suing for these breeches and misrepresentations. Yes, I have sued other patients in the past for defamming me online, but their claims were far more egregious than Jessie's, although their method of attack was the same. They begged for the hammer, and they got it.

But wait, I thought Dr. Feller said that he was not gong to sue Jessie1? You can find the rest as well as more (I highly recommend post #80 and #100) in the thread located here: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/161233-9-5-months-pics-1000-fue-dr-feller-not-good-so-far-10.html

Without a doubt, Dr. Feller receives more complaints than any other Coalition Doctor and I think that it’s high time for the HTN to start advocating for patients once again, instead of protecting doctor's interests.

Dr. Feller should be removed from the Coalition.

GG

The right to voice your opinion is why we are all here, and why we read this forum, to get honest experiences and views from real patients.

Legal action against people that level criticism against you is absolutely ridiculous.

Hardly action that will attract business, I cant believe what Im reading on this thread.

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/journal.asp?CopyID=10024&WebID=2832

October 2011 - 1647 FUT - Dr Dorin

January 2014 - 1580 FUT - Dr Dorin

Dr. Feller should be removed from the Coalition.

I'm not going to call for removal because he does good work for some patients, but something definitely has to be done about these threats of legal action. And this isn't the first time, either. This pattern of behavior cannot continue. It'll wreck the forum and eventually turn it into a ghost town like hairlosshelp. HLH used to be a great forum, but it's a shambles now because one person ran amok and everyone left.