Before Surgery:

This patient had a prior surgery at another clinic, which left him with:

• A pluggy hairline
  • An empty vertex and crown
  • Rows of egregiously placed plugs in an empty crown
  • Linear scars
  • Severely depleted donor area

Unhappy with these results, he resorted to wearing a hairpiece for years to cover these problems. He presented to Dr. Umar requesting global coverage using non-head hair.

Surgery:

Surgeries were performed in 2 phases:

Phase I: 9000 grafts using head, nape, beard and chest derived grafts.

Phase II: 5000 grafts using mainly beard and chest hair. A few chest grafts were used to refine his eyebrows as well.

Phase I Surgery Results:

Images and video are from 10 months post-first operation. Results from second surgery will be posted soon.

1.jpg.6754bb2c7d7b5a5e53630acc728f0678.jpg

2.jpg.2b71417ab344e821d8d1f355927a1e04.jpg

3.jpg.90e398797538ec4d366e52f10bba095c.jpg

4.jpg.733ada35dd6adecdc0ee8282a01f5938.jpg

5.jpg.8de43fd98aefe1f9f3413f4e2ceea78a.jpg

6.jpg.2d0178103172bab7930eac5bc88492a2.jpg

7.jpg.584e11e35c7f67e045635667affee94c.jpg

8.jpg.4eabb0e54c5aec47b9908779ecf71127.jpg

9.jpg.12caeeebce87b6b7d1171b08b76dd18b.jpg

10.jpg.847acb2686a6238e4d3157bd777d7ae6.jpg

11.jpg.a98475ebcbf3b69a14b3c37295433017.jpg

12.jpg.24918756b1db442dcae3ca93dffa46cf.jpg

13.jpg.325c11aa7c7bd0f548dfd6dd818dab3c.jpg

14.jpg.85720e24653e7efc537c4c3071dafd11.jpg

15.jpg.5ca0d4098c069e8294cecd841365d682.jpg

16.jpg.2f0e62f249aeddcb39d7c1e0577009e6.jpg

17.jpg.530dc641ad260825aabaac415fad7106.jpg

18.jpg.1c25038ab362f1002b39f182be2e191c.jpg

Edited by Dr Umar

cant wait to see results from second surgery.... the good thing about this patient is that his skin is dark and gives a better illusion of coverage.. if he were lighter in skin texture he would be a lot more bald then he looks but great job ...

Can't wait to see results of surgery #2. It seems like there is hope for people who don't have enough donor, but have body hair. Phase 1 is a decent result, I do think he can have more density, but it is still quite impressive considering the area that was to be covered. Hairline does look decent, but again, I think a little more density in the center. Was that one of the areas addressed in the second surgery?

The more I think about this, the more I realize that body hair might not be a bad idea when it comes to filling in thinning areas around the crown/vertex and midscalp. I mean if you lack density in those areas, I am sure body hair can substantially make a difference and still seem natural. For those that lack density, this may be something to consider vs using toppik/dermatch/couvre rest of your life to fill in those small gaps.

Great work Dr. Umar.

• Moderators

This is the type of HT I need. This definitely gives me some hope. Thanks for posting this. Can we get any ideas of cost involved in these types of HTs?

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

incredible!

i'm sure anyone coming into their hairloss research clean would consider this a hoax and quite impossible, but here we are, in a 'good result' case the outcome can be really good.

So, in theory, i can take all my body hair (including butt hair?) and stick it on my head, science fiction it seems but possible in the right cases?

I gather, doing this type of transplant is still taboo in the hairloss community, am i right?

Best of luck to the chap that got the work done, and well done to the team involved, i hope the hair holds out and grows well.

One more thing, 9000 grafts? how many hairs?

Regards,

57mph

Now I will admit that BHT is not the first route I would take in restoring my hair. But I am not a NW7 either. It clearly worked for this fellow even if the hairs are a bit kinky and wiry. He might not have limitless styling options but he now has hair. His darker skin tones certainly help with the illusion of density. I am sure with some concealers he looks like a million bucks. I am happy to see Dr. Umar put out results like this even though I still consider BHT a last resort when it comes to hair transplantation. Keep posting Dr. Umar!

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

incredible!

i'm sure anyone coming into their hairloss research clean would consider this a hoax and quite impossible, but here we are, in a 'good result' case the outcome can be really good.

It's only a hoax to the uninformed. The proof is in the video. There is nothing to keep hair from growing on ones scalp, provided it is removed safely and transplanted properly

So, in theory, i can take all my body hair (including butt hair?) and stick it on my head, science fiction it seems but possible in the right cases?

It is science fiction if it has never been done before. Now that it is being performed regularly it is reality.

I gather, doing this type of transplant is still taboo in the hairloss community, am i right?

Taboo by a community not involved in performing this type of surgery.

The way I am seeing this as is:

If you have enough body hair that you don't want, why not add it in as filler on the scalp? I don't think it looks too unnatural. I think it depends on the type of body hair you have too. If it is thin and straight, or curly, or pube like. That may play a factor on the outcome and I guess not everyone will be a candidate for it either. In these results it seems that body hair/beard hair does grow longer on the scalp then it probably does on the chest.

As a technology available today, body hair, may be the route to take if people want to get OFF finasteride and other medications and everything else. Say if you lack some density, and you are taking finasteride and rogaine and using toppik for those areas. Why not just fill it up with your own hair, be it body hair, to recover lost density?

It's not a bad idea, I mean if cloning or Replicel does not come up with something by 2016, then this maybe something that might get bigger and bigger. Right now, it seems Dr. Umar does master this as I have never seen such body hair or beard hair transplantations done with success. It is starting to look more and more promising.

For those guys with higher norwoods, this may be a dream come true.

wylie did you get bht from dr umar?

personally id rather be slick bald rather than have body hair on my head it looks awful even if the density is good,the difference between scalp hair and body hair is obvious,in extreme repair cases when the only way is up sure bht is good then.

Mars, I think it's more apparent to us because we know it is body hair. But i doubt the casual person on the street walking by this patient would say "hey, he has chest hair on his head.". The texture is certainly different but I really think Dr. Umar approaches this last resort in an artful manner.

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

Ya only the likes of you and me would know its body hair on a persons head and your random person on the street would not i get that but what they would know is what they see and that is his hair is not natural something is up but they cant figure it out,after all the majority of non hairloss sufferers still think hair plugs is a ht never mind fue and completly forget about bht.

The video is crap for this guy,i think anyone doing the video thing should take a leaf out of h&w book,the lightinhg in h&w videos is natural light all angles no tricks,umars videos are a long way off this imo.If you pause the video at 2:22 you will see the before and after pics side by side,bright lighting in before pic and dark lighting in after,the oldest trick in the book and its highly deceptive!!

Edited by mars

I'm with you on the inconsistent lighting in the video. However, I'd still take this look over a clean NW7.

Surgery Phase I: Body hair to head transplant, 9000 grafts. Results previously posted.

Surgery Phase II: Body hair to head transplant, 5000 grafts. Results shown are one year after this second procedure. Photos provided by the patient via email.

phase2-1.jpg.d3170cb8d0e2e6508b6e6510c49f4f12.jpg

phase2-2.jpg.cc8dfd3afaa3448be12d09bbfd6694b7.jpg

phase2-3.jpg.88b30e25dee2ca56a3c78cb195669839.jpg

phase2-4.jpg.a3081b171b5097c53d248e75b5a4f61a.jpg

phase2-5.jpg.3431a5bc047cfa2833e99e86c3e42c99.jpg

phase2-6.jpg.8f16ae3c6f5b0073a8669d4a499cfdf2.jpg

phase2-7.jpg.adbd8587987e5b703a5461fef87ea9a1.jpg

phase2-8.jpg.6af1c787c16a189817ad435dcf472c70.jpg

phase2-9.jpg.61f77c3f674b1656e91395368f1ca3bc.jpg

phase2-10.jpg.e4adcf1f787444eda1fe8c8ab14740bc.jpg

phase2-11.jpg.6d53fa506227057eb8b325300e8d53df.jpg

Edited by Dr Umar

Dr. Umar,

This is a mighty impressive turn around for a NW7. Do you happen to have immediate post-op pics from both surgeries?

Thanks!

Wow. Not bad, not bad at all. These pictures give a better look at the results. Various lighting conditions and one pic in the pool. The hair looks good. It's a major change. Very promising, especially for those with limited donor supply. Great work Dr. Umar.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree the lighting is horrible in the after pic.

As for body hair I would reserve that for the crown area. The Beard hair should be placed in the mid scalp and the crown area. With these type of surgeries there is finally hope to restore a full head of hair. The only problem now is the pricing. 9000 grafts = $45,000.

I hope this restoration robotics system can bring the prices for FUE down.

This goes to everyone who says that Beard hair mainly do not grow or yield well. Top clinics in this network should really admit that. Great results Dr. Umar. I actually decided to FUE my scar with Beard hair because of the video I watched from you and the works I viewed of Dr. Bisanga as well. I think you changed the life of that guy.

Edited by HARIRI

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

Honestly, if 45000$ is the cost for results like that, i would rather shave my hair off and have no hair.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

Spex buddy,

please don't take it personal. Just because Dr. Feller or most of recommended doctors in the network cant do it that doesn't mean its crap. Even scalp FUE some of it doesn't grow as well. I have seen many cases of big recommended surgeons where grafts didn't grow but then boom they disappeared from the forum.

With all my respect buddy. We have to admit that beard hair works well too at least for a scar as its robust and thicker. I agree with you that scalp hair is better but beard hair not that bad. I have seen a case in the forum of a guy (DREW35) who done poor job with Dr. Wong been repaired by Dr. Umar using body hair. We should give credit to Dr. Umar and Bisanga for mastering a technique that saved many victim patients with less donor.

However in my situation, I wanted to use beard hair for the scar to save my good quality scalp hair for midscalp to have same characteristics with other grafts. I decided to turn away from scar revision because of the big risk of stretching back so it would be a loss of money and you never know it could get bigger. So my only solution is to FUE it and fingers crossed.

So chill up buddy. I didn't mean anybody. Just a general opinion. You are a great guy with good knowledge better than mine. Take care.

Edited by HARIRI

My Hair Treatments:

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

Beard FUE into scar is risky as scar revision. How about scar revision then? It so risky too and had many failed attempts so why do they perform it??? I dont think so its the reason why they dont perform beard hair. I was told its really difficult to do and twice harder than scalp hair and need extreme talent. I do agree with you about Body hair poor yielding but beard hair is a different story.

Even Dr. Feller himself didnt recommend scar revision and prefered FUE into scar over it as its very risky, I have sent you the link. That post on the forum made me doubt a lot about scar revision although i know it would be much cheaper for me to perform. Im very afraid if it stretches back again. Dr. Rahal tried to peform tri closure after my repair, but the original scar i had stretched back on the sides to 1cm while in the middle reduced from 1cm to 0.7cm. However the fresh scar created on the sides by Rahal and pencil thin. That I admit.

Thanks anyways and I wish I would be from the lucky ones. However EJ beard grafts into his huge scars because of bad strips from a big doctor grew well for only 4 months post op.

God bless...

Edited by HARIRI

My Hair Treatments:

beard hair is as good as scalp hair imo for scarring repair,anything else is just stupid,ive seen umar use arm chest abdomen pubic armpit and leg hair all of these are a big NO not just because of poor yield or cost but because well its body hair or your head simple as that.