Dr. Paul & Dr. Ron Shapiro's Result

Question...I noticed the different shades of BLUE (background)...were both taken without flash because there is a clear difference in the shade of blue.

Question...I noticed the different shades of BLUE (background)...were both taken without flash because there is a clear difference in the shade of blue.

I don't want to answer for SMG but I have had photos taken by Matt for several years now ( tracking my hair loss as I only need a small hairline procedure) and when I had them taken this past August they had painted his office a different shade of blue.

Montreal,

All members are welcome to share their honest opinions and experiences here. However, I think this community is getting tired of you hijacking threads and spreading misinformation. I know I am.

If you wish to continue participating in this community then you will abide by our Terms of Service.

Consider this a warning.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Hi Capelli,

Thank you for your question....

We actually use flash in all our photos. I've address this topic before because there is an ongoing concern regarding use of flash. We feel when pictures are taken, consistency matters the most. Same room, same distance, same angles, and same camera used for every picture. We use flash in pre-op pictures as well as intra op and post op. The use of flash is favorable for some angles but not all. The top down shot generally shows through to the skin much more when flash is used. We always take this shot and show in our presentations along with front and sides. We have no control of just how much light enters camera when each picture is taken. None of us are professional photograghers. If you look through all the pictures of our patients, you'll see a slightly different shade background. We don't use flash to deceive. There are two different rooms at our clinic to take photos. One of Matt's office wall was painted the same shade of blue as our other room for consistency.

Here are pictures of Aaron1234 put side by side of his before and after. You can see the before picture has a darker shade. It depends on the time of day and how cloudy or sunny it is outside. (Hope you don't mind me using your pictures as an example here Aaron)

Slide1.jpg

Slide2.jpg

These two pictures were taken on the same day - the immediate post op background is a little darker. All we try to do is take as clear a picture as possible - everytime.

Slide3.jpg

Edited by Janna

No prob Janna. I've actually never seen the wet before-pic you posted at the bottom. It's a good shot! I sorta want it! ;)

I remember the 1 yr before and after pics Janna posted here were taken in different rooms and at different times of the day. The before pics were taken very early in the morning on surgery day in a room next to Matt's office and the 1 yr after pics were taken by Matt in his office during the afternoon.

If you haven't been to SMG you must realize how many windows are in each room - the sunlight plays a big role in these pics. Also, like Janna said, they don't have one photographer - it's just whoever is free at the moment. I believe I've had Matt, Dal, and Janna all take pictures at one point or another.

I suppose they could take all the B&A's in the bathroom with the door shut to avoid the sun issue - if of course the patient doesn't feel too awkward sitting on a toilet for the photoshoot! Haha... :)

P.S. Wow, this patient looks great. What a turn around from where he started! Again, I'm loving the difference the second procedure made.

Edited by aaron1234

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

I think it is important to be consistent with before and after photos. The one thing I like say about Hasson and Wong photos is that it is always in front of that famous blue back drop and always with NO FLASH which is key. This is the only way to take photos as consistency is key to seeing true results. I am surprised that there are different photo areas at SMG as this could hinder the true results. I am sure they do good work but in regards to this forum which we only have pictures, I feel it is quite important to be consistent with your photos when showing results.

Hi Aaron,

I will send you those photos later today when I get a chance.

Thanks Mick! Always apprecite your support of SMG work. Regards to you all in Manchester.

Unless you have a windowless room, it is going to be har to get perfectly consistant pictures. Video is the way to go IMO.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

The one thing I like say about Hasson and Wong photos is that it is always in front of that famous blue back drop and always with NO FLASH which is key.

The photos I take without flash show much more density that with flash. I think the flash shows thinning areas clearer than non flash.

While I'm a big fan of H+W one thing that really got me was how much hair Joetronic DID NOT HAVE in his crown when I saw the photos of his last procedure.

All the photos of Joe I had seen prior showed a pretty full crown area while the photos taken before his last surgery show that was cleary not the case.

I'm not saying H+W or Joe are trying to pull anything I'm just saying that photos ( with or without flash) will never tell the true story with thinning hair.

As all the discliamers read, you will never have the hair you had before you lost it but the right DR can do an incredible job creating an illusion of thick hair

profoam is correct: flash makes the thinning look far worse. Another HT worst enemy is flourescent lighting.

Imo SMG does a good enough job of documenting their work. They are an HT clinic after all, not a photo studio.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

• 2 weeks later...