19 year old with the hairline of a balding 40 year old...

Hello everyone, my story began when I was 15 or 16 years old, I had thick curly hair, I loved twisting it etc, and one day I tore a small patch out. I thought it was no big deal, and that it would grow back. The reality of it was that things only got worse. I progressively started losing more hair on the temples and on the top, at first I thought it was '''funny'', I was in hardcore denial since no one so young can be balding, right ? I thought it was something temporary, maybe a reaction from a shampoo and that it would reverse.

I was completely wrong, things only started getting worse, day bay day, month by month, year by year. It made me very depressed at times, but I kinda tried ignoring it with even more denial, and trying to bury the depression. Now I am 19 years old, my hairline is very very weak, and now I am fully grounded in reality, knowing that this is genetic balding trying to ''devour'' me. The depression still comes up at random times even though I try not to think about it though which affects my personal life. Anyway as I was saying, I am ready to tackle the problem with medical solutions, however it seems that the only thing which could really help me ( Propecia ) usually comes with nasty side effects which seem not to be worth the risk. I want to ask you if it really is that dangerous to use and if Rogaine alone could do something about it (bare in mind I am quite young and I think I read here somewhere that these products ).

Anyway your help, recommendations etc would be very appreciated.

get on finasteride, go to a dermatologist for that prescription and a check up of the scalp, shave your head and see if you can live with the look and if it suits you, if not around 25 you can pursue a transplant.

There are no miracle cures, there is no overnight success, this is long term planning, expense and consideration to take into account and you will never, even with a good transplant, look like a teenager again.

You're growing up, part of manhood is accepting change, doesn't mean you have to live with baldness without a fight but you just might find out you're man enough to shrug it off, so shave it down and take a look, check back at 25 if you are self conscious, you'll have a sound grasp on whether or not finasteride has stabilized your hairloss by that time and how much hair you stand to lose pattern wise.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

DoubleHelix,

Speegs has offered you the best advice that anyone can give at this point. At your age your best course of action is to medically stabilize your hair loss with Rogaine (minoxidil) and Propecia (finasteride).

Definitely consult with a dermatologist. If cost is a concern, I suggest requesting a prescription for generic Proscar (5mg finasteride) and quarting the pill. Many of us do this as the cost savings are substantial over Propecia. Sexual side effect of finasteride are quite rare and should subside upon discontinuation of the drug.

Best of luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

DoubleHelix,

Before starting any new meds, be sure you get physically examined by a reputable experienced doctor.

Whenever hairloss starts that young, you want to be sure that your type of hairloss is in fact MPB, and not something else.

Only a licensed physician can provide a formal diagnosis.

I wish you the best in getting some resolve.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Doublehelix,

I am very sorry about your hair loss. I know from experience how a receeding hairline just slaughters your self esteem and confidence. My hair loss began to be really noticeable at your age. I couldn't believe it--only a year or two before that my hair was thick and curly. As it must have been for you, my hair when I was young was a major part of my identity--it helped me stand out in the crowed and girls loved it. Now, I suffer from a large forehead and thinning hair. My advice to you would be to go on the propecia. I know the potential side effects may sound scary, but like it or not, propecia is your only hope at this point. I'm 23 and I just started this past year. I'm sensitive to most meds, but I have not experienced any negative effects. I only wished I had started it when I was your age, but at that point I had fooled myself into believing that herbs, vitamins, and sal palmetto would bring my head back to its glory days. Although they improved the quality of my existing hair, those products didn't do anything to stop the loss or regrow my receeding hairline.

I wish you the best of luck. My advice would be to surround yourself with people who support and love who you are--family,friends and a romantic partner (or partners).

Hopefully the scientists will find a cure for this damn disease before we turn 30.

It's not disease gentlemen, you are still young healthy men, you have a cosmetically modifying dermatological setback that is as much about state of mind and social stigma as anything. You can overcome yourself, you can do nothing about societal misgivings of vanity so don't sweat it.

Hair or no hair you are a man, a young one, and your charm and worth are not follicular.

I understand hurtful teasing and being subconscious, nothing wrong with pondering what to do, but don't dwell on it and let it rule your life.

Statistically your unbalding peers will catch up, and your priorities will change.

If someone ever demeans one for their lack of hair then may the prejudice nitwit look upon their own reflection in the sheen of the bald head that they mock and be repulsed.

Edited by Speegs

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

Some very good insight by speegs:rolleyes:

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY