Thinning crown

Hi Guys,

I am new to this forum but have been an on/off reader for a while.

I am 27 years, male and I am experiencing a thinning/bald crown.

It is about the size of a base of a coke can, and I also have thin hair at the top of head, but I am not receding.

I also have thin hair all around my scalp and I believe its my genes since my mother also has very thin hair.

I don't use any drugs, just shampoo with a 2% Nizoral once a week.

I am considering a hair transplant, what do you guys suggest?

Thanks

Welcome a board nitrous. Firstly, posting pics would get you better feedback here. But just based on what you are saying - I would research this site for awhile, develop a discerning eye, get to know the top docs and consult with a handful of them. If it's typical MPB you're experiencing then I'd get on finasteride for at least a year before embarking on a transplant just to see what kind of benefit you'd get from it.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Nitrous

Welcome to the board..I totally agree with Aaron. Do your homework,you've certainly gotten off to a great start by using this site! I would echo what Aaron said about getting on finasteride..also I would strongly suggest Rogaine. Best of luck to you!

Please post some pictures for better responses on your situation.

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Perfect candidate for Fin. Hold off on transplants for now.

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

I also don't want to engage myself into any sort of drugs to be honest.

Maybe I am a coward, but the side effects outweigh the benefits, now I know that not everyone has side effects taking Fin, I just dont want to be the one with side effects.

Millions of men take Fin without any side effects. If your not going to at least try it out that crown spot is going to get bigger and bigger. That's the side effect of not using Fin. If you're against side effects then Rogaine might not be for you either as it can irritate your scalp, effect your blood pressure, etc.

Hi bud

Try meds first , if you suffer sides , come off them and you will quickly return to normal , but at least you will know for definate .

You are a perfect candidate for meds , as other posters have said , I had a stunning result on meds first , i started in 2006 , then after a year i had 2100 crown grafts with Dr Feller , but i was a lot worse off then you .

You don't need to have a ht , and to be honest bud it's a life long commitment .

I have included an older post of mine from 2008 which shows the results you can have by just using finasteride or propecia , i now cut 5mgs of finasteride into six parts now and take 0.8mgs daily .

I have suffered no side effects .

Please take a look and consider meds to help your situation .

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/155471-dr-feller-uk-patient-richie48-then-now-two-year-trip-meds-9-month-hair-transplant.html

many thanks

richie

2100 crown grafts

Dr Feller

nov 2007

• 2 months later...

Update... started using Rogaine and noticed no improvement what so ever to be honest.

Stopped using Rogaine for the past 2 weeks and I am now considering Proscar.

what do you guys suggest?

My parents also mention how my scalp is always red, but it is not itchy, what could be causing that?

Thanks

I would suggest getting back on rogaine. You have to use it longer than 2 months to see any benefits. Also, like we said, I would strongly consider getting on finasteride. It appears as if your ready to take that step. Bottom line is the best protection for current and future hair loss is rogaine, finasteride, and nizoral and you have mentioned all 3 so you are on the right track! You just have to give it longer.

Newhairplease!!

My Hairloss Website

I would suggest getting back on rogaine. You have to use it longer than 2 months to see any benefits. Also, like we said, I would strongly consider getting on finasteride. It appears as if your ready to take that step. Bottom line is the best protection for current and future hair loss is rogaine, finasteride, and nizoral and you have mentioned all 3 so you are on the right track! You just have to give it longer.

Thanks mate, to get on Fin, I have to get a prescription for my doctors and what is the recommended brand? I have heard its proscar?

If yes, what is the required dosage for Fin?

Cheers

Yes you have to have a prescription. It is Proscar however you can get it in a generic form. Proscar comes in 5 mg form. The recommended dose for hair loss is 1 mg a day so most people cut the pills in 1/4 form to give them 1.25 mg a day. I just cut in half because it's a little easier. Make sure you buy a reputable generic company like TEVA. Or you can always buy the name brand.

Newhairplease!!

My Hairloss Website

In order to see if Rogaine is working stay on it for at least 4 months non stop before you go off it. It may have shed hairs that were on their way out and new thicker hairs may have been starting to grow in their place. Try it out first and then add propecia when you have been using rogaine for 4-6 months because propecia can cause a slight shed too and it recharges those hairs with thicker ones. Regarding Propecia dosage and prescription, newhairplease answered it well.

You can also check out biotin & msm to speed up hair growth. I use supplements, propecia, rogaine, and they have really restored my crown to a great degree. Check out my before and after and take a look at my crown because that is all the result of medication. Take a look at what I am taking and how long I have been taking it. I have been using everything consistently, especially, after my transplant around the hairline.

This is my crown on 8/30/2010:

WET%20CROWN.jpg

Below is my crown on 12/06/2011:

IMG_0700.jpg

Edited by Sean

Another thing to remember is Nizoral can cause a minor shed when you first start using it, rogaine can, and so can propecia. So, if you see a shed don't be scared. These things take at least 4-6 months to show the effects and propecia you really have to take it for a whole year to see if it is doing much for you. I would definitely use the big three right now if I were you and use them consistently for a whole year to see how things are in the end. You can't really miss a day and you have to be committed with the propecia and rogaine. Nizoral at once a week should be fine. But throughout the other days of the week try a good thickening shampoo out, like Nioxin system cleanser 1. Interchange that shampoo out with your other everyday shampoo so your hairs do not get used to shampoos. If in the end, all you are losing is your crown and you don't have history of frontal hairloss, then a hair restoration procedure wont hurt. Only then you should consider it if all else fails and if you are a candidate for it later. Good Luck.

Sean

The meds did wonders for your crown! Thats amazing!

NHP, Thanks man, I am a firm believer the meds did that magic and if I stop the crown will go, lol. What's funny is I went to my friends house for a gathering to watch a sports event and this friend used to pick on me for my crown even though he is thinning on his crown too (could have been Karma lol). I hadn't seen him for a couple of months though. I noticed he kept looking at my crown during the boxing fight and later on asked me so you got a transplant on the crown huh? I am like what are you talking about. The funny thing was he didn't even detect my FUE transplant in the front which is where I really had a transplant, lol. He went as far as to checking the back of my head by swearing I had a transplant and he was going to find "a scar" or "a line" lol. He was looking for a linear scar basically. After 2-3 minutes he couldn't find it he asked me what the hell did I do. I told him about what I am taking, and now he is taking all that stuff religiously. That was like 2 weeks ago. I am glad he didn't detect the transplant because then he would have harassed me about it in front of everyone.

Nitrous, the medications really do work. You are younger than me, you are 27 and I am 29. I think since you are young you have a great chance to restore those hairs and to recharge them. You just have to do this consistently and see your before and after pics about a year apart. Don't give up on this cuz I think you got a good shot at this. You may respond really well.