Get a great hairstyle after your HT!

gottitgood4me

All to often I see men who have spent thousands and thousands on a hair transplant only to be suffering from a very unflattering hairstyle. Please notice the first picture. This gentleman had, what appears to be a pretty good hair transplant. Look at his hairstyle, though. This only adds years to his age in my opinion. The way he has his hair parted adds to the recession of hair on that side of his head. 5b32cfc3ece1b_images(2)a.jpg.5b549074324c610d22cc691761ff29c6.jpg

I have added some haircuts that would likely be very good for post-op HT patients. Notice the hair is a bit shorter on the sides. It is long enough to cover a small scar.beckham-short-back-and-sides-300x300.jpg.e468c887bf4fa9f9b4a0475a75eaf0a3.jpg By having the hair shorter on the sides and longer on the top, it adds a illusion to density on the top. It is also very stylish to have a bit of a "messy" look on the top. It is more easy to cover thin areas if we mess it up a little. Do not go overboard with any hair products that look greasy. A very light pomade, or thickening gel is all we need. Make sure you buy a quality brand like American Crew. I have used cheap, and expensive. Expensive is the way to go! Always get the good stuff.

professionalcut-214x300.jpg.1546cd5736a7b3a5e5510b59c0aabba5.jpg This is a great hairstyle for the professional looking businessman. He has a very stylish cut that does not look like something his Grandfather would have, but he still looks like he can be taken seriously in a business environment.

guys, dont be afraid to go to a salon for a professional coloring job. When you do it at home, you usually only get one color in your hair and it looks like it has been colored. When a pro does it, they can give you much better mix of colors of highlights. Lighter colored hair will almost always take years off of your age. It will generally blend better with your scalp and your hair will look thicker. 5b32cfc434367_images(4).jpg.a60b362b735dc73dbb1edcd9369ba529.jpg

Bottom line guys. You spent thousands to get your hair back. Spend a little more for professional advice and styling with a salon that can help you look your best!!!

Lets see some before and afters of you guys that take the challenge and get it done!!

hi whats this thickening gel i have a zero on sides now im due fue next week so fingers crossed

Thickening gel is just what is sounds like. If you keep a zero on the sides and a six or seven guard on the top, you might like to use this product. I used to use the brand American Crew. There are different ways to get the desired results with it. Always remember, A LITTLE goes a LONG way. Sometimes it is best to put a little in your hand, rub it in your hair, and light warm, not hot, blow dry a little bit. Wet, or greasy hair will generally always look thinner. The hair dryer will add some density to the look. If you dont use the recommended brand, just make sure you use a QUALITY one. You will probably need to go to a salon to get it.

Best of luck with your FUE, Im planning on a 3000 strip session in Nov. or Dec.

gotitgood, I agree that HT patients should go see a good stylist and that it would make a big difference in their appearance. Some guys unfortunately don't get enough coverage to style their hair any which way and they opt for the combover to compensate for this. It's a terrible look and one I have been referring to as the "anchorman" cut. (There's definitely a niche for some hairdresser to fill in HT cutting.)

When it comes to hair products, my favorite has been American Crew Fiber. It's ridiculously priced, but I keep buying the cheaper stuff and it doesn't come close. Another really good one is SAMY thickening paste.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Thanks for the comment Hairthere. Yes, you are right. Personally, I dont want to be the guy with the "anchorman" cut. I would rather shave it. Until today, I didnt really think of the importance of education with hairstyles, hair coloring, and styling products after a HT to help get the best results we can. It always kind of seemed common sense to me, but I hope I can help make some changes with guys that had not previously thought of some of the things I suggested. I would like to hear that someone is even happier with their results as a result of taking some additional steps with styling, and color, after the surgery and growth to have a even better looking head of hair.

I had not heard of SAMY but I will keep it on my list of products to try after my next HT.

Great post and I agree completely. I have been working with the guy that styles my hair from the start of my HT. Now that I am growing in, he has styled the hair to grow with the transplanted hair. I have a good color base that he has used and as soon as it gets some length I will get some highlights and a whole new style. Makes sense to me to go for it after doing everything it takes to get new hair. Working with a really good stylist at a higher end salon makes a big difference in my opinion.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

I've always thought it would be advantageous for hair restoration surgeons to recommend a set of knowledgeable stylists who've worked with hair transplant patients.These stylists should understand some of the limitations of the post-operative result (density, follicular unit transplantation scar, etc.) and also possess the skill to maximize appearance with a modern, flattering cut.

Thanks for sharing!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

gotitgood, great post! I've always thought of this, I buzz my hair because my hairline is mess and I'm a diffuse thinner nw6. But I see even with the best coverage with high no of grafts, I couldn't help myself saying "Man, I'm never gonna use my hair like that !"

hi gotitgood

I agree bud , after my ht I messed about with all sorts of scruffy styles and colours which made the best out of what I've got , the idea was to made it look like I'd just got out of bed hahahaha .

Guys should experiment more with colours and styling products , and try enjoy your new found hair !

I do understand what hairthere is aying though some guys , after a ht have little choice and I'm also aware of some ht's been designed around a specific style and the specific placement of grafts to suit this , also maybe sometimes the older guys may just want the understated side part or "anchorman" do , so as not to draw attension to there new folicals .

Either way I've included two of my last older posts to show what I've been doing with my own barnet over the last four years .

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/136000-dr-feller-uk-patient-richie48-2100-crown-grafts-15-month-update-pics-very-slowly-getting-better-better.html

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/138494-brand-new-dr-feller-uk-patient-richie48-2100-crown-grafts-19-month-update-pics-baldy-moody-emo-grungy-surfer.html

I' in the process of taking new pics and will document my 2nd trip to Dr Feller for my front hair line to be done .

Thanks

richie

2100 crown grafts

Dr Feller

nov 2007

I had not heard of SAMY but I will keep it on my list of products to try after my next HT.

I love that stuff! i had been using american crew forever one day picked some of this up and have been using it ever since. Super cheap lasts forever and you can find it at every store. I think the tube I have right now I paid $6 for and it has lasted over 6 months. Cant beat that!

Although i agree that after spending time and money on a transplant one should get the best hair style possible, however transplants do not automtically give you good hair days and do not give you catwalk model hair, some guys hair will fall into place/style naturally and unfortunately regardless of how sucesfull the transplant was some guys hair styles will look average. Its important to consider this so your expectations are realisitic.

Couldn’t agree more!

It doesn’t stop with bad hairstyles either. Some guys will drop 10-15k on a hair transplant, only to use cheap/low quality shampoo, conditioner and styling products!

As far as styling products go, I use either Material, by Texture ($23) or I'll alternate with Rough Luxury Molding Wax, by Oribe ($34). Both products aren't cheap, but they're good and they each last two or three months.

As if using cheap hair care and styling products wasn’t bad enough, I see a lot of guys who still go to Joe the Barber for the same tired, old haircuts. That might be fine if you’re in the military or work in some uptight corporate firm, but if you’re younger, you should go to a hairstylist. Be sure to bring pics from magazines or online to show to your hair stylist so they know exactly what you're going for. You don't want any miscommunication on this issue.

It’s just such a waste to get a new head of hair only to ruin it with bad hair care products and cheap, unoriginal hairstyles. It’s like putting a bumper sticker on a Ferrari! I can only imagine that those type of guys are simply so happy that they finally have hair that that is all that really matters… but why stop there?

I haven't had my hair cut in four months and I'm going to wait another month or two before I go in for my next one. Letting it grow out has given me more versatility and styling options, not to mention, it makes me look younger.

Attached you'll see some of the looks I'm going for with my next hair cut... The Strokes! I'm actually going to use the exact same hairstylist they use and ask her to give me the piecey, layered style, except suited to my hair!:cool:

Corvettester

IMG_5515.PNG.210ec21746753a0806ab98c0cf39d08a.PNG

IMG_5518.JPG.765865339d8a84a525ef9a08542080f5.JPG

IMG_5520.JPG.0a7311b99ef358430ec21d6b4260c382.JPG

IMG_5519.JPG.a5b8ac1db04c6f050759138cf92ed336.JPG

IMG_5516.JPG.a1d3a73a61f91f5cd0cbda34c9b43cf3.JPG

Edited by corvettester

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Dorin

1,696 FUT with Dr. Dorin on October 18, 2010.

1,305 FUT with Dr. Dorin on August 10, 2011.

565 FUE with Dr. Dorin on September 14, 2012.

Although i agree that after spending time and money on a transplant one should get the best hair style possible, however transplants do not automtically give you good hair days and do not give you catwalk model hair, some guys hair will fall into place/style naturally and unfortunately regardless of how sucesfull the transplant was some guys hair styles will look average. Its important to consider this so your expectations are realisitic.

Yes, I agree with you. There will always be limitations with HT. And as you said, we must have realistic expectations. That part is what is personally giving me trouble in deciding how to proceed with my hairs future. I have high expectations, Im just not sure if they are unrealistic yet. I just hope for the best for everyone who goes through this and if I opened some guys mind to some new ideas that end up giving him more happiness after his HT, then I feel good about it.

Guest mariewoltz25411697

I think HT surgeons should consider the kind of hair style patients want to have after HT. I don't think currently surgeons consider this aspect at all. They try to create the illusion of density which works only for particular hair styles. For example, combing from left to right with fewer graft placement on the right side. This works fine if you want to keep that hair style.

In my case, I think the doc placed fewer grafts on the right side and expected me to comb over. But I hate that hair style. I lift my hair up and my right side is always a problem.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I've always been against weighting the hair (placing more grafts on one side) because it forces you into doing an obvious comb over by keeping your hair super long to cover the side that didn't get the grafts. This is the look everyone who has a HT is trying to avoid or get away from. Why in the world would any Dr. ever do this? I never understood it.

However, I also always felt that if a person had enough hair from a HT that they would try different styles. If you only get the frontal 3rd done then you're not going to have enough to style or comb forward, etc because you don't have any hair in the crown. It's easy to show pics of people with different hair styles, but the fact is that most HT patients don't get the amount of hair to pull off those styles.

I would love to have enough hair to style my hair differently, but I don't.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Based on this thread I ordered the SAMY paste, which I've since received ($7.99) but I can't use it yet because my head was shaved last month and I have no hair but when it grows in I'll try it. I have very thin hair that needs volume and control and there are simply few products I can use due to that and the fact I still have the early 90's mini grafts behind the hairline, which are obvious when any gel is used. I hope some kind of paste that adds volume without causing it to clump together will work

• 2 years later...

Most people actually look damn good with a buzzed down look!

I was surprised how good I looked after everything was buzzed down and I still have the grafts stubble.

Growing some facial hair helps like NorwoodsBane said, also bulking up a bit helps.

4066 FUE Grafts with Dr Bhatti, India 9&10 Jan 2014

For my pics and thread click the link:http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/173658-4066-fue-grafts-dr-bhatti-india-restoring-more-than-just-hair.html

As far as hair styles, Anchor man cuts, etc. Sure, there are better cuts than others, but the sad truth is, if you are good looking enough, it doesn't matter how you part or comb your hair. You can chose any hair style and find some GQ dude that can rock it.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• 2 years later...

Bumping this thread.

Are there any particular hairstyles that provide a more denser look? I used to comb my hair forwards then brushed up at the front but tried combing to one side and thought it looked fuller. Is there an optimum hair length?

For shorter hair styles, I highly recommend getting a fade (like at 1 or .5) and trim the top. The reason being is because if you're not completely full yet on the top then you wouldn't want your sides to be longer than your top!

Here's a link for reference: BAM!

Richter101 is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

Born Oct ’89

Began Seeing Gradual Hair Loss Oct ’09

Began Seeing Gradual Hair Gain June ’15

My regimen includes:

HT #1 2200 (ARTAS- FUE) grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2016

Finasteride daily, since 2014

Rogaine experimenter from 2012- ’13 RIP

Planning HT #2 By End of This Year :)

• 2 months later...
For shorter hair styles, I highly recommend getting a fade (like at 1 or .5) and trim the top. The reason being is because if you're not completely full yet on the top then you wouldn't want your sides to be longer than your top!

Here's a link for reference: BAM!

Can't not to agree with! The fade haircuts are one of the best for such cases :) Also the low top fade ones, like here http://machohairstyles.com/best-low-top-fade/ they look very nice and stylish too, and are perfect for covering the still not full heads :o

I liked these ones the most of all for example :o

Choppy-Bangs-and-Blurry-Fade-650x650.jpg

Low-Top-Fade-36-650x650.jpg

Also some of them are nice for covering the thinning hairline too :o