Finasteride and Weight Gain?

rvlaw12

Has anyone else experienced this? I mean any significant weight gain? I am young somewhat (24) and have been taking finasteride for over 3 years now. Before taking finasteride I was lean, ripped and 170-175. Over the 3 year span I have gained 30 lbs to 205..at one point I was 225 but worked my butt off to get down to 205..i mean worked my butt off harder then I ever did when I was in awesome shape. There is no logical reason for this to me other then this pill. My lifestyle has not changed, neither has my diet. Ive been checked over and over by my doctor for every possible reason to gain so much weight in a short amount of time. I eat right most of the time, let alone for a couple days here and there (like us all). I discussed this with my HT doctor in the past and he told me there was no proven correlation with fin and weight gain, but I cannot see any other reason why this would happen

RV,

I just re-checked the official report from Merck Pharmaceuticals (the company that produces Propecia) and did not see "weight gain" listed as an observed side effect. They did mention the potential for breast swelling/enlargement in males, possible urticaria (a type of swelling, allergic reaction), and potential facial/lip swelling, but nothing about weight gain.

It does seem like weight gain can occur for a variety of reasons, and I think discussing these issues with a personal physician is probably the best thing you can do at this point. Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Future thanks for that information! Like I said with discussing with my HT doc in the past, he said the same thing there is no listed side effect that regards weight gain. I have no breast swelling, and have gone through the ringer with the docs to find and possible cause. Diet and exercise change, testing for diabetes, testing the thyroid and parathyroid, stress and anxiety tests..everything is fine and in fact I'm in pretty good health she says. Just the weight is the issue and though i understand the many reasons weight loss can occur, looking at it logically, gaining 30+ pounds since starting on the meds when in fact working out more efficiently and dieting better just seems to point to the pill. Though my medical knowledge only goes as fas as a 4 year forensic science degree, a drastic weight gain in that amount of time with no other possible medical problems has to be caused by some change..and that only change in my life has been the finasteride