Blood Test

TrOpiC00,

Which clinic did you go to that asked for a blood sample from you? I do know that a certain large hair transplant clinic used to (and may possibly continue to) draw blood from a potential patient so they feel obliged to complete the procedure.

From a Bosley-related website warning hair loss sufferers of Bosley's alleged medical violations:

(I say alleged because I do not know if they were actually prosecuted)

"Several medical boards have taken action against Bosley for deceptive blood tests based on the 1996 DA investigation. According to the investigation, it was a practice at Bosley Medical to take and charge a prospective patient for blood laboratory tests and proceed to surgery without waiting for the results. The DA stated that the drawing of blood was not for medical necessity but was used as a marketing tool to get patients to commit to following through with the procedures. A former BMG physician confirmed that blood was drawn merely as a sales tool designed to make the patient feel "bonded" to BMG or committed to going through with the procedures. "

Other than an HIV test, I can only speculate that a physician could draw blood if you had some sort of medical condition that affected blood clotting (like a vitamin K deficiency) and wanted lab results before performing it. Like I said that is just pulling a reason out of the blue.

Can you inform the forum of which physician or clinic that asked for a blood sample from you? If the practice of drawing blood as a sales tool is still in effect you would be doing other hair loss sufferers a great service in posting that information.

Thanks,

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

TrOpiC00,

Thank you for your quick reply. Shapiro Medical is a HIGHLY respected facility with great physicians including Dr. Shapiro himself. Personally, I am giving him the benefit of the doubt because of the great reputation that they have and because I know several satisfied patients (including the founder of this website). If you are concerned with their reasons why don't you give them a call? I am sure they would be more than happy to tell you.

-Robert

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

they didnt say anything about an extra charge for the blood test, but then again, i never asked.

ah i understand the testing for aids and hepititis, even though i don't have them.

ill call up there tomorrow and check it out.

thanks a lot guys

I went to a local brance of a national lab in my town to have my bloodwork done. Dr Shapiro had an account # with them and the fee was charges to Shapiro. I wasn't charged anything over my initial fee for the bloodwork. You have about 4 techs and Dr Shapiro working on you for a full day and in any HT there is blood from taking the strip, cutting the strip and making the incisions. If I was the Dr I would want to insure the safety of my employees and myself. Shapiro is a good guy. I'm going back in a few months for another go-round to fill in my crown and touch up on my first HT from March. Good luck.

It can be standard procedure to have blood work done before any surgery. It is simply the physicians choice. At Dr. Cooley's ofice we do not do pre-op labs simply because the chance of contamination is very minimal. However, if one of us were to have a "stick" we would draw blood from both the patient and the employee. We use universal precaustions regardless of diagnoses. When these type of labs are drawn for an elective surgery insurance will not cover them and they can be expensive.

Ailene

Ailene Russell, NCMA

Dr. Jerry Cooley's personal assistant and clinical supervisor for Carolina Dermatology Haircenter. My postings are my own opinion and may not reflect Dr. Cooley's opinion on any subject discussed.

Dr. Jerry Cooley is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Check with Shapiro's office, they'll set you up. I have my blood checked regularly for cholesteral, and so I just took the lab work request form and had my doc fill it out when they did my regular blood work. My insurance covered it all. BTW, when I was at Shapiro Medical I remember one of the ladies working on me changing her smock, it was covered with my blood. I don't blame them one bit for wanting a blood test done. And, tberry, you can't have anymore work done until I have mine done - don't forget that!:-)

All clinics should do blood test. They are checking for HIV/AIDS and Hep. C.

If positive, elective surgery should not be performed. I'm personally glad clinics have blood test for my own safety. The instruments used are sterile, but most are not disposable-- just sterilized which might/might not kill some virus mentioned above.

Agree... which is why, if you want to feel comfortable, you should also do a blood test about 3 months AFTERWARDS. Works both ways. Had 2 HTs & no blood test was required in either, which is kinda scary. You trust the clinic, of course, but then again I also trusted the people who did my 1st HT & will never forgive myself for doing so.

3045 FUs with Dr Victor Hasson on 8 June 2004

1836 FUs with Dr Jeffrey Epstein on 2 March 2006

Regimen: 1.25mg Proscar every other day

People with AIDS or HIV are considered to have a "disability" according to the Americans with Disabilities Act. I believe this means a doctor cannot legally refuse to operate on someone testing positive for AIDS/HIV.

Perhaps not but if I was a physician I would most certainly like to know. In every emergency medical training course I have taken in the military we were taught to approach ANY person as if they were infected with HIV/AIDS. I am confident that any physician likely takes the same precautions.

-Robert

Beerman,

Elective surgery is just that-- a choice, and yes a physician can refuse to do elective surgery for various reasons-- no different if you was a hemophiliac (blood doesnt clot well), elective surgery would be denied by most respected surgeons. In addition, regardless if it falls into the disability act, you are putting innocent people who are in surgery at risk if they are not aware of the situation a patient might have.

Just thought I'd add my two cents. I don't know sh*t about ht's, but some of the comments on this thread border on old wives' tales IMO.

I believe the blood tests are to look for low platelets, red or white blood cells, or other blood abnormalities- not for evidence of a viral disease. These are normal precautionary tests that are done before any invasive surgery. Perhaps one of the real medical people who post on this site can confirm this.

Anyone who believes that residual cooties hang around on surgical instruments that have been run through an autoclave is mistaken. Those instruments are sterile. If you're paranoid about catching Hep C or HIV from sterlized surgical tools, I strongly suggest that you stay away from your local dentist (for starters).

Mike

Thanks for the input, Mike F, but if you look back in the previous posts Ailene and I pretty much covered that already (though not as in depth).

I said:

"Other than an HIV test, I can only speculate that a physician could draw blood if you had some sort of medical condition that affected blood clotting (like a vitamin K deficiency) and wanted lab results before performing it. Like I said that is just pulling a reason out of the blue."

Ailene (who is Dr. Cooley's lead technician) said:

"It can be standard procedure to have blood work done before any surgery. It is simply the physicians choice. At Dr. Cooley's ofice we do not do pre-op labs simply because the chance of contamination is very minimal. However, if one of us were to have a "stick" we would draw blood from both the patient and the employee. We use universal precaustions regardless of diagnoses. When these type of labs are drawn for an elective surgery insurance will not cover them and they can be expensive."

Old wives' tales or not, it is the physicians choice. Dr. Shapiro obviously wanted to have the blood work done. This is probably a precautionary measure for the benefit of the patient, I am sure, but if you take a look at a hair transplant procedure in progress you will see that there can be a good deal of blood involved. I am pretty sure that I bleed like a stuck pig (but I cannot verify this, I was off in La-la land almost the whole time).

-Robert

I have to agree with all statements...

I've had 2 HT's as some know. First required a blood sample, second did not.. or till after the procedure.

I'll explain..

Many know Bosley and MHR tried this as a tactic. This being sales tactic... Hook and sinker approach.

I had blood work drawn less than a week of my first HT, and on day of surgery, asked if everything was A.OK? Sales guy said your fine.

Must have had a photo graphic memory of all the people in the office for their procedure.

FACT is I am confident they had no results back in less than a week. And were looking for "you took the first step, GOTCHA!" and they did.

My second HT, they never requested blood work!! Or atleast till after my HT.. That is because a nurse cut herself, during disection. I had no problem with that, but they never offered me results from her. I have high doubts from that, but mind you, they ask from me, they should offer to me.

All being said, you can't blame a practice for wanting a sample. It really is a safeway to know how to approach a situation. But, as a standard procedure, they all wear gloves for a reason.

Approach all, as they could be infectious.

As for the instuments, medical science couldn't go forward with possability of contamintaion. Hence the AutoClave!

You can always request the information on the nurse who had the incident. Her blood was also done I am sure. If you were not contacted with a question there was not anything to report. If either sample had a dianoses the CDC would have had to be informed and both parties. They would also have to have a series of blood tests done to confirm.

Ailene

Ailene Russell, NCMA

Dr. Jerry Cooley's personal assistant and clinical supervisor for Carolina Dermatology Haircenter. My postings are my own opinion and may not reflect Dr. Cooley's opinion on any subject discussed.

Dr. Jerry Cooley is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

• 5 years later...

When I had my surgeries, other than the obvious diseases they look for, they are mainly interested in platelet count. If your platelets are too low then it's harder to clot and stop the bleeding. I believe a count below 20,000 is considered low.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D