Thoughts on using hair mousse?

lewisd123

Hey guys,

I went to the hair dressers today. My hair dresser knows that I'm receding and is careful with how she cuts it, however today she recommended me using hair mousse and put some on for me after it was cut. Is this a good idea? It feels good on my hair at the minute and has stopped it from looking really dry, however I feel it won't be good in the long run...

I'm almost 18 and my hair is receding and thinning on the top, not so much that it's very obvious but people can notice more and more recently. I've been told commercial products may help in the short term to make it look like it's in good condition, but can cost me my hair in a few years time.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

Lewis

:)

lewisd123,

Mousse and other styling products are not likely to impact your bading but missing the opportunity to medically stabilize your hair loss while you are still young and still have a considerable amount of hair left certainly will.

I suggest spending time on this forum learning about Rogaine (minoxidil) and Propecia (finasteride). These two treatments, used in combination, present the best opportunity for you to slow the progression of hair loss and potentially restore some of the hair you've already lost.

While Rogaine is available over the counter, Propecia will require a prescription. Consult with your GP, a dermatologist or one of the prescreened hair restoration physicians recommended by the Hair Transplant Network for more information.

Rather than worrying about the harmful effects of styling products, be proactive and curb your hair loss before it's too late.

Best of luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Thanks for your reply :)

I use Rogaine. I plan on getting Propecia when I turn 18 in hope that will help too! But if I did use these products along with the mousse, it shouldn't have any bad effects, should it?

Thanks!

I have never heard of mousse afftecting hair loss...that being said, it can't hurt to find some sort of all natural product to reduce the amount of chemicals hitting your hair. As far as the Propecia goes...if you do go on it, ask your doctor about the mousse.

lewisd123,

No, mousse should not have any bad effects when used along with hair loss medications. But, do be sure to allow Rogaine ample time to soak in prior to applying styling products to your hair. I believe the recommended wait time after applying Rogaine is 15 minutes.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website