spex

Losing your Identity through Hair Loss - You are NOT your Hair.

Well said. Now can I find a time machine so I can go back in time and read this before I jumped into the HT world while eating every single lie that my clinic fed me?

I am still bouncing back and forth between anger and depression after my confidence was destroyed by an unethical clinic. I hope I can someday reach acceptance and move on. I think Joe Rogan is a great example of this. He fought for awhile and ultimately tapped out, shaved his head, and can confidently live life even with his scar on the back of his head. He is open about his mistake. He was clearly not a candidate that was operated on anyway. Read about his case, it is very candid.

Don't get me wrong, a HT can drastically improve some lives. But I would guess that a large portion of those who are operated on should never of been a candidate. For example, my clinic worked great as salesmen, but didn't know the first thing about treating hairless. Don't be made to feel that you NEED a HT or any type of cosmetic surgery.

Very nice post Spex.

Appreciate the comments - Many will identify with it indeed - and i felt it important to get it out there in order to try help others.

Best regards

Spex

Visit my website for my Free Ebook www.SpexHair.com  You can read my regular columns for The Telegraph and The Huffington Post, Apetogentleman and Vitabiotics via my site and you'll find a great deal out about me and the industry there! 

I am patient advisor for The Harley St Hair Clinic, Dr. Scott Alexander, Dr. William Lindsey and Dr. Tejinder Bhatti. I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. I am salaried by all the surgeons I represent.

You are NOT your Hair.

Typo?

You ARE your hair,

and hence, you are here.

It shouldn't be so, but it is.

Nothing you tell yourself can change the brutal competitiveness of life. It has no feelings, no remorse, no sorrow no sympathy.

So what's the point in stating the obvious?

Exactly.

Nice and well written post Spex.

I was only thinking this recently that some people are identified by their hair certainly when they are young and sometimes older and you often hear people being referred to by their hair.

When I started loosing my hair I was 18-21 and hair was everything to me I spend ages in the mirror and my hair was an important part of who I was. I used to either hairspray it into a massive quiff or slick it back with huge amounts of gel.

I wish hair wasn't so important to me at that young age and I think appearances to young guys these days is even more important it is a shame but that is the society we are in were image is everything.

I do care less now I am 40 about the way I look and what people think of me but I still care.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

from ahair loss sufferer who search logic about what he was involved in thanks for ur pretty wards

Yea. Its strange how much my hairloss has bugged me over the years. Ive been thinking about it for so long I forget what its like to be blissfully unconscious of my hair.

Im sick of been afraid of the wind, or swimming, or a woman running her fingers across my head, or a bike ride, etc. Silly stuff but it has most definitely affected my life and confidence.

I just always wanted to be like a young John Travolta (in Grease) with that great hair and all the ladies etc....or a young James Bond. That's the life for me!

Excellent post-- thank you for writing that Spex!

I think alot of it comes down to Acceptance.. if you accept the hair loss you can adapt to the change. So many of us have a tough time accepting the hair loss.. thankfully we have some more options nowadays and have weapons in our arsenal. Having these weapons (great HT docs, FDA approved meds) can be a double edged sword because it allows us to to fight even harder to keep our hair and allows us to continue to correlate our "identity" with our hair.

Paulygon is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

My regimen includes:

HT #1 2710 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2012

Rogaine foam 2x daily, since 2012 (stopped ~10/2015)

Finasteride 1.25mg daily, since 2012 (stopped ~12/2015)

HT #2 3238 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in Jun. 2016

Started Rogaine and Propecia in July. 2016 after being off of them for about a year.

For me it's a bit more than that. I just simply do not look good with out hair, I look like a creepy skin-head psycho or something, or as multiple people on multiple unrelated occasions have told me, "a lot like Freddy Krueger."

ID-1_zps976a5fd0.jpg

So without hair, I would be pretty unattractive - and in that case, why even bother to interact with society at all anymore if every single interaction is going to be yet another mental gut-punch reminder that you're an unattractive, second-class citizen? If there were no HT technology or Finasteride or whatever, and I had been forced to go bald, I would simpy have divorced myself from society permanently and gone to live alone and away from civilization. Some people can deal with being demoted to that inherently-lower position in society, some lucky people even have the facial structure and head shape to look good bald... I am not one of those people, so it would likely have effectively ended my time in society in general.

Granted I may be a little more painfully aware of the situation. I grew up as the economically poor, Walmart-clothes-wearing introverted outsider who didn't like sports, attending a small-town Midwestern Catholic school where everyone but me was related to each other, and were all extroverts who all played sports religiously and wore pricey name-brand clothing. They spent their days contriving ways to ostracize and torment me using various economical, physical, and social criteria for years on end - a social pressure-cooker that instilled within me at a very young age an intense and omnipresent, nagging awareness of social standing and a nearly-pathological sense of social Darwinism. I guess old habits die hard.

So yeah. Hair (among many other factors) is more than just hair - it's the social stigma that surrounds it, and the way good hair or the lack thereof so easily affects your social standing in regards to your eligibility to be considered "attractive" or "acceptable as a mate or intimate partner," which are some pretty big things in life.

For me it's a bit more than that. I just simply do not look good with out hair, I look like a creepy skin-head psycho or something, or as multiple people on multiple unrelated occasions have told me, "a lot like Freddy Krueger."

ID-1_zps976a5fd0.jpg

So without hair, I would be pretty unattractive - and in that case, why even bother to interact with society at all anymore if every single interaction is going to be yet another mental gut-punch reminder that you're an unattractive, second-class citizen? If there were no HT technology or Finasteride or whatever, and I had been forced to go bald, I would simpy have divorced myself from society permanently and gone to live alone and away from civilization. Some people can deal with being demoted to that inherently-lower position in society, some lucky people even have the facial structure and head shape to look good bald... I am not one of those people, so it would likely have effectively ended my time in society in general.

Granted I may be a little more painfully aware of the situation. I grew up as the economically poor, Walmart-clothes-wearing introverted outsider who didn't like sports, attending a small-town Midwestern Catholic school where everyone but me was related to each other, and were all extroverts who all played sports religiously and wore pricey name-brand clothing. They spent their days contriving ways to ostracize and torment me using various economical, physical, and social criteria for years on end - a social pressure-cooker that instilled within me at a very young age an intense and omnipresent, nagging awareness of social standing and a nearly-pathological sense of social Darwinism. I guess old habits die hard.

So yeah. Hair (among many other factors) is more than just hair - it's the social stigma that surrounds it, and the way good hair or the lack thereof so easily affects your social standing in regards to your eligibility to be considered "attractive" or "acceptable as a mate or intimate partner," which are some pretty big things in life.

I think that you are a little hard on yourself on your pre-op looks. People that would say those things are probably young jerks that time just hadn't caught up with.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I think that you are a little hard on yourself on your pre-op looks. People that would say those things are probably young jerks that time just hadn't caught up with.

Yeah, maybe you're right. No one has really said much in the way of criticizing my looks in years now - I guess I still just aspire to higher standards and push myself hard. I do that with more than just hair, though... I also think I feel like I need to catch up or make up for lost time that was wasted during my late teens/early 20's, spent wandering aimlessly and stagnating in a podunk hillbilly town when I should have been out in the world grabbing life by the horns or whatever. Gotta try to keep some perspective.

Bump - as an important read.

Regards

Spex

Visit my website for my Free Ebook www.SpexHair.com  You can read my regular columns for The Telegraph and The Huffington Post, Apetogentleman and Vitabiotics via my site and you'll find a great deal out about me and the industry there! 

I am patient advisor for The Harley St Hair Clinic, Dr. Scott Alexander, Dr. William Lindsey and Dr. Tejinder Bhatti. I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. I am salaried by all the surgeons I represent.

bump :cool:

No worries Mike. Thanks for the comment.

Regards

Spex

Bump for new readers. :cool:

Regards

Spex

Bump for new readers.

Regards

Spex

Helpful topic for new readers.:cool:

Regards

Spex