Hey guys

This is my second post now...I know I really need to start answering other peoples questions and I will soon :)

For those who haven't looked at my profile. I'm 17 and I have a receding hairline. I'm wondering how much a hair transplant costs? and what is the process? anything else I should be aware of?

I've said before I'm not afraid of going bald in the long run, however I will consider the transplant if it saves me going bald while I'm in college or university...it just seems out of the ordinary!

again, I know this is asked often and very difficult to answer, but how long does it usually take to go bald? I've been receding slowly for the past year and only a few people have noticed at college. I'm using Regaine/Rogaine and a shampoo that claims to do a similar thing which has slowed down the process up until recently where it has been speeding up a little more and my hair appears to be thinning on the top of my hair and at the crown. This isn't noticeable yet however!

Thanks to anyone who answers, hope to hear from you guys soon!

Lewis

Welcome to the forum lewis123!

First off, you are really young. Way too young to be thinking of transplants regardless of whether you could afford it or not.

The best thing you could do is go have consult with a great HT doctor in your area and get a miniaturization mapping done. This way you will know whether you are really balding or not. If the doctor doesn't offer it, go to one that does.

After this you should determine whether or not you should go on Propecia (finasteride 1MG daily). Also look into Rogaine Foam. If you start these two now then you will probably keep your hair at least through college unless you have some horrible hair genes. But look into these first. Not transplants.

Hope this helps!

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

lewisd123,

Just about every guy here understands how devastating it can be to lose hair at such a young age. But one thing that most young, balding guys don't realize is that they will still want to look their best in their 30s, 40s, 50s and beyond. For that very reason, ethical hair restoration physicians will not normally offer transplants to very young patients except under very specific circumstances.

As hard as it may be to accept, you will have to come to grips with the fact that your juvenile hairline is not going to return. At this point, you should set your sights on retaining the hair you have via Rogaine (Minoxidil) and (once you turn 18) Propecia (finasteride).

You've got youth on your side. These drugs tend to work better the younger you start and there is a reasonably good chance that new and even more effective treatments will be available while you are still young enough to care.

Best of luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Hi,

Since you are still so young i will tell you the mistake i made. I constantly felt my hair is less and tried using different kinds of treatments etc. But instead i left it spoiled. now when i see my college photos i wonder why was i worried. So please dont get too worried by your thoughts or by other people.

Few things u need to keep in mind:

1. Use a mild shampoo probably with out any chemical or alcohol. Try organic shampoo.

2. Avoid wearing cap often if u have the habit or wearing motorbike helmet for long time.

3. Dont do any kind of hair straightening or coloring this diminishes ur hair strength.

And try to be stress free. have frequent breaks and outdoor activity.