My FUE With Dr. Rahal 3000+ Grafts (Large Procedure)

Sean

Did my write up/results help you with your questions regarding Dr. Rahal's FUE?  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Thanks Sean for your Inputs and detailed report of your HT. Its very helpful.. I will use your thread as a guide for my HT with Dr.Rahal in Jan.

By the way your Hairline was really awesome. Thats the hairline i always dreamed about and looking for. Hope dr.rahal will give it to me. I will show your picture and request for a similar hairline :). Waiting for your progress pics !!

All da Best

Hugehunk92, thanks for the comments. I am glad you found my write up helpful and you like the hairline design. I hope you can get a similar hairline since you like it. Have you been quoted on how many grafts you will be needing? What are you on the norwood scale? That can also play a part on where the hairline can be placed and how much you will need. Maybe you might need less than me? I'll post progress or try to every month. Thanks again.

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Sean 3000 grafts for such a small area . Great density but Aren't u scared u continue balding ? Hard to tell from photo but did dr rahal place any hair in your vertex?

Francois1, Well, I am planning it in a way that when I do bald further and if I do, I can manage it with another procedure if necessary. I did plan it out according to my hairloss. I did have some crown thinning and seems like Propecia helped in that area, and I also added rogaine to the regimen recently, so looks like I am really responsive to that therapy for the crown area. Dr. Rahal did not place anything there and I did not have any work done in that area as I am still young. If I need to focus on it later I will, but for now it seems stable and I am regrowing hairs in that area with the treatments I am on.

• 2 weeks later...

*CLICK

MY HAIRLOSS WEBSITE TO SEE MY UPDATES*

Important Payment Information For Patients In U.S. Etc.

I think this is very important that people understand this, especially, those that are not familiar with making transfers or purchases in countries other then their own. This is particularly important to understand because what your cost of procedure is quoted at can possibly end up costing more due to these very important factors.

Paying Through Banks: If you wire money, you will incur wiring fees of $45 (more or less depending on what your bank designates it to be). That is obviously a cost that you will face no matter what. However, there may be something that you are not aware of that might get you no matter what. That is that most banks charge a "hidden premium" on money that you will wire. Here is an in depth explanation as to why or how this occurs. The exchange rate you see in the market, is not the rate you will necessarily get.

For example, say the exchange rate according XE Currency Rate online quotes 1 CAD = 1.01875 USD, it does not necessarily mean you will get that rate when that is the actual market rate. If you type in "1 cad to usd" exactly the way I wrote it in the google search box, that is the live market rate and you will not get that rate depending on the organization you use. So, in my case I saw live rates using various currency exchange websites all over the place being quoted for 1 CAD = 1.018 USD, however, my bank even though I showed them all these rates, charged me around 1 CAD= 1.046 rate. Now, that can make a big difference when you are transferring thousands of dollars to pay for your procedure. For example, hypothetically, say if you are paying $20,000 for a procedure and you used the actual rate of 1 CAD=1.01875 USD, it cost you $20,375 + the banks wiring fees. However, that will not be what you pay as you are assuming, it will end up being 1CAD=1.046 which will be your banks rate, making your cost $20,920 + the banks wiring fees. This will depend on the current market exchange rate, as well as, what financial institution you are using. So, there is a hidden premium you will face and you can't really do anything about it. This is because banks and other organizations can pick a rate of their choosing. They are given exchange rates by the settling institutions and then add on a certain % to that rate to earn a small profit or negate the risk of the rate moving out of their favor in a loss on the transaction. It could be more or less, but that depends on the organization/financial institution you use to transfer your funds. My advice is to stay away from Wells Fargo and their so called "competitive" exchange rates.

Paying Through Credit Cards: Here is another way to pay or make deposits. They also charge a premium. Every credit card varies, it can be 3% or 5% or etc, depending on the card. This is their transaction "fees". On top of that, be careful of the exchange rate they use, as that will also make a difference. People have spent thousands more using credit cards because of their crazy rates when paying for foreign services or transactions.

What I learned about Paying for Foreign Transactions:

I had trouble getting an answer out of credit companies on exchange rates. They seem to lie, they told me they will match the rate according to the market rate, but I too have found out some of those guys lie. I know if you have a Capital One credit card, they may not charge any transaction fees so look into that. Call Capital One to confirm this. I have read about it all over the web.

On another note, talk to a couple of banks, not the tellers, but the people sitting inside the bank helping new customers etc (experienced agents with college degrees). Ask them how their exchange rate system works and if they are able to send money to any bank in Canada. That is because some banks may not directly transfer money to a Canadian bank. Take a look at TD BANK, and a couple of others. Like I said before, Wells Fargo is anything but competitive. They do not give you the live rate, yet give a higher rate but don't tell you it's a hidden premium, they just tell you that's what the computer and their system is telling them and that they do not know how their rates are calculated. Yes, that was the answer given to me by them. I had no choice but to use them as I had to pay 2 weeks prior to my surgery date as that is when the money was due and couldn't transfer my funds to another bank or another cheaper service, so I got screwed.

Now, there was an online service that transfers FUNDS at the LIVE MARKET rate, that may save you TONS of money, but they said it takes them anywhere between 2-3 days to 2 weeks to transfer the funds directly to the receiving bank. That service is called OANDA. They are probably your best bet you might want to call them. I wanted to use them, but like I said, my payment was due 2 weeks prior to surgery, and at the risk of them taking 2-3 days to 2 weeks to transfer, it would have collided with my surgery date or after. I found out about them the same day I was getting ready to transfer money. Was too late, unfortunately. So, take a look. Give them a call. Here is their website link. I am not promoting them, but rather helping you out by using them to save money possibly. Here is the link:

Money Transfer | Send Money Online | OANDA FXGlobalTransfer

You can calculate the LIVE market rate and the amount you will pay right now at the link I posted above. You are going to convert USD to send Canadian. I think their services are only available for American and Canadian consumers. So, foreign customers may have to find their own service to transfer large sums of money. Call and ask them all questions regarding the bank you will transfer to, how long will it take, your total costs, how it works, and etc.

If you want to book surgery in Canada, i'd use a credit card to pay for deposit and then pay the rest using the service that gives you the BEST rate of transfer. Again, stay away from Wells Fargo, I say this from experience. Good Luck.

[/size]Thanks.*

Hey Sean,

I'm really impressed with how thoroughly you've documented your story and experience. This is truly a credit to you, and is almost certainly going to help a lot of guys here out. Well done.

I'm also considering hair restoration in Canada, and you got me thinking about the exchange/transfer rate.

I assume from the above that you go to Wells Fargo - I'm wondering, don't they have a presence in Canada? I have a few different accounts here in the US, however the main one is Chase. And I notice that Chase has branches in Canada.

Could it just be as simple as walking into a Chase in Canada and withdrawing money out of your own account - at the daily exchange rate? In the event that I book transplants north of the border, I think I am going to call them and ask.

Other wise, your OANDA link looks like a good idea.

Also, regarding Dr Rahal, I notice on his web site that he has a practice in Newport Beach. I wonder if you could've just paid for your procedure in US funds to that location? Or did they insist on being paid in CAD in Ottawa?

Edited by SugarHighs

Hey Sean,

I'm really impressed with how thoroughly you've documented your story and experience. This is truly a credit to you, and is almost certainly going to help a lot of guys here out. Well done.

I'm also considering hair restoration in Canada, and you got me thinking about the exchange/transfer rate.

I assume from the above that you go to Wells Fargo - I'm wondering, don't they have a presence in Canada? I have a few different accounts here in the US, however the main one is Chase. And I notice that Chase has branches in Canada.

Could it just be as simple as walking into a Chase in Canada and withdrawing money out of your own account - at the daily exchange rate? In the event that I book transplants north of the border, I think I am going to call them and ask.

Other wise, your OANDA link looks like a good idea.

Also, regarding Dr Rahal, I notice on his web site that he has a practice in Newport Beach. I wonder if you could've just paid for your procedure in US funds to that location? Or did they insist on being paid in CAD in Ottawa?

Sugarhighs, thanks for the comments. I think Wells Fargo once had a presence in Canada, however, they now just have an office or two (I think).

They are able to transfer money to the Bank of Montreal. Some banks may not be able to do so, and if you have such a bank that does not, then you have to transfer funds via wachovia/wells fargo NY to Bank of Montreal I believe.

Did you look into the Chase Sapphire credit card with no foreign transaction fees and their rates? I agree, I think Oanda looks like a really good idea right about now when it comes to exchange rates.

Dr. Rahal does surgery in Canada. I think the other offices/locations are just for consulting. I had to pay Canadian as it is a Canadian business. The rates you are quoted are also Canadian. Right now with the way things are going, exchange rates may be to your advantage. I think it was just 1.06 Canadian per $1.00 USD as the market rate or it may be moving back up. You have to pay for the procedure in Canada at the right time. There was a time where 1 USD was even $1.20 CAD+. So, you really have to be on top of all these exchange rates as well as to finalize a service you will use. If you lay out like 10 different services, it is only going to confuse you in the end. See which one gives you the best rate, and use it when it is time to pay.

If you somehow had a Canadian bank account, you will probably get a better deal, because you can always put money in at the right exchange rates and then pay for your procedure that way.

While some businesses charge you tax rates in Canada, some may give you out of town/country discounts as Dr. Rahal does. So, the discount really goes against the tax rate charges and you don't end up paying extra on top of your procedure.

Did you look into the Chase Sapphire credit card with no foreign transaction fees and their rates? I agree, I think Oanda looks like a really good idea right about now when it comes to exchange rates.

The APR on that card is way too high, around 15%+. I think I am getting around 8% on a similar "World" card, but the credit limit is close to probably the cost of a hair procedure with a top doctor.

I kind of LOL'ed about the idea of just carrying $10,000+ in cash to Canada on the plane - but I guess that is probably a stupid idea. Not only could I find myself getting robbed, but there are also restrictions on bringing more than 10K through security at an airport. Although I doubt the TSA would recognize Canadian currency. I could probably just tell them it was Monopoly money, and they might not know the difference.

The APR on that card is way too high, around 15%+. I think I am getting around 8% on a similar "World" card, but the credit limit is close to probably the cost of a hair procedure with a top doctor.

I kind of LOL'ed about the idea of just carrying $10,000+ in cash to Canada on the plane - but I guess that is probably a stupid idea. Not only could I find myself getting robbed, but there are also restrictions on bringing more than 10K through security at an airport. Although I doubt the TSA would recognize Canadian currency. I could probably just tell them it was Monopoly money, and they might not know the difference.

You are right, looks like they got rid of the promotion for 0% interest for a year back in September. That sucks.

You are right about the $10,000 in cash thing, too risky lol. TSA is notorious with currency. I remember my trip to Costa Rica, they made me count my money to see if I was carrying over $10K lol. I had tons of 1's, like 3000, that threw them off hard core. But those ones came in handy in costa rica. Not only do some places accept the US dollar, but when you exchange them for Colones, it makes things easier. I wouldn't want to carry large bills or lots of money with me anywhere.

I should be posting photos up soon again. I got a message from someone asking to see a close up of hairline / temple areas and where my native hairs were. I cropped the photos so it would be easier to zoom in and see. These photos are my post op photos. I don't know if it helps, but you should be able to see the placement. If not, try to zoom in, you should be able to see native hairs vs implanted hairs, especially on temple areas. The recipient zones were buzzed a little closer I believe then other parts of my head. I think the image may be resized, but if you do click it, it should allow you to see full size and zoom in. Thank for the comments.

viewattachment.cfm?attachid=30145&forumid=1

viewattachment.cfm?attachid=30142&forumid=1

viewattachment.cfm?attachid=30144&forumid=1

viewattachment.cfm?attachid=30143&forumid=1

Ok, I took these photos 4 DAYS ago with my iphone using living room light/kitchen light. I tried to mark the areas to show the difference between transplanted area and native area by showing the cutoff mark. Let me know if you have any other questions. I have been asked all sorts of questions and I am trying to answer each of you one by one through messages or just posting it here on my thread. Also, you can see I have shed more hairs around the transplanted areas, some in native areas as well I believe. This is some shockloss (I think) and the overall shedding is normal I believe as with most hair transplants. I should be going to go see Dr. Rahal and will try to update photos again at the end of this month. Thanks.

viewattachment.cfm?attachid=30146&forumid=1

viewattachment.cfm?attachid=30147&forumid=1

viewattachment.cfm?attachid=30148&forumid=1

viewattachment.cfm?attachid=30149&forumid=1

viewattachment.cfm?attachid=30150&forumid=1

viewattachment.cfm?attachid=30151&forumid=1

viewattachment.cfm?attachid=30152&forumid=1

viewattachment.cfm?attachid=30153&forumid=1

viewattachment.cfm?attachid=30154&forumid=1

viewattachment.cfm?attachid=30155&forumid=1

viewattachment.cfm?attachid=30156&forumid=1

lookin good Sean...hang in there!!!!! I'm goin in to Rahal in December...can't wait! Your hairline design looks awesome!!! Did it take a while to draw the day of surgery...that is my worries that it will take a while to draw the best hairline...i'm a little picky to say the least! lol I like how he gave you a slight widows peak.

lookin good Sean...hang in there!!!!! I'm goin in to Rahal in December...can't wait! Your hairline design looks awesome!!! Did it take a while to draw the day of surgery...that is my worries that it will take a while to draw the best hairline...i'm a little picky to say the least! lol I like how he gave you a slight widows peak.

Thanks Capelli, I am definitely trying my best to have patience with this. It sucks having the hairs shed, but this is part of the process and I gotta remind myself of this. The hairline took just a few minutes to draw, with some questions/comments/concerns and requests made in between, particularly the widows peak. As I think it plays a good role, I had one before, but it became weak, so we retweaked it all.

I think it takes less than 5-7 minutes to draw it and measure, draw, erase and draw, etc. can't wait to see your pics, soon you will be in the chair. wish you the best.

That is another ? I have...i mean he drew it on me when i had my consult but the actual day...how do they know it is even? Does he measure? I have seen some horror hairlines (not Rahal) in that they didn't seem to be even!

That is another ? I have...i mean he drew it on me when i had my consult but the actual day...how do they know it is even? Does he measure? I have seen some horror hairlines (not Rahal) in that they didn't seem to be even!

I guess the doctor knows when it is even, he looks at existing hairs, and uses stuff to measure it with. Some areas may need more hairs than others, it depends on what he sees. Obviously we are not professionals when it comes to making the hairline calculation, but I guess doctors are aware of this when they do it. They have to be the artists.

I think they use the bridge of the nose as a starting point, then base it from there. I remember him making a point in the middle of my eyebrows above my nose, and then measuring with something, then marking, and then I kept asking him to tweak it because I didn't want it conservative at all. So, he drew what he felt he thought was the best he could do. I did address all my concerns with my goals, the forehead fears, concerns, comments and etc. So, I took his opinion as he is the doctor and now I will wait to see how it all turns out. Recession is the reason I never stuck my hair up after 2001. I kept it like with bangs or combed forward messy with gel and it just got harder and harder. I think temples and hairlines play a major role with transplantation.

I guess if you had pictures taken at your initial consult that might help as that is the type of hairline you want, you have something to base it off of so you don't forget how you wanted it.

I agree temples and hairlines are key! I am just nervous it isn't going to come out the way i want...like the drawing looks good but then the actual transplant is off looking. I trust him though...his hairlines are unbelievable! is it hard to go out in public with your hair looking the way it is...esp after shedding? I am curious to see how dating would be after my HT...should def be non existent for a while unfortunately! lol

I agree temples and hairlines are key! I am just nervous it isn't going to come out the way i want...like the drawing looks good but then the actual transplant is off looking. I trust him though...his hairlines are unbelievable! is it hard to go out in public with your hair looking the way it is...esp after shedding? I am curious to see how dating would be after my HT...should def be non existent for a while unfortunately! lol

Yup, the reason I went to him is that he has impressive hairlines. Hopefully, when it is all grown out, I can see the work better. I know what you mean about worrying about drawing vs actual. The shedding doesn't help either, I mean if I go out I gotta wear a cap. I am not jeapordizing my grafts by applying anything other then what was directed. Toppik may be risky right now so I haven't touched it. Also, you defintely have to keep away from the sun. I think the sun can damage the grafts too. I have shed more hairs as you can see from my recent Iphone pics. I'd stay off dating until the pinkness and some hairs have grown back, i'd say at least 3 or 4 month mark? Some people are lucky they grow quicker. So, lets see how it looks at the end of this month, and then next month. I hope my monthly updates help.

Answering another question regarding information I wrote in my initial post. I had mentioned an Indian actor and his hairline and what Dr. Rahal drew on it.

Here was the original description in my initial post:

"I did bring some photos of patients from his website that I thought the quality of work done was ideal to my goals, as well as some indian actor's photo to explain what I was looking for. He drew the hairline design on the temple area of the indian actor's photo he suggested would suit me. He did not want the temple area to be the same as the indian actor's as he explained it may look more like a feminine temple design. "

Here is the actual picture of the actor, and then the temple design drawn by Dr. Rahal on this photo on this piece of paper I am uploading.

Regarding the Indian actors photos:

First Picture (shown below): frontal picture of the actors photo to show you how he looks with his hairline. The actor has never had a transplant and that is his natural hairline.

viewattachment.cfm?attachid=30159&forumid=1

Second Picture (shown below): picture with pen markings made by Dr. Rahal on the actors photo to explain to me the design of the temples and what is appropriate and masculine and what is feminine touch or not appropriate.

viewattachment.cfm?attachid=30160&forumid=1

Third Picture (shown below): picture with pen markings made by Dr. Rahal and the explanation of hairline being feminine/masculine to show you what side was mentioned as masculine and what is feminine.

viewattachment.cfm?attachid=30161&forumid=1

I hope this helps answer your questions regarding temples. I am getting asked a lot of questions and keep getting emails when I do get a message. I'll try to respond as soon as I can and I have been trying to answer all of you. Thanks again for the comments and questions.

10/29/11: Here is the update on Rogaine foam, which, I started September 20, 2011 for the first time.

-I use to have oily scalp/forehead, I notice that Rogaine has kept me oil free. It is making the area dry, even the forehead seems dry. This is both good and bad I think. Good oil production is low so there is no more sebum, however, excessive drying can cause a slight itch throughout the scalp at times/dandruff. I am noticing that. I am ALSO NOTICING SOME FOREHEAD dryness is leading to few lines to show more, kind of like overdrying the area. So, this may be true, rogaine my cause wrinkles on forhead. Keep in mind though, it might not be the same for everyone. I am applying it from my temple area/hairline/midscalp/crown areas. Applying to every area on the scalp except the donor areas and sides.

-Now, I noticed another thing. From my own observation, Rogaine causes me to itch more when I have coffee or take an excedrin. Not just in the head but throughout the body and at times serious itching. Whenever I do not take any caffeine or aspirin etc, the rogaine does not make me itchy throughout my body. I think there has to be a reason to this. I am not allergic to anything but the caffeine may make this medication absorb deeper into the blood or something. This is my own observation. So, it seems to me excessive caffeine/excedrin with rogaine foam spread throughout the scalp from front to back, may make you itch throughout your body. At least this is what is happening to me. There has to be some sort of connection.

-I did see some hairs on my "shoulders" for the first time (a few strands kind of freaked me out), I really think it is due to Rogaine use. NEVER had these before.

-I realize I am responsive to rogaine as my mid scalp region, the area I didn't get surgery on has become stronger and thicker. Before if I put my hand in that area, the hand can make my hairs move in different directions and the wind can make the hairs move, now it seems they are thick and resisting movement, like they are stiff and I would assume resistant to wind in the future. I also was told during my appointment with Dr. Rahal the other day (October 28, 2011) that few of my grafts have started to grow. I am thinking Rogaine might have caused this early growth because at 57-58 days the graft sprouts came too quick. It usually takes 3 to 4 months to for this growth to occur. I did get most of my native hairs back it seems and those that grew, did seem to come in a tad bit thicker.

-I notice skin a little more pink it seems when I apply Rogaine to the recipient zone, other areas don't seem to change color. So, I think rogaine may cause a slight hue when it is applied, which usually subsides in a few hours (maybe 2-4 on average).

Edited by Sean

Hi Sean. Work looks great. You mentioned that Dr. Rahal feels that you have another 5000ish available by FUE. May I ask if you know what your donor density is and the area in cm2 of your donor area is?

Thanks for your time and happy growing. It's going to look great.

Hi Sean. Work looks great. You mentioned that Dr. Rahal feels that you have another 5000ish available by FUE. May I ask if you know what your donor density is and the area in cm2 of your donor area is?

Thanks for your time and happy growing. It's going to look great.

RecedingTide, thanks for the comments.

I am not sure of the donor density but for the recipient area I was told

Total Graft Breakdown: A total of 3016 grafts were implanted. 1091 singles, 1439 doubles, 407 threes, 79 fours, is the graft breakdown. Density consists of 65cm2 on hairline, behind hairline it is 55cm2, sides are 50 cm2, overall it is at 58cm2 density.

Maybe the doctor's consultant could find out and answer this question regarding the cm2 of donor area? I was just given an estimate of at least 5,000 grafts remaining in donor area.

On the topic of Rogaine, I'm not totally sure what's responsible for the increase in definition of forehead wrinkles that some users describe, but you could be on the right track in linking it to the decrease in oil and the dryness. Various things dry my skin out (products and food intolerances) and I notice forehead lines can deepen a heck of a lot. I once aged myself 20 years overnight by using the wrong soap. I was horrified when I saw myself, but everything went back to normal.

Just a thought.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Sean...in regards to your FU/Sq. cm count...when you consulted with Dr. Rahal...did he tell you that this would be the general numbers per sq. cm?

Is it photo time yet?

We are all dying for updates ...

Yes it is. I'll try to put them up today/tomorrow. I am waiting on Dr. Rahal's clinic to send me what he took October 28, 2011 during our appt. I'll also try to take extra some extra shots. Thanks for following my progress.