My first post - 17 year old hair loss, questions!

Hey everyone :) I'm 17 and I'm from the UK.

My hair started receding last year and got quite aggressive within the first few months until I started using Regaine and a shampoo which was also meant to reduce hair loss. However, my hair still does seem to be getting worse. Are they any other treatments to have done?

I am not afraid of going bald in the long run. I just don't want to go bald while I'm at college or when I go to university. I've noticed the slightest thinning at the crown of my head also but that may just be my imagination taking over as I worry pretty often about it. Only very few people have noticed my receding hair at college at the moment so I'm aware that I'm in the early stages. What I'd like to know is how long do you think I have until I my balding becomes noticeable?

All of the men on my Dad's side are bald but didn't go bald until their late 20's and they had thin hair. I've always had thick hair and everyone's always said I take after my Grandad on my Mum's side as he's 80 and has a full head of thick hair...I wish that was the case!

I'm using my last bottle of Regaine from my pack of 3 at the moment and my Dad has got me a new pack but it says Rogaine...what's the difference? My Dad was unaware that he had got me anything different as the packaging is all the same, but I'd like to know if there are any differences that I should know about.

Thanks for reading and I appreciate any replies. :)

Lewis

You should post photos otherwise it's very difficult to give you advice on your situation. Everyone is different in terms of how long it takes for their hair to thin out. Sometimes it can happen in a rather short period of time, while others can thin gradually over many years. Continue using rogaine it's going to help you, and just so you know rogaine is the actual brand name "regaine" is probably another minoxidil copy.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Hello lewis123,Rogaine is is marketed as regaine in the uk they are made by the same company there is no differance what so ever,You have come to the right place for all the information you need to do somthing about your hair loss,It would appear that you have started balding rather young but carry on with the regaine and you should also consider propecia(finasteride) to slow your loss while you research the subject further by gathering as much information here as poss and asking questions to find out what you want to know,Good luck to you and have a good day....

I can sympathize with you, as well as a lot of others on this board can as most of us have somewhat a similar story. I would get on finasteride and do everything possible with medical therapy to reverse my hairloss. You've picked a great place for support and you WILL get the answers you are looking for here.

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website