Upcoming surgery at Transmed with Dr Melike Kulahci

lisco

The key message here is refund sharpish. We can try build his hopes up but the longer he waits the less chance he has of getting his money back he could probably try get it back from his credit card now all he would need is a letter from another surgeon saying it's a robbery and he'd have enough proof for a immediate refund transmed wouldn't have any say in it.

Hairtoday I'm not gonna slam you but in 6 to 12 months I will say I told you it wouldn't work out!

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lisco,

I've just seen your updated pics and it wasn't as bad as I thought. The front at least, is definitely FUE. I wouldn't say that it was the best example that I have seen, but the fact that it isn't micrografts means that at least you probably won't get a pluggy look. That said, coverage, density, biting the FUs into the miniaturised areas (there are clear gaps between balding areas and transplanted areas) and a natural look are still a concern.

The crown...I honestly don't understand what's happening there. Perhaps the scabbing needs to clear before we can give it a full appraisal.

That said, I'm reluctant to continue posting on this thead as I'm not sure if the negative remarks are causing you distress and/or panic. As much as I feel anger, concern and sadness that a clinic would churn out a result like this, I know that there is a very real human story beneath all this - yours.

With this in mind, unless I am specifically addressed, I'm going to bow out of this thread until Bill can get some form of update from Transmed as slinging negative remarks about the job done is not constructive any more. I just hope we can get some feedback from the powers that be soon.

Again, chin up, happy healing and look after those grafts.:)

lisco, I agree with skinup. After seeing your 4th day pictures it's not as alarming in front although the crown work does look a bit off. Please keep us updated...

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

The placement of the grafts is a bit too uniform for my liking both in the crown and the front. The scabs do seem a bit large. Maybe they were chubby grafts? And maybe that'll help yield? Here's hoping. If it all grows well then it should be ok. It doesn't look like a hack job but it certainly doesn't look like state of the art transplantation either. Good luck!

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Lisco,

In seeing your updated photos 4 days after your procedure, I feel better about the work that was done. While it may not be as refined as I'm used to seeing by Dr. Kulahci herself and other Coalition surgeons, graft size and placement looks better than I initially saw in the post-op photos. On a related note, I did hear back from the clinic and I expect they'll respond as appropriate. However, now that we've seen updated photos and commented on them, I hope you can rest a little easier.

All the best,

Bill

Guys im not been funny but we've got to be real! The placement is absolutely shocking there is nothing a surgeon can say to defend this they're all lined up like a dot to dot. The graft size has something very suspicious going on but I can't work out what it is as it seems smaller than normal mini graft plugs but bigger than a 1mm punch.

I really don't see any point in trying to make lisco feel better if I was lisco I'd only want straight talking and no false hopes. It also devalues a person opinion when you know they're just gonna protect your feelings.

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

Hey everyone,

8days and many comments later, I believe the outcome is much more obvious - the key in my case seems to have been heavy bleeding wwhich caused large scabs especially in vertex area. As for placement in the forehead area, it also looks much different without straight lines and follows the hair pattern in the front. True is also the fact that the transplanted hairs are much thicker than my remaining hair on the frontal area, which makes the transplants stand out being not only thicker but also darker. Therefore I bought propecia which I started taking the first day following the op, and rogaine foam that I'll begin using a month after the op. I hope propecia and rogaine will do the job and improve the overall results of my first HT (once you go there, you keep going back).,

What's more, the manager of the clinic called me as a part of their patient post-op care and I mentioned to him that I posted a thread on the forum which invited many comments and he promised to respond to Bill's email and explain the rationale behind the transplant technique applied in my case. What's more, he reassured me about results, explaining that I bled alot which produced large scabs and convinced me that the final outcome will be more than satisfactory (easy to believe for a HT patient).

Frankly, I am happy with the way things are going - I keep monitoring progress and I follow instructions in terms of hair washing, taking medicine etc. Today is my 10th day following the op and I posted new pics two days ago, hope I'll get better reviews for those.

Many thanks to you all who took the time to post re: my HT and I look fwd to staying in touch

As long as your happy pal that's the main thing

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

Still looks like lines to me, more so on the area where there used to be a crown. Looks better without the scabs obviously, but not still how it should.

I don't know what else I can say regarding this as I don't want to give you a load of BS about the pics that I'm seeing. The clinic is just telling you what you want to hear, they can reassure you all they like, but you only have to look in the mirror to see that it's not how it should be, i've had bad ht's myself and lied to myself about the results and had clinics say it looks good when it quite obviously doesn't.

I really don't want to upset you, worst case scenario is you have to have another ht to fix this one, if it doesn't turn out how you'd like, you don't have a scar to worry about so easier to fix than mine was.

Maybe the clinic should comment on this thread.

I just saw your 8-day pics. Yes, they could have used a little more imagination in the placing but I think as time goes on it will be less of an issue.

A) The transplanted hair will probably grow back thinner to begin with after shedding, so less noticeably situated.

B) Not all the transplants may survive, thus breaking up any 'lines' to some extent.

C) Hopefully any topical remedies or internal supplements will cause your native hair to rejuvenate and the whole effect should thicken and blend in OK.

Hope it pans out well for you!

Guys im not been funny but we've got to be real! The placement is absolutely shocking there is nothing a surgeon can say to defend this they're all lined up like a dot to dot. The graft size has something very suspicious going on but I can't work out what it is as it seems smaller than normal mini graft plugs but bigger than a 1mm punch.

I fully agree bonkenstonker. There was no artistic design involved in this HT whatsoever. Simply said, it's just not acceptable. The crown work design is poor at best.

If it were me, I would want some remuneration to have a TRUE FUE artisan camouflage this work.

Atticus :(

600 FUE - 12/07 - Performed by Dr. Umar of Redondo Beach, CA

*****300 leg hair FUE implanted 7/12 to the eyebrows - 150 each eyebrow. Performed by Dr. Umar.

• 3 weeks later...
Lisco,

...On a related note, I did hear back from the clinic and I expect they'll respond as appropriate.

All the best,

Bill

It's been over 2 weeks and there has been no response from the clinic published here. Was there a mutually satisfactory outcome to this case settled privately?

@Lisco: Can you tell me the name of the doctor who did your FUE HT? I am havng second thoughts and am reconsidering having my HT done at Transmed.

Skipster

Looks a lot like swept.....under......carpet

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

Skipster,

I'm not sure why the clinic has not responded to the topic. However, there is nothing to resolve since concerns have only been expressed over postoperative photos. Most everyone, including myself felt better about the photos after a couple extra days of healing.

Bonkerstonker,

I don't appreciation the implication that this community has done anything to sweep any legitimate concerns under the carpet. While the clinic may not have replied for some reason, this topic hasn't been removed and it's remained open for feedback. Oddly however, it took a brand new member "Skipster" who just registered today to re-open the topic. If there's anything strange about this topic, it's that.

I did hear back from the clinic some time ago and they had intended to respond. I will go ahead and send them another email asking them to respond further. However, I will summarize what they've told me below.

According to Taner from TransMed, Dr. Ilker Apaydin performed Lisco's hair transplant procedure. The slit sizes for his procedure were between .6mm (for the frontal hairline area) and .7mm to .8mm in the forelock areas. 0.9mm incisions were made in the vertex/crown. These are in line with today's high industry standards.

According to TransMed, the slit sizes appeared larger because they've used a Methylen Blue which makes the size of the grafts appear larger than they are. I believe this aids in the visibility for the technicians during placement at the time of the procedure. This would explain why after a couple of days, the grafts look much smaller and more refined. I have seen this technique demonstrated via photos and video by several leading physicians at previous ISHRS (International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery) meetings and thus, Taner's explanation makes sense to me.

Taner reassured me via email that graft placement was carefully thought out and planned based on the patient's pre-existing hair. TransMed is confident that this patient will have excellent results over the next year and that judgment should be reserved until the actual results come in a full year from now.

I too had some initial concerns over the placement and size of the grafts. However, TransMed's response is encouraging and I too agree that we should wait to see the results before making a final evaluation of the outcome of the procedure.

Best wishes,

Bill - Managing Publisher of this Community

Hi Lisco, I don't want to you to think the worst about your transplant procedure. However, I had frontal hair restoration similar to yours and I think you should take a look at my post op photos here, http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/162401-my-fue-dr-rahal-3000-grafts-large-procedure.html . Also, to see very good quality large photos, go to page 5 of my thread. A lot of people have told me that the work looks very refined and really liked my hairline design. So far, I have not had anyone raise an alarm to me about my procedure nor be too critical about it, other then that I am a young patient.

Regarding your photos, IMO the placement does look somewhat odd. However, we do not know how it will turn out in the future. It may be a great result and in time things may look different. I have analyzed many post operative photos and that pattern did stand out, it is true, because I haven't really seen such a placement before. A lot of members have expressed their feelings, both critical and good. I do think that if the clinic has assured you decent results for the future you hold them to their word. You created this thread, and informed others, and showed what was just recently done. A submission was made and it is like a huge piece of proof and something that no one can argue with later on as being your fault if something comes out funky. I think the clinic you went to will back up their claims later on, when you keep posting. They are recommended here. I think it is very important, you post your progress monthly for the users to see and to critique it. It will only help you in the end if you need a surgery again/revision or to back up your concerns and claims for some sort of resolution later. You are doing a good job, and keep up with the posts. Hair restoration is such a stressful process, an expensive one, and everyone has a right to be informed and be educated. People that show their progress can save or help a person that is interested in such procedures. Results they post can ultimately make or break a clinic. There are users on here that have given me sound advice and tips before I went ahead with my procedure. I consider the advice very valuable and it may have saved me from making a decision I would have regretted later. So, what you are doing is a big and great service to the hairloss community. Opinions matter, and they should be taken into consideration, they are in your best interests to help you, not to attack you. So, don't take what some people have said to the heart.

I hope you have a great outcome. Only the months ahead will determine that. So, keep following your post op instructions and take medications you are able to tolerate to help you with hairloss. Hope all is well with you and good luck.

Edited by Sean

Bill i was meaning more the clinic and the patient have made a agreemant thats why he's disappeared. I've never seen anything swept under the carpet by htn that's why i mainly post here as it is fair.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

Bill,

I posted in the topic because I am, or at least was, considering a FUE HT with Transmed in December. I have been consulting with them during the previous month, and I have been "lurking" on this thread during the same time frame. I wanted to ascertain whether a) the clinic had responded, and b) if a satisfactory outcome was received by the patient.

Although Transmed made a reasonable initial impression on me, and their facility appears to be adequate, I was shocked to see the graft placement of Lisco's HT. Upon further research, I was able to determine that although Dr. Kulahci is recommended here, she does not perform FUE transplants. Based on the evidence of post-op photos by members here in the forum, clearly the graft placement work of at least one of Dr. Kulahci's colleagues, Dr. Apaydin, has come under serious scrutiny. I would be aghast if I received the same "stadium row" graft placement as Lisco. Transmed's patient liaison has informed me that if I choose to proceed, Dr. Apaydin will be perfoming my HT.

You stated earlier in this thread that Transmed has been contacted and they intended to respond almost a month ago. As far as I am aware, this has not yet taken place. As a potential patient, I am sure you can understand my serious concern in this regard.

Additionally, I posted earlier, to date with no response, enquiring as to the current recommendation status of Dr. Apaydin, and Transmed as a whole with regard to FUE HTs. (Thread here: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/162842-problems-transmed-dr-melike-kulahci.html )

Is it correct to say that Transmed, and Dr. Apaydin are currently NOT recommended by this site for FUE HTs?

Thanks in advance for your considered response,

Skipster.

Skipster,

Dr. Apaydin has not been prescreened by this community and thus, is not on our recommended list of doctors. To see a list of physicians we recommend, click here. To learn more about how we recommend hair transplant doctors, click here.

However, while we do firmly believe doctors we've approved for recommendation are providing state of the art hair transplants, our recommended list isn't an exclusive list of all excellent hair transplant surgeons in the world. Thus, since I have no information about Dr. Apaydin, I couldn't provide you with any real information on his experience, background and technique.

Best wishes in finding a quality surgeon to perform your hair transplant,

Bill

Bill,

thanks for responding and confirming that whilst Dr. Kulahci is recommended, Dr. Apaydin and Transmed are currently not recommended for FUE HTs.

Having viewed the post-op photos of Lisco's HT, would you share your thoughts on the graft placement he received? I understand you feel Lisco shoud wait until the hair grows out before drawing any conclusion on the result, however, I feel it would be helpful and certainly appropriate for yourself and other members with experience (possibly some HT dcotors here on the forum?) to comment on the pattern and placement of Lisco's grafts, and whether that specific part of his HT would be considered high quality work, or not.

In this case, the specific issue of whether the quality of grafts placement is of a high standard, or not, could well be the deciding factor in my own decision as to whether or not to proceed with a HT with Dr. Apaydin at Transmed.

Any input by those "in the know" is encouraged and would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Skipster.

Skipster it's common sense that the graft placement is not of a high standard, I think people are hoping it wont grow out horrifically bad!

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

Skipster,

If you read above, I've actually already addressed all your questions from my point of view. While I initially expressed some concern over the placement and graft size, I found TransMed's response (which I summarized above) acceptable. According to TransMed, the size of the incisions and grafts they've used range from (.6mm to .9mm). These are typical of today's high industry standards and thus, only appear larger due to the Methylen blue solution they used to aid in the visilbility of the incision during placement. The left over solution on the scalp, which takes a couple of days to fade away has makes grafts appear larger than they really are. I've seen this demonstrated via images and video at several ISHRS (International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery) conferences.

Proper placement is a bit trickier to ascertain since placement varies substantially depending on the pattern and existance of natural hair. Since TransMed claims that placement was optimal based on these variables, the most adequate way of determining naturalness is waiting for the reesults to grow in. Thus, I feel that judgment should be reserved until the results grow in.

Best wishes,

Bill

Don't worry, this is commonplace. The surgeon will generally punch the donor or cut a strip and make incisions in the recipient. The technicians will separate out the individual follicular units and place them into the incisions made by the surgeon.

If the surgeon did EVERYTHING, surgery would take a lot longer, cost more and not necessarily yield a better result, possibly even worse as FUs would have to spend more time out of the head and thus face greater trauma.

That said, every surgeon should communicate this very clearly to all prospective patients before surgery to avoid confusion or distress.

Actually, there are a handful of surgeons who do all the work themselves. Two that I know from experience are Dr. Umar and Dr. Konior, both of whom turn out some of the best work anywhere in the world.

When you have surgery with a doctor who does all the work themselves you tend to get a better result, in my opinion, because the doctor is a perfectionist who is not comfortable standing behind a result that one of their techs is ultimately responsible for.

I'm sure there are other doctors out there who do all the work (with varying levels of assistance) but to me the assembly line surgeries will never yield as good a result as the doctor who does 80-90% (or more) of the work themselves, like Konior and Umar.

Sadly, it's now common practice for doctors to hand off the majority of graft placement to someone else.

Edited by wylie

First I must make it clear that I am not a HT doctor and have not had a personal HT experience. Having said that, I will also say that I have never ever seen natural hair grow in a pattern like Lisco's grafts were placed. It left me with an extremely negative impression of Transmed's HUE work.

I don't believe anyone who is being honest could honestly view Lisco's pictures and say that the graft placement appears to be natural looking, nor professional, high quality graft placement.

Transmed, nor the doctor(s) themselves, have taken the opportunity to personally respond publicly on this forum, which is their prerogative, however, it IS damaging to Transmed's reputation and ultimately their business.

I can only speak for myself, but I am seriously reconsidering my December HUE surgery with them after seeing Lisco's graft placement and Transmed's lack of public feedback on this issue.

I guess that is one of the major benefits of a forum such as this: The opportunity to view "real world" examples of a HT clinics work, for better or worse, as opposed to a selected few before/after pictures from their own website.

Thanks,

Skip

Edited by Skipster