3400 Grafts by Dr. Madhu on 08/08/2011 - Need your feedback

Dear All,

I had my first hair transplant with Dr. Madhu two days before on 8th August, 2011. The experience was quite great and it was as expected after reading posts of fellow members on this forum.

Just to introduce myself, I am an Indian and 26 years of age.

Coming to my story, I reached the clinic sharp at 7 A.M. as per the given time to me and since I was told to not to drive to the clinic, it was my father, who drove me to the clinic and was there at the clinic till the end of the process.

On reaching there, Dr. Deepak, Junior Doctor at the Clinic had a look at my blood reports and I was asked to fill up a five page form regarding the Transplant, which I did.

Then, I was given some medicines to reduce the tension/anxiety level and was asked to take rest for around 20-30 mins. After that, I met Dr. Madhu, who drew a hairline on my head and explained me that too lower a hairline will give a childish type look in the future and I readily agreed to the line he drew, as I knew that he is quite an experienced guy and knows much better.

Few, pre-operation pics of mine were taken and I was asked whether I would like to get the transplant done with shaving or without shaving, to which I said that if possible, I would opt for not shaving.

Then, Dr. Madhu explained me that since I have a weak hair in the frontal region, it might fold and obstruct the grafts to be transplanted and roughly around 3% of grafts could be damaged.

On understanding this, I gave him my nod to do the transplant with shaving as I thought that its better to look weird for some time and have a good result of a transplant rather than risking few valuable grafts.

Dr. Madhu also told that the day is not hectic and no other surgery is scheduled on that day. I was glad to hear that as I would get more attention.

Well then, I was given a mock injection on my right hand by Dr. Deepak, to check for the reaction before performing the original surgery.

I had taken rest for some time and the injection gave no negative reactions.

So later at around 10:15 A.M., I was taken inside the Surgical Room where Dr. Madhu was ready to begin the surgery.

And as most of you know that Dr. Madhu gives us an option to nominate one person to count the no. of grafts, my father was interested to do that as he was anyways going to wait for my surgery to get completed and take me home.

So then, coming to the surgery, I lied down on the bed and Dr. Madhu started working on me....I could hear some noise, but I stayed pretty calm for some time.

He told me, that initially it will pain for some time and it did pain a bit while he was giving injections of local anesthesia to me.

I was calm and just bearing the pain, not knowing what was happening with me. I then asked Dr. Madhu, that had he removed the Strip and he replied, that he is about to finish closing it.:)

I remember, I read on this forum, that few doctors perform two-layered trichophytic closure, so I asked Dr. Deepak in the morning, that what kind of technique will Dr. Madhu use.

I was surprised when he said that Dr. Madhu has developed a new technique wherein he would be doing three layered trichophytic closure. I guess, he did the same thing for me...

Coming back to the surgery, I was glad that atleast first part is over, then after few mins, he was done with it, he did something on my recepient area and handed me over to his staff for implanting grafts.

There were around 4 female staff members who were working around me for quite a long time and planting the grafts. It was paining on and off, and as soon as I told them, they did something on my head, which reduced the pain.

In between, I was offered few biscuits and water, which I finished in couple of minutes.

Dr. Madhu kept coming in between to check, whether everything was going on fine.

Once, in between, Dr. Madhu took me to other room where around 6 of his staff members where removing grafts from the strip and separating it, and my Dad was counting the grafts..:)

I was again shifted to another room, where they continued to implant the grafts and at last when around 80 grafts were left, Dr. Madhu woke me up and showed me the mirror and asked about my satisfaction on the hairline. I told them that the frontal hair line is not symmetrical and asked them to implant remaining grafts on the frontal left side...Dr. Madhu checked it and redrew the line and then the last 80 grafts were implanted.

In all, 3400 grafts were implanted, the break-up of which is as under:-

Singles - 700

Doubles - 2140

Triples - 560

Total Grafts: 3400

Total No. of Hairs: 6660

It was around 3:15 P.M. by then and I was bought to another room where my dad was waiting for me. Another Junior Doctor, Dr. Vijetha, who did my consultation earlier was also there and another staff member, Afroz was present.

I changed from the surgical dress and wore my shirt. They then took immediate post-op photos and gave me biscuits, juice and medicines.

I then took rest for some time and then they sprayed some fluid on my head and tied the band, which they asked me to wear till 3 days.

My father counted the no. of grafts to his satisfaction, which was a very good thing..we then paid the balance amount as per the no. of grafts, took the bill and left the clinic.

Was quite happy that I was done with the biggest thing and it wasnt even paining.

Though, the donor area started paining on 2nd day and its still paining a bit on 3rd day...I went again for the hair wash today, when I was told that the transplanted hairs have settled quite well and the pain will gradually subside.

Spoke again to Dr. Madhu & clarified few doubts, and he replied to each of them calmly.

Must say, that he is a great guy and I am glad that I chose him for my transplant. Not only him, the Junior Drs, Dr. Vijetha & Dr. Deepak, other staff members, whom I encountered were really wonderful.

The toughest part according to their clinic begins now for me and that is waiting for the hair to grow, which is the most important thing for me. I hope, it turns out to be good and worth it.

Last but not the least, I wholeheartedly Thank this forum for giving me such knowledge about H.T. and I guess, had this forum not been there, I might have not gone for H.T. or might have not chosen Dr. Madhu.

Guys, Need your feedback on my transplant. Please see the pictures and give your opinions on my H.T. Posting the pictures in a separate post below.

P.S. Just saw the length of this post. I am sorry for such a long read.

Edited by simplycomplicated

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yet to receive immediate post-op pics from the surgery, which were taken by the clinic. Have asked them to mail me the pics, will post it once, I receive it.

The following are the pics of immediate post-op, which were taken from my cell phone. Please provide your feedback on the hairline. It is'nt that low but perfect as per Dr. Madhu, what do you guys say?

08082011992.jpg.dde5c51a2e8c56a792ab75df7b44446c.jpg

08082011985.jpg.0d4244948144b826c7a4c0423d115162.jpg

08082011984.jpg.388b642de8fa3ba79dd4b71ed6202a4a.jpg

simplycomplicated,

Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed account of your experience with Dr. Madhu and staff! As expected the good doctor's work looks perfectly clean and refined and the hairline artistically designed. I think you're going to be a very happy and hairy man in the next few months.

Please continue to update us on our progress.

Happy growing!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Dear simply complicated,..!!

Your hair line sees so very perfect and accurate. It can surely yield a high density hair growth. We are very much delighted to see your future update pics on this, especially on the donor scar and recipient area.

All the very best for your wonderful results. It will be good, if I can call you and talk to you over phone coz,..i am a prospective patient for Dr. Madhu. Please forward your contact number to legendmaker_7_jsn@hotmail.com.

Thanks

Jim

I really enjoyed the detailed account of your experience and everything that happened. That looks like a good hairline, one that will work now and as you get older. Best of luck!

Glad that someone actually went through my entire post and enjoyed it. Thanks for the feedback and the wishes....I just hope, that the hair grows well and look good after that...

simplycomplicated,

Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed account of your experience with Dr. Madhu and staff! As expected the good doctor's work looks perfectly clean and refined and the hairline artistically designed. I think you're going to be a very happy and hairy man in the next few months.

Please continue to update us on our progress.

Happy growing!

Hello David,

I have gained so much knowledge from this forum...that I had to share my experience on it for everyone's good.

Thanks for the feedback..Yes, the work looks clean and artistically designed, I wish that your words come true and I be a happy and hairy man in the next few months..:)

How awesome it would be if next 5-6 months just fly away...:)

Dear simply complicated,..!!

Your hair line sees so very perfect and accurate. It can surely yield a high density hair growth. We are very much delighted to see your future update pics on this, especially on the donor scar and recipient area.

All the very best for your wonderful results. It will be good, if I can call you and talk to you over phone coz,..i am a prospective patient for Dr. Madhu. Please forward your contact number to legendmaker_7_jsn@hotmail.com.

Thanks

Jim

Dear Jim,

Thanks for the feedback and the wishes:o. Yep, I wish that yields high density hair growth and look natural.

I have already shared the recipient area pics. As far as the donar area pic is concerned, I have myself not seen it yet, as its fully covered and I was wearing a band for 3 days. Will try and get the pics after the sutures are removed.

Hi Simply,

I am also one of the prospective patient of Dr.Madhu, could you kindly share your telephone or any other contact details, so that I can have a quick chat with you about your experience.

Thank you,

Keshav

Jim & Keshav,

I understand your concerns as I have gone through the same very recently. I would be glad if I can be of any help to you guys and thats the reason why I gave such a detailed write-up on my experience.

Whatever further queries/questions you have, you can write to me at my mail address and I will reply back as soon as possible.

Have just messaged you my email address.

Regards..

Dear Simply comlicated

Thank you for writing to me. I would like to email you, but unfortunately I didn't receive your email address which you said you had sent. Anyways.. I was just curious to find that your crown area is untouched, from the posted pics. why is that ? Are you waiting for a second session ? Pl. reply

Thanks

Jim

Dear Simply comlicated

Thank you for writing to me. I would like to email you, but unfortunately I didn't receive your email address which you said you had sent. Anyways.. I was just curious to find that your crown area is untouched, from the posted pics. why is that ? Are you waiting for a second session ? Pl. reply

Thanks

Jim

Hey Jim,

I wish I could cover the entire area in one session but I learnt that its not practically possible...as in...my donar area allowed only 3400 grafts to be extracted which was planted in frontal half to give good coverage and density...

Now, if from the given 3400 grafts, they would have covered the crown area as well..then the density would have gone down which would have looked odd and unnatural...so basically, more no. Of grafts were required to cover the crown area with good density, which could not be extracted in one session from my donar area...That again depends on patient to patient and surgeon to surgeon...

Well, Thats what I learnt from researching a lot about H.T., before I went for it...Would love if others could give their opinion on it...

About me, I mite not go for 2nd session in next couple of years atleast...would see, if its required after that...Would anyways continue taking medication of finax and minoxidil, which mite help to an extent...

Regards

Dear Simply comlicated

Thanks a lot for your quick reply. This is quiet informative. But I strongly suggest you to please go through the side effects and complications of these medications, as I believe Finax is orally taken. There are many places here in US, where this is banned as Propecia, now a days due to its complications. But its all left to you to judge. I just felt like letting you out about the present scenario and of my opinion.

Regarding the 3400 grafts, I believe it can give a pretty good density atleast on to top.

Jim

Dear Simply comlicated

Thanks a lot for your quick reply. This is quiet informative. But I strongly suggest you to please go through the side effects and complications of these medications, as I believe Finax is orally taken. There are many places here in US, where this is banned as Propecia, now a days due to its complications. But its all left to you to judge. I just felt like letting you out about the present scenario and of my opinion.

Regarding the 3400 grafts, I believe it can give a pretty good density atleast on to top.

Jim

Hello Jim,

I have gone through the side effects of using Finax...have'nt experienced it though....anywayz...will cut down to alternate day usage of 1 mg soon...and if it bothers...will stop it.

Regarding 3400 grafts providing a good density on top....I seriously have no clue....Whatever is done, is done now...So, I will go with it...

But I would like to mention that before my transplant, the no. of grafts estimated where around 3000 and the area which was to covered was little less than what it has actually covered.

It was my biggest concern to cover the entire area in one session and I did express it to Dr. Madhu and his staff and I was then explained that if they cover the entire area with only 3000 grafts, it wont give good density and would look bad both in the frontal half and as well as behind it.

However, 3400 grafts were extracted during my H.T. and after the transplant, Dr. Madhu, himself said that they did their best and extracted as much as possible and planted accordingly.

So I believe, the area near crown was not touched as they thought that it would not do justice in the area where they have transplanted.

Would appreciate if any other experienced member could speak on this.

Regards,

@simply complicated

Great indepth insight. Thouroughly enjoyed it, since I'm also likely to have my HT from Dr.Madhu

Are you from the same city/state or did you travel there from some other place in the country?

The reason i ask this is cause I'm from Pune, and if I plan to have my HT with Dr.Madhu, then for how many days would I have to stay in the city?

In short, I want to know what happens after HT? Do they call you again? and the headband which is to be worn for 3 days, we have to return it to them i guess after 3 days?

hi simplycomplicated,

read one of ur post in some othr thread where u were deciding b/w reddy n madhu,

e1 i m in same dilemma ,i have had online consultation with dr madhu he said day with 2800 grafts he wud b able to cover d front region in the frst seesion...n othr doc whose name is not mentionable here .he said 4000 graphts ......still i havnt visited his clinic for actual consultation,but if scalp laxity is ok will he transplant more grapht on my demand as i wud liker to have a bit more density..????......i hav already started doin scalp laxity xcercise ,,,,,,i hav started feeling dat my scalp is much more elastic now as i get a gud amunt of scalp in my hand when my pinch my scalp,,,,,,,

2) was d post op days really painful??o bearable 3) howz ur donor scar coz none of pics in dr madhu's show d scar???

@simply complicated

Great indepth insight. Thouroughly enjoyed it, since I'm also likely to have my HT from Dr.Madhu

Are you from the same city/state or did you travel there from some other place in the country?

The reason i ask this is cause I'm from Pune, and if I plan to have my HT with Dr.Madhu, then for how many days would I have to stay in the city?

In short, I want to know what happens after HT? Do they call you again? and the headband which is to be worn for 3 days, we have to return it to them i guess after 3 days?

Hello Buddy,

I am glad you read the story completely. I beleive you have already gone through Dr. Madhu's website, if not, go through it thoroughly if you plan to have H.T.

Regarding me, I am from the same city and just had to travel from my Home to his clinic, which is around 20 Kms..:)

If you plan to have H.T. with him, say on Saturday morning, its advisable to reach Hyderabad by Friday noon or evening...Have your H.T. on Saturday morning, take rest in your Hotel Room on that evening, Come for hair wash on Sunday noon, catch an evening Volvo to Pune and reach Pune by Monday morning.

Regarding the Head Band, you can keep that with you...:)

Regards

hi simplycomplicated,

read one of ur post in some othr thread where u were deciding b/w reddy n madhu,

e1 i m in same dilemma ,i have had online consultation with dr madhu he said day with 2800 grafts he wud b able to cover d front region in the frst seesion...n othr doc whose name is not mentionable here .he said 4000 graphts ......still i havnt visited his clinic for actual consultation,but if scalp laxity is ok will he transplant more grapht on my demand as i wud liker to have a bit more density..????......i hav already started doin scalp laxity xcercise ,,,,,,i hav started feeling dat my scalp is much more elastic now as i get a gud amunt of scalp in my hand when my pinch my scalp,,,,,,,

2) was d post op days really painful??o bearable 3) howz ur donor scar coz none of pics in dr madhu's show d scar???

Hello Pokerboi,

1) 2800 grafts estimate may be rough estimate by Dr. Madhu's team, and if your scalp laxity is good, he would be able to extract more grafts and would do his bit to extract as much as possible.

2) Post Op, 2nd half of Day 2 & 1st half of Day 3 of the transplant was painful at the Donor Scar but bearable. There was a swelling on my forehead for day 3, 4 & 5, which gradually decreased in next couple of days.

3) To be very frank, I myself have not seen the donor scar. I know, its a bit foolish, but cant help it, as first 3 days, it was covered with band and now, after staples removal, there are still absorbable thread of stitch remaining at the Donor Scar and as my hair around the Donar Hair is quite long, its not visible clearly. Will go and trim my non-transplanted hair this weekend to match the transplanted hair and will then take the pic of donor scar and post it.

Regards.

are the Staples compulsary??????? :o .... e1 m thinkin of optin for absorable stitches does dat mean e1 ill have to take staples ?.....coz i hav heard d staples coz terrible pain,,,,,on top of it i m not frm hyderabad

are the Staples compulsary??????? :o .... e1 m thinkin of optin for absorable stitches does dat mean e1 ill have to take staples ?.....coz i hav heard d staples coz terrible pain,,,,,on top of it i m not frm hyderabad

You can opt for absorable stitches...not an issue with that...but i guess, he charges little bit extra for that.

Regards

simplycomplicated,

I think the work looks very good. It is very clean and refined and I also like the strategy Dr. Madhu had with your transplantation. Now this doesn't guarantee a great result but it certainly looks promising. So if I were you I would be very optimistic.

3,400 grafts should have a major impact on your look. For 26, you seemed to have a pretty advanced pattern so staying on Fin is pretty important. You might have to go in for more work later on but I still think this procedure will be a fantastic start for you. Heal well and grow well!

And keep us posted on monthly basis! ;)

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Hi Simply complicated..

I have an open question. Any one is invited to throw light.

I know it is stupid may be but out of curiosity, what assurance does the medical field or surgeons have that the remaining hair in the donor scar area will remain in future because the grafts are basically taken OUT from the donor area to the recipient area, leaving the donor area graftless may be ?? I don't know.

Thanks

JkR