Minoxidil 10% too strong?

john2009

HI guys iv recently had a transplant and have been told to start using minoxidil to help to grafts grow.I ordered the 10% bottle from amazon but when i was getting my stitches out i was told that 10% is to strong and it would kill the grafts..im probably going to get the 5% bottle now..just wonder if anyone is using 10% and getting good results?

Burn the grafts??? Who told you that? Give me a break man. No way. I need a scientific evidence. You apply 5% twice a day or apply 10% once a day. At the end the same dose. Just use it and relax buddy.

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

John,

While I'm uncertain whether or not the 10% minoxidil solution would "burn the grafts," the 5% solution is what's been tested and proven to treat hair loss, and this is what I would suggest utilizing. Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Yeah, stick with what is proven. No need to do 10% minx if 5% is doing the trick for you.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

• 2 weeks later...
HI guys iv recently had a transplant and have been told to start using minoxidil to help to grafts grow.I ordered the 10% bottle from amazon but when i was getting my stitches out i was told that 10% is to strong and it would kill the grafts..im probably going to get the 5% bottle now..just wonder if anyone is using 10% and getting good results?

What did you decide on finally?

I used Minoxidil 10% for around 7 months, 2 ml once a day and saw great results. I recently had my Hair Transplant on 8th August and have stopped using Minoxidil since then for few days.

Will start again next week, but my H.T. Doctor has asked to use 5%, 1 ml twice a day and not to use 10%

I am also confused now.

What do you guys suggest?

The higher strength minoxidils need a touch of acid in to keep the minoxidil crystals in the soloution without them reforming back into crystals within the bottle.

Most 10 and 15% soloutions do not say on the side that they have acid inside but the fact is it is definitley there as minoxidil soloution can not stay stable with much higher than 5% without phosphoric acid. I have also questioned many of these companies how they keep there 10% stable and they have admited it to me.

Ok so there's nothing wrong with acid as azelaic acid is helpful in absorbing the soloution into your scalp but the ht doctors don't even like you using harsh shampoos after a ht so i would say acid would be a no no for the first 2 months after that i would say you're safe to use it.

I know a lot about minoxidil i used to make my own at home....Stick with me you'll be alright lol.

Edited by bonkerstonker

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

The higher strength minoxidils need a touch of acid in to keep the minoxidil crystals in the soloution without them reforming back into crystals within the bottle.

Most 10 and 15% soloutions do not say on the side that they have acid inside but the fact is it is definitley there as minoxidil soloution can not stay stable with much higher than 5% without phosphoric acid. I have also questioned many of these companies how they keep there 10% stable and they have admited it to me.

Ok so there's nothing wrong with acid as azelaic acid is helpful in absorbing the soloution into your scalp but the ht doctors don't even like you using harsh shampoos after a ht so i would say acid would be a no no for the first 2 months after that i would say you're safe to use it.

I know a lot about minoxidil i used to make my own at home....Stick with me you'll be alright lol.

Hey Buddy,

Thanks for replying and providing such insight on this.

My HT doctor has asked me to stick to 5% for around 4 months after transplant and said that after that I can apply 10%

My problem is since I was already using 10% before transplant and I was seeing decent results, I stocked it up just because I was getting a good discount on it. Currently, I have 5 packed bottles of 10% Minoxidil with me, which is like 6 months supply for me.

Just wanted to know, that after using 5% Mintop for the next four months, can I start applying 10% again. Will it be safe and positive or is 5% advisable?

Generally, what is preferable according to you,5% or 10%?

Does 10% provide better results as such?

Edited by simplycomplicated

The phosphoric acid is only a trace but enough to stabelize it I think most suppliers use .5ml in a 65ml bottle so you'd be fine after 4 months given the fact you can return to normal shampoo after 2 weeks.

Azelaic acid is always labelled on the side of the bottle as they promote it as a extra tool against hairloss I've even heard talk that it can kill off some dht from around your follicles but I'm not a believer, anyway I personally would never use any minox with azelaic acid as I feel it weakens your hair strands making your hair look frail in a cosmetic way but it does not damage your follicles so if you shaved your hair and regrew it after long azelaic acid use it would grow back better looking but I would never use one with that in, just check if yours has that.

I find 10 and 15% minox solution without azelaic acid much better than 5% but wouldn't use for a while after a Ht.

Edited by bonkerstonker

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

The phosphoric acid is only a trace but enough to stabelize it I think most suppliers use .5ml in a 65ml bottle so you'd be fine after 4 months given the fact you can return to normal shampoo after 2 weeks.

Azelaic acid is always labelled on the side of the bottle as they promote it as a extra tool against hairloss I've even heard talk that it can kill off some dht from around your follicles but I'm not a believer, anyway I personally would never use any minox with azelaic acid as I feel it weakens your hair strands making your hair look frail in a cosmetic way but it does not damage your follicles so if you shaved your hair and regrew it after long azelaic acid use it would grow back better looking but I would never use one with that in, just check if yours has that.

I find 10 and 15% minox solution without azelaic acid much better than 5% but wouldn't use for a while after a Ht.

My Minoxidil does not mention anything apart from Minoxidil IP - 100 mg, Alcohol (95%) IP eqivalent to Absolute Alcohol 40% v/v...Don't know what does that mean...

My Minoxidil does not mention anything apart from Minoxidil IP - 100 mg, Alcohol (95%) IP eqivalent to Absolute Alcohol 40% v/v...Don't know what does that mean...

That means for every 1ml of liquid soloution you have 100mg of minoxidil usp powder. Meaning 10% minoxidil solution.

With regards to your alcohol it means they did not use pure ethyl alcohol that you can drink they used some sort of denatured alcohol likely to contain denatonium.

Denatured alcohol is used in minoxidil because it is cheaper because there is no alcohol tax as they know it can not be drunk.

Like is said there will be a trace of acid but doesn't sound like you have azelaic acid as it would say that on the bottle front. Where did you buy it from?

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

That means for every 1ml of liquid soloution you have 100mg of minoxidil usp powder. Meaning 10% minoxidil solution.

With regards to your alcohol it means they did not use pure ethyl alcohol that you can drink they used some sort of denatured alcohol likely to contain denatonium.

Denatured alcohol is used in minoxidil because it is cheaper because there is no alcohol tax as they know it can not be drunk.

Like is said there will be a trace of acid but doesn't sound like you have azelaic acid as it would say that on the bottle front. Where did you buy it from?

There is a company called Dr. Reddy's which manufacture this drug. In India, there are only two brands available Dr. Reddy's & Cipla.

In fact I just checked specifications of Minoxidil 5% which I have now started using after H.T., it also says that Alcohol (95%) IP equivalent to Absolute Alcohol 40% v/v, the Minoxidil IP is 50 mg.

Your fine with that there is no need for them to add acid in that as 5% minoxidil is quite stable in alcohol. Adding acid is pointless!

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

Your fine with that there is no need for them to add acid in that as 5% minoxidil is quite stable in alcohol. Adding acid is pointless!

Ya....but according to you...I assume that my 10% is also fine to use 4 months after transplant....is that right??

By the way, `m really amazed at your knowledge....you have studied medicines or what??

I would say by 4 months your grafts would be more than safe, the surgeons don't want you using anything harsh topicaly for 2 weeks post op so you just use baby shampoo but after that they say you can use what you want so in theroy 4 months should be very safe.

No i'm a electrician/cage fighter but i'm a perfectionist i like to understand things and i decided many years ago as i use these products i should make my own or convert other peoples into my own custom made minoxidil because i found the consitancy of internet bought minoxidil varied a lot, i also wanted less pro glycol in mine as it causes irritation but i still wanted some there for absortion, hydration and faster drying times.

I asked a well known minoxidil company to make the minoxidil the way i like it which they did they quickly realised the way i wanted it for my self was the ultimate minoxidil so they put it on their website and the bottles flew off the shelves they couldn't thank me enough but all i wanted was somebody to make it as i couldn't be arsed making it my self for my use.

Your very lucky i seen this thread as i never ever look in this section! I knock about in the ht sections above lol.

Edited by bonkerstonker

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I would say by 4 months your grafts would be more than safe, the surgeons don't want you using anything harsh topicaly for 2 weeks post op so you just use baby shampoo but after that they say you can use what you want so in theroy 4 months should be very safe.

No i'm a electrician/cage fighter but i'm a perfectionist i like to understand things and i decided many years ago as i use these products i should make my own or convert other peoples into my own custom made minoxidil because i found the consitancy of internet bought minoxidil varied a lot, i also wanted less pro glycol in mine as it causes irritation but i still wanted some there for absortion and faster drying times.

I have been working lately with a well known minoxidil company and told them how to make the ultimate minoxidil which i did for free as soon as they put it on their website they bottles flew off the shelves they couldn't thank me enough but all i wanted was somebody to make it as i couldn't be arsed making it my self for my use.

Your very lucky i seen this thread as i never ever look in this section! I knock about in the ht sections above lol.

Wow Man...I agree...`m Lucky..:)

Can I buy Minoxidil made by you in India???and whats your medical regime like? What % Minoxidil do you apply and whats the dosage?1 ml twice a day or 2 ml once a day??

Also, whats your dosage of Finasteride? Any other medications??

Do let me know please...I guess, you being such a perfectionist, must have been following a solid medical routine regarding hair...

I use only the 5% minoxidil nowadays and Merck proscar not any generics but actual Merck as I have found most generics to be unreliable I use a quarter a day which is 1.25 mg.

Just use the minoxidil twice a day with the spray head. You can buy it from where I buy it from it's called essegen 5% fast dry make sure it's the one that says fast dry the company is minoxidilmax.com.

When I say the ultimate minoxidil I don't mean it is the strongest what I mean is

1 it dries very fast and absorbs deep into the dermis.

2 it leaves a dusty effect in your hair after it has dried a bit like chalk which you can comb through your hair giving your hair strands a little more cosmetic thickness that you can gel over.

3 there is enough p glycol in it to hydrate your scalp and keep the alcohol from evaporating but not too much that it irritates your scalp.

I think you've got plenty of info now pal so take from it and make your own opinion and go with your instinct. All the best and grow well

Edited by bonkerstonker

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

• 3 weeks later...

Bonkerstonker, Thanks for the info on the minox . I used to add some isopropyl rubbing alcohol to my 5% to reduce the p glycol which irritated my scalp . I will check out the quick dry type . Is this like Dr Lees old #500 ?

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry fjm I didn't see your question before. Yes as you probably now know it's a lot like dr Lee 500.

See what you think with regards to effectiveness and let me know as I now have found a source that sells dr Lee 500 exactly the same as dr Lee made it in the same bottle and everything, I recently switched back on to that and found much more blonde hairs growing in my hairline so I have reason to believe it is even more effective than the one I formentioned from minoxidilmax.

Edited by bonkerstonker

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I will keep you posted . What is different about the new brand that you found ? Is it an ingredients ratio or a different addition to the ingredients in minoxmax ?

Lol ,I probably would have tried the new stuff first !

I just looked at the 6'th month pic and see what you mean about the hairline growth , nice to see it . It is rare to see minox grow hair up front and have pics of it .Keep on growing .

Edited by fjm96

They're both exactly the same ingredients but made by different people, for some reason the second is more effective with me. The best way to tell is watch the very thin vellus hairs that grow below your hairline/forehead.

I've only just found the new one so couldn't make anyone aware. Finish what you got left, get in touch and I'll show you where to get the new stuff and see what happens for you.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

They're both exactly the same ingredients but made by different people, for some reason the second is more effective with me. The best way to tell is watch the very thin vellus hairs that grow below your hairline/forehead.

I've only just found the new one so couldn't make anyone aware. Finish what you got left, get in touch and I'll show you where to get the new stuff and see what happens for you.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

• 4 months later...