2,508 FUs + Acell with Dr. Cooley 7/27/2011

Hello everyone! Dr. Cooley completed my 1st HT 3 days ago, and I have finally gotten around to updating my site and uploading pictures. Check out my Hair Transplant Website for lots more photos and info.

I traveled to Charlotte July, 26th to meet with Dr. Cooley and discuss final plans and make sure my expectations were in line with reality. Dr. Cooley is a great guy and very easy to talk to. This man is the real deal. He stood by the recommendation that 2000 grafts would look great. I had budgeted to go as high as 3000 grafts and he agreed to be flexible and take out more than 2000 if possible and work a little farther back into my existing hair.

After the final consultation, I headed over to the hotel. The hotel that Dr. Cooley's office uses for out of town patients is stellar. The patient consultant, Lollie, told me that they always have about 2 patients staying there on most days and that they always treat his patients well. Totally true. When checking in, the staff noted that everything was paid in advance and very warmly set up the early morning shuttle for the next day. They said if I needed anything, let them know- Dr. Cooley's patients are their VIPs. That felt great.

It was still the afternoon so I took a quick trip to the mall to grab a button up shirt for procedure day and then took in a movie to kill time. About 9:00 went to sleep with the alarm set for 5:30 to get up and get ready for procedure.

I woke up early and scrubbed down in the shower with Hibiclens and got into my stylish sweatpants and headed down for a big breakfast. The hotel picked me up at 6:45 sharp and we made the long 3 minute trek to Dr. Cooley's office.

One of the techs, Stephanie, greeted me at the door and double checked the consent forms and, most importantly, helped me make out my movie list and lunch order. Dr. Cooley then came in and went over our plan one more time, gave me some valium, demerol and other fun stuff and then took the "before" photos.

We got into the surgery room and gave me the Versed intravenously and prepped for excision. Dr. Cooley uses a very cool vibrating/massaging thing that distracts you from the needle that gives the local anesthetic. I have heard plenty of people talk here about that being the worst part and I can honestly say, I hardly felt any of the injections all day.

I was conscious through the excision but very relaxed and wasn't bothered at all. It went by very quickly and the next thing I knew, Dr. Cooley was making the recipient incisions. Next he and the lead tech, Brandi, were placing grafts while 8 other techs prepared the FUs.

Dr. Cooley was in the room placing with Brandi nearly the whole day. When he had to step out for a while, another experienced tech, Amy pitched in. From start to finish, I was there 11.5 hours. It seemed to fly by and everyone was so great I actually enjoyed my time there.

Dr. Cooley ended up extracting 2508 FUs and covered an are of approximately 50 cm2 for a density averaging 50fu/cm2.

I think I had slightly higher than average hairs per FU. The breakdown is:

1s - 413

2s - 1030

3s - 837

4/5s - 228

for a total of 2508 grafts and 5896 hairs.

Dr. Cooley said the donor was closed with "no tension at all" which made me very happy. He used Acell in the wound. The next day a friend in the medical profession looked at it and said "That looks like a wound that has been healing for 2 weeks not 24 hours" so needless to say, I am thrilled and hope it continues to heal well. As it is now, I have a hard time finding it just to put the antibiotic on.

I couldn't believe how clean everything looked when he was finished. No bleeding, everything just looked neat and tidy. I couldn't have been happier. After being so worried in the weeks building up to this day, I couldn't have wished for a smoother procedure.

DSC_0695.jpg

DSC_0700.jpg

DSC_063.jpg

P7301794.jpg

P7281784.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dr. Cooley is an awesome guy. You were well taken care of and it should look really good in a year. Did you help design that hairline or did Dr. Cooley? I ask because most people want to frame their face with a hairline close to their original one, not with temple recession.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Dr. Cooley is an awesome guy. You were well taken care of and it should look really good in a year. Did you help design that hairline or did Dr. Cooley? I ask because most people want to frame their face with a hairline close to their original one, not with temple recession.

Dr. Cooley designed and I fully approved. I think the post op photos show a nice rounded frontal hairline and don't really see it as temple recession. To be honest that hairline is the same rounded shape I had when I was 14 yrs old, just in a mature position. You don't like it?

Shapiro Medical and Dr Cooley's clinic have exchanged a lot of info with each other so your detailed write up sounds much like one of SMG's patients. Glad you had a great experience. Wouldn't have expected anything less. Dr Cooley and staff are great. Looks to me your result will be outstanding. You received a ton of three hair grafts...good for you. Hope you keep us posted of your progress.

Glad to hear ACell worked well on your donor scar. Looking forward to following your progress. Cooley does great work and I think you'll be pleased with your outcome!

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Did he use Acell in the sheet or powder format? Also, did he use any of it on the grafts or just the donor?

Acell fascinates me, seems like ground breaking stuff and it's too bad more physicians aren't using it. Cooley is the man!

We need more pics of the donor bro come on don't tease us :)

Dr Arocha

3626 FU's

H1: 508

H2: 1741

H3: 1377

My Hairloss Website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2127

To be honest I am not sure how he applied in the donor. I know for sure the grafts were bathed in it and he also injected it all over the recipient area as he worked.

I will try to get more pictures of the scar tonight in addition to the ones in the blog, but I am finding it difficult since it is really hard to find. (Partly because it is so clean and healing so well, partly because the hair around it is so thick and partly because the tricho closure was done so well.)

Not absorbable. Regular ones. I appreciate that since the regular ones seem to do a better job of keeping everything tight (just my uneducated opinion.)

I could go back to have them removed, but I don't want to make a 5.5 hour round trip from Raleigh to Charlotte and back for something so simple. I have a friend whose husband is a nurse and he is going to take them out. He should have fun too- my partner tried counting and stopped when he got to 100. I am stitched up good!

No offense meant GreaseDJ, I DO like the hairline. Their isn't any receeded look, I was just looking at the wrong pic!

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

No offense meant GreaseDJ, I DO like the hairline. Their isn't any receeded look, I was just looking at the wrong pic!

No offense taken! I guess you were looking at the before pic. :-) I was hoping we were fixing the receded look, not creating one :-) No worries, friend. :)

Holy cow that's amazingly fast healing for the scar. Gotta love the ACell.

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

Holy cow that's amazingly fast healing for the scar. Gotta love the ACell.

It has been like that since the day after the procedure.

I am sure it has nothing to do with the Acell. I think it is just that I am a genetically superior human being with amazing self regeneration ability. ;)

Ok, ok... it is the Acell :)

Edited by GreaseDJ

Haha, that could be true too! I've heard lots of anecdotal evidence from multiple docs that ACell can really help with the healing. You are the proof.

Haha, that could be true too! I've heard lots of anecdotal evidence from multiple docs that ACell can really help with the healing. You are the proof.

Let's just hope that the injections in the recipient area as well as each FU being bathed in Acell will have the same positive effect.

Wow. It has been a week and finally got to massage the grafts with my fingertips. I don't think anything has ever felt so good. I didnt have any scabbing at all which was nice, but it still was good to finally gently touch those grafts.

I took this week off work and go back on Monday. Now my dilemma- I haven't shed any hairs so it looks kinda silly to have the fuzzy first few inches of hairline.... do I buzz the rest of my head to match? or do I just try to cover with existing hair the best I can? When do the hairs usually shed? I would hate to buzz down the rest of my hair and then shed the grafted area a week later :-)

P8031834.jpg

P8011829.jpg

Grease,

I am asking myself the same question. Im 3 weeks post op and so far Ive kept the longer native hair but shortened it a little to have somewhat less of a contrast. They say shedding is usually complete by week 3 but in my case last time around it was more like week 4 or 5. I look forward to seeing what you decide to do

5700 FUE in 3 procedures with Dr. Bisanga

View my patient website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1874

I would just plan on most (but not all) of the grafts shedding somewhere around week 4. There are a few people who never shed but that is extremely rare. If you end up in the rare group that will be nice but prepare for the worst to be safe. People still buzz to one length though. It can still look good.

5700 FUE in 3 procedures with Dr. Bisanga

View my patient website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1874