Is there a way to block DHT without side effects?

I read about all the herbal DHT blockers: soy isoflavinoids, beta-sitosterols, saw palmetto, nettles, etc. Anything apparently that effects DHT in any way seems to risk sexual side effects. Is there anyway to get around this side effect? Would it be better to simply use topical products directly as opposed to internal supplements?

Guest Patricia8

as we know anyway as you know - hair loss can be caused by many different reasons! Find out the actual cause of hair loss! There are many causes of loss of hair such as stress, poor nutrition ,medications, thyroid dysfunctions, illness, fungal infections ,hormonal problems, to mention a few.

year ago my husband suffered from hair loss too and he started trying everything you can imagine to stop his hair loss. the things that really worked for him was:

1) Vitamin A - an anti-oxidant which promotes healthy production of sebum in the scalp;

2) Vitamin E stimulates circulation. Good blood circulation in the scalp is important in keeping hair follicles productive. The 'B' vitamins contribute to melanin, which gives hair its healthy color and also stimulates blood circulation;

3) massage is also beneficial. Massage stimulates circulation. As already noted, good circulation in the scalp keeps hair follicles active. Experts suggest a few minutes of daily head massage by hand. Circulation through massage may be improved by using a few drops of lavender or bay essential oil in an almond or sesame oil base with massage;

4) Try rubbing your scalp with garlic juice, Onion Juice or Ginger Juice(you can either of one out of three, Do not mix any of two or three);

5) also he used herbal treatment - TrichoZed

It is a good product that helps prevent hair loss and it is an FDA approved product. I think it is very important!

It worked and still works for him!

I do not know if any pharmacies carry TrichoZed but I do know that you should purchase it directly from the manufacturer and read more about the product here (promotional content removed)

It enhances hair growth by blocking DHT (Dihydrotestostrone) - a major cause of hair loss!

good luck!

not only my and my husband`s own personal experience

(promotional content removed)

• 1 month later...

Vitamin supplements are good, but all these can be obtained through a healthy balanced diet.

The reality however, is that most cases of hairloss in men are due to male pattern baldness. Hairloss due to poor nutrition is very rare in developed countries.

By all means, take vitamin supplements, but you will almost certainly need a DHT blocker if you are experiencing male pattern baldness.

Only one is licenced for treating hairloss, and that is Propecia.

DHT has many roles in the body, including maintaining sex drive and is also implicated in hairloss.

Therefore, any treatment that reduces DHT (propecia decreases it by 65%) could potentially affect sex drive.

You could try a herbal supplement like saw palmetto, but please bear in mind that it is an unproven therapy and has not been tested on a large scale like propecia has.

Side effects with propecia only occurs in 2% of patients on propecia, and they go away on discontinuing treatment. Infact, some of those men who got sides decided to continue treatment and they went away.

You also need to remember that in the propecia study, 1.4% of patients getting the placebo (sugar pill) reported reduced sex drive.

Propecia since July 2008

2201 Grafts with Dr Lorenzo on 19.10.22 - See my write up here:

• 3 years later...

I’ve been reading a lot of books and treating my own hair loss lately, and recently learned that DHT is not as responsible for hair loss as we once thought. In fact there is another chemical hormone altogether different, and requiring a totally different treatment approach, from DHT, and that PGD(2) was found in all balding human scalps as having caused follicular damage. I read about it here:

(Link removed my moderator)

What do you think about Prostaglandins vs DHT? Apparently prescription inhibitors are on the market, but not in topical form; they are only for asthma treatments, etc.

Edited by TakingThePlunge

If you castrate yourself you will not lose a hair on your head and not have a 'side effect' .

When you think of the science behind it . I cant help but think propecia is a slow burn chemical castration.

Agreed... Countries like Sweden have all but banned Propecia... Everyone is waking up the facts they hoped people wouldn't notice; that the side effects are permanent.

There are case reports of persistent diminished libido or erectile dysfunction, even after stopping the drug.[21] In December 2008, the Swedish Medical Products agency concluded a safety investigation of finasteride and advised that finasteride may cause irreversible sexual dysfunction. The Agency's updated safety information lists difficulty in obtaining an erection that persists indefinitely, even after the discontinuation of finasteride, as a possible side effect of the drug.[22] The UK's Medical and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) cites reports of erectile dysfunction that persists once use of finasteride has stopped.[23] Similar labeling changes have been made by the Italian government. For a period of time there was a discrepancy between European and North American warning labels regarding the risks of developing persistent sexual side effects from taking Propecia but after two years in April 2011 Merck revised the United States' warning in consumer and medical leaflets to include erectile dysfunction that may persist after stopping finasteride.[24] In April 2012, the FDA chose to approve Merck's proposed labeling from 2011 only after the warning label was further strengthened to include reports of persistent libido disorders, ejaculation disorders, orgasm disorders, and decreased libido.

Finasteride - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Patricia,

The only two FDA "approved" products for hair loss are Propecia (finasteride) and Rogaine (minoxidil). So unless one of the products you're promoting includes one of these ingredients, it hasn't been FDA approved. Also, calling a product that contains a number of ingredients "FDA approved" is misleading since only one of the ingredients has actually been FDA approved, not the entire product.

But since your primary purpose here is to promote and link to your product, I've removed your posting privileges and your account.

Bill

Patricia,

The only two FDA "approved" products for hair loss are Propecia (finasteride) and Rogaine (minoxidil). So unless one of the products you're promoting includes one of these ingredients, it hasn't been FDA approved. Also, calling a product that contains a number of ingredients "FDA approved" is misleading since only one of the ingredients has actually been FDA approved, not the entire product.

But since your primary purpose here is to promote and link to your product, I've removed your posting privileges and your account.

Bill

How come my link was removed? It was a legitimate article on DHT vs prostiglandins... Also, this thread started out with a completely different post before it turned into spam; that was weird.

Jimmy,

I see that our assistant publisher and forum moderator Dave removed your link. I didn't see it, so I can't speak to why it was removed. However, if the link was promotional in nature and/or the page itself contained promotional content, it would have been removed. If there is specific informational content you want to share, please feel free to copy/paste the information into this topic.

Best wishes,

Bill

• 3 years later...
Anything apparently that effects DHT in any way seems to risk sexual side effects.

Yes.

Is there anyway to get around this side effect?

No.

Would it be better to simply use topical products directly as opposed to internal supplements?

Not if you want your hair back, topical crap MAY slow down hair loss but since we are all different and lose hair at different speed theres no way of telling if they work at all for you. Minoxidil did absolutely nothing for me even when i was in the early stages of MPB.

Finasteride however did do something, i had been bald on top for 20 years and after 6 months of less than 1mg Finasteride per day i saw some regrowth, and one night out my occasional girlfriend commented on it, the little hairs were thick and stiff like normal hair, not the tiny soft ones that often grows on bald heads, so the result was actually a miracle.

Now, the bad effects, early on i had some testicle pain but it passed, then i had some testicle shrinkage and reduced sperm load which were more permanent, though both sideeffects got a bit better after more than a year. I dont think it affected my testosterone level as my upper arms and thigh muscles has grown an inch since.

Sexual ability went up and stayed up, it became more effortless to ejaculate 3 or more times in a row (if the girl is pretty enough that is, thats still the main requirement). It was possible to ejaculate with minimal amounts of stimulation (if i wanted to, its different from premature ejaculation) but that stopped when i stopped taking Finasteride.

Thats my sexual side effects, it didnt do anything bad actually but i see that the risk is too high, if you get erectile dysfunction it will be permanent and no way back. I was lucky, for you it could be a disaster, the stake is VERY high and being bald is only as bad as you make it, just gain some weight and be like those bad ass bald bikers, for example. I do not recommend Finasteride, just saying its the only thing that so far has worked for me.

Edited by plunke

And how bad is it to be bald? Some female facebook friends participated in a vote for most attractive action hero, Jason Statham won clearly with a lot more votes than guys like Arnold and Sylvester combined, and Bruce Willis did very well too, especially considered his age. Now imagine Jason and Bruce if they let their hair grow, half bald with combover, how lame is that? Shave your head guys, youll be surprised how many girls like it, being bald is only bad if you try to hide it, combover guys will never get any votes for being handsome. Its a big step but its the best you can do when the bald spot on top gets obvious, and you can always let it grow out again if ever you get treated. Holding on to thin hair is the worst you can do.

And how bad is it to be bald? Some female facebook friends participated in a vote for most attractive action hero, Jason Statham won clearly with a lot more votes than guys like Arnold and Sylvester combined, and Bruce Willis did very well too, especially considered his age. Now imagine Jason and Bruce if they let their hair grow, half bald with combover, how lame is that? Shave your head guys, youll be surprised how many girls like it, being bald is only bad if you try to hide it, combover guys will never get any votes for being handsome. Its a big step but its the best you can do when the bald spot on top gets obvious, and you can always let it grow out again if ever you get treated. Holding on to thin hair is the worst you can do.

Sure lots of women do like the bald look but it goes with certain attributes like a well shaped head and more importantly a certain physique, normally the muscly type, it's a type a lot of women find attractive , but of course confidence is what women really like bald or hairy.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

I also feel that my own recent hairloss was hormone related. Ive had thick hair all my life and only minor receding in the normal level which only started about 5 yrs ago....about 2 yrs ago my hair loss speeding up dramatically without warning or cause?...ive always felt it was hormonal. And plan of getting T - levels checked to see if maybe low testosterone may have been the cause?

12/11/17 2500 FUE Grafts with Dr. Steven Gable

Then there is dutasteride...

O.K. I wont go off-label here.

Here is something to contemplate. Men find supplementing testosterone can boost sex drive and performance. So, you don't hear guys worried about "impotence, ejaculation problems, decreased amounts of semen, decrease in testicle size;" Those are actual side effects of testosterone. Look it up!

Every medication can have risk, but most men who use Propecia find the benefits outweigh the risks. (I do not work for Merck)

If the long term users are seeing sexual health issues, can it truly be isolated that that is the only causative factor?

I think most men 50+ would say they are different from when they where 20 or even 30.

Could there be other factors? Taking anti-depressants, too much alcohol, sedentary lifestyle, diabetes, heart health issues? All of these can be causative factors in of themselves,. Therefore it is not so easy to say it isn't me- it's the Propecia! Says the manly man.

Don't get me wrong, there are guys that do have performance issues, it is just hard to prove with so many variables. The "hard" pun was not intended- at first.

OK, that might have been a bit much.

Natural DHT blockers exist but I have not seen anything to make me feel that they will be very beneficial at slowing hair loss. I say if you feel it helps, take it. However, if it begins to fail you- seek expert advice.

Oh and SOY!?!? Soy can increase estrogen. That is for another forum.

ArochaAngel4247

Representative and Patient Educator for: Dr. Bernardino A. Arocha, Coalition Member. I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are mine.

Natural DHT blockers exist but I have not seen anything to make me feel that they will be very beneficial at slowing hair loss.

ArochaAngel4247

Which ones are they? i would give it a try....I agree with the testosterone analogy...as for the estrogen implication...are you saying that LESS testosterone, and more estrogen would slow Hairloss ...bc i was thinking the opposite in my own case. Seemed like my hair loss happened right at an age where my T levels dropped.

12/11/17 2500 FUE Grafts with Dr. Steven Gable

The estrogen comment was kind of "off the cuff." I recalled soy or soy isoflavinoids being mentioned back on page one of the topic. I was thinking of that topic might be better in the physical fitness issues forum where diet and nutrition are often discussed. Many protein bars and powders derive protein from a soy base. If you are trying to build up fitness, muscle etc. One might not want a protein to that also enhances estrogen.

....I agree with the testosterone analogy...as for the estrogen implication...are you saying that LESS testosterone, and more estrogen would slow Hairloss ...bc i was thinking the opposite in my own case. Seemed like my hair loss happened right at an age where my T levels dropped.

Less testosterone means less DHT. Less DHT would likely slow MP hair loss.

More estrogen does not necessarily mean less DHT. (This could light up those in academia on differences in vivo /in vitro)

When your T levels dropped that could be a factor or it could be coincidence. I think it could be the latter. Your hair loss probably started years ago. Humans visual acuity isn't so great after all. It takes approximately a loss of 50% of your hair to notice it is just beginning to thin. Therefore, you would have to have a dramatic amount of loss in a very short period of time. Acute Telogen effluvium. This is usually different from MP loss, where the loss can appear to be global. The weakest follicles/hair would likely be the first to go- like those in a withering male pattern.

To Low T: Lowering T lowers DHT. This happens naturally as men age. So, HL can slow down. Where it gets confusing is T will GROW MORE HAIR.. on your body. Higher T means more DHT production. IF you have the genetics for MP hair loss, then the rate of loss could increase and the caliber of your hair would decrease.

Saw Palmetto is commonly called a "DHT blocker". In European studies it has been shown it can do this. Many physicians familiar with the parameters of studies will tell you those findings are suspect. So believe it if you want. In my opinion, it may have DHT blocking properties BUT not enough to have an effect on male pattern loss. Perhaps if it is not so effective therapeutically, it may not be so effective at causing sexual dysfunction issues.

ArochaAngel4247

Representative and Patient Educator for: Dr. Bernardino A. Arocha, Coalition Member. I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are mine.

• 2 years later...

There is no clinical evidence that any natural DHT blocking agent can help with Male pattern hair loss.  

Propecia since July 2008

2201 Grafts with Dr Lorenzo on 19.10.22 - See my write up here:

• 1 month later...
On 3/5/2013 at 12:09 AM, JimmyJ said:

Agreed... Countries like Sweden have all but banned Propecia... Everyone is waking up the facts they hoped people wouldn't notice; that the side effects are permanent.

Finasteride - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is my fear and kind of answers the question I posted earlier..wasnt sure whether to start it as both clinics I have spoken to advise me to use it in the run up to and after a procedure. Im thinking that if I dont then the procedure will be pointless...the million dollar question