Are my grafts dead?

Hi guys,

A week ago my grafts were exposed to the sun for no more than 8 mins. Basically something happened at work were I had no choice but to brave the sun without a hat. I didn't burn but I did go slightly pink most noticeably on my right temple. To be honest I didn't worry about it at all at first as from what I gathered from previous posts your pretty much safe up to a first degree burn which I didn't have. Over the last couple of days however I've lost a few transplanted hairs whilst showering. I'm nearly 9 weeks post op at the moment and had experienced some really early growth in fact some had just sprouted in my new hairline around week 8 which was just before I was exposed to the sun. What has really worried me today was that some of the new hairline hairs shed where the slight discolouration is. As you can imagine I'm pretty worried about this as I assume the only reason this would happen is if the follicles were going back into a resting phase (I imagine unlikely after 1 week) or if they have died. Has anyone had any experience with this? Is it as bad as I'm fearing it could be as although the pinkness was very slight and has all but disappeared it did cover quite a large area.

Cheers guys your thoughts and insights would be much appreciated.

You are probably fine. Just experiencing a late shed on some of the HT hairs. Sometimes they can hang around longer than usual. If you are 9 weeks post-op there isn't really much you can do to negatively affect your future growth.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Cheers for the quick responses guys much appreciated. I still find it strange thought that newly sprouted hair would shed 1 week after emerging. They started as little black heads in an area with no native hair so definitely new transplanted hairs. Has anyone had this experience before? The reason I am particularly worried is that I read a posts of someone who had burned himself whilst away on holiday about 5 months post op. He also noted his new transplanted hair shed about a week later which he stated never grew back again. :eek: I know he had a proper burn and I didn't but we were both exposed to the sun all be it at a lower dose for me. It just seems a little bit too coincidental. Is it possible they went back into a resting phase due to sun exposure? Does this ever happen? Or should I just start preparing myself for the worst. Thanks in advance.

Guest mariewoltz25411697

Think this issue logically. At this point your grafts are completely rooted under the scalp. I don't think these are any different from natural hair in resting phase. So would you have permanent hair loss if you get exposed to sun for 8mins? If so, everyone would be bald by now.

I do appreciate that logic and I'm hopping it's right, I just had a bit of a panic when my newly sprouted hairs fell out where the slight discolouration on my scalp is which led me to believe the sun has had some effect on them. In fact another one shed in that region today. There's nothing I can do about it now if it has caused any damage so I'm just going to chill out and see where I am in 6 months. Thanks for the reply.