What to do about Receding Hairline & Widows Peak

So I've been told by some people that my hairline is receding and I've noticed it myself a couple years ago. Looking back at some old photographs of myself, this is especially true since I can tell that I've come to have a widows peak.

So naturally, like many of you, I've started stressing over this and seeing some photographs of myself recently I either; have acquired a more receded hairline or I've become paranoid about it after people have pointed it out to me. One thing is for sure though, some recent pics of myself, my forehead does sometimes look bigger, though not by much and it always depends on the angle.

I have some questions now about my receding hairline, baldness, genetics, how to keep my hairline/stop hair thinning on my crown and potentially regrow my hair. To make this easy, I'll provide some photographs of myself below in yearly stages. I'm 27 years for the record and my hairline has began to shift since I've been around 20 years old.

Pictures:

Me @ 18 years of age:

2002.jpg

Me @ 21 years of age:

2005.jpg

Me today at 27:

2011-top.jpg

2011-mid.jpg

2011-mid3.jpg

2011-side2.jpg

Exact comparison from 2009 and 2011:

2009 vs. 2011

1) Genetics:

Grandfathers hairline in mid 20s:

granpa1.jpg

Grandfathers hairline in mid 70s:

granpa3.jpg

My grandfather on my mothers side had the exact same situation as I do at the exact same time in his life. However as you can see from the photographs, he never went bald, just got the Widows Peak and it stuck with him for life. Neither my dad or mom have this, and my grandfather on my dads side had no baldness whatsoever. My moms hair, however, is thin and so is mine (a little) on my crown and generally on the top. There is no one in my family that I know of who's gone partially bald or completely bald from either side of my family and thats also going back to further generations passed my grandfathers. I've seen photographs, and everyones got a full head of hair. Can MPB still skip that many generations if there was someone with a bald head in my family a few generations ago?

How likely or even possible is it for me to go completely bald on my crown and top? Given the genetics and family history, it looks like I'll be stuck with my grandfathers hairline. But is it still possible for baldness to continue? It seems that in the last few years my receding hairline has slowed down and remained more or less the same. I guess my early 20s the receding hair line kicked in and its now been sitting still (or has it?). Whats interesting is that the very bottom of my point of my widows peak seems to be more or less in line with my old fuller hairline but the rest has gradually risen, making my forehead look bigger.

2) Rogaine/Kirkland/Other Minoxidil products:

If I should go ahead with Minoxidil, a few other questions arise:

-While I know Minoxidil will not regrow any hair from the Widows Peak, I am hopeful that it will thicken the hairline and use extra hair to mask the widows peak. Would this optimism be fair???

-Can I expect regrowth in my hairline if I apply minoxidil and omit the other areas, or is it necessary to apply everywhere on the top of scalp?

-I have heard Minoxidil stops working after about a year. Is there any truth to this? Has anyone been on Minoxidil for years at a time and maintained their results?

-Will I need 2% or 5% for my condition or should I start off with 2% and move to 5% should it stop working after the proclaimed year?

-Is application of 2 times daily absolutely necessary or is it only for more severe cases of baldness?

-After results (if any) can I apply Minoxidil once daily instead of two?

-If I stop taking Minoxidil, I know that male pattern baldness carries on from that point forward (or where it was before using minoxidil) and any new hairs are lost that have grown back. But, for someone like me who isn't exhibiting baldness (just the hairline and some thinning) is there any risk of progressing MPB after using minoxidil? As in, would it deteriorate the hair follicles more than they are already after quitting Minoxidil and further MPB?

-How does Kirkland 2 or 5% measure up to Rogaine? Is it basically the same? Rogaine is fairly more expensive, but I want to pay for results.

3) Propecia:

I've heard this drug causes permanent sexual dysfunction. I've also heard from some doctors who perform hair transplants that about 2-3% suffer from sexual dysfunction. Is it permanent? Or does sexual function improve once an individual stops taking the drug? This drug really scares me, its one thing to lose my hair, but another to lose my manhood.

4) Saw Palmetto:

I've started taking 2 tablets a day of 160mg of Saw Palmetto (85-95% free fatty acid). I know its supposed to work like Propecia but is significantly weaker. Would this be a viable solution to stop/slow down a receding hairline or male pattern baldness? With this, I'd be more comfortable taking than propecia knowing it wont cause sexual dysfunction but at least help retain my hairline. I've only been taking Saw Palmetto for a couple weeks.

5) Nizoral:

I've heard nizoral can thicken hair and some people have had success with it. Does the body/scalp/hair follicles get used to nizoral and eventually lose its effect on thickening hair? If so, any other products that work like this that I can interchange between Nizoral and something else?

6) Hair Transplant:

This is the big one.

*If* my receding hairline has come to a stop in the last couple years, or has slowed down, is a hair transplant a viable option for me at this stage in my life? About how many grafts would I need? My hair isnt very thick on top, so to match it I dont suspect I'd need a whole lot. I've watched consultation sessions with HT doctors that say that once an individual reaches the age of 35 and up, their hair loss stabilizes and a hair transplant with less future complications can be determined. I wouldn't want a hair transplant NOW only to see a few years down the road further recession above the HT area. But given these comparison photographs; 2009 vs. 2011 (theyre pretty much dead on in terms of comparison) it looks like the last 2 years of a change have been significantly slower than the previous years when my recession started (it seems as if between 20 and 24 years of age things picked up and stayed put).

This being said, for just covering up a widows peak, and possibly lowering the hairline, what is a ballpark figure of such a procedure? Can I expect shelling out $3,000 US/CAD (our dollar is on par nowadays) or can it go beyond $5,000? My hair, like any other part of my appearance and general health has NO price, so I'm willing to pay, but if theres a way to save a few grand I'd be more than happy to.

7) Other remedies?

Can anyone suggest any other remedies on growing back hair, even in the smallest of ways possible? Particular vitamins (i read somewhere Iron supplements may help) or something else?

I've thought about how to go about this whole ordeal of mine and I'm leaning towards starting off with Minoxidil 2%, Nizoral and Saw Palmetto tablets. If this proves ineffective, I know for sure I will stress about my hairline and consider a hair transplant but the dangers of further recession really concern me as well.

Thank you *GREATLY* to everyone for any kind of help, I know this thread is a long one, so I don't expect all the answers on all the points, but I would really appreciate some mainly on minoxidil and hair transplants.

Thanks again!!!

I advise propecia, but just keep an eye on it if it is not bothering you. I have been on propecia for 11 months with no real side effects.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Give Fin a shot for a year or so and see what it does. After that you can decide whether or not you want a HT or not. Give this time. No rush.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

3 replies in a row, all of them Propecia, the only remedy that I really want to avoid given the sexual dysfunction horror stories.

Are you guys recommending it because it helps receding hairlines specifically or because it 'generally' just works? I'm willing to try Kirkland's minoxidil (doesnt cost much).

Right now I'm on Saw Palmetto 320gm (daily) and Nizoral (2-3 times a week). I've only seriously started my remedies two weeks ago and I'm still doing as much research as possible.

It works. Been on it 6 years and no problems. The side-effects happen to very few people. If you get them, stop the medication and everything will go back to normal. Saw Palmetto won't do anything. Nizoral might be of some help.

Fin is the best thing medication out there to fight hair loss... along with Rogaine Foam.

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

Fin is the best thing medication out there to fight hair loss... along with Rogaine Foam.

If the Rogaine Foam works, does it work forever so as long as its still being applied? I'd rather use a topical solution rather than the pills. But I've heard from people that Rogaine stops working after a certain period of time. If true, that SUCKS and my only real remedy would be Propecia (excluding a hair transplant).

Buddy, you're already showing a NW 5 pattern. It's very possible that you inherited a pattern that you haven't been able to locate in your family, but you are absolutely experiencing MPB. For the vast majority of people, hair loss is progressive. Perhaps you will be fortunate and maintain what you have for the next 50 years, but it's far more likely that you're going to be at least a NW 5, and perhaps even a NW 6 or 7.

I have to agree with TC17. You are showing a five. The rogain is not the same kind of treatment as the propecia. You can get 5mg finasteride with a perscription for about $9 at Wal-Mart. Cut them into 4ths. Read all you can on this web site. So many people on here wish they would have started sooner. That is what convinced me to go ahead and take it.

You do not appear to be as lucky as your grandfather. You comments suggest that you ONLY have a receeding hair line. Unfortunately, that does not appear to be the case.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Rogaine works differently than Fin. But you have to keep using both indefinitely if you want to preserve what you have left. There are claims that using both simultaneously can have a synergistic effect. If you are serious about keeping what you have then get on both. But if you are already so scared of Propecia you might have already psyched yourself into getting sides... there's only one way to find out.

TC17 is right. Hair loss is progressive. So see if you can keep what you have and take it from there. Getting a transplant without meds right now would be playing with serious fire.

So many people on here wish they would have started sooner. That is what convinced me to go ahead and take it.

So true. Wish I started when I was 20... not 25.

Rogaine works differently than Fin. But you have to keep using both indefinitely if you want to preserve what you have left. There are claims that using both simultaneously can have a synergistic effect. If you are serious about keeping what you have then get on both. But if you are already so scared of Propecia you might have already psyched yourself into getting sides... there's only one way to find out.

Are there any real numbers of the side effects people have from using Propecia? Dr. Cotterill (a local hair transplant doctor in Toronto who was an investigator for Merck Corporation on finasteride) said about 2-3% suffer from side effects.

Thats a relatively small number, but can you guys confirm these numbers?

In terms of my hair loss, can I expect regrowth in my hairline and crown or JUST stopping hair loss by using propecia/rogaine or a combo of both (or does it vary from person to person?).

I haven't done a study myself so I can't confirm it. But I do remember reading that a similar percentage of men on the placebo also experienced sexual side effects.

The meds usually do best for the crown/mid section. But every once in awhile you'll see a hairline case of regrowth. That's pretty rare tho.

i would suggest go on finasteride,if you feel side effects coming,stop it...all the effects are reversible imo.so you got nothing to loose my friend GIVE IT A SHOT.

And sorry to say i see a pattern developing too towards a higher NW scale than your grandfather.

• 3 years later...
  • 5 years later...
18 hours ago, Swan said:

Hair transplant by FUE (3700) by micromotor with Dr Ozlem BICER

Great Doctor and Great team,

I wanted to share my experience here...to thank Dr BICER and to help others who are in my situation

:)

I wanted to write this review to thank Dr BICER on the great work; as I am very satisfied with the experience and I am having very good results of my hair transplant

I am a European banker in my 40s, and I wanted to do a hair transplant due to hair loss issues.

I needed it for my career and for me personally.

My wife ( a professional and detail oriented engineer) did a very intensive search for the Best Doctors in Turkey as my health and safety comes first .(thank you)

The criteria’s to select Dr Bicer were:

Professional Doctor

Licenced doctor

Affiliated Doctor

Doctor Participating in Forums

Member Doctor in associations

International Doctor

Professional experience dedicated to the profession of Hair Transplant

Human approach and dedicating appropriate time

Comfortable Doctor that gives Trust

Dedicated Doctor to her patient

One patient per day- not a factory

Good and positive International Review in different forums

The operation took one full day where I was the only patient that, all went as planned, easy with no complications, no pain at all, ( just some discomfort for a couple of minutes) where Dr Bicer controlled and ensured that all is going well and did the important parts herself.

Some discomfort to sleep for the first few days( no pain) and first results start to show in a couple of weeks

I am happy with the results and I recommend only to do a hair transplant with a very good doctor.

Thank you again Doctor BICER

Dr BICER.jpg

Dr BICER 2.jpg

Why on earth are you posting this on this thread