Surgeon selection and FUT vs FUE

I'll spare everyone my sob story, I'm sure it's similar to most...

I've been doing research on receiving a HT for the past 2 years and I think I'm ready to pull the trigger.

I have visited 5 different surgeons, 2 of them being Dr. Bernstein and Dr. Dorin. The others aren't even worth mentioning. I preferred Dr. Dorin because he seemed to be a bit warmer and actually spent the time to analyze my situation and give me a few different options. Dr. Berstein, while I'm sure world class, just brushed me off.

Now, from what I've read about Dr. Dorin and what I've seen, his results seem to be all positive. It's just that there aren't a LOT of results, pictures, blogs etc.. for me to review. One Dr. that seems to stand out, with an exceptional wealth of results in this community, is Dr. Hasson. My main problem is that their clinic is too far away for me to visit, and I'm not really sure (based on my experience) that a Dr. can give a truely thorough consult without actually seeing the patient. What do you all think?

Next. Based on my situation it looks like I will need around 1400-1750 grafts and will likely need another one in the near future if the procedure causes shock loss. So... the age old question (just looking for opinions, I know the choice is mine) FUT or FUE? If I need another one (and even one after that) it seems like the surgeon would need to resort to FUT at some point. What do you guys think? FUE seems extraordinarilly expensive... something like 15k for the procedure listed above.

Mick,

I completely agree with your description of Dr. Dorin. He is a world-class surgeon, and a very good guy. I just had a procedure with him 2 weeks ago, and he was very caring and professional, both during the procedure and in my post-op visits.

I already had a scar from a prior procedure, so I did FUT, and had the old scar removed in the process.

If you do a forum search, you should be able to find a lot of results for Dr. Dorin.

Here are a couple of other links/searches you can try:

Patient Sites for Dr. Dorin

Google site:hairrestorationnetwork.com dorin

Dr. Hasson is very highly regarded, and for good reason. You didn't say where you were located (I'm guessing the NY area based on the doctors you mentioned), but most people will tell you to not let travel be an issue. Another top surgeon that is closer to you (albeit not that close) is Dr. Rahal in Ottawa. I think he comes to NY on occasion to do consults.

Can you post some recent photos, so we can get a better idea of your situation.

It's long been a mantra on the forums that you shouldn't let distance play too much of a role in choosing a surgeon. People often travel from one side of the world to the other to go to their doctor of choice.

As for online consultations, obviously meeting in person is better, but generally the surgeon can get a good idea of how many grafts you need by looking at some good quality photographs. For surgeons who attract patients from around the world, this is standard. When you meet on the day of surgery (or day before), in the vast majority of cases there won't be any surprises that will effect the surgery plan.

If you've been quoted 1400-1750 grafts then your hairloss is probably quite minor. I imagine you're looking for hairline work. Permanent shockloss of miniaturized hairs in the recipient area is possible, but that is rarely (if ever) grounds for a second procedure.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Drs. Dorin and Rahal both have outstanding reputations and are close to you. You are doing the right thing by conducting a lot of research. I would not let travel get in the way of your final decision. You should select the surgeon that you feel the most comfortable with in the end. As long as you choose among the top surgeons you will be in good hands.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

Thanks for your input everyone. I am looking for hairline work. I guess I am leaning more in the direction of FUE, but it appears that the survival rate isn't quite as high. Also, is it feasible to be able to use a #1 on a clipper after the completion of an (good) FUE procedure?

Mick

If you are looking for hairline work then you really need to consider Dr Rahal...I think he is generally considered the best with hairlines..I am like you, I had a lot of consults, ALL with coalition Drs, dont ever waste your time with another doctor thats not recomended on this site! Anyway, after about seven consults I decided to go wih Dr Rahal! I will be having surgery in January 2012. I live in Arkansas so as you can see I didnt let travel affect my decision, as well as you shouldnt. Continue to do your research, when you find the right doctor you will know!

Good Luck on your journey!

Oh yea...FUE VS FUT?? thats a tough one..in my case its easy..FUT..I think the graft survival rate and growth are much better..also, its a lot cheaper than FUE..

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

I have visited 5 different surgeons, 2 of them being Dr. Bernstein and Dr. Dorin. The others aren't even worth mentioning. I preferred Dr. Dorin because he seemed to be a bit warmer and actually spent the time to analyze my situation and give me a few different options. Dr. Berstein, while I'm sure world class, just brushed me off.

Now, from what I've read about Dr. Dorin and what I've seen, his results seem to be all positive. It's just that there aren't a LOT of results, pictures, blogs etc.. for me to review. One Dr. that seems to stand out, with an exceptional wealth of results in this community, is Dr. Hasson. My main problem is that their clinic is too far away for me to visit, and I'm not really sure (based on my experience) that a Dr. can give a truely thorough consult without actually seeing the patient. What do you all think?

Next. Based on my situation it looks like I will need around 1400-1750 grafts and will likely need another one in the near future if the procedure causes shock loss. So... the age old question (just looking for opinions, I know the choice is mine) FUT or FUE? If I need another one (and even one after that) it seems like the surgeon would need to resort to FUT at some point. What do you guys think?

Mick Reno,

Dr. Dorin and Dr. True really give their patients the time of day that so many other docs don't. Feeling supported before, during and after a procedure is of the utmost importance. I can't emphasize this enough. It's the one variable that any doctor can and should control...

I can appreciate why so many stress the importance of not letting location determine your doctor. Really, I get it and I respect it. However, most people don't live in NYC...

When you live in NYC, or the tri-state area, I personally can't understand why you would even bother traveling. There are simply too many top quality choices here. Not to mention the all important in-person consultation, as well as the in-person follow up visits.

I did online consults with H&W, SMG, Rahal and Path, which were great. However, the impersonal nature of the online consult just didn't sit right with me... call me paranoid. It's a real shame too because I'm sure they all would have given me a good consult, but what can you do? It took me four in person consultations at T&D before I felt comfortable enough to choose a doctor. Again, call me paranoid! lol!

As per your other questions...

Dr. Dorin once told me that he and Dr. True get extremely high yields from FUE, almost on par with FUT. They're not the only docs who claim as much. So I wouldn't worry about the low yield of FUE too much. However, for a procedure of your magnitude, I personally wouldn't take the FUE route.

My reasoning is that if Dorin estimates that you need 1,700 grafts, then you'll probably have to go back for a second pass because T&D are usually on the conservative side. I suspect that if Dorin recommends 1,700 grafts, then H&W will estimate something like 2,500 grafts! In my initial consultation, Dr. Dorin recommended 1,500 grafts for me, H&W recommended 2,500!

So the real question for you is whether you want to go conservative or aggressive? I think the answer lies in your questions...

You mentioned that you were particularly worried about shock loss, which is a legitimate concern. Thus, if you're so worried about shock loss then you should do everything possible to minimize it. If I understand correctly, the safest way to minimize shock loss is for the scalp (donor and recipient) to experience the least amount of trauma. Therefore, the more conservative procedures experience the least amount of shock loss in general.

I took the conservative route and I experienced virtually no shock loss at all. So based on what you've described as your personal situation, goals and values, I'd say go with a conservative doctor.

Lastly, sorry to hear about your experience with Bernstein. If you're seeking more in-person consultations, I suggest that you see both Dr. True and Dr. Dorin.

While you're at it, take the 6 train up a few more stops and consult with Dr. Carlos Wesley. He'll give you an excellent, in-depth consultation as well... one of the best I had! I also had a good consultation with Dr. Epstein and I hear really good things about Dr. Beehner and Dr. Pawlinga not far upstate. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Corvettester

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Dorin

1,696 FUT with Dr. Dorin on October 18, 2010.

1,305 FUT with Dr. Dorin on August 10, 2011.

565 FUE with Dr. Dorin on September 14, 2012.

There are great doctors in NY and there are great doctors outside of NY. By all means look into both. Take your time and research your butt off.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Dr. Feller is not only one of the top HT docs in the world, but he is an innovator for FUE methods. (And he is in New York.) I've had both strip and fue with him.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com