White "balls" when showering after HT

Alright so I know that this issue has been talked about before on this forum but I wanted to bring it to the forefront of the discussion board again. My HT was about 2 weeks ago and every single time I shower I notice this little white balls (for lack of better description) that seem to just appear around my newly transplanted hair. These "balls" or crusts are fatty-like and squishy. Now it was on day 12 that I even touched my recipient area in the front to try to gently get the scabs/crusts off. I know it is normal for hair to come off along with the scabs but these little white things don't look like my idea of a scab at all. I've heard that it is normal for these white things to come off when you're working that scabs off and that it's also ok for them to have hair in them. But what exactly are they? Is is just wet skin that sort of swells up and turns white or possibly the very top of the grafts? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!

- 1 HT ~ 3000 grafts

- Regimen:

Propecia 1X daily

Alright so I know that this issue has been talked about before on this forum but I wanted to bring it to the forefront of the discussion board again. My HT was about 2 weeks ago and every single time I shower I notice this little white balls (for lack of better description) that seem to just appear around my newly transplanted hair. These "balls" or crusts are fatty-like and squishy. Now it was on day 12 that I even touched my recipient area in the front to try to gently get the scabs/crusts off. I know it is normal for hair to come off along with the scabs but these little white things don't look like my idea of a scab at all. I've heard that it is normal for these white things to come off when you're working that scabs off and that it's also ok for them to have hair in them. But what exactly are they? Is is just wet skin that sort of swells up and turns white or possibly the very top of the grafts? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!

- 1 HT ~ 3000 grafts

- Regimen:

Propecia 1X daily

Hair-

In all likelihood, what you are noticing is the tissue that surrounds the hair shaft of a newly transplanted graft. When placing the grafts, the skin level of the grafted hair should be riding just a bit above- say, .5 mm above the surrounding recipient area skin. It is generally observed that placing the grafts so that the tissue surrounding the graft is perfectly flush with the surrounding skin may result in "pitting", as the tissue will actually shrink up a bit as it matures. So, when this "shrinking" happens and your grafts are riding just a bit high, the tissue will shrink down so as to become flush with the surrounding area. Just how much the grafts should be placed above is all part of the quality control that is part of the process; Grafts riding too high may result in a "cobblestone" effect.

Hope that helps.

Timothy Carman, MD ABHRS

President, (ABHRS)
ABHRS Board of Directors

Yeah is it bad to experience this sort of thing? I mean I can't see how there's any way that the follicles popped out because I never even touched my scalp until my 12th day out of surgery and my doc said by then I pretty much couldnt even pull em out at that point. Plus I never saw any blood which I heard is a tell-tale sign that you lost a graft

- 1 HT ~ 3000 grafts

- Regimen:

Propecia 1X daily

@Hairisthere

I am 20 days post operation and i am facing the same issue.. Although the with balls are less in number than the scalps but with them comes out the transplanted hairs and this has freaked me out a little but after consulting with my doc about the issue, i am relieved as he said it is pretty much normal and 40% of your hairs would come out along with the scalp.. Even i used to think that those transplanted hairs are coming out along with the roots but he says that is not correct and i am so relieved now..

Regards,

Javy.

Done done.. Check out my blog..

2785 grafts by Dr. Humayun Mohammad

My Hair Loss WebLog

Hair, Javy-

Again this is normal. Not to worry. No follicles are "popping out"- everything is "glued in" just fine and all sounds as it is proceeding on schedule. And it's also normal, I think, to be a bit nervous about the whole thing from a patient perspective, as this is a procedure one absolutely wants to go exactly according to plan. The good news is, in the right hands, the beauty of this procedure is that it is VERY reproducible and VERY successful in the vast majority of cases.

Grow well.

Timothy Carman, MD ABHRS

President, (ABHRS)
ABHRS Board of Directors

It's always been my theory that these little white balls are simply some scabs that are softened with moisture from the shower. I used to get them too and it is perfectly normal.

Ever notice when you have a scab somewhere on your body and after prolonged exposure to water it turns white? Same thing. You have nothing to worry about.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Alright thanks a lot guys....I feel a lot better now as I was getting pretty worried for a while there. I'm usually never this cautious/OCD about other surgeries or broken bones that I've had but hairs are so delicate that it's hard not to want to baby them and be extremely careful!

- 1 HT ~ 3000 grafts

- Regimen:

Propecia 1X daily

Dr. Timothy Carman,

Thank god it is normal.. I talked to my doc and he said 40% of the hairs will come out with the scalps and that's in very normal so i am a very relieved man..

Thank you for your words and sharing your knowledge,

Regards,

Javy.

Done done.. Check out my blog..

2785 grafts by Dr. Humayun Mohammad

My Hair Loss WebLog

• 4 years later...

Hi guys, I know this discussion is a little dated. It has helped me as I have just experienced something similar. I will attach a photo and would love it if someone could let me know if this is normal and what they experienced. I am 11 days post op and had a hair come out with a bulb or crust attached to it this morning. Thanks in advance

Hair Restoration Social Network - Hair Loss and Transplant Photos

It sounds like the crusts are coming off at this point in time. Many of the crusts can have the graft hair come out with them.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY