I have seen so many poor results lately...it really scares me

Spanker

I am planning a proceedure soon...I recently added the number of grafts I want so I am trying to hurry up and save a little bit more cause I want to pay cash.

In thes, "I have decided to do it but waiting for a little more money" phase of waiting I have seen a lot of poor results and I have to say it is very concerning and scary. For somereason today I am feeling a bit of extra anxiety...:confused:

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Hey Spanker,

I'm right there with you buddy. It seems like they come and go in cycles. However, you can take solace in the fact that you're among the best prepared and well educated of any of the pre-ht patients out there. You certainly have realistic expectations and won't go through a lot of the anxiety others do post-op. I've seen a lot of your postings on the forum and you definitely have done your due diligence.

I just pasted my 7 month mark and I'm still in the "ugly duckling" phase, so yes, I'm anxious as well. All I can do at this point is just ride it out and hope for the best. But yes, it's kind of hard to ignore all the bad results lately.

Unfortunately, none of the "poor result" cycles had passed through the forums in the three months I was researching before my HT-- so all these new cycles are scaring the bejesus out of me. I simply didn't imagine there would be so many. However, it's really my fault for not being more thorough. In any event, I don't regret having my HT.

Have you decided upon your choice of physician? Who and when? Remember all the exceptional results my friend! I'm excited for you!

Corvettester

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Dorin

1,696 FUT with Dr. Dorin on October 18, 2010.

1,305 FUT with Dr. Dorin on August 10, 2011.

565 FUE with Dr. Dorin on September 14, 2012.

I am pretty solid on SMG. I am wanting a few more grafts than originally I thought so I am going to save a little longer. I want to pay cash. I hope that my expectations are reasonable if wanting a solid looking transplant is reasonable. I thought it was, but like I said, now I am feeling a lot of anxiety. I think I am fine on the wait, mature hair line, etc. But is asking and expecting a high yield transplant that doesn't look thin asking too much?

No one gets an ht thinking as long as they have some coverage that still makes them look bald them its all good. Do they? I really thought that ht was a good safety net in case I ever really lost a lot, but I feel concerned now. I feel like I could get a good ht now, but worry if I advance if the docs can stay ahead to where I feel like starting the ht journey was a good idea. Just feeling a little defeated today I guess. THAnks for the positive attitude tho!

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I agree with you boys & I share the same anxiety with a transplant coming up & already booked. Seeing poor yielding or a complete failure scenario recently has sent shivers down my spine. I almost don't care about the financial side of it- just hope the results becomes successful!

What's disturbing is when you hear someone on here complaining about their poor result & it seems genuine, yet they get attacked by certain individuals. The blame is at times thrown at the victims. Not to say that the doctors are at fault either.

But how does attacking or being sharp tongued to the victim helps them or help anyone sharing the same concerns.

Edited by Dutch

Spanker,

You made a solid choice with SMG. I think your expectation of having a good HT that isn't see-through is very realistic, to say the least. You should definitely expect and demand a high yield transplant, in my opinion.

Dutch,

I couldn't agree with you more. I've seen a lot of blaming the victim even when they do sound genuine and conciliatory. I mean, it's different when it's one of those drive-by, hit and run, first-time-poster type of threads. Those threads should be deleted outright. However, when you got a guy looking for support, and all the fanboys start attacking him because he won't sugarcoat his bad result, then I have to take issue with that. It's simply inexcusable.

Corvettester

I'm experiencing exactly the same.

I'm no newbie to hairtransplant as I've done 2 so far and been browsing this forum for years.

I don't expect routinely top results from unknown or even average clinics,however seeing more than usual poor results from the high end clinics recently has made me very nervous as I'm planning for my next session very soon.

it's gonna be a massive investment and I just can't afford a possible poor result financily,graft-wise,and psychologically..

The loudest voice in the room isn't always the correct one. I get the feeling that people with poor results are more likely to post on a forum for comfort/venting. Don't worry yourself thinking forum posts speak for all HTs.

The recent discussions about transplanted hair and donor areas thinning are scaring me more than anything. I have complete confidence in the doctor I have chosen, but even the best doctors can't control this thinning issue, which at least a couple of the top doctors have said they see with some level of frequency. This has apparently been the topic at a lot of the conferences also. This issue is really making apprehensive about moving forward.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

The loudest voice in the room isn't always the correct one. I get the feeling that people with poor results are more likely to post on a forum for comfort/venting. Don't worry yourself thinking forum posts speak for all HTs.

Tonycc,

The overwhelming, vast majority of posts on the HTN are positive and detail good results. I simply don't see any evidence supporting your claim.

Corvettester

Dutch and Corvettester,

I wholeheartedly agree with you guys. I do not like fan boys needlessly attacking and questioning patients when the patient clearly seems to have genuine and valid reason to complain. These fan-boys do more harm to a doctors reputation than a poor result. They just make a doctor seem dishonest and the one who is afraid to take the responsibility of a poor result. Fan boys MUST understand that people are NOT stupid. They know whats going on.

Don't flame me, but most recommended physicians by now know exactly how to perform excellent transplants. From donor extraction to graft handling to implanting. Unless they have a new graft planter with little experience, that's the main reason I can think of for poor growth. A lot of poor results come from a patients physiology, not following post op instructions, and/or heavy smoking plus other factors.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

RCWest,

I agree with some of what u wrote, like i said some. Some here can try and make us believe that every clinic that is recommended by this site is trying to do what is in the best interest for the patient which is not the case. I guess we'll slide stuff like this under the carpet and try and convince the rest of us of your B.S statement!!

Don't flame me, but most recommended physicians by now know exactly how to perform excellent transplants. From donor extraction to graft handling to implanting. Unless they have a new graft planter with little experience, that's the main reason I can think of for poor growth. A lot of poor results come from a patients physiology, not following post op instructions, and/or heavy smoking plus other factors.

RcWest,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this topic.

So far, two separate Coalition doctors and have told me in person that they don't believe that half of the docs in the coalition belong there and that I should not take the coalition status seriously into consideration when choosing my doctor. Funny thing is that these two docs usually make most people's top doc shortlist.

Bear in mind that I didn't ask them their opinion about the coalition. In both cases, they went out of their way to give me their opinion of the coalition and the doctors who comprise it after I mentioned to them that I'm a member of the HTN.

Corvettester

There have been a few bad results shown on the forums recently. But how many of them are from SMG? Zero. You've made a good call Spanker. No need to worry.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

There have been a few bad results shown on the forums recently. But how many of them are from SMG? Zero. You've made a good call Spanker. No need to worry.

Aaron1234,

Actually, one of the two patient complaints posted this week was a patient of Dr. Paul Shapiro, username: MitchJohnson1.

I originally thought that it was one of those "hit and run" type of posts because it was the posters very first post, no pics, no details, etc... However, Dr. Shapiro chimed in and said that he believed the poster was authentic.

Unfortunately, the OP provided no photos, no details, no response so far, no nothing! So until I see some pics or a more detailed explanation, I'm going to remain skeptical. I'm not trying to diss SMG, I'm just sayin...

Corvettester

p.s. From one blonde to another: your results are truly enviable!

Edited by corvettester

Ah, no prob corv. I missed it and will look for it.

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

and thanks for the p.s. props. 8) I am quite pleased with the results myself. Round 2 is roughly 5 weeks away. Getting pumped.

RcWest,

So far, two separate Coalition doctors and have told me in person that they don't believe that half of the docs in the coalition belong there and that I should not take the coalition status seriously into consideration when choosing my doctor. Funny thing is that these two docs usually make most people's top doc shortlist.

Bear in mind that I didn't ask them their opinion about the coalition. In both cases, they went out of their way to give me their opinion of the coalition and the doctors who comprise it after I mentioned to them that I'm a member of the HTN.

Corvettester

I completely agree on the Coalition statement. A lot of the doctors in the Coalition post very conservative results. Then their are other doctors who deserve Coalition status who are never mentioned. In my opinion Dr. Panine should be in there as he regularly posts results way better than half the Coalition docs.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

and thanks for the p.s. props. 8) I am quite pleased with the results myself. Round 2 is roughly 5 weeks away. Getting pumped.

What's left to improve? Maybe the crown?

I hope you're not getting greedy!

Corvettester

Like rc was saying they will be lots of patients with good results who can't be arsed going on forums at all and also for the last ten years of forum reading one thing I have noticed is lots of people start out making blogs and posting pictures but get to the 8 month mark or so with good results and leave the forums without posting there good results and move on with their happy lives I know this because I did it my self and have witnessed countless people do it too. If you Randomly look through the htn picture websites you'll find most are incomplete that's a fact. On the other hand a unhappy patient will be mentally hurt at 12 months and will definitely post his bad results to make others aware and try make his surgeon face up for the poor work.

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

I agree that many who have poor results may not come back when they are not solid contributing members to show acceptable results.

View Spanker's Website