Dr Feller - 7th Jan 2011

destorius

Hi

Background

After many years lurking around this (and other) forums, I thought it only right "to give something back"! I am 26 years old and first notice I was receeding at 20 and like most people I FREAKED out! Well the good news to all those young hairloss victims out there - life moves on and its very possible to keep what hair you have!

I have been on Fin since 2005 and it has slowed my hairloss right down but despite this I made the decision to get a small amount of work done. I obviously did my research and I decided that for me, FUE was the way forward. Once I decided on this, only a few doctors remained which I would consider (which is annoying as I am UK based) - when I emailed Spex (and he replied the sameday) it was clear in my mind that Feller was for me.

Pre-Op

So Spex very kindly reserved me a date and held it whilst I got approval from work (Oil companies are not known for quick responses ;)) and then I paid the deposit. Obviously, not having met either the doctor or Spex (though I'm sure I could have if I had wanted to) this is a pretty daunting process...! Having said that, Spex did say that I could have a chat with the doctor beforehand if this would put my mind at rest - so all in all no problems from me. I then did the relevant blood work and paid the balance. No problems whatsoever with communications (I add this due to recent posts) and all staff were very helpful.

Day of Op

So after staying in the Ramada (one of a number of hotels recommended) I made my way to my 8am appointment with a nervous but reassuring girlfriend in tow! I met the doctor and was immediately put at ease - he is just a decent guy, no BS and explained the day ahead. I then signed the disclaimer...I wasn't aware I needed to sign one as it hadn't been mentioned beforehand but it all seemed fair enough. At this point I should mention that he was very open and honest to me about FUE yields potentially being less then FUT and how it isn't for everyone. Nothing I didn't already know, but it was almost reassuring that he didn't try and "spin" me a line!

He also said that my hair was in great shape (not too much further thinning and good donor characteristics) and it may well be the case that I wouldn't need further work done (he couldn't see me becoming an advanced NW). I was asked what I thought of the hairline and if I wanted it lower (he could still make out the original hairline), but seeing as he is the master at this sort of stuff I said I would go with what he thought.

So....I made it into the doctors chair to receive the "dreaded injections" - which didn't hurt at all really! I then placed my head through a hole of a chair similar to one you would receive a massage and the work began....

I'm not going to lie to you this is an uncomfortable experience..your jaw aches after about 15 mins and I was in the chair for 3 hours! That said, I felt no pain whatsoever in the donor region (the Doc lept checking I was ok)...in fact I fell asleep so it can't have been all bad.... The doctor works in "rounds", so he will score around a load of individual FU's and then he will call the nurses in to extract them (there were 5 rounds in total). In between each round I was able to stretch out my neck and jaw.

Once this was done I then had my head shaved (this is optional but I went for a #1 all over to help blend it in) and the nurses went about putting the graphs in with Doc supervising throughout. The nurses were lovely, so kind to me and kept checking how I was and finding out about me (similar to if you go to a decent barbers!). After another 1-2 hours I was all done! I went out to see the girlfriend who was suitably shocked at my shaved and blooded appearance! :)

A nurse gave myself and my girlfriend some lunch and explained what would happen post-op. I was then invited to ask the Doc any further questions before they ordered us a cab and we were on our way! On the way back my girlfriend told me all about how nice Dr Feller and all his staff were to her (esp the receptionist Sharon) by keeping her up-to date on how I was, reassuring her that it was going well and I was an "ideal" patient...they even put a blanket over her when she fell asleep! This sort of thing means a great deal to me and really put her mind at rest.

So that's it really...no pain afterwards really with the exception of sleeping upright for a few days. As you may tell, I literally couldn't be happier with the experience..who knows how the Op will turn out but I am confident I couldn't have been in better hands.

before.jpg.6c740d31c4a028e0a8e59379a91afa88.jpg

5b32cd07d6f65_beforewithhairline.jpg.e618055247e5832d29bcd0f9c7ea238a.jpg

afterleft.jpg.e0911057396690188c9a43e055e42b1c.jpg

afterright.jpg.f537c8443827188faf804a01273c9c6f.jpg

afterdoner.jpg.7a6ccf7fa4d7f2d11474bb3cda70278d.jpg

How many grafts was this?

Also, Spex, it doesn't look like he when all the way in to the strong part of the hair. There seems to be a thin line of "missing" grafts close to the strong part of the hairline. I have seen other docs do this too. Is there a reason for this?

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

destorius,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and photos with the community. I hope you will continue to post photos of your progress.

Best of luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Yes, Dr. Feller shaves the area completely down so it looks like there is no hair there.

Edited by hairthere

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

• 1 month later...
1010 graphs. Yes I know what u mean about not going to what looks like the existing hairline, but the doctor shaved that down- there is still hair there I believe.

So there is a Feller office in the UK? I ask because I entered my info on the Keller website and mentioned that I am from NYC but am stationed overseas currently in Europe but will be in the states for good in a few months. I would like to get a procedure done stateside but they copied SPEX in the email so I am baffled right now.

• 2 weeks later...

4 Month - pics without flash as they give a better idea of progress. Things are starting to happen on the right side - left still lagging behind. Very early days obviously and happy to date.

5b32cdac6a107_4month.jpg.9ff616584cfaaa12b8efaa5c9b65b1c5.jpg

5b32cdac90007_4monthleftnoflash.jpg.7b7c0d048637f2f051952227d5628769.jpg

5b32cdaca676b_4monthnoflashright.jpg.7bd136bbc0b22ce88029292c47db1b48.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hi All

Please see my update attached. I have kept the same lighting for the first 3 and then put some different lighting in on the last 2 (another room in my house) - im keeping everything crossed that it thickens up alot in the next 5.5 months......!

Hair is slightly shorter in these pics then before (Grade #2 as opposed to #3) as I couldnt really grow it out as it is far too thin on the left side to style as of yet.

Honest opinons requested!

5b32cebbc093f_Front6.5month.jpg.3ffbd57b6447449b2c4a34496f8429a5.jpg

5b32cebbd5e6f_Left6.5Month.jpg.e0a22ee154e5af96da74af9d83e8e241.jpg

5b32cebbe8e3b_Right6.5Month.jpg.db1dd15e9dbcb167da239da6ade4b2ed.jpg

5b32cebc08348_differentlightleft.jpg.094444c26a5ef1dc773298bd9de39745.jpg

5b32cebc16da0_differentlightright.jpg.e2bdb133ec0e9d9ab29722ffda53fe8a.jpg

im keeping everything crossed that it thickens up alot in the next 5.5 months......!

Hair is slightly shorter in these pics then before (Grade #2 as opposed to #3) as I couldnt really grow it out as it is far too thin on the left side to style as of yet.

Honest opinons requested!

Hey dude,

I see what you mean about it being thinner on the left side than the right. Funny thing is that is exactly what is happening to me too!

At 6.5 months you probably won't be seeing a lot more growth, if any. At this point, it's mostly going to be the maturity factor that pulls your HT together.

I have to say, you're actually looking a little thin on both sides, in my opinion. I would expect more growth/density at this point. However, all is not lost, you could be a late bloomer. Let's keep in mind that it's still early in the game...

On the positive side, when comparing the close-up pics to the ones at a distance, the disparity in density is completely negligible. Nobody will be able to tell the difference. Also, even with your current density, in the photos at a distance, I see that there is a definite improvement. You're temples or corners certainly appear to be filled from a few feet away.

If it doesn't end up coming through, I'm sure a second, relatively minor, procedure could address the shortcomings of this result. You're already one of the lucky few in that your loss is so minimal, but I understand why you'd want to have your temples closed.

Also, is it just me or have you lost a little more hair behind the transplanted area? It definitely looks that way on the photo of your left side. Are you on Propecia or Rogain?

Lastly, after comparing your before pics, where you have lengthy hair, to your after pics with a shaved head, I have to say that you look really good with a shaved head. It's definitely a look you can rock...

Good luck,

Corvettester

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Dorin

1,696 FUT with Dr. Dorin on October 18, 2010.

1,305 FUT with Dr. Dorin on August 10, 2011.

565 FUE with Dr. Dorin on September 14, 2012.

Hey- thanks for the feedback. I thought 6-8 months was the big growth time in HT? Pretty sure I haven't lost any more hair since the Op, when the dr did more in the left side then right side (in the right side ever since the op there seemed like a bit of a gap between the transplant hair and where my thick native hair was, tho I thought this was because the area was shaved). Ive been on Fin for 6 years and have been on Minox once a day since the Op.

Hey- thanks for the feedback. I thought 6-8 months was the big growth time in HT? Pretty sure I haven't lost any more hair since the Op...

Destorius,

I've always read, as well as seen, that the most growth happens between 3-6 months. If you check out my hair loss website and updates, you'll see that this has basically been my personal experience too. Further, several docs have stated as much to me in person. They pretty much told me that I'm lucky to get any significant new growth after 6 months...

I was asking the same question as you on my 6 month update. If you look at my updates you'll find that most of the comments agree with me. A few people such as Joetronic told me to hold out for 8 months, but the vast majority said not to expect much, if any, new growth after 6 months.

Of course, there are the cases of late bloomers, so there is no sense in giving up hope. Also, special considerations for extremely large sessions, etc...

Food for thought... I'm coming up on 10 months post-op and I really haven't seen any noticeable new growth since month 6. I have definitely noticed the difference in the maturity and quality of the new hair since then though... it actually goes a long way in improving the overall look, thank god!

No offense to the posters who told me to wait it out, but I kind of resent it. I mean, I know they had my best interests at heart, but it kind of gave me false hopes. I'm sure that they had seen plenty of cases of late bloomers, so I know that they weren't trying to intentionally mislead me. I, however, try to be as realistic and candid in my responses and analysis as possible. I'm more of a cautiously optimistic person.

Good luck to you though. Your result thus far is nothing to worry about or to really feel disappointed in. You still have time to come through, and even if it doesn't, making it right won't be such an arduous task at all... just more waiting.:(

Corvettester

Edited by corvettester

Hey- thanks for the feedback. I thought 6-8 months was the big growth time in HT? Pretty sure I haven't lost any more hair since the Op, when the dr did more in the left side then right side (in the right side ever since the op there seemed like a bit of a gap between the transplant hair and where my thick native hair was, tho I thought this was because the area was shaved). Ive been on Fin for 6 years and have been on Minox once a day since the Op.

I have to just put my stance on this topic about most growth happening at 6 months. In fact today just by coincidence I posted my latest results at 11 months I also uploaded a comparison from pre op, 6 months , 8 months and today 11 months.

You can clearly see a difference in actual growth as in new hair coverage as well as the quality and thickening I can tell you that Dr Feller went quite the way back towards either side of the crown and only this last month has those areas actually kicked in and covered up as in growth not quality of hair.

see pics here for ref:

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/161446-11-months-update-2250-strip-dr-feller-very-happy.html

Fue has more trauma associated with the graft, torisonal forces and tension on the graft whilst being extracted, they by definition have not the same integrity as a graft dissected from strip, under the comfort of a million doillar microscope.

You have cannot be disappointed at 6 months, I'm still growing at 11 months and I expect the fullness quality to be the final leg of the Ht come 16-18months.

Factoring , FUE's characteristics , individual physiology, blood supply how you react to surgery how can anyone make a fixed statement on maxing out on growth at 6 months??

You have not reached any where near your full potential by 6 months whether that be new growth or thickening and integrity of hair

Wait 12 months before you actually define your result as good or bad.

You have also realize that not all areas will grow at the same time in the same manner as per my own experience. At this early stage just like I was feeling you think there is no where else for growth to come from, yet you will be surprised and when you least expect it you will see another shift of growth 8 - months onwards

hope that makes sense .

:)2250 Strip Dr Feller

:)1900 Strip Dr Feller

-----------------------------------

2 Great HT's & Experiences

Thank you very much for your input - Spex & Ukresponder.

Both of you offered very valid advice and you have put my mind at rest to an extent! I will try and stop analysing things until i hit 12 months and then I can take a checkpoint.

Destorious, Great to see you online.

Please do not worry and dont allow certain people to make you worry either as at 6 months generally the entire process is only approx 50% in see this topic to assist you on :http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/158665-growth-times-patience.html

See all the veteran posters replies/ comments on all the topics linked within it who have had multiple sessions and been around the block a few times and have experience to draw on.

FUE also has shown to take longer to grow so all in all you are only at 50% of final result at this very early stage.

Grow well and drop me a mail.

Best

Spex

I agree Spex has hit this on the head here, I recommend reading this post I did and I can speak from my own experience that 6 months again is way to early to make a call

:)2250 Strip Dr Feller

:)1900 Strip Dr Feller

2 Great HT's & Experiences

Destorious, Great to see you online.

Please do not worry and dont allow certain people to make you worry either as at 6 months generally the entire process is only approx 50%...

Spex,

No need to get defensive, Spex. This is simply a matter of a difference of opinion. I made it quite clear that I was speaking of my case specifically and what a few HTN doctors had told me personally regarding what to realistically expect for new growth.

No offence to you Spex, but I will listen to the doctors when it comes to things like this. I don't doubt your or UKresponder's personal experiences at all... nor do I think you should doubt mine. However, I have my doubts as to how common new growth spurts are after 8 months...

I just don't want to paint a rosy picture for anyone as I feel it can set people up for failure and lead to resentment. I'm certainly not the first person to mention this. Just look at Albion71, for example. Everyone kept telling him to wait, except for Anouar, and look where it got him! This is the same thing that I would tell anyone because this is what most people told me when I was in Destorious’ position.

Further, there seems to be a lot of debate as to the topic of when to realistically expect new growth…

Lastly, I didn't read anything in Destorious' response that sounded like he was prematurely worried. He seemed very calm and collected to me... I certainly hope that I did not cause Destorious any unnecessary worries. I thought I made it clear that he didn't have anything to worry about when I said:

However, all is not lost, you could be a late bloomer. Let's keep in mind that it's still early in the game...

Or when I said:

Of course, there are the cases of late bloomers, so there is no sense in giving up hope. Also, special considerations for extremely large sessions, etc...

Good luck to you though. You're result thus far is nothing to worry about or to really feel disappointed in. You still have time to come through, and even if it doesn't, making it right won't be such an arduous task at all... just more waiting.:(

I hope this clears things up.

Corvettester

Hey Corvetster why do you obsess so much on Dr. Feller and his patients when it’s your own hair transplant job and own doctor you should really worry about?

Destorius, you're looking good man and you are only 6.5 months. It's been stated many times by top docs that FUE grafts grow slower because of the extra work to remove them.There are a few other Feller FUE hairlines on this forum and they all look great.

Edited by Future_HT_Doc
removed TOS violations

Hey Ank,

Welcome to the forum!

Very interesting first post!

I'm flattered that you joined the HTN just to comment on me! No worries though, my friend. A cursory glance at the topic sections will show you that I comment on just about everyone's results. In fact, I've probably commented on about 20 results in the past two days which is easily verifiable. However, you accuse me of obsessing on other member's HTs??? That is the point of the forum... duh!

Further, if you really want anyone to take you seriously, why not criticize my ideas or my opinions. Not once did you even attempt to refute anything I had said... I wonder why?

Nothing you said in your post was even remotely true... obviously, just another pitiful attempt by internet trolls trying to stir up controversy. Don't you have anything better to do with your life? I feel sorry for you.

Now let's get this thread back on topic. We're supposed to be supporting Destorious here, Ank.

Corvettester

Edited by corvettester

Destorius,

I've always read, as well as seen, that the most growth happens between 3-6 months. If you check out my hair loss website and updates, you'll see that this has basically been my personal experience too. Further, several docs have stated as much to me in person. They pretty much told me that I'm lucky to get any significant new growth after 6 months...

I was asking the same question as you on my 6 month update. If you look at my updates you'll find that most of the comments agree with me. A few people such as Joetronic told me to hold out for 8 months, but the vast majority said not to expect much, if any, new growth after 6 months.

Food for thought... I'm coming up on 10 months post-op and I really haven't seen any noticeable new growth since month 6. I have definitely noticed the difference in the maturity and quality of the new hair since then though... it actually goes a long way in improving the overall look, thank god!

No offense to the posters who told me to wait it out, but I kind of resent it. I mean, I know they had my best interests at heart, but it kind of gave me false hopes. I'm sure that they had seen plenty of cases of late bloomers, so I know that they weren't trying to intentionally mislead me. I, however, try to be as realistic and candid in my responses and analysis as possible. I'm more of a cautiously optimistic person.

Good luck to you though. You're result thus far is nothing to worry about or to really feel disappointed in. You still have time to come through, and even if it doesn't, making it right won't be such an arduous task at all... just more waiting.:(

Corvettester

Some interesting points, well made.

I guess everyones different, nice to hear peoples individual experiences.

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/journal.asp?CopyID=10024&WebID=2832

October 2011 - 1647 FUT - Dr Dorin

January 2014 - 1580 FUT - Dr Dorin